PDA

View Full Version : Fighter ACFs Made Better By Making Them Into Feats

Ziegander
2012-03-23, 09:04 PM
Elusive Attack
Prerequisites: Fighter Level 6th
Benefit: Whenever you successfully hit with an attack you gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC that lasts until the start of your next turn.
Normal: Dodge bonuses stack with each other.

Counterattack
Prerequisites: Fighter level 6th
Benefit: When you use the full attack action you may forgo any number of your iterative attacks gained beyond the first attack. If you do, for each attack given up in this way, you may make a melee attack as a free action against an enemy that attacks you in melee. These free action attacks are made at your highest attack bonus and resolve before the enemy's attacks.

Overpowering Attack
Prerequisites: Fighter level 12th
Benefit: Each time in a round that you successfully hit with an attack, all attacks you make against the same target until the start of your next turn deal double damage.
Normal: As per the standard D&D rules for doubling, if you hit with two attacks in a round, your attacks deal triple damage until the start of your next turn. If you hit with three attacks in a round, your attacks deal quadruple damage until the start of your next turn.
Special: Your attacks cannot deal more than quadruple normal damage through the use of this feat.

Resolute Fighter
Prerequisites: Fighter level 1st
Benefit: As an immediate action you may gain a bonus to a single Will saving throw up to your Base Attack Bonus. If you do, you suffer an equal penalty to your Base Attack Bonus until the end of your next turn.

Stealthy Fighter
Prerequisites: Fighter level 1st
Benefit: Whenever you attack a foe that you flank or that is denied its dexterity bonus to AC you deal an extra 1d6 damage. This is precision damage, and is considered Sneak Attack damage for all intents and purposes. You do not deal this extra damage to creatures that you cannot clearly see or strike at, nor do you deal this extra damage to creatures without discernible anatomies (no dice against concealment, cover, or crit immunity).
Special: You may take this feat any number of times, stacking the extra d6s of damage with each other. Each time you take it beyond the first requires two more Fighter levels than the last.

Dungeoncrasher [Tactical]
Prerequisites: Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Sunder, Fighter level 6th
Benefit: This feat grants you the benefit of the following tactical options.

Trap Dodger - You gain a dodge bonus to AC and to Reflex saves against traps equal to half your Fighter level.

Breaking & Entering - You gain a morale bonus equal to your Fighter level to damage rolls when you make a successful Sunder attack and to Strength checks made to break objects or burst from bonds.

Wreak Havoc - Anytime you successfully Bull Rush a creature into a solid surface you deal both the creature and the surface 1d6 points of extra damage per Fighter level plus double your Strength modifier.

NeoSeraphi
2012-03-23, 10:40 PM
Suggested Add-ons:

Armor of God (Fighter)
Prerequisite: Fighter Level 8
Benefit: As an immediate action, you may reduce your base Will save by an amount equal to your base Fortitude save (this can reduce your base Will save to a negative number) and gain a bonus to your Armor Class equal to the reduction. This bonus applies to your touch AC as well. Armor of God is a supernatural ability.

Aligned Strike
Prerequisite: Fighter Level 4th
Benefit: As a free action, you can orient your weapon along one alignment component that you possess. For example, if you are chaotic good, you can make your weapon either chaotic- or good-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. This effect lasts until you choose to end it or change it (as a free action) to the other alignment component, or until you no longer wield the weapon.

Ammunition or a thrown weapon affected by this ability remains aligned until it either strikes a target or misses. Aligned strike is a supernatural ability.

Also, Dungeoncrashing. (I don't have Dungeonscape)

Ziegander
2012-03-23, 11:21 PM
I'd considered Armor of God, Aligned Strike, and Dungeoncrasher. Ultimately, I decided they didn't really work well as feats. Armor of God is just pretty bad, and why would a wonky, divine, supernatural ability be a Fighter-Only feat? Aligned Strike just doesn't even seem worth spending the feat to me. And Dungeoncrasher could work, but it would probably need to be a [Tactical] feat with more prerequisites than simply Fighter level Xth.

