PDA

View Full Version : New Frontier IC I - Shadow and Sand

Pages : [1] 2

3SecondCultist
2012-03-24, 08:51 AM
Armaril, Beredin, Aaron, Kessel: "Land ho!" From your position on the deck, you can hear the elation in the voice of the sailor in the rigging above. You cannot see the coast of Arrakesh yet, but it seems to be close. All around you, the crew of the Windcutter rushes about, securing barrels and strapping themselves to the main mast with ropes. Your knees nearly buckle as another wave rocks the ship. The water has been getting more choppy over the last hour or so. In the distance, you can see the unmistakable anvil cloud formation that heralds the arrival of a storm.
"I would secure yourselves or get below deck, if I were you. It seems the Nine themselves are opposed to our arrival." The speaker, a youthful, dark-skinned man in a fine tunic and leather boots, smiles at you ruefully. He carries a dagger on his hip, and looks at home on a ship, but he is only a passenger like you.
"The captain looks worried that we won't make it in time."

Old-Steel: A wave of energy runs through your body, jolting every metal ligament and surging up the composite plate that is your skin and armor. You feel your fingers curl and uncurl for the first time in millennium. As your body adjusts to the change in chamber density, the door to your mind opens. Flashes of memory from another age: a dimly lit laboratory, full of vats and pieces of heavy machinery. A circle, covered in runes and lit by green lightning. Finally, an immense pyramid of obsidian, slowly sinking beneath the sands as the landscape crumbles. Years of recorded data, all streaming through at the same time. You can feel your very essence stretched out to nearly to breaking point. After a time, the images begin to fade. As you adjust to your newfound, largely memory-free sentience, you notice that you are in an angular chamber, made of a dark metal and lit by soft green light. You are lying on a slab of the same material. However, one of the walls has collapsed, revealing a cavern passage beyond. From behind the dust and rubble, you can see a score of faces, staring at you incredulously.

Trodon
2012-03-24, 09:12 AM
Old-Steel stands up, though very stiff and unnatural-looking. He tilts his head at the faces, but staying silent. He glances around the room for a moment, then returns to the faces.

Duskranger
2012-03-24, 09:19 AM
Aaron

The oldlooking grey haired man nods towards the man. He did understand that the land and the gods would not accept him. Still he hoped they could land safely and feel the land under their feet. He hated the sailing, he hated the feeling of the ship. This journey had been hell to him. He needed to change the bandages multiple times. He did have some money left luckily. Hopefully enough to sponsor his search and find that certain healer.

Thanks for the advice, though I almost know for sure that my stomache would not mind it if I died, nor would my body at this moment. From the start it was apparent that sailing was not my mode of travel. If you all can excuse me. With those words did Aaron leave the group ,uncertain if he would ever get to land. He took the rope he borrowed from a couple of sailors and tied himself to his bed.

Let's hope I won't die. Let's hope the gods do give me another chance.

Roguenewb
2012-03-24, 10:58 AM
Kassad

Kassad stares at the approaching storm. His lips ress together, concern crossing his otherwise unlined face. A ship desperately trying to make a port before a storm? That's a classic! Finally, a real adventure, like the stories!

Kassad's frown dissolves, replaced by the start of a confident smile. He checks his spellbook in it's oilskin sheath on his left hip, and the two daggers he bought off that woven merchant on his left wrist and right thigh. Convinced everything is tight and as it should be. He turns to the man with a growiv excitement.

"Can I help?"

3SecondCultist
2012-03-24, 11:26 AM
Kassad, Beredin, Armaril: Even as Aaron leaves to go below-decks, you can see the storm approaching. The flashing silver of the water against the oncoming black paints a terrible picture, and in the midst of the clouds, you can see lighting. After several seconds, you can also hear the roar of thunder. The young man, as he secures his life-line to the main mast along with the others, laughs at Kassad's question.
"There isn't much we can do now, only pray that we make it through alive."

Aaron: As you descend, you see several sailors making their way above. They do not want to be caught down here if the ship capsizes, it seems. One elven sailor is virulently sick, leaning over one of the rails to hurl the contents of her stomach back into the raging swells. After about a minute of climbing and balance, you find yourself at your bunk, and successfully secure yourself to it.

Old-Steel: "What is it?" The laborers seem genuinely puzzled at your awakening. Several are afraid, although they do not leave. One of them, a painted elf, seems to be in charge. She approaches you carefully.
"Do you speak the common [language]?"

For the purposes of the game, let's say Old-Steel can speak Common (although an archaic variety of it). The two dialects are somewhat interchangeable, although until your character fully picks it up, some of what NPCs say might be lost in translation. We'll call your dialect Archaic, for fun. :smallamused:

Roguenewb
2012-03-24, 11:33 AM
Kassad

"Okay... if you're sure. I guess I'll go below." Kassad says with a bit of sadness tinging his voice. Taking one last look at the growing storm, Kassad swallows down a bit of regret and a growing amount of fear before jogging off towards the entrance to the under parts of the ship.

Hbgplayer
2012-03-24, 01:55 PM
Armaril sighs heavily with frustration. "Well, Whitefeather, should we get out of the weather as best we can?
" He asks the brilliantly white bird perched on his shoulder.
"No, I think we should go to the top of the mast and stand there like a lightning rod!" The bird cracks back,"Of course we should get some shelter!"
Armaril snorts and shakes his head, pulls the hood of his cloak up over his head, and wanders towards the aft of the ship, and tries to tuck in under an overhang as much as possible. He briefly thought about heading below decks, but quickly remembers the lecture at the beginning of the voyage about the risk of capsizing in a storm.

Holice
2012-03-24, 11:01 PM
Beredin

Smiling as the young man says to pray. Beredin laughs a little as he looks towards him.

In a light hearted tone, Beredin says to the young man,
"Why is that when times look meek there is always someone telling us to pray? Perhaps we should have prayed a little more before we set sail and we wouldn't be in this predicament?"

But before allowing anyone to answer, Beredin gives a slight bow and moves away from the edge of the ship, securing a seat a little closer to the middle of the main deck.

3SecondCultist
2012-03-24, 11:28 PM
Beredin: "Perhaps the gods aren't listening?" The man (introduced at the beginning of your voyage as Lumeer) is trembling as he takes a seat on the planking beside you. He seems quite unprepared for his end.
"If you make it through and... if I don't, could... could you deliver a message for me?"
From his tunic, he pulls out a letter. It is sealed in wax, although the insignia has been somewhat smudged.
"Please... bring this to Lord Djoser, at the Temple of the Nine in Haifolex. He... he will know what- " He is cut off as you hear a fateful crack. The mast begins to break, as the wind howls more strongly. The sailors are in a full-on panic know, desperately securing themselves to anything that will keep them afloat. Lumeer begins to pray, but his pleas are short lived. He is soon dragged, kicking and screaming, by what would have been a lifeline, wrapped around his waist, as the mast is ripped right off the ship and into the dark depths of the ocean. The Windcutter is collapsing. As you look around, you see a massive wave, taking hold of the ship's frame. The last thing you see before you pass out is the coastline, several miles away, illuminated by lightning.

The ship is pretty much sunk already. The events above apply to all four of you. Obviously, I am not going to kill your characters off just yet, but I would like a post from the four of you as to your character's last split-second reaction to their very apparent death.

Hbgplayer
2012-03-25, 01:36 AM
"Frack!" Armaril curses in Elven as he sees the main mast snap. "Fly Whitefeather, Fly! Land on something floating in the water that you can hang onto in this hellish weather if my spell doesn't work! I'll meet you on land!" He screams as he runs to the edge of the ship, already going through the motions of summoning a celestial porpoise to hang onto in the water.

Concentration check: DC 16: [roll0]

He is relieved to see that his spell has actually worked, and dives in and grabs hold of the newly summoned creature. "Take me in as close to land as possible in the amount of time you remain here!" He instructs the porpoise in Celestial.

Duskranger
2012-03-25, 02:33 AM
Aaron

He feels the ship shaking and turning. Just as his stomache makes another turn, he hears the creaking and shaking sound. He hears it coupled with the cracking of wood, it sounds again like the cave. He puts his hands over his head and goes instinctively in a fetal position.

I will protect you, as long as you carry me I will protect you. Those are the last words as he feels the ship being ripped in pieces while he is still tied to his bed.

Trodon
2012-03-25, 10:24 AM
Old-Steel look to the elf, he ponders for a moment, as if he doesn't know the answer. "I do." He continues to flex his fingers and other small joints getting used to them.

Roguenewb
2012-03-25, 11:08 AM
Kassad

Kassad is sitting on his bunk reading his well worn copy of his favorite book, The Travels of Jain Farstrider, when he hears the shouts, screams, and the thunderous crack of the main mast snapping. Kassad sits staring for a second....I have to get on deck!, Kassad realizes with a start. Quickly, he throws his book into the top of his pack, closes it, and throws it across his shoulders. He starts into the hallway to head to the surface of the ship.

He gets past a handful of doors before realizing people might be sleeping or trapped or....something below decks. For a second he debates with himself, whether to go for the deck or look for people. Light blast it... Kassad starts throwing open doors and looking into rooms, looking for anyone who doesn't know/needs help to get on deck.

Just a little bit longer.... Please don't sink, please don't sink, please don't sink....

Holice
2012-03-25, 05:13 PM
Beredin

Standing up to receive the letter from Lumeer, Beredin makes no more than a step before he hears it. Looking around, deck hands seem to be frantic, and any assurance that Beredin had of a safe journey quickly diminishes.

Watching the mast completely break free of the ship and go over board, he see Lumeer going over with it.

Shouting "No", Beredin makes a futile dive for Lumeer but all is for nothing, as he slips, and falls far short of helping anyone.

Turning over on his back, he sees the wave that will engulf the ship and ultimately himself. "Well I never thought it would end this way", he says aloud, "Let's hope I've done enough good to atone for all the bad....."

3SecondCultist
2012-03-25, 05:43 PM
Armaril: As the beast appears from the Celestial Realms, you leap on its back, managing to hold on as you flee the sinking ship. Even above the storm, you can hear the futile cries of the sailors and the other passengers as a monstrous wave crashes down upon it, tearing it apart at the seams. Fortunately, you are rather close to shore, and you can already feel the tide as it drifts towards the Arrakeshi coastline. Your porpoise makes it far, and it only takes about a minute for you to make your way into the shallows. You can see the remains of the ship, broken into sections of flotsam, drifting slowly towards you. It seems as though there is some hope for the others.

Old-Steel: At the mechanical popping of your limbs, several of the workers cringe, muttering amongst themselves. The leader silences them with a gesture. She turns to you, her face marked with a combination of awe and terror.
"My name is Kade. I am the [manager] of this facility, a [private] mining operation. Who or what are you?"

Trodon
2012-03-25, 06:28 PM
Old-Steel replies. "I... do not know who or what I am. What are you?"

Duskranger
2012-03-26, 08:40 AM
Aaron

Awakened by a feeling of something poking him he suddenly wakes. He looks in the beaks of a couple of seagulls.

Go away I'm not dead, go find another meal. He shouts while looking around. When he tries to get up he rocks the piece of flotsam he is lying on and falls into the water. Splashing he is suddenly completely awake. He feels the burning sun on his head. While he climbs on the piece of wood he notices that it's his bunk that he is lying on. He also notices the rope, which he used to tie himself up, still around his chest. He grabs his bag and uses one of his daggers to cut himself out of the rope harnass. He watches the direction where the gulls flew at and starts peddeling, hoping that the land would be there.

Hbgplayer
2012-03-26, 12:02 PM
Through the mental link with his familiar, Armaril sends an impression of where he is to Whitefeather, hoping to save the bird from the raveges of the storm. Imeadiatly after, he scans the rough sea to see if he can spot any fellow survivors of the wreck, and on the chance that there are survivors that cannot see where the land is, he casts Flare into the air, to help guide people to land.

Concentration Check: DC 5 (or 10, if there's hail and such): [roll0]

3SecondCultist
2012-03-26, 12:39 PM
Aaron, Beredin, Kassad: As the Waverunner collapses, you all manage to find your way onto flotsam as it slowly drifts towards the shoreline. Above you, the storm still rages, although after several minutes it begins to calm down somewhat. By the portents of the clouds, it seems as though the worst has passed. All of a sudden, you can see what looks to be a flaming signal, illuminating the coast less than a mile to the west. You can see Armaril waiting on the beach, his raven alighting by his side.

Old-Steel: The group seems somewhat mollified by the lack of hostile reaction so far, although several of them still carry expressions of fear.
"We are miners. We dig the dirt for valuables, like [ores]. We live nearby, in the [town] of Haifolex, and have been [contracted] to dig in the area." They begin to explain their process, using a magically charged explosive to open up caverns and test for structural weaknesses, before setting up support structures and designating high priority areas.

I will use the square brackets for words that are not programmed in Archaic. Once your character learns what they mean, they will be replaced by the word.

Trodon
2012-03-26, 01:09 PM
"I do not understand, what is a '[unknown]'?' He looks around the room for anything familiar.

Referring to the first [unknown].

Duskranger
2012-03-26, 01:12 PM
Aaron

Seeing the flash, he knew he was going towards the right direction. Reaching the beachm he only needs to walk about half of a mile before he would reach the area where one of the other travelers would be. Hopefully the signal would not attract other people than the survivors. Even though he could surprise them with his fighting prowess, or if the need would be, with the lifesucking magic he called his own. The only thing that repressed his illness, at this point.

I will be free, finally freed from this. Now only to find the healer.

He moved with his slow but steady speed, untill he reached the man that had apparantly fired that thing in the air.

