PDA

View Full Version : How to DM a 4 PC module with only 2 players?

HunterOfJello
2012-03-24, 04:23 AM
I'm going to be DMing the first adventure in the Age of Worms campaign soon and I've been considering ways to make up for the lack of players that our group has. The group has had trouble finding other people to join us that can match our schedules and gaming times.

I asked the question in IRC of what to do when there are only 2 players in a campaign designed for 4 PCs. I got several answers and have different thoughts about each, but would appreciate more feedback from the people around here.

The ideas I've come across so far are as follows:

Gestalt PCs (didn't work well last time)
Have each player run 2 characters (I fear this one the most)
NPC allies (best option I've had so far)
DMPC (is this ever a good idea?)
Blackmail other friends into joining (I'll keep trying this one)
?????

Right now I'm trying to think of good ways of adding in NPCs that would join the group to help in combat and some skill situations, but wouldn't take the spotlight and definitely wouldn't dominate or lead the group in the ideas department. I'm still considering the best ways to pull this off, and haven't found a solution I'm fully happy with yet.

So, as DMs or players, what would you do in this situation?

Sir_Mopalot
2012-03-24, 04:37 AM
Well, this is not knowing anything about the module in question, but perhaps the characters start at the head of a military squad? just a couple NPCs, ranking lower than the players. The players job is still to be the idea people and probably the primary muscle, but they have the support in both skills and combat that they'll need. If it's a four-character module, I'd put in 4 additional NPCs, but give them inferior attributes or a lower level if the characters are starting at more than level 1.

hymer
2012-03-24, 04:43 AM
In case of Gestalt, you'd have to up them maybe two levels, and make sure each PC has full casting on at least one side - and of course the stat points to back everything up. They'd be suffering from action economy problems.
Running two characters is mostly a question of whether the players are up to it. If one of their extra characters is something fairly simple, and the other more complex (and powerful), it makes combat a tad easier. But it also means one PC takes a backseat to the other. This may or may not be a problem.

NPC/DMPC is the one I'd hate to do. I don't mind having a simple NPC tagging along, giving a little advice on occasion and throwing in a helpful ability when needed, but running something like a full caster while also running the game? No thanks!

Personally, I'd probably hold off on starting a good campaign until there were players enough for it.

Sir_Mopalot
2012-03-24, 04:47 AM
Actually, now that I think about it, and again, this may be my lack of knowledge of the campaign path, but it seems like the most elegant isn't adding to the players side of things, but going through the adventures and making them easier/removing elements that would be impossible for the party at hand to deal with. Almost all my favorite RPG moments have come from games with 2 PCs, so it's certainly possible.

Acanous
2012-03-24, 05:14 AM
no idea what level this is, but encouraging both of them to take Leadership could pull this off. Then each player runs PC+Cohort, which sits better with most DMs than just running 2 extra PCs.

Mystify
2012-03-24, 05:19 AM
What is your problem with them running 2 characters? I frequently play in games where people are managing two characters, and it works fine. Esp. when its simple and they both get two. They will both have plenty of screen time, would be balanced agaisnt each other, and would satisfy the expectations of the module. Whereas if you add in NPCs, you will spend as much time(or more) fighting their half of the battle for them, which is not really a happy balance. You don't want to play D&D against yourself.

Marlowe
2012-03-24, 05:40 AM
Although if you add NPCs, you can run up the tension by killing them off one by one, then stage-manage it so the final confrontation can be pulled off by the PCs.

If you do this, make the NPCs include:

1, a large black man with a large manly weapon (dies first).
2, a middle-aged guardsman type only three days away from retirement.
3, an annoying guy who's here as a representation of your employer. Make him cowardly and completely useless in a fight (bard with low physical stats but lots of skills?), but also with a charmed life until very near the end, where he will do either something incredibly courageous and vital that gets him killed or just die in an utterly anticlimactic fashion while bragging about how lucky he's been.
4, A tough, competent brown-skinned female who will be the last to die.

I think there's some sort of rule you have to organize your disposable minions this way. At least if you're Good. Evil is more equal-opportunity.

The Mentalist
2012-03-24, 05:47 AM
Player A plays a Wizard and reads LogicNinja or TreantMonk's guide

Player B plays a Druid and reads any of the many guides. (I recommend the BG one)

You will have to level up the final boss.

More seriously, there are ways to modify a mod to make it fit your table.

Sir_Mopalot
2012-03-24, 05:53 AM
Just make sure they have a rogue, whether the rogue is a PC, an NPC tagalong or henchman, or really anything. At low levels especially, not having anyone with trapfinding is a huge pain.

u-b
2012-03-24, 07:28 AM
As another option, if your players are flexible enough and/or did not already decide on what they want to play, I'd alow some gestalt (for level 1 only or for half other class levels or such) to have all bases covered and bumped starting funds a bit to allow for good animals. I suppose, a two primary casters with some limited gestalting and some melee meat will do just fine.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-03-24, 09:07 AM
Depending on the level of the modula:

Start the PCs off one level higher (or two, depending on level of optimization).

For example, an adventure built for four level 5 PCs would instead have two level 6 or 7 PCs (7 if low-op). Now, your PCs are tough enough to survive reasonably well on their own.

Besides, halving and doubling the number of enemies affects the encounter CR by 2, right? Why can't that work for the PCs, too?

u-b
2012-03-24, 10:20 AM
Hmm... I think the approach of buffing PC's levels will tend to make encounter outcomes less stable. With wise use of 2700 gold starting wealth they will easily burn through many of beginning encounters, but if one ever fails a save against something good (bad), the other will have to deal with things on his own, which is not a lot of combat actions per round. I would not use this with modules as written, without some tuning.

Anxe
2012-03-24, 10:20 AM
I would gestalt them at 2 levels higher as already said. They still have an action economy problem. Let them roll initiative twice in every combat and they get to act on both counts.

I think you've already found the best ideas for other solutions, so just pick your favorite.