Dungeoncrasher could work as a sort of replacement for Combat Brute, probably (of course, as a feat, the Trap Dodger option just comes completely out of left field and makes no sense).

and for the social grace styled counterpart to Dungeoncrasher...

Court Duelist [Tactical]
Prerequisites: Combat Expertise, Improved Disarm, Improved Feint, Fighter level 6th

Society Mind - You gain an insight bonus to Will saves against Charm and Compulsion effects equal to half your Fighter level.

Flashing Steel - You may add your Base Attack Bonus to Bluff checks made to Feint in combat. After you successfully Feint a creature in combat you gain a morale bonus to the damage roll of the next attack you make against that creature equal to your Fighter level.

Flick of the Wrist - Whenever you successfully hit with an attack you may make a Disarm attempt against the struck creature as a free action with a bonus to the attempt equal to the damage your attack dealt.

Ziegander
2012-03-24, 09:53 AM
Overpowering Attack
Benefit: Each time in a round that you successfully hit with an attack, all attacks you make until the start of your next turn deal double damage. Your attacks cannot deal more than quadruple normal damage through the use of this feat.
Normal: As per the standard D&D rules for doubling, if you hit with two attacks in a round, your attacks deal triple damage until the start of your next turn. If you hit with three attacks in a round, your attacks deal quadruple damage until the start of your next turn.

^^^
Too good?

Seerow
2012-03-24, 09:59 AM
Overpowering Attack
Benefit: Each time in a round that you successfully hit with an attack, all attacks you make until the start of your next turn deal double damage.
Normal: As per the standard D&D rules for doubling, if you hit with two attacks in a round, your attacks deal triple damage until the start of your next turn. If you hit with three attacks in a round, your attacks deal quadruple damage until the start of your next turn. And so on.

^^^
Too good?

Probably too good. Add the extra restriction of you have to use it as a standard action attack, and it can be pretty good for some niche builds (mostly those focused on lots of AoOs). Alternatively you could go the other route and limit how high the multiplier will stack. As it is, a fighter who nabs this and focuses on getting lots of secondary attacks will end up really ridiculous very quickly.

NeoSeraphi
2012-03-24, 10:08 AM
Overpowering Attack
Benefit: Each time in a round that you successfully hit with an attack, all attacks you make until the start of your next turn deal double damage.
Normal: As per the standard D&D rules for doubling, if you hit with two attacks in a round, your attacks deal triple damage until the start of your next turn. If you hit with three attacks in a round, your attacks deal quadruple damage until the start of your next turn. And so on.

^^^
Too good?

It makes a Two-Weapon Fighter viable, but it comes pretty late (It's the same as how Arcane Channeling (Full) suddenly makes TWF Duskblade viable at 13). So, I guess that's a good thing, since TWF is terrible otherwise.

Seerow's right, though. For a normal fighter with pounce and Shock Trooper and Leap Attack, this becomes a giant bloody slaughter.

Capping it at x4 would probably weaken it substantially while still making it very usable, so that's my suggestion.

Nero24200
2012-03-24, 10:27 AM
Bookmarked. Like the idea - it means having a class with tons of feats in place of class features actually has some purpose other than level dipping.

Ziegander
2012-03-24, 10:34 AM
It makes a Two-Weapon Fighter viable, but it comes pretty late (It's the same as how Arcane Channeling (Full) suddenly makes TWF Duskblade viable at 13). So, I guess that's a good thing, since TWF is terrible otherwise.

Seerow's right, though. For a normal fighter with pounce and Shock Trooper and Leap Attack, this becomes a giant bloody slaughter.

Capping it at x4 would probably weaken it substantially while still making it very usable, so that's my suggestion.

Yeah, good call guys. Capping it at x4 seems like the most logical and sane direction. What do you think of the Court Duelist feat? Obviously not on the same power level as Dungeoncrasher or some of the other feats, but in the right campaign it seems like it could be quite fun.