Spellcraft to identify the spell cast by the person on the beach: [roll0]

If you would prefer rolling for this the next time 3secondcultist go ahead :).

You also made it to land I see. That makes two for now. Did you see any other survivors or are we the only two? Aaron asks while almost falling down in the sand. He is tired and only now feels the ache of the crash.

Roguenewb
2012-03-26, 01:30 PM
Kassad

Kassad burst above water, shaking it clear from his face. Two minutes underwater of struggling amid the crumbling underdecks of the Waverunner has exhausted the never-strong young man. He treads water for a second, before grabbing a piece of floating timber.

"Great start to my adventure.... At least I tried I guess...." Kassad speaks aloud for a moment, before spitting more salt water from his lungs, and using a hand to push his soaked hair back from his face.

Now what? Kassad ponders for a moment as the storm pounds down around him. Finally, just before Kassad kicks free of the wreckage on a random course, he sees the burst of light off in the distance. He squints and screws his up as hard as he can, catching sight of the elven passenger from the now sunk ship. He sighs and swallows deeply, then sets off as strong as he can towards the flare, and the shore...

Holice
2012-03-26, 01:35 PM
Beredin

Despite knowing he would die, Beredin was unusually calm, in what appeared to be his final moments. As the world around him was going dark, Beredin used his last conscious thought to pray to Re-Horakhty, and thank the gods for all he had been given.

Suddenly, from underneath a huge barrel and other misc flotsam came rising from beneath him, and so buoyant was the debris that it allowed Beredin to float to the surface. Whether this was Divine intervention or pure luck, he was just happy to be breathing air again.

Looking West, he could make out what seemed to be a flare or light of some sort, on the shores not to far from his location.

"You've been given another chance, no let's get to shore," he said to himself. And he begin paddling with some drift debris that was scattered around the wreck. As he approached the shore, he notices a man standing along the shore, and what appears to be another sitting in the sand.

"Hello there" he yells out, desperately hoping for a bit of assistance as makes his final strokes onto shore.

3SecondCultist
2012-03-26, 04:52 PM
Old-Steel: The painted elf elf turns towards you, confused at first.
"Ores? They're... metals, of sorts, hidden in the earth. They have value, so we trade them for [coins], which we use to [buy] other things." As she speaks and you search the area, you notice what looks to be a large, rectangular depression in the wall opposite the passage. There is a faint green glow outlining it.

Trodon
2012-03-26, 10:11 PM
Old-Steel goes to the depression, completely ignoring the elf, and inspects it.

So, Not sure if I need a search check or not. I'll roll just in case. [roll0]

Roguenewb
2012-03-27, 06:56 AM
Kassad

Kassad finally makes shore. He drags himself free of the water on the shore in front of The man and the elf that were his fellow passengers. Standing on the sand, he doubles over and begins to retch up seawater. He finally finishes clearing his lungs and gasping for air.

"Thanks for the light. Without it Id probably still be drifting out there. Did anyone else make it out? Oh, I'm Kassad by the way.... Kassad Immel, adventurer." Kassad says cheerily, holding out his hand before the man and the elf.

3SecondCultist
2012-03-27, 07:30 AM
Old Steel: As you approach, the green outline begins to glow brighter. Upon you inspection, you realize that it is a set of inner doors to what looks to be an alcove. When you touch it, you hear a rumbling, and the door opens, revealing a two-bladed sword. The elf wears an expression of awe.
"What is this place?"

Duskranger
2012-03-27, 07:47 AM
Aaron

Sadly not yet. The elf is a silent fellow though. He has not spoken since I came here. But take a seat, we can wait untill there is no one else coming here for certain. Aaron says, for security he draws his bow and nocks a single arrow, before he lays his bow on his lap.

Holice
2012-03-27, 07:57 AM
Beredin

With the help of one last wave, Beredin finally reaches the sandy shore. Spitting in vain to remove the salt taste from his mouth, Beredin walks up to the three on the beach.

"Thanks for the help," he tells them sarcastically, as he breathes deep.

Looking more tired than upset, he adds, "My apologies for the remark, I realize that this is a troubling situation for everyone. My name is Beredin, and I do not believe we ever officially met on the ship."

With that he turns to look back out on the sea, hoping to find more survivors.

Trodon
2012-03-27, 08:29 AM
Old-Steel takes the sword, and twirls it a bit. "I can use this..." He turns back to the elf. "I do not know I have no, memories." He gazes at the ancient sword. "It is well crafted." He says more to himself than the elf.

Roguenewb
2012-03-27, 08:42 AM
Kassad

"My apologies....uh...Beredin was it? I'm afraid what little strength I usually have is quite spent at this point. My name is Kassad, by the by, Kassad Immel. With you that makes four so far to make it to shore. Did you see anyone else on the way to land? I'm afraid I don't know where Arrakesh is, so unless you do, I'm afraid you've survived the storm just to starve". Kassad says, growing sarcastic as he speaks.

Kassad spins around looking for any sign of anything.

spot check[roll0]

3SecondCultist
2012-03-27, 08:53 AM
Kassad, Armaril, Beredin, Aaron: The beach stretches to the north and the south, the grains reaching to eternity. The unfenced existence of sand, salt and water seems endless. The wreckage and flotsam of what used to be the Windcutter begins to float into the shore. Above you, the storm begins to calm, although the sky is still stained a slate grey. To the west, the horizon reaches as far as the first set of dunes, behind which very little is visible.

Hbgplayer
2012-03-27, 09:23 AM
Whitefeather lands on Armaril's shoulder looks at the goings on. He notes the three people approaching, and waits for Armaril to respond, but he doesn't. Finally, when the third person crawls out of the water and Armaril still hasen't responded, he says, loudly, "HELLO? ARE YOU IN THEIR? CONTROL TO MAJOR OBLIVIOUS!" He then delivers a series of painful pecks to the soft spot right behind his ear.

"OW! What, oh, Hello," Armaril jumps, and is startled back to the here and now. "Sorry about that, I guess the shock of all of this put in a kind of trance. My name's Armaril Aust, and the loudmouth on my shoulder is my familiar, Whitefeather."

3SecondCultist
2012-03-27, 09:55 AM
Old-Steel: Kade walks up to you, obviously examining both you and the sword up close. She does not even try to conceal it, her eyes wide with curiosity. Behind her, several of the workers have left, presumably going to file a report of some kind.
"The metal... it is a strange alloy. I've never seen it before. You said you had no memories. Hmmm. Maybe you should- " She is cut off by a scream from one of the adjacent passages. A low growl permeates the space. Kade and the two other workers in the chamber look around wildly, drawing weapons. Something else is here.

Holice
2012-03-27, 10:10 AM
Beredin

"It is a pleasure to meet you all, and while I would fully enjoy to get to know you better, we have some decisions to make. First and foremost, do we set off North, South or West, or do we make camp here and hope a passing ship finds us?"

Looking around at the miscellaneous debris that is washing ashore, Beredin wonders if he can find anything useful for the journey ahead.

Just as Beredin finishes his searching he remembers Lumeer and the letter for Lord Djoser, at the Temple of the Nine in Haifolex. Quickly searching his person he wonders if he still has it on him, or if he lost it at sea.

Duskranger
2012-03-27, 10:28 AM
Aaron

I think moving is the best option. I mean since Arrakesh is a nation that trades a lot as long as we follow the shore we hopefully will find some safeheaven. I do not know though if I could make it. I am weakened by the travel, and think we can only hope that one of the waterbarrels from the ship gets here. Food, is another problem, but less necessary. So what are your plans. I'm Aaron, sorry I do not stand up, but I am very tired and almost out of energy. On the other hand, we can wait and see if we see a Lighthouse, every tradeport should have one. That does mean we need to collect rubbish from the ship and make a fire. Which in turn means that we need to protect ourselves from possible attackers. Aaron looks around. Than slowly stands up, a bit slowly and visibly wobbly.

Let them for now think I am a feeble old man. That way I can better keep an eye on them. And we will see, for now I will need them, besides that there should be more survivors. Sailors don't die that easily.

Roguenewb
2012-03-27, 10:29 AM
Kassad

Kassad thinks for a moment. "How about....west? I'm afraid I don't have little insight. Divination isn't my strong suit....."

Kassad looks at his feet, slightly abashed.

Hbgplayer
2012-03-27, 10:32 AM
"I say we try to find civilization. We were nearing a port before the ship sunk, right? That means we shouldn't be too far away, Armaril says in response to Beredin, "and certainly not far enough away to starve to death! Here, I have an idea," he states as he turns his head to look at Whitefeather. "Could you fly around for a bit and see if you see any signs of civilization? Or did you see any on your way in?"
NINJAS!--I'll let the DM answer as Whitefeather this time.

3SecondCultist
2012-03-27, 11:43 AM
Aaron, Armaril, Beredin, Kassad: The raven, from Armaril's shoulder, caws twice before responding.
"I saw what looked like a camp, just to the west of here. There were several campfires, and what looked to be tents, but I couldn't see much more than that. There is also what looks to be a small port town, much farther to the south-west of here. I could barely see it. If you like, I can do some more scouting from above. I'll fly so high, anyone looking will think me a vulture or similar native bird." Whitefeather looks around at the three of you, waiting for confirmation. In the grey half-light of the early morning, you can see what looks to be a sailor, clutching a plank of wood. They wave towards the coast frantically, obviously searching for other survivors on the shore.

Trodon
2012-03-27, 11:49 AM
Old-Steel turns in the direction of the scream, then back to the elf. He simply says "Come." Then he runs to the origin of the scream.

Duskranger
2012-03-27, 11:50 AM
Aaron

It's your bird, it's your choice Armaril. I would say, wait, collect some more sailors, wait for survivors and than move with each other. Or at least wait untill we have 1 or 2 more survivors and tell them where we go and where it's probably safe. That's what I suggest at least.

Hbgplayer
2012-03-27, 11:56 AM
"I agree; Whitefeather, instead go fly see if you can see any more survivors of the wreck, please. Oh, and tell them that there are survivors on the shore." Armaril requests. "Are any of you decent swimmers, or have enough energy to help others? I still have energy, but I'm certainly not the best swimmer ever, especially not in these robes," he says as he gesturse to the sopping wet red with blue hemming robes that he's wearing.

"Sure thing boss," Whitefeather says as he takes off, rises to about 50 feet, and flys out towards the sailor that they can see. He tells him about the small group of survivors, then begins looking for others that are still alive.

3SecondCultist
2012-03-27, 12:03 PM
Old-Steel: As you turn the corner, you enter what looks to be an underground passage of sorts. The walls are obviously dug out by hand, with several locations where it seems as though an explosive of sorts has been detonated. Wooden scaffolding supports dot the tunnel, but the space is largely open. The passage is about ten feet across. However, your attention is directed immediately to the creature standing over the corpses of two miners. Jacketed in coal black plate and clutching a prodigious scimitar, this jackal-headed humanoid looks like a juggernaut of death. Its hands are covered in blood, and a feral grin is painted on its mouth. It growls once again, eyes widening slightly at your presence. Directly behind you, Kade and the other two workers draw sharp breaths, and ready their weapons.

Roll initiative now, I believe?
Enemy: [roll0]
Miners: [roll1]
All three workers will act at the same time. I don't do combat graphs, though.
Aaron, Armaril, Beredin, Kassad: The raven takes flight, circling the remains of the merchant ship three times, alighting on the wreckage. After several minutes, it returns.
"Most of the crew is dead or missing. Right now, I have found two living survivors, a dwarf and a human woman." As the raven speaks, you can see both figures, making their way through the salt water towards the beach.

Trodon
2012-03-27, 12:12 PM
Old-Steel grips his 'new' weapon, and glares at the opponent.

Initiative: [roll0]

Roguenewb
2012-03-27, 12:27 PM
"We should head to the camp, and see if we can get help from some people who aren't exhausted from swimming for their lives. Unless you have a better idea..." Kassad says, looking around for confirmation.

Hbgplayer
2012-03-27, 12:32 PM
"That seems like a reasonable idea," Armaril replies. "How about one or two of you go ahead, and I'll stay here in case I need to help anybody, and to give anyone still out there hope.

Roguenewb
2012-03-27, 12:39 PM
kassad

"Ill head out. I'm used to long walks. How about I take the Knight with me, and leave the sick Guy with you?". Kassad says. When he finishes speaking, he catches what he said and looks to Aaron and Beredin Ans stutters out explanation and aapology

Duskranger
2012-03-27, 12:48 PM
Aaron

It's not that I'm sick now, the fact is that I was seasick, could not hold my food, and therefore have no energy does not make me sick. I do need some food and water though, so if you could provide me with that from there please do. How do you think you will find the way back though? And by the way, apologies excepted.

Roguenewb
2012-03-27, 01:06 PM
Kassad

"Send the bird after me in an hour or two....seems obvious to me". Kassad says offhandedly. "One of you guys with me, Leta do it before we lose more daylight!" Kassad takes a few backing steps in the general direction and gestures for someone to follow him.

Holice
2012-03-27, 01:13 PM
Beredin

Walking back out to sea, Beredin catches only fragments of the discussion at hand regarding the path we should take. His attention is instead focused on the dwarf and woman coming into shore.

"Before we do anything, perhaps we should help these new arrivals?", Beredin says as a question to all.

With that he walks back out into the surf to assist the two other survivors.

As he approaches them, he yells, "Hello there!"

3SecondCultist
2012-03-27, 01:21 PM
Beredin: On the beach, the two sailors manage to make their way to the shallows. The dwarf is breathing extremely heavily, his waterlogged clothing bearing down on his squat frame like a weight. The woman, however, seems fresh. Her blonde hair is already drying, and her expression seems... almost lively.
"Hello there! Do you happen to know where we've landed?"

