PDA

View Full Version : A simple way to improve the monk

eclipsic
2012-03-23, 04:57 PM
Add to the Ki Strike feature some scaling damage akin to a warlock with Eldritch Claws (i.e.: +1d6/2 levels) and make it a touch attack and untyped damage, just like Eldritch Claws/Glaive/Blast.

Make Constitution the primary stat, replacing any ability that relies upon Wis bonus with Con bonus (e.g.: AC bonus).

Having a touch attack and untyped damage means not having to boost Str for damage and attack bonus, and somewhat mitigates the 3/4 BAB progression.

Substituting Con for Wis means mitigating that miserable (for a front line melee fighter) d8 Hit Die, while still being able to power class abilities. I might also throw in the feat(maybe a class feature?) I've heard thrown around that doubles the Con bonus to AC, to make them even more capable of standing in the front line. Their Will save is already good, so they don't suffer too much from the Wis loss.

Being able to dump Wis and Str enables a higher Int, which makes that 4 skill points per level really turn the monk into something resembling a secondary skillmonkey.

What do all y'all think?

Kuulvheysoon
2012-03-23, 05:11 PM
*coughcough* Unarmed swordsage *coughcough*

Psyren
2012-03-23, 05:14 PM
It helps, but it's not enough; "I can fight really well" doesn't get you any higher than T4. To get higher, Monks need to be able to do more, similar to a Swordsage or Psychic Warrior.

The damage boost is welcome, but still scales more slowly than what a Barbarian gets, plus you need to fight unarmed to get this bonus which carries penalties of its own (need obscure feats to gain reach, difficult to trip/disarm, less bonus from power attack etc.) And the anti-synergy between fast movement and flurry remains.

This fix puts it closer to a Barbarian, but I would still give the Barbarian the edge in a fight.

Drelua
2012-03-23, 05:39 PM
Slight problem: full-plate not doing anything to stop a punch makes absolutely no sense. There's no way you can be good enough at unarmed combat that you can ignore armour with your punches. I'm all for making improving Monks, but I can't ignore logic for their sake. If you want inspiration for how to make Monks good, you should look at Legend; they really did a great job with Monks, and basically everything else.

Oscredwin
2012-03-23, 05:41 PM
What about Flurry as a standard action, Wis to hit and damage instead of Str, and the unarmed damage is on top of weapon damage (1d3 for unarmed)and the ability to ignore DR/hardness on one attack as a full round action?

Dex and Wis focused character with 4sp/level and a decent skill list, ignoring hardness gives him OL/DD has stuff to do out of combat. Flurry as a standard action is worse than pounce but more versatile. Wis in place of Strength helps out with MAD. The ability to use a weapon is something they've need (melee combat is based on having a weapon).

That sounds like high tier 4. We can do better.

Super charge their jump (it's not flight, it should be getting animesque by level 10).

So Ex flight with a ceiling by doing cool jumping tricks, being good in a fight and being a decent scout/backup trapfinder. Are we tier 3 yet?

Jack Zander
2012-03-23, 06:17 PM
So Ex flight with a ceiling by doing cool jumping tricks, being good in a fight and being a decent scout/backup trapfinder. Are we tier 3 yet?

Nope. Give them some ways to deal with magic. Maybe a dispelling strike, or the ability to create a small anti-magic field only in their own square (usable with only a mere thought). Now they can't be force-caged along with some other nasty wizard tricks.