PDA

View Full Version : Some Scout questions

Red_Dog
2012-03-24, 02:40 AM
Hello all. I did not want to post this at Elusive Target thread [even though it is about that], so I figured a small question thread won't be to bad ^^

I am making some scouts and I have few questions.

=>Would Skirmish damage apply on attacks granted by Improved Trip if you are tripping on your turn. Basically by using Elusive Target and scoring free trip attempts that if successful are on my turn give me Improved Trip Attacks. I see no reason why would I not be allowed this.

=>Do shields have armor category? I am aware that Scouts can't wear anything but light armor or they looses benefits. But what about shields? Can scout [if proficient of course, say by fighter dipping] gain all the benefits by carrying a Tower Shield[which does NOT impend movement]? How a bout a Heavy Shield? How about a light shield? A buckler? This is definitely a RAW question...

=>When does Skirmish armor bonus applies? Say I start moving and intend to continue moving for 40 ft. However the first attack against me at 5ft. The next is at 10ft. Would Skirmish apply at 5 ft?

=>This is not explicitly scout related, but still related. With similar question, when would Expeditious Dodge start to apply? After I moved 40ft, or after I intend to move 40 ft?

P.S. Incidentally, if at least first question is correct, than Scouts/Swift Hunters can really make use of Elusive Target ^^.

That is all guys/gals ^^ I hope someone can clear my mind up here ^^ Thanx in advance! ^^

RMS Oceanic
2012-03-24, 04:27 AM
- Skirmish applies on all attacks in your turn, as long as you've moved ten feet
- Shields don't appear to interfere with Skirmish
- You won't gain the AC benefit for the five foot attack. You have to move ten foot to get anything.
- Expeditious Dodge only comes online once you've completed the forty foot move

Red_Dog
2012-03-24, 10:47 AM
- Skirmish applies on all attacks in your turn, as long as you've moved ten feet
- Shields don't appear to interfere with Skirmish
- You won't gain the AC benefit for the five foot attack. You have to move ten foot to get anything.
- Expeditious Dodge only comes online once you've completed the forty foot move

Wow... than if shields do not interfere with skirmish... than There is no reason not to run with a tower shield ^^. Or at least a heavy shield ^^

Also thx for checking everything else ^^ I would guess that this is how it plays out ^^.

Red_Dog
2012-03-24, 04:55 PM
2 more question I guess I would have=>

-> ACF wildshaping Ranger gains fast moving as barbarian. Would this stack with Scout's Fast movement? To my knowledge, 2 different classes=> 2 different source => stack

-> SKIRMISHER BOOTS

Scouts (CAd 10) prize skirmisher boots, but any character can use them to increase combat prowess in a mobile battle. You gain a +2 bonus on damage rolls when you make a skirmish attack. This is a con*tinuous effect and requires no activation.
Typed up straight from MiC. Does this mean that every time I roll skirmish damage I get +2 to every D6? Or do I get a flat +2dmg per successful skirmish attack? or do I roll higher up to maximum of 6?
Which one is it? ^^

Thx in advance guys/gals!^^

Namfuak
2012-03-24, 05:01 PM
Wow... than if shields do not interfere with skirmish... than There is no reason not to run with a tower shield ^^. Or at least a heavy shield ^^

Also thx for checking everything else ^^ I would guess that this is how it plays out ^^.

If you did this and I was the DM, after throwing a book at you I would force you to calculate weight, because you can't use skirmish when carrying a medium or heavy load (though by RAW there is no penalty nor restriction on carrying more than a heavy load, and it specifies medium or heavy load in the description...)*

*Not responsible for the size of thrown books should you decide to take advantage of this.

EDIT: Also, if you use a bow or two handed weapon to attack the same turn, the shield provides no AC.

Red_Dog
2012-03-24, 05:13 PM
If you did this and I was the DM, after throwing a book at you I would force you to calculate weight, because you can't use skirmish when carrying a medium or heavy load (though by RAW there is no penalty nor restriction on carrying more than a heavy load, and it specifies medium or heavy load in the description...)*

*Not responsible for the size of thrown books should you decide to take advantage of this.

EDIT: Also, if you use a bow or two handed weapon to attack the same turn, the shield provides no AC.

Oh, the trick is => Its a Strength based Scout! ^^ Maxing Str & Con gives me all the carrying capacity I ever need ^^ Trust me, I even like "realistic looking" encumbrance ["as in never carrying 20 halberds even though I can"], so I keep the track of loads. It can always just be a mithril Tower shield for people with less strength... ^^

P.S. In reality though, I wouldn't need a Tower shield.
Only a heavy shield as penalty to skills is -2(-1 after being enchanted and therefore master-worked), and the main armor is "Armor in a Jar!"[psicoactive skin] that can be activated by a mental standard action. So until the battle starts, he hides in his underwear and what not, and EVEN if found, he can take a standard action to activate armor, and move action to run thru enemies and start the battle by potentially tripping some of them and smacking them in process ^^

hex0
2012-04-01, 06:23 PM
Dragon Devotee

Flickerdart
2012-04-01, 08:41 PM
2 more question I guess I would have=>

-> ACF wildshaping Ranger gains fast moving as barbarian. Would this stack with Scout's Fast movement? To my knowledge, 2 different classes=> 2 different source => stack

-> SKIRMISHER BOOTS

Typed up straight from MiC. Does this mean that every time I roll skirmish damage I get +2 to every D6? Or do I get a flat +2dmg per successful skirmish attack? or do I roll higher up to maximum of 6?
Which one is it? ^^

Thx in advance guys/gals!^^
A damage roll is the total amount of dice rolled after a successful attack roll. You would only apply the +2 damage once per Skirmish attack.

Curmudgeon
2012-04-01, 09:26 PM
They stack, but not for the reason you think. It's the name that matters (fast movement in both cases), not the class. However, the basic stacking rule has limited scope:
Stacking

In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack (combine for a cumulative effect) if they come from different sources and have different types (or no type at all), but do not stack if they have the same type or come from the same source (such as the same spell cast twice in succession). Speed isn't a modifier used in a check or roll.