Old-Steel: The monster bursts into motion more swiftly than you or the miners, managing to reach you before you can properly react. It attacks immediately, although for some reason it does not attack you directly, instead immediately trying to knock your two-bladed sword out of your hands, the silver crescent of its great falchion shimmering in the torchlight.

Okay... disarming time. Firstly, you get to roll an attack of opportunity against the monster (the miners do not, being behind you and thus not adjacent to the monster). Assuming your attack does not land, I will roll to save time. If it does, disregard this and you will be able to disarm it yourself.
Disarm roll: [roll0]
It gets such a high modifier for two reasons - one, it is Large, and two, it is carrying a two-handed weapon. Therefore, it gets a nice big bonus on all of those sorts of combat actions.
Armaril: With your keen sight, you manage to see a small group of figures - no more than four - cresting the sand dunes to the west. They seem to be wearing armor of sorts, and approaching fast. They are already almost within speaking distance. After several seconds, you make out blades in their hands, and bows strapped across their backs. Moreover, you can see that they are clearly monstrous in nature, their skin being rough and a dark, mottled orange.

Trodon
2012-03-27, 01:33 PM
At the monster charges, Old-Steel thrusts with his sword.

AoO: [roll0]

Damage if I hit: [roll1]

Holice
2012-03-27, 01:35 PM
Beredin

"Sadly, I have no idea where we are. Fortunately thou, we are not alone," Beredin tells the two sailors as he points behind himself. "Let us join the others and as I believe they have decided on our future course of action."

Beredin leads the way back to the make shift camp of his fellow survivors, and turning his head back to the sailors he says, "By the way I did not properly introduce myself, I am Beredin, and who might you two be?"

3SecondCultist
2012-03-27, 01:45 PM
Old-Steel: The beast is halted mid-blow, your sword thrust catching it right in the side. Yelping, it moves backwards by about five feet, allowing for some space between the two of you. In between its plates of armor, you can see its dark blood oozing from a nicely-sized gash in its hide. It drips to the floor, mixing with the already-existing pool from the dead miners. The monster's grin has been transformed into somewhat of a grimace: it looks genuinely surprised that you were able to wound it so easily.

Your turn. :smallamused:

Roguenewb
2012-03-27, 01:51 PM
Kassad

Kassad turns and walks into the west towards the indicated camp. "I'll be back with help!".

Trodon
2012-03-27, 01:51 PM
Old-Steel shifts forward, then slices at the monster's hand, hoping to relieve it of it's weapon.

Using Disarming Strike. I attack, if the attack hits I try to disarm it, he doesn't gt an AoO against me and there is no risk of me being disarmed if he wins the opposed roll.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Disarm should I hit, including the +4 for having a two-handed weapon: [roll2]

Hbgplayer
2012-03-27, 03:04 PM
"Look out! Trouble, headed our way!" Armaril fairly screams pointing at the newcomers bearing down on them.
wont be able to post for at least 6 hours
What do you know, I got a break at work!

Roguenewb
2012-03-27, 06:08 PM
Kassad

Kassad hears Armaril's shout, and immediately drops into a crouch. As he gets low to the ground, the exhaustion almost overwhelms him, and he staggers for a few steps before catching and stabilizing himself. I can't fight like this.... Here's hoping I remember enough of what Dad taught me...

Kassad crouches as low as he can, and checks his spell component pouch, and draws the dagger from his left wrist, and while concealing himself as best he can, tries to peer at what Armaril was warning him of.

Hide Check [roll0]
Spot check [roll1]

3SecondCultist
2012-03-27, 07:22 PM
Kassad: From your vantage point, sand in your mouth, you can see little. However, you do hear their guttural language as the four creatures begin to spread out, and they don't seem to see you either. They seem to have heard Armaril's cries of warning. As you made some progress westward, they are bearing straight down on your position. You must move quickly if you are to surprise them.

Old-Steel: As you move forwards to press the offensive, the monster growls menacingly, but does not manage to marshal its blade in time. You fumble forward, your assault missing completely, his own armor doing more than enough to deflect the blow.

Roguenewb
2012-03-27, 07:34 PM
Kassad

Kassad moves over the sand towards the area he hears the speech from. Kassad begins to arrange his mind in the arcane form for his favorite spell in combat, Lesser Orb of Acid. He holds his left hand low and on the very edge of casting the spell rises over the last edge of sand.

Move silently [roll0] Ready an action to cast Lesser Orb of Acid at the nearest foe with a weapon drawn.

Hbgplayer
2012-03-27, 08:31 PM
"Fly, Whitefeather, fly! Get yourself out of harm's way!" Armaril orders as he reaches to his belt and pulls out a wand from its holster. "Get ready to be hit, folks," he mutters, holding his wand of Magic Missile 1. He studies the four new-comers intently, seeing what they're wearing (what kind of armor), and to make sure that they are acting menecingly.
Whitefeather takes off imeadiately, flying to 100 feet in the direction of the ocean to avoid as much danger as possible.

3SecondCultist
2012-03-27, 10:04 PM
Armaril: From your vantage point, you can see the four warriors making their way directly towards you. As they approach, you can see them more distinctively. All male humanoids, they stand at six to six and a half feet tall. They have hairy skin, feral eyes, and flat noses and chins. They seem to be wearing mostly light armor, leather and chain, rather than plate. Their demeanor seems rather curious. However, their weapons are all drawn and loaded, and upon seeing you, their expressions harden significantly. One of them steps forward, brandishing an exotic-looking longsword and yelling in some guttural tongue that none of you seem to understand. From their position, they cannot see Kassad sneaking up to flank them from behind a small sand dune to your far left.

Kassad, I believe you get a surprise round, assuming the wizard does nothing to blow your cover.
Old-Steel: From behind you, the miners rush forward to try and engage the creature. However, it manages to get a good solid sword swing this time, cleaving one of the workers in two and injuring another. Blood spurts from the two halves of what used to be a man, coating the walls of the tunnel with crimson. The creature laughs, the deep rumbling of prehistoric rocks emerging from its open maw. However, its sadistic glee is cut short as one of the miners also manages to land a hit on it, knocking it on the head. Moving back farther this time, it retreats towards what looks to be the exit to a larger cavern, nearly twenty feet away. Considering its wounds, and the fact that it is wearing full plate, this seems an impressive feat of strength.

It does provoke an attack of opportunity from you, for moving out of your threatened area. So you can make your rolls in the OOC, or spoilered here.

Hbgplayer
2012-03-27, 11:27 PM
"We were aboard a ship that sank in the storm that just passed. We mean no harm, but we shall defend ourselves if provoked!" Armaril responds, hoping that they could avoid conflict and relaxing very slightly.

Duskranger
2012-03-28, 12:45 AM
Aaron

Aaron stands up and draws his bow with all the strength he has.

We would prefer it if we could all go our own way.

Ready an action to fire my arrow at the first opponent that makes a threatening move, or my next round, whichever comes first (range of my bow is 110 feet).

If one of these is applicable:
Knowledge Arcana: [roll0]
Knowledge Religion: [roll1]

Hbgplayer
2012-03-28, 01:09 AM
Armaril risks a quick glance towards the voice, and his eyes widen when he sees Aaron ready to fire his bow, and he quickly turns back to look that the four new-comers. "Or, we could attack first and ask questions later against an opponent we have no information on, potentially days from any kind of help!" He says angrily to himself in Elven.

3SecondCultist
2012-03-28, 07:13 AM
Old-Steel: Your counterattack scratches the creature's plate, just as it moves backwards. However, it does not seem to do any good, drawing no blood as it makes its way to the cavern entrance. It stops, drawing breath slowly, before letting out a fearsome howl that permeates the stale air before chilling you to the bone. Of the two remaining miners at your side, one of them is already staggering under the force of his wound. As he hears the howl, he is visibly weighted down, as if under some kind of supernatural pressure. Kade, however, remains fresh and ready for combat.

I believe that you must now roll a Will save, of DC 15, or become fatigued.
Aaron, Armaril: As the creatures see Aaron ready his bow, they tense up, brandishing their weapons threateningly. Those with swords get in front of the bowmen behind, so they have a chance to draw and aim unimpeded by Aaron's projectile. As they do so, you can see a sort of military precision and lack of visible shock that comes with long hours of experienced drilling. These creatures, whatever they are, have been trained to fight.

Aaron, I guess you can take your shot first. Kassad can still get his surprise round, as well. Everyone roll initiative here, though. If Rogue does not respond for a while, then we will proceed. Holice, your character will be there within another round, so your character and the survivors should be included in the initiative count.

Roguenewb
2012-03-28, 07:57 AM
Kassad

Seeing the tensing and the inevitable signs of coming battle, Kassad leaps into action. He activates his Arcanist's gloves, and chants the mystical syllables of his spell and throws it at the bowman nearest him.

Initiative Touch attack with Orb [roll1] If it hits, damage [roll2] If the bowman is still unaware of me, he also takes an additional [roll]1d6 sneak attack damage

Trodon
2012-03-28, 09:33 AM
Old-Steel charges the beast, and slices at it's head.

Charging, Provoking an AoO. Attack: [roll0]

Duskranger
2012-03-28, 09:37 AM
Aaron

Seeing that through his doings the others are now in danger he almost slaps himself, after that he takes aim and loses one arrow at the creatures in front of the archers, knowing that those would be the most dangerous ones.

[roll0] for [roll1]

If Threat:
[roll2] for [roll3] extra damage

Initiative:
[roll4]

Readied action, seeing as going into that stance will be seen as hostile

After that he moves 30' forward towards Armaril and shoots another arrow at the one he tried to shoot before this turn.

[roll5] for [roll6]
If Threat:
[roll7] for [roll8] extra damage

I'm sorry Elf, but apparantly this could not be evaded.

3SecondCultist
2012-03-28, 10:25 AM
Aaron, Armaril, Kassad: As Kassad's acid attack manages to scorch the skin of one of the bowmen, Aaron's arrow catches one of the swordsmen in between the eyes. It crumples, dark blood mixing with the warmth of the sand. A second arrow once its down finishes it for good. There are only two of the humanoids are left now, preparing for their next attack.

Old-Steel: As you move, the monster thrusts its blade at you, in order to try and interrupt your charge. However, its wounds seem to be catching up to it, as it flails around aimlessly, missing you completely and needlessly tiring itself out. For the third time, your attack does not manage to pierce the beast's full plate, leaving yet another shallow scratch on the metal. Face to face, the two of you seem to be on an equal footing.

Alright, now it is time for a real AoO.
Here is the attack roll: [roll0]
And the damage, if it hits: [roll1]
Edit: and the first natural one of the game!
Beredin: You and the survivors manage to make it to to Armaril's position. At the sight of the attackers, the woman cries out in joy, drawing a dagger. The dwarf stands back, seemingly waiting for something to happen. The wizard stands ready to face the humanoids, wand in hand. However, between the respective interventions of Aaron and Kassad, they seem to be well on their way towards early graves.

Hbgplayer
2012-03-28, 10:39 AM
Armaril is surprised by the military-like precision of their foes, and almost as surprised by the rapidness and effectiveness of his fellow survivors attacks. Thinking quickly, Armaril decides to take out the largest threat to himself, the remaining archer.
He points his wand at his target and shoots a small missle of force at it, doing [roll0] damage.

49 Charges left in Wand (magic missile 1)
Of course that's what I pulled out origanally!

Roguenewb
2012-03-28, 11:14 AM
Kassad charges the Bowman he threw acid at, while drawing the dagger from his right wrist, and stabs yye knife in his right hand wildly at the humanoid.

attack[roll0] damagae [roll1]

Holice
2012-03-28, 01:17 PM
Beredin

Finally making it back to Armaril, Beredin stops to take a deep breath and regain his composure. Between the shipwreck, the swim to shore and now the running in the sand, the weight of his armor has really taken a toll on him.

Looking out at the remaining incoming monsters, Beredin thanks the gods that he has a bit of time before they are on top of him.

Duskranger
2012-03-29, 01:30 AM
Aaron

OOC:

Since talking is a free action

After seeing the archer and the swordsman go down Aaron looks a bit sad.

Last chance to surrender and go your own way. We will help your fallen mates, as far as they can be helped and send you on the way. No hard feelings. I apologize if my actions triggered these events. I do not want to shed more blood, I am tired. So please tell me, what's your choice?

Than he sinks into thought.

Making friends allready, one of them probably can't be saved, the other still has a chance, hopefully they go for it. On the other hand, they went down very easily, maybe they don't deserve to live.

3SecondCultist
2012-03-29, 07:16 AM
Aaron, Armaril, Beredin: From where the three of you stand, it looks as though the humanoids will not be bothering you for much longer. Armaril's force missile crashes right into the second archer, knocking him right backwards and causing considerable blunt force trauma. Meanwhile, Kassad has forsaken his hiding place, moving in to flank the goblins, but his dagger swings are wild, and he misses several to times. However, the last swordsman seems to be very much alive and unharmed. Knowing a hopeless situation and the value of a tactical retreat, he starts to run in the opposite direction, westward towards the sand dunes. Unless he is shot at range, it looks as though he might escape over the lip of sand.

