PDA

View Full Version : Rubicund Frenzy + Healing property (for fun and profit)

odigity
2012-03-23, 09:46 PM
Armor Crystal: Rubicund Frenzy (MIC.26, CL11)

500gp - Least: As long as your current hit point total is no greater than half your full normal hit points, this augment crystal grants you a +1 morale bonus on weapon damage rolls and saves against fear.

2,000gp - Lesser: As the least crystal, except it grants a +3 morale bonus on weapon damage rolls and saves against fear.

6,000gp - Greater: As the least crystal, except it grants a +5 morale bonus on weapon damage rolls and saves against fear.

Armor Property: Healing (MIC.12, CL5, 8,000gp)

When activated, armor that has this property heals you of 2d8+5 points of damage. If your hit points are reduced to –1 to –9, this effect occurs automatically, without requiring any action.

The healing property functions once per day.

Armor Property: Healing, Greater [synergy] (MIC.12, CL15, 24,000gp)

As healing armor, except that greater healing armor heals you of 3d8+15 points of damage.

The greater healing property functions twice per day.

So, you can just not care that you're taking damage because as soon as you drop below half, you start doing more damage, and if you drop below zero, you get auto-healed (but not enough to lose the frenzy) and just keep going, then drop below zero and get auto-healed again (with Healing, Greater).

Maybe not earth-shattering, but this just seems like fun. I can't wait to try it.

Anxe
2012-03-23, 10:04 PM
Neat! I like it.

DarkestKnight
2012-03-23, 10:25 PM
instead of, or perhaps with, the belt there is a feat that allows you to touch someone and heal them for 3 times the highest healing spell you have up to half hp. you could use that to patch yourself up after fights while still getting the rubicund bonus

odigity
2012-03-23, 10:29 PM
Just thought of something - you can't add Healing to your shield to get 4/day instead of 2, because it's armor only. But couldn't you get Bracers of Armor in addition to your actual armor, just to enchant it with Healing? The +1 will be redundant, but it's only 1k gp, so just think of it as a small tax for having the property twice.

For that matter, since the the body slot shares the same affinity as arms for purpose of armor bonuses (MIC.234), you could also craft Robes of Armor +1 for another 1k and echant it with Healing.

So, total cost for maxing out this combo:

6,000 - Rubicund Frenzy, Greater
32,000 - Healing & Healing, Greater (armor)
33,000 - Bracers of Armor +1 w/Healing & Healing, Greater
33,000 - Robes of Armor +1 w/Healing & Healing, Greater

For 104k, anytime you're fighting something challenging, you'll quickly start doing +5 dmg on all hits, and will get auto-healed 6/day for 3d8+15 (avg 28.5) hp before the end.

odigity
2012-03-23, 10:32 PM
instead of, or perhaps with, the belt there is a feat that allows you to touch someone and heal them for 3 times the highest healing spell you have up to half hp. you could use that to patch yourself up after fights while still getting the rubicund bonus

That's clever, but I don't think it's necessary. It's not necessarily preferable to have only half HP just to do more damage. After all, the point of doing more damage is to kill the opponent faster before they can kill you. If you never get to half hp because the opponent wasn't challenging, then you didn't need the boost - if you need it, you'll get it automatically, because a challenging opponent will get you down to half HP.

So you might as well go in with full HP and enjoy the extra time to do as much early damage as possible before getting into frenzy.

Anxe
2012-03-23, 11:51 PM
Adding Robes into it wouldn't work because Robes and Armor use the same magic slot.

Zombulian
2012-03-24, 01:00 AM
Rubicund Frenzy + Rageclaws you mean? :smallbiggrin: If you aren't into the whole "unkillable cheese" kinda thing then YEA! I like this idea very much.

Flickerdart
2012-03-24, 01:14 AM
Healing property is largely pointless, as it only fires between -9 and -1, and then heals you a tiny amount. Even if one hit manages to drop you into this narrow range, the tiny amount of healing from the armour means that the next hit (possibly even in the same attack routine) will kill you.

odigity
2012-03-24, 04:50 AM
Adding Robes into it wouldn't work because Robes and Armor use the same magic slot.

Oh yeah. That was silly of me.

Healing property is largely pointless, as it only fires between -9 and -1, and then heals you a tiny amount. Even if one hit manages to drop you into this narrow range, the tiny amount of healing from the armour means that the next hit (possibly even in the same attack routine) will kill you.

Good point. So, is there a way to solve this? Extend the negative hit point range, or something?

PersonMan
2012-03-24, 07:41 AM
Good point. So, is there a way to solve this? Extend the negative hit point range, or something?

Delay Death is a spell for that. Frenzied Berserker gets unkillable while in a frenzy eventually. Rageclaws help (a bit).

grarrrg
2012-03-24, 08:13 AM
Armor Crystal: Rubicund Frenzy (MIC.26, CL11)

[indent]500gp - Least: As long as your current hit point total is no greater than half your full normal hit points, this augment crystal grants you a +1 morale bonus on weapon damage rolls and saves against fear.

My first thought was take the "Draconic Aura" feat to get the Healing Aura.
It grants Fast Healing 1, but only up to half HP.

Yes I know this is horribly slow, BUT if you're Dragon Blooded the Aura will scale up, healing more (but still only up to half HP).
Combine with some decent DR/Energy Resist and you can stay at half HP all day long.

odigity
2012-03-24, 02:13 PM
Delay Death is a spell for that. Frenzied Berserker gets unkillable while in a frenzy eventually. Rageclaws help (a bit).

Looked it up in SpC - 4th lvl cleric spell that allows HP to go below -9 without dying for a few rounds, very nice. Is there precedent for this spell being used in the crafting of a magic item with similar effect? Could this be added to the armor, or another item to use in conjunction? Would a letter-of-the-law reading of the Healing property mean if you go straight to -10, the auto-heal will not kick in? Because that is, indeed, a narrow margin at higher levels (hadn't occured to me because I'm still low level and not taking more than 20dmg at a time)

Looked up Rage Claws - it involves Essentia, which is a mechanic I have not yet studied. (Still a 3rd edition noob, catching up now.)

My first thought was take the "Draconic Aura" feat to get the Healing Aura.
It grants Fast Healing 1, but only up to half HP.

Yes I know this is horribly slow, BUT if you're Dragon Blooded the Aura will scale up, healing more (but still only up to half HP).
Combine with some decent DR/Energy Resist and you can stay at half HP all day long.

Fast Healing is another mechanic I haven't surveyed fully yet. A quick search revealed lots of related options. Will add to my research list.

PS-I've enjoyed your guides, PersonMan, really helped accelerate my education.