Hazzardevil
2012-03-24, 04:14 PM
Court Duelist [Tactical]
Prerequisites: Combat Expertise, Improved Disarm, Improved Feint, Fighter level 6th

Society Mind - You gain an insight bonus to Will saves against Charm and Compulsion effects equal to half your Fighter level.

Flashing Steel - You gain a morale bonus equal to your Fighter level to damage rolls against any foe you have successfully Feinted. You may Feint in combat as a free action once per attack.

Flick of the Wrist - Whenever you successfully hit with an attack you may make a Disarm attempt against the struck creature as a free action with a bonus to the attempt equal to the damage your attack dealt.

Society Mind is good, it gives the fighter some resistance against mind control which is a death sentance to fighters.

Flashing Steel is good, although it is based off a non-class skill.

Flick of the Wrist doesn't add being immune to your opponent tripping you back if you fail, you may want to change that.

Ziegander
2012-03-24, 06:01 PM
Flashing Steel is good, although it is based off a non-class skill.

Drat! I'd forgotten about that. Well, looks like I'll have to nix the free action Feinting in favor of allowing the Fighter to use his BAB in place of his ranks in Bluff. That sucks...

Flick of the Wrist doesn't add being immune to your opponent tripping you back if you fail, you may want to change that.

You're right, it doesn't. It also has nothing to do with tripping. :smallconfused: Of course, Improved Disarm makes it so you can't Disarmed back if you fail, and since Flick of the Wrist is a Disarm attempt, not a Trip attempt, all should be right with the world.

Hazzardevil
2012-03-25, 02:24 AM
You're right, it doesn't. It also has nothing to do with tripping. :smallconfused: Of course, Improved Disarm makes it so you can't Disarmed back if you fail, and since Flick of the Wrist is a Disarm attempt, not a Trip attempt, all should be right with the world.

I meant disarming, I don't know where I got the idea that it was disarming and not tripping, must be because I have played a few lockdown trippers. Although you should add in someone can't disarm you back.

Garryl
2012-03-25, 07:03 AM
What's the duration on Court Duelist - Flashing Steel? Is it the single attack against which the feinted foe is denied Dex? Or is it forever and ever? Or what?

Veklim
2012-03-25, 07:59 AM
Although you should add in someone can't disarm you back.
There is no need to add that in, because Improved Disarm is one of the requirements. I think Zieg tried to say this before, but the trip/disarm confusion overshadowed the point!

Ziegander, nice set of feats dude. These would work so well with my fighter/rogue gestalt of mild annoyance (keeps harrassing the group when they least expect him, hehehe). Counter-attack + Court Duelist (Flick of the Wrist) make for happy fun times for anyone dual wielding, I must say!

Ziegander
2012-03-25, 08:34 AM
What's the duration on Court Duelist - Flashing Steel? Is it the single attack against which the feinted foe is denied Dex? Or is it forever and ever? Or what?

Ah, good question. I made it last for 1 round bah! Why does feinting suck so completely and utterly?! I suppose the damage boost must only apply to the next attack you make...

There is no need to add that in, because Improved Disarm is one of the requirements. I think Zieg tried to say this before, but the trip/disarm confusion overshadowed the point!

Yes, that's right. Improved Disarm is a requirement of Court Duelist. Improved Disarm makes it so if you fail to Disarm your opponent they do not get to attempt to Disarm you back. There is no need to add that language to Court Duelist, since to have Court Duelist you must also have Improved Disarm.

Ziegander, nice set of feats dude. These would work so well with my fighter/rogue gestalt of mild annoyance (keeps harrassing the group when they least expect him, hehehe). Counter-attack + Court Duelist (Flick of the Wrist) make for happy fun times for anyone dual wielding, I must say!

Thank you! Yes, I very much like how Counterattack and Court Duelist work well together.