Old-Steel: The beast, still in pain, is beginning to fade. It is bleeding profusely, its breathing heavy. A sheen of sweat runs down its dark hide, and its eyes fix on yours, a bitter maelstrom of mettle and ferocity mirrored within them. Kade move it to attack again, dagger in hand, but to no avail. The monster does not even have to move - the blade simply smashes against its formidable armor, denting the weapon considerably while leaving the plate largely unharmed. All of a sudden, the eyes of the beast widen in pain as an arrow sprouts from its back.
"Die for Arrakesh, you monster!" Behind the monster, you can see a large cavern. Several tunnels branch off in different directions. The cavern itself seems to be natural, complete with an obsidian obelisk akin to the material from the chamber. However, there seem to be more miners in the area, another three that seem to have survived the initial entry of the beast. Two of them carry bows, and another is approaching it from behind with a spear.

Holice
2012-03-29, 07:32 AM
Beredin

Knowing full well that he is in no condition to chase down the retreating warrior, Beredin turns his attention to his motley crew of shipwreck survivors and asks, "Is everyone ok? Is anyone hurt?"

We need to get moving in case that creature brings back more of his kind. I really hope that no one here has a drive for vengeance and hopes to track him down.

Duskranger
2012-03-29, 10:47 AM
Aaron

That's not what I call surrender. Aaron says and he moves 30' towards the running guy, nocks an arrow, aims and shoots.

[roll0] for [roll1]

If threat:
[roll2] for [roll3] extra

Hbgplayer
2012-03-29, 12:41 PM
Armaril, worried that the now-running humanoid will bring back reinforcements, fires off another missile from his wand at him, doing [roll0] damage. He then turns to the remaining people, he says: "If you stay put, we'll fix you up as best we can, but don't try anything, or you'll face the same fate as your friend."

3SecondCultist
2012-03-29, 12:54 PM
Aaron, Armaril, Beredin: Armaril's second missile soars through the air before hitting the humanoid in the back. It stumbles, obviously wounded by the impact, but manages to stay on its feet. The survivors seem to have caught their breaths. The dusky-skinned woman in particular seems to have come back into her own.
"I'm fine for now. The name is Lyra Sharr, but my friends just call me Lyra Small-Shadow." She looks around again, taking in your arid surroundings, the corpses of the creatures in the sand, and the remaining humanoid running away.
"Hmm. Those look like hobgoblins-" She is cut off by a sharp laugh from the dwarf. He seems to stagger once, his eyes rolling back into his head, before fainting.

Roguenewb
2012-03-29, 01:20 PM
Kassad

Kassad stares after the retreating hobgoblin. He is far to tired to take off on a wild goose chase across the wilderness. He sees the dwarf go down, and rushes over to try to offer what little aid he can.

"Hello? Can you hear me? Are you okay?" Kassad says, looking frantically back and forth to the other people around.

If someone else does a heal check, Kassad aids [roll0] If no one else tries, that's his own heal check.

Holice
2012-03-29, 02:13 PM
Beredin

"From what I could see, that arrow hit him square in the back. Even if he doesn't die, let's hope it was enough to slow him down until we get out of here."

"What was it the Raven said, a town to the south? Perhaps that's the way we should head?"

While waiting for an answer, Beredin, makes sure all his gear is secure, his armor is intact and comfortable and sheathes his sword. Picking up his spear, he leans on it slightly and looks towards the group.

"Throw some water on that dwarf as well, we need to get him up and moving, unless one of you feels like carrying the fella", he says with a chuckle.

Duskranger
2012-03-29, 02:14 PM
Aaron

I think the choice has been made for us. We need to leave now. But first we will see if these hobgoblins had anything of value with them, especially waterskins or other fluids.

Aaron moves towards the three bodies and starts searching them. While he pretends to chekc for vitals, if he feels that someones heart is still pumping he uses his charnel touch to coup du grace them. Doing this will be done as invisible as possible.

Holice
2012-03-29, 02:20 PM
Beredin

Casually turning to watch Aaron, Beredin suddenly yells out, "No!!"

Too late to act, but none the less infuriated with Aaron, Beredin walks over to Aaron. "That was not necessary, he was of no harm to anyone, and while he may or may not have been a savage beast, you could have at least afforded him a painless death."

Staring at Aaron and in a whisper only he can hear, "If you and I are going to be traveling partners I think it best for you to curb your reckless nature, unless there is no other choice."

Duskranger
2012-03-30, 12:26 AM
Aaron

What do you mean with reckless, I am checking for vitals, sadly all these creatures are gone from this world. Besides that, since they are dead I find it more usefull to check what they have with them, because maybe we can use it. We have no rations, nor water, which means in the desert to be certain death. If necessary we maybe even need to drink their blood. No, I won't enjoy this, but I will survive by any means necessary youngling. If you are complaining about my attack, I warned them not to be hostile, they went into formation, ready to attack, that was hostility.

Searchroll if needed to find stuff on the bodies.

If needed: searchcheck: [roll0]

Things Aaron is interested in: Rations, arrows, waterskins.

This is mostly to survive.

Hbgplayer
2012-03-30, 12:43 AM
"I wouldn't say that we don't have any rations, I have- or, well, I had five days worth of trail rations, before I decided to go for a swim, anyway," Armaril responds, still watching the retreating figure, before snapping out of it and opening his bags to take inventory on what he still has. Mentally, he recalls Whitefeather to give him some instructions.
When the bird lands in the sand infront of the elf, Armaril says "Could you keep an eye on that guy and make sure that he doesn't begin to comeback with any reinforcements? And keep out of danger's way, please."
"Absolutely," Whitefeather says in response of the scouting mission, but in response to the keep out of danger request, "Naw, I think I'm going to dive right in the thick of things and fight it out like a muscle head! Duh!"
"Ha! Keep safe."

Duskranger
2012-03-31, 12:44 AM
Aaron

Well guys I found some rations and some weapons if anyone thinks he can use these, go ahead. I take two of the ration and three arrows to replenish my quiver. The rest is for you. Those without ranged capabilities I do suggest taking the bow. Now let's move shall we. They were dead when I looked so we can't do anythin for them anymore. How is our fainted guy?

Aaron looks like he is taking command of the situation, trying to get the others to get away from here as soon as possible.

3SecondCultist
2012-03-31, 09:00 AM
Old-Steel: The monster, staggering to one side, seems even in its last moments to be desperately trying to keep fighting. However, its body gives in and it slumps to the floor, clearly dead.
"Remarkable," says Kade beside you. Over the course of the battle, she did not accrue even a scratch. Her face is still frozen in the ecstatic fire of open combat, her eyes wide and her breathing shallow. She does not even look at her dead comrades in arms, although you can hear them approaching from across the cavern.
"It never gave in - it fought right up to its death. What kind of being is this?"

Armaril: As Whitefeather tracks down the remaining scout, you can feel a raw joy through your empathic link, that turns rapidly into a general apprehension. The link fades for a moment, as the raven flies out of the one mile range. However, it soon returns, followed swiftly by the bird itself. As it lands on your shoulder, it describes the situation to you. The last hobgoblin scout seems to have made it back into the encampment from whence he came. With the storm subsiding, the raven got a much better look at the proceedings below. The encampment is being roused for a battle. Nearly a score of hobgoblin troops are based there: including those four scouts, it would have made an even twenty. There is also a commander, whose equipment is of much better quality and seems to be more intelligent than the others. Whitefeather also saw other things: a small wooden container, unmarked and left out in the sun, and a column of dust from the south-west, heralding more beings.

Trodon
2012-03-31, 10:38 AM
Old-steel stares at the beast with his unblinking eyes, after a moment he replies. "Marruspawn." He explains to himself as much as Kade. Old-Steel then searches the corpse for anything useful.

Duskranger
2012-04-01, 01:59 AM
Aaron

Good news or bad news from your bird? As in where will we go? Aaron asks Armaril while putting on his backpack, taking three arrows from the dead goblins and grabbing two packages of rations.

Roguenewb
2012-04-01, 02:47 PM
Kassad

Kassad steps up from the dwarf, having been unable to awaken him with his limited healing abilities. He turns to Armaril and Beredin "Could any of you help this poor dwarf? If not, I'll try to carry him with us...but don't hope for much." Kassad says to the gathered party.

Kassad starts to lift the unconscious dwarf. Hit takes every bit of his might to get the man across his shoulders and starts towards Armaril and Beredin.

Hbgplayer
2012-04-01, 11:31 PM
Armaril gulps with the information that Whitefeather gave him. We need to leave, right now! There are 17 more of those creatures en route; it seems to have been a scouting party we just took care of. Come on, lets Go!" He says while huriedly throwing everything salvageable back into his bag.

3SecondCultist
2012-04-02, 06:51 AM
Old-Steel: The other miners stare at you again, unsurprisingly. After a long, awkward silence, the two begin to talk clandestinely. However, you manage to pick up their conversation quite clearly in the echoing cavern.
"Marruspawn? I had heard stories, but I never thought-"
Why are they appearing now?" Their movements and gestures are erratic, their faces animated with fear. All the while, Kade seems deep in thought. She begins to pace back and forth for a moment, looking away, or at the dusty ground. Finally, she turns to you.
"Look. I know you can understand some of what we say, and you have proven yourself both competent and somewhat [trustworthy]. We need a runner to get to Haifolex, to give a report of the situation immediately. This facility needs to be evacuated and secured. I don't know what is going on, but we cannot fight monsters like this on our own. Find Lord Djoser. Tell him to send a [squadron] of Sun Swords. Please, we need your help." Her eyes seem to plead with you, although her back is straight and her head high.

Aaron, Armaril, Beredin, Kassad: Whitefeather caws once, from Armaril's shoulder. The bird seems a little miffed that it has been interrupted. Once it is satisfied that all four of you are listening, it continues in the Common tongue.
"They will take some time to fully mobilize. Moreover, I saw what looks to be an approaching caravan in the distance. I don't know if the creatures will have a hostile reaction, but I would be willing to bet that they would be in some sort of danger. You can use them as a distraction, and run to the town, or try to save them by taking the offensive." The sun is hot upon you, awaiting your decision.

Trodon
2012-04-02, 07:32 AM
"I will, though I do now know how to get there, or how to find this Lord Djoser."

Roguenewb
2012-04-02, 11:19 AM
Kassad

"We can't let these hobgoblins attack an unsuspecting caravan! We should help them, or at least warn them of the danger! Maybe they'll have something to help the dwarf or ourselves... Kassad says enthusiastically as the bird finishes. He checks his pack's straps, and adjusts his grip on the unconcious dwarf. "We need to act as soon as possible, before we run out of time!"

Duskranger
2012-04-02, 11:57 AM
Aaron

Why should we help them. It's not like it could gain anything for us. It could not let me reach my goal at least. I am here to find a certain healer, not kill guys or save people. I prefer not to even. Especially since it could kill some of you, or even me. Aaron grabs his stuff and throws it over his shoulders.

So give me one reason why we should help them?

Holice
2012-04-02, 12:17 PM
Beredin

"I agree with Kassad. If it were us in that Caravan, I'd want notice or aid, so why should they deserve any less when we have the opportunity to afford them that chance?"

Looking towards Aaron, "I can understand if your feelings make you want to look the other way, but I was given another chance," remembering how he somehow was spared from death at sea, "and I intend to fully use my time to do good, even if it means sacrificing my life."

With that said, he gathers his supplies and looks towards Armaril, "Could your bird give me a good heading?"

Duskranger
2012-04-02, 12:31 PM
Aaron

In short you are not thinking clear and giving up your life makes no sense. It's better to go to the town and send in the guards, that's where they are for. I won't lay down my life for others when I have fought so hard to protect it. Besides you all will die, 17 is too great a number. And who says the bird caught them all. But go ahead if you wish. I will take the survivors to the city, do you have anything against this? Aaron asks.

Roguenewb
2012-04-02, 12:33 PM
Kassad

Kassad nods along with what Beredin says. "Come with us Aaron...even if you can't do it for them, I'm sure they'll be thankful, and I'm definitely sure anyone we have to kill will have loot. But if you insist on not coming...Can you at least insure that the sailors reach the town?" Kassad says. He speaks earnestly, and with just a hint of a twinkle in his eye and voice at the chance for adventure. Despite his eagerness, fatigue is a definite part of his concerns.

Hbgplayer
2012-04-02, 01:01 PM
Armaril appears to be torn with the decision that he is being forced to make. "I would much prefer to help the caravan as much as possible, but I do not think, given the circumstances, that any of us are in any type of condition to fight such a large group of trained fighters, Armaril reasons, looking at the sand below his feet, as if in shame of what he is saying. "If we hurry to the town, which is to the south west of our position, we may be able to rally a group to go out and help that caravan. It shames me to be unable to help the caravan directly, but I do not feel that we are in any condition to survive such an encounter, and we are of no use to anyone dead.
"That being said, however, if you two insist on attacking that group of hobgoblins, I will accompany you and provide as much back-up as I can. But please, be reasonable and think through what you are proposing!" Armaril argues.

Duskranger
2012-04-02, 01:02 PM
Aaron

Aaron moves towards the dwarf.

I will bring these into the city, but before that I will see if I can heal him.

Aaron moves towards the dwarf and knacks his fists. He seems to be doing a big medical exam.

Bluff to see if they believe him: [roll0]

I think I can solve this, I have done this before with people. If he can move himself, maybe I will come, but please go ahead without me, maybe they need me more. And take one of the bows, it's safer that way.

And they would be to use of me, if I only had learned the way of necromancy before I needed to kill my master. Still I don't think they will go.

Hbgplayer
2012-04-02, 01:12 PM
"AH! I forgot that he had passed out in all the comotion that happened, here, don't bother with that, I'll use one of these," Armaril exclaims as he reaches back into his bag and pulls out one of his potions of Cure Light Wounds. He then strolls over to the passed out dwarf and pulls the stopper, and carefully dribbles the potion down the fellow's throat.

A character can carefully administer a potion to an unconscious creature as a full-round action, trickling the liquid down the creature’s throat. Likewise, it takes a full-round action to apply an oil to an unconscious creature.

Holice
2012-04-02, 02:02 PM
Beredin

"Then its settled. We three will head towards the caravan and see what we can do to help," motioning to Kassad, Armaril and himself.

"Hopefully your journey is swift and you are able to send reinforcements to aid us", he says as he looks towards Aaron.

And may the gods watch over us all.

Looking towards his companions, "I am ready when you are."

Roguenewb
2012-04-02, 02:24 PM
Kassad

Kassad nods solemnly at Beredin, while holding his belt hilt and spellbook pouch nonchalantly. This is so cool....

Duskranger
2012-04-03, 01:24 AM
Aaron

You're a fool elf, I could've healed him easily. You could've used that potion during the battle. But since it has be done. If the dwarf awakes, they can go. I will go with you and try to keep you alive.

Aaron shakes his head.

Okay, Lyrra, you can equip the dwarf with the weapons found, take the rations and take care that you get to the city. Warn the guards there. These idiots have angered me, so I will see if I can keep them alive. So that they will listen to me the next time. Don't follow us or I will kill you.

These idiots, I will go with them and see them die. I can talk my way out of this, and if they survive they will be thankfull for me, especially if I will help them. So it's like a win win situation for me.

3SecondCultist
2012-04-03, 07:13 AM
Aaron, Armaril, Beredin, Kassad: The dwarf, after having been restored by Armaril's potion, gets up blearily while shaking his head.
"Must'a been a bad dream..." He stumbles once, managing to keep his balance. Noticing that he is not alone, he seems genuinely shocked.
"Who're you? Where are we?" The woman, taking an immediate care for the obviously confused dwarf, puts an arm around him and quiets him down. She has stuffed her pack with rations and equipment from the dead hobgoblins, although mostly the former.
"Don't worry, help is close by. These brave souls saved us from drowning and death, the Nine be praised. My uncle, for one, will be happy that we got home safe. So, we should be off. I will carry you if need be." She thanks the four of you once again, and with that, the two other survivors are off, traveling south along the beach. The tide comes in quickly, erasing their footprints in the wet sand.

Old-Steel: Kade barks out a peal of laughter at your response, shaking her head.
"Of course, I'm sorry. I just assumed... I will lead you to the exit myself." With that, she is off. As you follow her through the passages, you can see several other miners. Their clothes are grimy, as to be expected, although you can see a sort of kinship amongst everyone present. Humans, dwarves, painted elves, and several other humanoids of an unknown pedigree are all present, and seem to treat each other with a healthy modicum of respect. The working space itself is quite clean and well organized, for a mine. From the central mining cavern, there are a few branches, and a large exit tunnel. It is there that Kade takes you, gradually climbing upwards through the earth.
"Blood Fallow Mine was our newest project. In the past, we have been [contracted] to mine out several old tombs and such. Of course, it helps when our current patron tells us what we're looking for..." She sighs, obviously upset at the loss of her worker companions, but continues to walk. After some time, you reach what looks to be an exit. The light of an early morning shines into the breach, and you can see the cloudy sky beyond. The tunnel exit overlooks a large river, lined with rich vegetation and swaying palms. However, the rest of your horizon is filled with the gold-grey brilliance of the dunes of Arrakesh.
"If you follow the river outwards, to the Blue Eternity, you will reach Haifolex. It should not take you too long, a couple of hours at most." She nods at you, smiling grimly once, before turning back and entering the tunnel.

Hbgplayer
2012-04-03, 11:21 AM
"Hey, I have three more, so I'm not too worried about it," Armaril responds sharply to Aaron's comment. "Any way, come on. We have a lot of ground to cover to get to that caravan, and if we want to avoid that Hobgoblin camp, we'll have to go even further. And we should probably look for something to drag behind us to cover our tracks," Armaril adds, almost as an after thought, looking around.

Looking for washed up seaweed, drift wood, or anything that can be used to smooth out the sand to cover our tracks: [roll0]
I'm doing the roll, because I would think that Armaril would know if he doesn't see anything, but if you tell me that you're doing it, I'll remove it.

3SecondCultist
2012-04-03, 01:06 PM
Armaril: You can see a great deal of flotsam that has made its way into the shore. Most of the debris is unusable, but some objects stand out. Of note is a large, heavy section of hull that seems sound. Moreover, there seems to be a chest that has washed up a couple of feet away.

Holice
2012-04-03, 02:05 PM
Beredin

Looking around, Beredin wonders how well dragging one of the corpses would be in covering our tracks. With a smirk, he quickly shakes the notion from his head and lets Armaril find something himself.

Looking towards his companions, "I'll take point on this. If we do get ambushed, hopefully this armor will deflect an arrow or two," he says as he spits shines a location, but soon gives up as he realizes everything is scratched and dirty from the sand and sea water.

"Let's see how good a pace we can keep up to, as time is definitely of the essence."

And by the gods, time is sure as heck not our side.

Duskranger
2012-04-04, 01:34 AM
Aaron

Since we apparantly decided to go on this fools errand. Let's make tracks. It does not matter if we leave footprints, I mean the opponents are in front of us and the bird can see if we are followed, or if there is an ambush. The only thing we need to see is if it's possible. And one thing, which I do enforce is never give me healing. Not in healing magic, nor healing potions. I do demand none of your healing resources go towards me.If one of you even tries I will kill you.

Aaron says and starts moving.

Well, any of you coming?

Let's hope they understand it, since this illness befell me I can't survive healing anymore, strange enough. The only thing that heals me is my own touch. It seems like I am becoming more and more undead. Another reason why I need to find that healer.

Trodon
2012-04-04, 11:09 AM
Old-Steel nods once, then starts to follow her directions.

3SecondCultist
2012-04-04, 04:10 PM
Aaron, Armaril, Beredin, Kassad: Waves of heat ripple off of the sand. Above you, the clouds are finally beginning to clear, revealing holes of empty sky beyond. The four of you successfully climb the large coastal dune, giving you a commanding view of the perpetual desert expanse. Southward, in the blue distance, you can see the roofs and spires of what looks to be a town. However, the encampment is directly ahead, in the valley below. You can see armored figures moving swiftly, although they do not seem to have seen any of you yet. As you watch, about six of the figures split off, beginning to move southwards towards what looks to be the aforementioned caravan. They are hardly visible, just insects in the golden curtain of Arrakesh.

Old Steel: Your journey proceeds uneventfully, at least for a while. You descend the bank, inspecting the slow, brackish waters of the river. Khand. The name appears in the back of your mind without thought, without invocation. You set off downstream for some time, minding your own business. On the way, you come across crocodiles on the bank, birds in flight, and the abundance of fleeting vegetation. However, after some time, you look up and see two humanoids garbed in red-gold cloth and ornate armor on the opposing shore. They bear their blades and halberds quite casually. You can also hear the cries of others further downriver. It seems as though the Khand is a popular place.

Roguenewb
2012-04-04, 05:08 PM
Kassad

"There they are! And look, six of those hobgoblins are going after those people!" Kassad blurts out. He starts off down the dune as fast as he can to get to the caravan ahead of the attackers. He trips, skids, and finally falls, rolling down in a sandy tumble to the bottom of the dune.

Kassad stands himself up slowly, sputtering out dust, and brushing himself off. "Are you" Kassad coughs violently spitting sand onto the ground, "coming, or what?" Kassad shouts, with a weak grin.

Hbgplayer
2012-04-05, 10:25 AM
Armaril gives a little snort and shakes his head slightly, before starting down the side of the dune as well.

Duskranger
2012-04-06, 04:09 AM
Aaron

Without hesitation Aaron moves down the dune and immediatly drops down and tries to stay hidden at the bottom.

Okay, first the six towards the caravan or are we going after the encampment. It's your choice, but whatever we do, let's do it before they find out we are here.

Holice
2012-04-06, 08:14 AM
Beredin

Finally making it down the dune, Beredin looks towards the group. With a whisper, whether because he's trying to keep quiet, or simply out of breath you do not know, "You know," he takes a breath, "it's not easy running through these dunes with this armor on."

Regaining some composure, "We need to deal with the six first, and then secure the caravan and inform them of the danger. Then we can worry about the encampment."

"What do you guys think is the chance of us getting ahead of them to set up an ambush?"

3SecondCultist
2012-04-06, 10:28 AM
Aaron, Armaril, Beredin, Kassad: Kassad's shout and your collective tumbling down the dune has alerted the encampment to your presence. The hobgoblins are moving quicker now, mobilizing with haste. The leader barks commands in a guttural tongue. You can see the flash of drawn weapons. However, something else is happening in the distance. As the six hobgoblins approach the wagons of the caravan, you see four different figures erupt from the sand. Garbed in dark swathes of silk, they bear curved blades. Catching the creatures by surprise, the ambushers make quick work of the raiding party. It is over in seconds. According to Whitefeather's report, there are about ten hobgoblins left now - and they are coming for you.

Holice
2012-04-06, 12:44 PM
Beredin

Looking towards the camp as he finishes talking, Beredin notices that their position has been compromised.

"Looks like the encampment decided what we're going to do. Get ready for incoming."

Holding his shield up, and spear at the ready, Beredin looks towards the six hobgoblins heading towards the caravan, and watches as they are slaughtered by some mysterious figures from the sand.

Startled and relieved at the same time, he can only ponder, What were those things, and are we next?

Shaking his head, It doesn't matter either way if I don't get through with this camp first.

"Hope you guys are ready!" he yells.

Duskranger
2012-04-06, 01:16 PM
Aaron

Knowing that the enemy knew he was there he readied an arrow on his bow and waited untill they would come close enough. Hopefully he would not need to use his magical talents, on the other hand, he knew he could try it if it would be necessary.

Now to see what will happen with them, let's see if I can control them or not. And if push comes to shove I think I am more durable than birdguy.

There are moments you wished you probably listened to me. everyone with a bow, we can probably get two volleys before they are here if they drop as easily as before we can kill at least some of them. I hope to fire two arrows before I will make a tactical retreat if possible. I will focus on trying to give you all cover fire. What will be your tasks. Aaron says determined and ready to go.

Aaron readies an action to fire at the first goblinoid to cross the 110'line

Roguenewb
2012-04-07, 12:15 PM
Kassad

Kassad stares at those people who have emerged from the sands to strike down the hobgoblins. Who....

Before he can fall too far behind, Kassad catches himself and springs into action. He casts Protection from Evil on himself (if foes are within 500 feet), and tries to hide in the lee of a dune to buy himself some time, drawing both his daggers.

Hide= [roll0] MS= [roll1]

Hbgplayer
2012-04-07, 02:05 PM
"Well, so much for trying to get avoid major combat! Whitefeather, I want you to stay here until they get within 40 feet, then take off and stay about 100 feet up, ok?" Armaril says as he loads his crossbow, holds onto it, pointing it at the ground with his left hand, and uses his right to hold his wand of magic missile, ready to fire it off at the first hobgoblin to come within his range (130 feet)
"You got it, boss" Whitefeather responds.

Damage from readied Magic Missile: [roll0]

Holice
2012-04-09, 07:40 AM
Beredin

Just a little bit closer, Beredin thinks as he gets his spear ready to launch at the first enemy he sees within range.

Attack at first enemy within range:
[roll0]
Damage if hits:
[roll1]

3SecondCultist
2012-04-09, 07:58 AM
Aaron, Armaril, Beredin, Kassad: The goblins approach quickly, making it into range of your respective weapons with some haste. Armaril's magic missile collides with one specimen, tearing into its armor and stopping it in it's tracks. Barely standing, it readies its blade to charge at the next opportunity. Beredin's javelin toss is good, but at the last moment, the intended target steps to the side. In its turn, the hobgoblin lets loose an arrow, aiming for the paladin. The other eight creatures are not far behind, the leader standing at the rear. Indeed, several others are drawing their bows and releasing. Two of their arrows fall wide, but the third manages to hit the wizard, drawing blood. The space between the two groups has diminished greatly, to easily less than 60 feet.

Volley (1 to Beredin, 2 to Aaron, and 3 to Armaril)

Attack 1: [roll0]
Damage 1: [roll1]

Attack 2: [roll2]
Damage 2: [roll3]

Attack 3: [roll4]
Damage 3: [roll5]

Hbgplayer
2012-04-09, 10:21 AM
"GODS DARN IT! THAT FRAKING HURT!" Armaril groans in pain when the arrow hits him. Real smart, Armaril, forgetting to protect yourself from arrows; real smart indeed! He rages at himself as he drops the wand he's holding, opens his spell component pouch, and casts Protection from Arrows on himself.
He then readies his crossbow and aims at the hobgoblin that he hit before, readying to shoot it if it closes within 40 feet.
Readied Attack:[roll0]

Roguenewb
2012-04-09, 12:09 PM
Kassad stays low, waiting for someone to approach one of his new companions, or even better, run past him unaware.

Roguenewb
2012-04-11, 07:06 PM
Kassad leaps free from cover, stepping up to the hobgoblin that fired at Beredin. "Artenia!" Kassad shouts as he stabs with the dagger gripped white-knuckled his right hand. At the last second he realizes the danger, and shifts his body position to get himself into a better defensive stance for the oncoming arrows...

Kassad moves (up to 30 feet) to the hobbo that shot at Beredin, and attacks defensively with his dagger. [roll0] His AC will be 19, 21 against evil creatures (proc evil)

3SecondCultist
2012-04-11, 10:53 PM
As the hobgoblins make their charge, Aaron's arrow makes its way into one poor humanoid's heart. It is knocked out immediately, its limp body crumpling to the sand below. Moreover, Armaril's arrow knocks out another one, leaving the force with six attackers, including the leader. However, two of them have drawn wicked swords and even as their comrades fall, make their way to Kassad's position and attempt to hit him head on. Both of the blades are turned aside by the aura of the spellthief's magic, their blows unsuccessful. The leader barks out a command, as the remaining four goblins fan out, notching new arrows to their bowstrings and readying to fire on Beredin and Armaril.

Attack 1:[roll0]
Damage 1: [roll1]

Attack 2: [roll2]
Damage 2: [roll3]

Hbgplayer
2012-04-12, 10:41 AM
Armaril looks mildly surprised at the effectivness of his shot, as it has been a long while since he has taken any time at all to practice it, and gives a half-amused chuckle as he tosses his crossbow behind him. He then notices the two Hobgoblins attacking Kassad with those nasty looking swords. Oh no you don't! You're not taking out anybody! He thinks to himself as he casts his prepared magic missile at the two attacking hobgoblins, striking both with a ball of force and doing [roll0] to each. He then crouches down and picks up the wand he dropped moments ago.

Duskranger
2012-04-12, 12:17 PM
Aaron

He moves towards the goblins, taking care that all hobgoblins are in a area around him.
Slowly he weaves in the air with his hands. When he is done, his hands in front of him make the air around him ripple in a 50' area.

He casts Bane. Every enemy that fails a DC14 check gains a -1 on attacks and -1 on saves against fear.

3SecondCultist
2012-04-12, 12:31 PM
The hobgoblins are severely traumatized by Aaron's curse. Milling about, several of them break ranks. However, the leader has managed to resist the effects, as has one of the hardier swordsmen attacking Kassad. The large, armored commander moves forward, lunging with his blade towards the man. His face is twisted in a feral grimace as he attempts in vain to avenge his men. Like his subordinates, he misses the adventurer, his blade flailing wildly through the air.

Attack: [roll0]

Roguenewb
2012-04-12, 06:43 PM
Kassad grins wildly as the protective field of his magic holds his foes at bay. It's really happening...I can do this!.

Kassad channels a tiny thread of magic and attempts to distract the large leader.

Kassad casts distract assailant the leader, and he does so defensively as a swift action, concentration check, [roll0] The leader must make a DC 14 will save.

Holice
2012-04-12, 09:18 PM
Beredin

Not waiting for the creatures to shoot some more arrows at him, Beredin goes on the offensive.

With his fresh spear in hand, Beredin charges the nearest creature.

"If they want a battle, lets give it to them!"

[roll0]
if crit [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

3SecondCultist
2012-04-16, 10:41 AM
Kassad's magic is quite effective - the commander pauses and begins to stagger, seemingly inhibited by the spellthief's incantation. Meanwhile, Beredin's charge has completely incapacitated one of the other archers, knocking him out immediately. There are now three combat-ready hobgoblins left on the battlefield. However, with the lack of support from the leader, they quickly break ranks. They begin to retreat back towards their encampment, the archers leading the way and the swordsman moving behind them.

Rogue, I believe Kassad gets an AoO for the melee combatant leaving his threatened area, but after that, you will have to catch them/hit them at range.

Hbgplayer
2012-04-16, 10:52 AM
"Oh, no you don't, you're not going anywhere!" Armaril exclaims as he sees the group begin to retreat. He quickly aims at one of the archers and fires off another magic missile, doing [roll0] damage.

3SecondCultist
2012-04-16, 10:57 AM
Armaril: The archer, already wounded by your previous magic barrage, collapses under the weight of your arcane assault. It swiftly joins the other corpses, rotting under the glare of the newfound sun. There are two humanoids fleeing now, and the leader (who is paying little heed to current events and seems to be talking to himself in his native tongue).

You really like that spell, don't you?

Duskranger
2012-04-16, 11:21 AM
Aaron

He swiftly nocks another arrow and fires it at one of the fleeing gobbies.\

[roll0] for [roll1] damage

You please take care of the others, I will keep an eye on this area.

Holice
2012-04-16, 02:58 PM
Beredin

Watching the creatures fleeing, Beredin grabs his spears and wipes the blood from them.

Yelling back to his party, "Is everyone ok?"

Looking down at the creature below him, "This one might still be alive, anyone know what this thing is, and what language it speaks?"

Duskranger
2012-04-17, 12:50 AM
Aaron

The last fleeing goblin also gets an arrow from Aaron's bow towards him.

[roll0] for [roll1]

3SecondCultist
2012-04-17, 06:29 AM
The force is in complete disarray now. Between Aaron's volley of arrows, Armaril's magic missiles, and Beredin's charge, the hobgoblins are down to two men. However, the commander seems to have regained some of his footing. He is visibly upset at the loss of his men, but he does not attack any of you, instead dropping his sword. He knows when he is beaten.

Duskranger
2012-04-17, 06:48 AM
Aaron

Armaril, you get the last one, every one that does not surrenders himself will be shot. Than he turns to the hobgoblin leader.

You can save your man, by telling him to surrender. If you wish at least. If not, well, he will die. Besides that, we could use some information. Are you willing to cooperate with us sir Hobgoblin?

Than he looks to his allies.

Well, one of us should probably go to the caravan to ask them how they are, and tell them that we have caught the rest of the bandits. Who volunteers for that task?

Roguenewb
2012-04-17, 07:53 AM
Kassad

Just as the Hobgoblin commander starts to gather himself, Kassad's twin daggers swing for his throat and thigh, hoping to slice open sensitive parts of the foe, before he can defend himself.

Kassad uses the rest of his turn to make his two attacks against a flat-footed foe. [roll0] damage= [roll1] + [roll2]. Second attack [roll3] damage= [roll4] + [roll5]

3SecondCultist
2012-04-17, 08:40 AM
Somehow, Kassad manages to miss the hobgoblin leader, even as he stands perfectly still. He makes no move to counter attack, instead backing off and falling to his knees. He does not seem to understand any of what any of you are saying, instead grumbling to himself in his own rough tongue.

Holice
2012-04-17, 11:49 AM
Beredin

Turning towards Kassad, "Easy now friend, this one has clearly surrendered. While I may not understand him, dropping your weapon is surely never a sign of aggression."

Turning back to look at the leader,
"While these creatures may be evil, perhaps they may be of some use."

Beredin breaks off a bit of his beef jerky and offers it to the leader in a gesture of peace.

"I do not mean to harm you. Can you understand anything I am saying?"

Hbgplayer
2012-04-18, 01:21 AM
"Well, I'll get him; in a way," Armaril says as he holsters his wand hand pulls out the other one, Shocking Grasp.
"Oooooh; I Love Doing This!" Whitefeather exclaims as he gets Armaril's intentions through their mental link.
"Yep, we haven't done this in a while, but go get him!" he says as he casts a spell charged in the wand, designating Whitefeather as the toucher.
Whitefeather immeadiatly takes off to a height of 30 feet, and zooms after the fleeing hobgoblin, ready to deliver the spell stored in him, cackling "You're in for the shock of your life! This is really going to jolt you! Ready to light up?"
Armaril then turns to the hobgoblin and asks, in every language he knows: "Do you understand this?" until he gets a positive response or runs out of languages.

3SecondCultist
2012-04-18, 07:23 AM
The commander takes the offered jerky, and after sniffing for a couple of seconds, eats it tentatively. He chews slowly. He eyes the four of you, seemingly gauging your strength. He averts his eyes quickly, though out of shame or fear, you cannot tell. As Armaril speaks to him, the hobgoblin does not respond, until the elf begins speaking Draconic, at which he perks up.
"I... understand."

Duskranger
2012-04-18, 08:01 AM
Aaron

Good, in that case let your man surrender. Because if he doesn't he will be killed. It's easy like that. Aaron says in Draconic (which he luckily speaks fluently).

Why did you attack us?

3SecondCultist
2012-04-18, 08:44 AM
Aaron: At your accusation, the hobgoblin begins to laugh.
"We...attacked no one. Scout reported an ambush from ocean - armed creatures who threatened. Soldiers need to... defend themselves. You shot first." He looks at you accusingly, but in his eyes, you can see a form of grudging respect.

Duskranger
2012-04-18, 09:15 AM
Aaron

I warned them to drop their weapons. They did not listen. True, I did use my own language, and I am used to people knowing the common tongue. If I would know that Draconic was the language here, I would've used that. But they threatened me, I warned them, they did not listen, I attacked. Same as just a moment ago. You attacked, I will attack back.

3SecondCultist
2012-04-19, 07:46 AM
Armaril: As you watch, Whitefeather dive bombs the remaining hobgoblin, delivering its electrifying payload and shocking it into submission. Its corpse joins the others, strewn across the soft dunes. From beside you, the leader sighs as the last of its compatriots has been defeated. Continuing in his garbled Draconian, he manages to grumble out.
"You... had best kill me, then. I would prefer a clean death."

Holice
2012-04-19, 05:21 PM
Beredin

Looking at Armaril, Beredin grumbles, "Well there's one way to make sure he does not cooperate."

Looking back towards the leader, "I will honor your request of a clean death, or even allow you to leave, peacefully, if you choose, but you must help me first. I want to know what other dangers lie in this land. I want to know what killed your men from the sand. And lastly, how far is it to the city to the south?"

With a stern look, "Answer these questions and you will have your choice of how this ends. Deny me my answers, and we will bind you, and drag you to the city, where I am sure the guards will not be so merciful."

Duskranger
2012-04-21, 02:55 AM
Aaron

Aaron moves towards the hobgoblin and lays a hand on his shoulders.

Why would we give you a clean death. You attacked us, I think you do not deserve death. But if death you want, serve me. Stay alive and repay your debt in servitude.

Than he smiles softly.

@DM:

He uses his charnel touch on his opponent: [roll0] negative damage. I did not roll for an attack, since I did expect him to not flinch away.

3SecondCultist
2012-04-21, 08:16 AM
As Aaron's hand delivers its swift and deadly payload, the hobgoblin leader freezes up. You all watch as his skin grows pale, his pupils dilate, and his breathing shallows. Within a minute, he has collapsed, writhing around on the desert floor. He has managed to remain alive, although barely. Meanwhile, in the distance, you can see some of caravan members quickly approaching: two of the black-swathed figures, along with a third who looks to be wearing desert garb. They will be here in a couple of minutes.

Hbgplayer
2012-04-21, 04:32 PM
Seeing the reaction in the Hobgoblin from Aaron's touch, Armaril's eye's narrow in suspicion and surprise, and he immediately tenses and tightens his grip on the wand in his hand. "What did you just do?" he snarls at Aaron in Draconic.

Duskranger
2012-04-22, 06:46 AM
AAron

Aaron pulls his hand back swiftly and looks at his hand disgustingly.

Not again, I didn't mean it, I'm sorry. Can you still stand. I am sorry. I am cursed by a necromancer. Most of the times I can control it, or at least do something against it, but sometimes it just comes out, pain and suffering, hate and rage fuel these certain things. I am afraid I harbored too much negative feelings when I touched him. I'm so sorry.

Aaron says while looking quite distressed.

Bluff: [roll0]

Holice
2012-04-23, 01:53 PM
With absolute disgust, Beredin looks towards Aaron.

"You are a monster, truly you are." Looking out at the approaching caravan members, "Fortunately for the both of us, we are about to have company," pausing for a moment, "...again."

Looking back at Aaron, "If you do anything to compromise a peaceful meeting, you best hope you can tackle them all on your own, as my assistance will not be provided."

Sticking his spear in the ground, to seem less threatening, Beredin awaits the arrival of the caravan members.

Please let them be peaceful, he prays silently.

3SecondCultist
2012-04-23, 06:48 PM
After an indefinite period of time, the three figures from the caravan finally reach your position. Behind, you can see the hazy outline of their companions, alongside several camels and what looks to be a desert wagon of some sort. The first two figures approach boldly, making next to no sound as they cross the dunes. Everything about them, from their casual grace, to their lean physique, to the sheathed steel at their belts, screams the words trained fighters. Their skin is almost entirely covered up in black silk, leaving only slits from which their amber eyes peer at you. The third figure, however, is a different matter. He is dressed in casual desert wear, complete with a ridiculous pair of jade goggles. His smooth tanned skin and pointed ears mark him out as a painted elf - a native, it would seem. He calls out to you as they approach, in lightly accented Common.
"Greetings, wanderers! My name is Arkas Othil, a trader from Sun's Spring. These are my faithful guards, and beyond that my little conveyance. I'm sorry we could not meet under more fortunate circumstances. Are you alright? The hobbies didn't thrash you too hard, did they?"

Hbgplayer
2012-04-24, 01:17 AM
Armaril raises one eyebrow in disbelief at first as Aaron recites his excuse, but quickly changes to an expression of concern. "Oh, I'm...sorry about your affliction. I've never heard of such a thing before. If you wouldn't mind, though, not touching me?" he says with the slightest of smiles as he lifts his arm to give Whitefeather a larger place to land, before lowering it as the bird side-steps back up to his shoulder.
Armaril notes the caravan approaching, and reaches around and picks up the crossbow he dropped early, clears it of any dust, and set the string back into firing position, but refrains from loading a bolt. He pays closer attention to the approaching group and is surprised to see a fellow elf in the lead.
"Well met, good sir. My name is Armaril Aust, of across the sea. My compatriots and I are some of the only survivors of a shipwreck in the storm that passed recently. We are all relatively unscathed, they were not to-AH!" Armaril gasped as the arrow, still in his shoulder, throbbed, now that the adrenaline has drained. "Maybe I spoke too soon, I almost for got I was hit," he grimaced as he looked at it.

Duskranger
2012-04-24, 02:42 AM
Aaron

If this curse makes me a monster than indeed I am one. This does not change that I'm here to change my curse. In this continent there is said to be a very powerfull healer. Someone who could break the curse on me. I am sorry that this worked out this way and I understood good sir Beredin if you don't want to continue traveling with me. Aaron says before the merchant arrives.

As soon as he has arrived he looks at the merchant and guards sizing them up.
Actually no, the hobgoblins did not inconvenience us much. Though a certain affliction came by and almost took care of the hobgoblin I was negotiating with. I was trying to let the bandit change his lifestyle and become a good member of society when I accidentily let my hate and anger flow in him. But well-met, my name is Aaron the Cursed. And I am here searching for a certain healer. It seems that she's the most powerfull healer there is so maybe she could fix my curse.

@Beredin:

Shouldn't you, since you believe me, be more concerned with my affliction than being disgusted by it? No offense but now did you wrote it as if you don't believe me while you do.

@DM only:

If you need a bluff- check for all the lies Aaron takes 10 for a total of 19. But I don't think they really warrant a bluff, so it's up to you DM.

Holice
2012-04-24, 11:57 AM
Ignoring the new arrivals briefly, Beredin curses that he did not attend to the wounded before he began his bickering.

Heading to Armaril, Beredin looks over the arrow wound and breaks the head, while removing the shaft from him.

Heal check to make sure I did it cleanly and did not do more damage.
[roll0]

Beredin then places his hands over the wound and begins to recite a prayer.

Cast Lay on Hands - +4HP

"Hopefully that will help some until we can find a true healer," he says with a comforting smile.

Looking back at the new arrivals, "I am Beredin, Paladin of Re-Horakhty. I hope we find each other on this day as friends, as this day has already put us through more tragedy than any one should experience in a lifetime."

3SecondCultist
2012-04-24, 08:06 PM
At Beredin's comment, Arkas only laughs.
"Clearly, you've never been to Arrakesh before! There's glory and adventure to be had for sure, but I would be lying if I said that it was a safe land. People die here every day, quite a few of them forgotten. Unfortunately, over the past months the death tolls have only been growing. There is unrest all over the kingdom, and what with these new rumors..." He sighs now, his initial levity long gone. Pausing to take a long breath, the merchant closes his eyes briefly. After a couple of seconds, Arkas snaps one finger. The two guards turn and effortlessly sink into the sand, not even pausing to breathe before they do so.
"Now, I mean you no harm. It isn't in my nature to hurt passers by, unless they attempt to do the same to me. I am heading north, towards the Oasis of Khatib-Ar. You can join me, if you wish. Alternatively, Haifolex is only but a couple of miles to the south. I'll bet that was your initial destination, was it not?"

Hbgplayer
2012-04-29, 09:31 PM
Thank you, that's much better, good as new." Armaril murmurs to Beredin, before listening to the apparent leader of the caravan speak. When he finishes, Armaril bows a little and replies.
"Thank you for the offer. I am certainly not speaking for all of us, just myself and my familiar, but Haifolex was our original destination, and two fellow survivors headed off in that direction, so I think I shall head in that direction. Do you know exactly how far it is from here?"

Duskranger
2012-04-30, 04:12 AM
Aaron

Do you know of a well known healer, sir Arkas. Someone that would even be known on our continent. If not I think we will come with you to the Oasis, if many travelers come there some one will have heard of this healer.

3SecondCultist
2012-05-01, 10:05 AM
In the long silence, the merchant remains cool.
"I know nothing of any healers of reknown. However, you might want to look towards the Springs of Anan, to the south. It is said that any who bathe in the waters are restored - for a price."

Hbgplayer
2012-05-01, 11:26 AM
Armaril takes not of the long silence, as well as the coolness in the elf's voice. "Did we do or say something that displeased you? If so, I'm very sorry, like I said we're new to this continent, so we don't know all the rules of courtesy yet. And, what sort of price would that be?" Armaril adds on, warily.

Duskranger
2012-05-01, 12:14 PM
Aaron

Thanks for the information. I will go there, but I think I first need to prepare myself for a journey into the desert. I am afraid that my fellow travelers could use a good rest. I do believe they think we have promised something to our other survivors and I could use a warm bath and a good meal in an inn. So sorry, I have to decline your invitation. My apologies good sir. You can keep the leader of the bandits though.

Holice
2012-05-01, 05:55 PM
Beredin

Not wanting to leave his new found companions just yet, Beredin informs the merchant that he too will be heading south.

"I thank you for your offer and kindness, and am pleased to know that you are well protected on your travels. I do hope that we can meet again in the near future, as I would truly enjoy joining you on a caravan journey and hearing some more of this land that you know so well."

Looking at his sand filled pack and gear, Beredin knows it would be pointless to try and clean anything out here, so he simply hefts it over his shoulder, and looks to his companions.

"I am ready."

3SecondCultist
2012-05-01, 06:51 PM
Arkas nods slowly, disappointed but unsurprised at your responses.
"Hmm. Well, the road is marked occasionally, by waystones for foreigners such as yourselves. It shouldn't take you very long to walk." He turns to the hobgoblin leader, his eyes narrowing briefly. Drawing a blade, he draws it swiftly across the creature's throat, slaying it with relative ease. It dies quickly, the light leaving its eyes even as the cold bite of the steel leaves its neck. Before any remarks of disapproval can be made, Arkas looks back up at the four of you.
"It was for the best, I assure you. Such a creature would only continue to harass my trading companions. The roads are safer without them - but they aren't bandits. We don't know who they answer to, but the goblinoids have become more organized of late. Be on your guard, travelers, and may the Nine bless you." The painted elf begins to walk away, striding across the dunes towards his caravan.

Holice
2012-05-03, 09:04 PM
Beredin

As the merchant draws his blade, Beredin looks away. He has seen enough death for one day.

Looking south, Beredin begins the journey to the town. Hopefully it is as the merchant said, and clearly marked. Feeling the sand irritating his already salt-water dried out skin, all he can really think of is a nice bath and a room to rest.

And yet, something else is still tugging at his mind, but what is he forgetting? And like a sand viper springing on a rodent it hits him.

He whispers, "Temple of the Nine. Haifolex."

Looking into his pack, he sees the letter still there, and still in one piece. It was a dying man's wish that he delivers this letter, and it shall be his first priority...after some rest of course.

3SecondCultist
2012-05-04, 07:17 AM
In the growing morning light, you make your way across the dunes. Arkas and his caravan soon disappear in the distance. A salt-sea breeze whips across your face, mixed in with the odorless grit of the sands. After some time, you see what looks like structures on the horizon: only three towers at first, but then slowly others come into view. Haifolex. The port town is situated right on a fortified island in the middle of the Khand, the river water flowing around it to the sea. Two bridges, sturdy but simple sandstone constructions, cross the water on either side. From your position, you can see several large public buildings: a barracks, a town hall, and what looks like a temple of sorts. The rest seems to be shops or residential housing. The port is small, with several smaller ships moored to the piers. Haifolex is also not without defense - sandstone fortifications of at least 20 feet high ring the island, and you can see a moderate guard presence. The gates on the opposite end of the closest bridge are open.

Duskranger
2012-05-04, 07:28 AM
Aaron

Well finally. I hope they can serve me a meal without sand. And I would almost kill for a bath. I was not made for deserttravels. So I think I also need to buy some clothes so I can travel to the springs the merchant talked about. What are your plans?

Aaron looks especially towards Armaril and gives Beredin not even a look.

3SecondCultist
2012-05-04, 09:24 PM
Shaz: The late morning light filters through the grime-spattered blinds of the window, forcing out any remaining sleep from your eyes. As you look around, you find yourself in a small room. One of the chairs is turned over, the other looks to be crooked. Moreover, there is a large and very visible crack in the wooden door-frame. From outside, you can hear the noises that accompany the morning market of Lion's Gate, and from beside you a soft yawn. Examining the messy sheets, you find a young merchant's girl fast asleep.

OhMyGodImOnFire
2012-05-05, 12:40 AM
Shaz:

Shaz stifles a yawn, careful not to wake the girl. Well, looks like I had more fun than I thought. What exactly did I do last night, anyway...? Shaz curses himself for drinking so much. A warblade should never dull his senses so... He chuckles to himself. Though I suppose, even inebriated, I was... victorious.

Not sure which of these to roll to see if i can remember, so I'll just roll them all:

Gather Information: [roll0]
Knowledge (Local): [roll1]
Knowledge (History): [roll2]

He quietly slips out of bed, and begins to put on his clothes.

Rolling to make sure I don't wake the young merchant girl:
Move Silently: [roll3]

3SecondCultist
2012-05-05, 02:36 PM
Shaz: As your feet find the floor, you begin to remember the events that transpired the evening before. You remember music, a traveling band that had come to Lion's Gate for court musician auditions. You remember the young girl on your arm, a soft smile. You can also recall one of the local sailors that had arrived from downriver making a pass at her. Almost as an afterthought, your shoulder begins to throb. Oh yes: there had been a fight of sorts. Judging by her presence in your bed, you seem to have won. Mercifully, the sound of your steps on the wooden planking does not wake her.

OhMyGodImOnFire
2012-05-05, 04:44 PM
Shaz

After he finishes putting on his clothes and donning his armor, Shaz slips his sheathed longsword and pouch of gold into his belt. Throwing on his backpack, Shaz quietly slips out of the room. Downstairs, he pays the innkeeper for the rooming, and leaves - the least he could do for the girl that showed him a good time the night before was pay for lodging. Even though I can't remember it, he thought with remorse. Curse that mead!

Outside, Shaz breaths a sigh of relief as the warmth of the sun caresses his skin. Stretching, he begins to head for the outskirts of town. There he could ready his maneuvers uninterrupted, then return to the market later for any extra provisions. The camel can enjoy the shade of the stables a little while longer.

Duskranger
2012-05-06, 02:42 AM
Aaron

Slowly the group makes his way towards the gates of Haifolex. Apparantly in complete silence. Aaron is thinking and mentally preparing himself on ditching at least Beredin, even though he does not really know how. That guy said things some people would be killed for to him.

On the other hand he started to like the elf and the other guy. Maybe they could travel on to the springs and maybe further. Maybe someday they would serve him. Even though that seemed slightly unrealistic at this point. He needed more power and he needed to get rid of this illness. Priorities first, the rest would come later.

Hbgplayer
2012-05-06, 03:48 PM
Armaril frowns as he recalls the reason that he came to this continent. "Well, I don't have any real plans, per-say. I fled the forests of my home-land to escape an unjust bounty placed on my head by a sheriff in vengeance for my father kicking his lousy rear out of the academy." He recites, staring off into the distance as his eyes get misty, but he manages to hold off tears.
On his shoulder, Whitefeather leans into the crook of his neck, mentally sensing Armaril's remaining feelings for his departed friend.

3SecondCultist
2012-05-06, 04:18 PM
Aaron, Armaril, Beredin, Kassad: The soles of your shoes scrape softly against the sandstone of the bridge. As you approach, a team of guards walks out to meet you. Their movements are stiff and their gazes unwavering. Moreover, you count two guards whose hands are resting on their sword pommels. One of them calls out in Common.
"Hello there! State your business in Haifolex."

Shaz: You make your way through the streets with relative ease - only three people attempt to pick your pockets. You pass through the guard checkpoints unmolested as well. Finally, you arrive at the outer fortifications. In the past, the city of Kesh was large enough to envelop Lion’s Gate completely. However, the city has past its prime and crumbling ruins are all that remain. Save the faint calls of merchants on camelback travelling in and out of the harbor, it is quiet. Beneath the vaulted arches the sand is cool, grains swelling around your feet as you step. Here and there, you find an interesting fresco, or a statue of some past Pharaoh that stands as a testament to mortal vanity. To your right, you can just barely see the spires of Kesh. You seem to be getting more familiar here – the statues greet you almost as an old friend now.

OhMyGodImOnFire
2012-05-06, 04:56 PM
Shaz

The sight of the dilapidated outskirts bring bittersweet memories to Shaz's mind. The memories of being in the bustling markets of Kesh, the beauty and serenity of the palace gardens...

The exile.

The memories of that fateful night came back to him. Heavy footsteps. A slammed door. Why? Hands in the night, dragging him out of his bed, unceremoniously dragging and throwing him and his meagre belongings out the gates of Kesh. Why?? His supposed crime read out to him, his exile effective immediately. WHY??

A maelstrom of anger whipped up within him, threatening to rip down the calm facade he had built up for himself. Shaz stops, placing a hand on a nearby wall to steady himself. Taking a few deep breaths, he waits for the storm to run its course, eventually dying down enough that he could lock that particular emotion away. Sighing, he pulls off his backpack and sets it on the ground. He straps his buckler to his arm and pulls out his longsword, feeling its weight in his hand.

Then he began. Years of training had honed his body and mind, and he went through the motions of his drills, altering them slightly to suit his maneuvers. Soon, he was coated in a thin layer of sweat, his breathing only slightly heavier. Shaz finishes his routine, confident that he is battle ready. He sheathes his sword, and slings his backpack over his shoulder. With a quick salute to the spires of Kesh, Shaz turns and walks back toward Lion's Gate - he would need more supplies, and his camel.

Maneuvers prepared for the day: Diamond Mind 1: Moment of Perfect Mind, Diamond Mind 2: Emerald Razor, Iron Heart 2: Disarming Strike

Holice
2012-05-06, 07:28 PM
Beredin

Approaching the guards on the bridge, Beredin greets them.

"A bath and a meal is my business right now."

Seeing the guards hands on their sword pommels, Beredin questions, "Do you greet all travelers on the road this way? Or perhaps you are expecting some unsavory people?"

Looking quickly to his companions, Beredin hopes they will follow his lead and avoid any unnecessary confrontations.

Hbgplayer
2012-05-06, 09:11 PM
Armaril focuses back to the present as the armed guards approach. He snorts with Beredin's response, but replies seriously, "Greetings, my name is Armaril Aust, and we are survivors off a ship that sank in the storm that passed a few hours ago. Our ship was due into port in this fine city, and we are the only survivors from the wreck, with the exception of two that we sent ahead while we dealt with a...problem. Have they come through?"

3SecondCultist
2012-05-06, 11:03 PM
Aaron, Armaril, Beredin, Kassad: Their demeanor darkens at Beredin's line of inquiry, but as soon as Armaril mentions the ship and the survivors, several of the guards exchange meaningful glances. From within the ranks, a leader approaches: she seems to be a human. Her sword is sheathed, but her hand never strays far from the hilt either.
"Yes, they arrived recently. We sent them along to the Temple of the Nine, for healing and lodging. You'll want to look for Lord Djoser. He is the town's magistrate, and what passes as a ruler in this region. Please, hurry. We are getting ready to close the gates." The guards break rank, allowing the four of you to pass unharmed. In complete silence, the majority of the soldiers file off, leaving four guards to accompany you.

Shaz: Your return journey is as uneventful as the one that brought you out to the old fortifications. Soon enough, you approach the inn. In the morning light, you can actually read the sign. The Acolyte's Coin, reads the faded, peeling paint splashed onto the streetside board. You enter to find an atmosphere dramatically different than what existed previously. The inn is far too quiet, any sounds of revelry stifled. The barkeep sits on a stool, resting his face in his hands. Several Sun Swords wander through the space, overturning tables and other furniture. Their every movement here speaks somewhat of a routine. Finally there is a pale, robed man standing in the middle of the action. He watches everything, a slack jawed expression seemingly painted on his face. His hands are trembling.

OhMyGodImOnFire
2012-05-06, 11:34 PM
Shaz

Shaz quickly ducked out, instead heading for the stables to untie his camel. He racked his brain to see if he could remember anything about who the Sun Swords were, and what they were doing in Lion's Gate.

Knowledge (Local):[roll0]
Knowledge (History):[roll1]

Whoever these Sun Swords were, they looked like trouble. And either I'm involved, or it's something I'd rather not get involved in right now. Best to lay low. Shaz loved a good fight, but his warrior instincts told him it was a bad idea to pick one while he was significantly outnumbered.

Duskranger
2012-05-07, 01:45 PM
Aaron

Thank you sir. You have helped us a lot. And will you soldiers travel with us. If yes, I would love to find a good inn, where I can have a nice meal. And off course if you lead me to one, and you are off duty I can buy you also a meal. I would love to know more about this continent and as soldiers you probably have heard many stories. But if your on duty I would understand you dismissing my offer. Anyway I thank you for leading us to the temple. Aaron says diplomatically, while thinking about killing Beredin for his words.

Duskranger
2012-05-07, 01:47 PM
Aaron

Thank you sir. You have helped us a lot. And will you soldiers travel with us. If yes, I would love to find a good inn, where I can have a nice meal. And off course if you lead me to one, and you are off duty I can buy you also a meal. I would love to know more about this continent and as soldiers you probably have heard many stories. But if your on duty I would understand you dismissing my offer. Anyway I thank you for leading us to the temple. Aaron says diplomatically, while thinking about killing Beredin for his words.

3SecondCultist
2012-05-07, 10:52 PM
Shaz: Over the past month and a half, you have learned to fear that uniform - the red and gold scale that heralds a Sun Sword. They act as both the standing army and regional police force of Arrakesh, holding major garrisons throughout the desert and in many of the nation's major towns. Imperial historians have estimated that there are only about five thousand total soldiers at any time, even though the number is likely lower by a healthy margin. You can only imagine what exactly they are doing here. While deep in thought, you see the robed man emerge from the Acolyte's Coin. His tread is heavy, but his eyes are quick. He spots you with relative ease, and walks over to you.
"Hello. I no-noticed you were inside. Please... you have to help me. I am looking for my wife and son."

Aaron, Armaril, Beredin, Kassad: The guards all follow you into the town's main square. Haifolex is remarkably quiet for such a beautiful day. Many shutters are bolted, and those few walking the streets make no eye contact. The guards themselves seem to be apprehensive about letting strangers walk through their home, but they are doing a decent job of masking their feelings with stone faces. They display little reaction to Aaron's chatter, instead slowly splitting up. It seems as though each of you will have an escort.

OhMyGodImOnFire
2012-05-08, 01:03 AM
Shaz

I am not a detective, nor am I a sellsword, Shaz thought with indignation. But he forced himself to contemplate his situation rationally. It had been a month since his exile, and what little of his salary he had saved in his backpack when he was thrown out was beginning to dry up. Guess I have no choice, he thought ruefully. Shaz approached the nervous man, and quietly asks, "What happened to them? Where did you last see them? You must tell me everything I need to know." He makes it clear to the man to keep his voice down, all the while untying his camel, wary of the proximity of the Sun Swords. Normally they were a non-issue, but Shaz knew that they usually stayed out of establishments. For them to not only was there a squad of Sun Swords, they were tearing the place apart looking for something...

Or someone.

Duskranger
2012-05-08, 02:37 AM
Aaron

Well, elf, in that case do you care for some food in your belly. If yes maybe we could find ourselves a good restaurant and eat a bit, after going to the temple. After we have inquired and maybe talked to the other survivors. Aaron asks Armaril.
I promise I won't touch you nor your food.

OOC:

Where's roguenewb by the way?

Holice
2012-05-08, 03:43 PM
Beredin

After following the guards to the town square, Beredin noticed a severe lack of people around. In fact, for a city of this size, things are just far too quiet.

Speaking at the guard leading him, "If you don't mind the inquiry, where are all the people? Shouldn't the square be bustling with activity and trade, especially on a day so fine as this?"

Something just doesn't feel right, he thinks to himself, Best if I speak with this magistrate before attending to any meals or rest.

Hbgplayer
2012-05-09, 10:28 AM
"That sounds smashing Aaron, and thank you. While you are in the temple, maybe I can browse a local magic shop?" Armaril responds to Aaron, and then directs his question to the guard who seems to be escorting him. He hears Beredin's question, and it dawns on him, that he's right. Where are all the people? At this time, the city should be absolutley bustling with peoples going about their business.
"If you don't mind, I have the same question as my aquaintence over there," he says outloud.

3SecondCultist
2012-05-09, 01:54 PM
Aaron, Armaril, Beredin, Kassad: After several minutes, the guards lead you to the doors of the temple. At first glance, it seems a simple building: high, slanted walls with minimal ornamentation. Several statues glower downwards at any passers by. One of them is feminine, a cat faced goddess wielding large stone claws. The second is definitively male by comparison, topped by a proud eagle head. In his talons, he clutches a spear. The double doors open slowly at your approach, the lacquered wood groaning as it scrapes against the ground. Inside are three figures in orange robes: a dwarf, a woman, and a man. After a moment, you recognize the first two as the other survivors of the shipwreck. It seems as though they have been offered clothing. The man is a different story. Standing at nearly six feet tall and decked with bracelets, rings, and a star shaped amulet, he bears the unmistakeable presence of authority. However, there is a softness in his eyes.
"Welcome to Haifolex, travelers. My name is Djoser. Please, come in. We have much to discuss." He motions with a sweep of his hand, beckoning you inwards.

Duskranger
2012-05-09, 01:59 PM
Aaron

If you insist. I would prefer to first get a meal, but if you think it's so important I will join you. The name is Aaron by the way. Than he turns his focus towards the two others.

You have arrived safely at least. We had a little bit of trouble when we came to here, but still not enough to delay us by a lot of time. How is the food here? Since I expected you to have eaten some at least?

3SecondCultist
2012-05-09, 02:10 PM
Shaz: The man pauses, obviously trying to collect his thoughts. "Well... I last saw them less than an hour ago, when I went back to the harbour to oversee some shipping. I'm one of the harbormasters, you see. Layshara, my wife, was taking my son out to see the markets on the other bank. We agreed to meet back here, but when I got back, there was a note here for me. The bartender can tell you more about the messenger." He hands you a piece of wrinkled parchment, shaking his head all the while. On it, in a spidery scrawl, reads simply:
We have them. Await further instructions if you want them to live.

OhMyGodImOnFire
2012-05-09, 09:47 PM
Shaz

That means they are watching... whoever they are. Taking another look at the note, Shaz folds it up and hands it back to the man. Pretending to rummage through his camel's pack saddle, Shaz whispers, "Follow the instruction for now. I will interrogate the bartender. Come back to me once you have received further information." He then turns to the man and says in a normal voice, "What is your name? I am curious to know who it is that thinks it wise to approach a random traveler in a stable with such petty requests."

Deep down, Shaz hoped the man knew to play along.

3SecondCultist
2012-05-10, 08:05 AM
Aaron, Armaril, Beredin, Kassad: The woman - you remember her name is Lyra - has not lost her cheery disposition.
"Hello there! The food here's yummy, and the robes are sooo comfy! They've got us staying in our own guest wing, isn't that great?!" She giggles, an odd phenomenon given your collective situation. By comparison, the dwarf is almost laconic. He clears his throat, but says nothing, his eyes fixed on the ground. Meanwhile, Djoser nods to the guards, and two of them peel off, running back to the gate. Behind you, the doors of the temple begin to close. The high priest leads you into what looks like the main chamber of the temple. It is quite spacious, great columns reaching up to the ceiling. In the heart of the room is a sizable fountain on a raised dais, enameled in gold and what looks like lapis lazuli. Above, there is a glass skylight, allowing for a pool of golden light to form. Here and there, you can see the odd figure in orange robes scurrying from place to place, as well as other figures in simple grey shifts. Djoser sets a leisurely pace, giving you ample time to take in the space before addressing you.
"Come, we will get you settled in. I'm sure you have questions, and I will do my best to address them. But for now, you need rest. As the lady Sharr has already stated, we have set aside several of our guest rooms for your pleasure." He leads you down a side hallway, which ends at another set of double doors.
"The rooms are all through here. Make yourselves comfortable."

Shaz: The man picks up on your little game quickly enough. He assumes the most upright posture he can manage.
"My name is Ishmael Sha'yan, one of the harbormasters here in Lion's Gate. Don't worry, this is just a random survey. We like to know that our services are appreciated." As you hand the note back, he forces a smile.
"Thank you for your contribution. Should you need to contact us further, the Naval Offices can be found near the docks, at the eastern end of the town." He nods slowly, his eyes watering. Lethargically, he turns and begins to walk off, leaving you to investigate on your own.

Holice
2012-05-10, 09:07 AM
Beredin

Relax? How can I relax when things feel so eery? Who openly welcomes unknown travelers so freely?

As he starts to walk to his quarters, he turns to Djoser, "How long until we can sit and discuss the events of today and talk further? I am more than grateful for your generous offer of rest and comfort, but I do have other pressing matters at hand, and I never enjoy risking not having time on my side."

OhMyGodImOnFire
2012-05-10, 05:34 PM
Shaz

Sighing, he patted his camel on its neck, and retied it. Looks like I won't be leaving just yet. After making sure the stable boy had filled the feeding trough, Shaz repositioned the pack so that it was more comfortable on his back, and headed back to the inn. Before entering, he takes a peak inside, to see if the Sun Swords were gone. Running into them in the street was only slightly uncomfortable, but when confronting a squad of them doing something unorthodox... it was best to stay out of their way.

3SecondCultist
2012-05-10, 07:55 PM
Aaron, Armaril, Beredin, Kassad: The priest raises an eyebrow at the paladin's question.
"We will meet in an hour, in the entrance hall. From there, we can go to somewhere more discreet to discuss these matters. You have the rein of the guest quarters and are quite permitted to leave the temple grounds entirely and wander through Haifolex, although I would advise against trying to leave the town at the moment. Rest. There will be ample time to answer all of your questions." Nothing left to say, Djoser turns and moves down the hall, sunset colored robes eddying around him.

Shaz: As you enter, you notice two of the men leaving through what looks to be a side door. Another is sitting across from the bartender, maintaining eye contact and speaking softly. From above you, the loud thudding of boots on wood can be heard, and a soft cry soon joins the cacophony. It only takes them a minute to descend. The girl has managed to wrap some of your bedsheets around her otherwise naked form, preserving some manner of modesty. However, her hair is disheveled and the linen does not leave very much to the imagination. She is uglier than you remember - her teeth are crooked and her eyes just a little too far apart. Two soldiers grasp her roughly by the arms. Their grins extend from ear to ear: after all, it isn't every day that one gets to 'interrogate' someone in her current state of undress.

OhMyGodImOnFire
2012-05-11, 01:45 PM
Shaz

Keeping his head down, he walks to the bar, sitting a few seats down from the bartender and the man speaking to him. He takes his backpack off and rests it against his stool on the floor, then pretends to survey the room as he waits for the bartender to finish his conversation. In reality, he is watching what the Sun Swords are doing with the poor girl. I may have to slap some sense into them, if they try anything funny.

Holice
2012-05-11, 05:41 PM
Beredin

Seeing no other option, Beredin enters his quarters. And begins to remove the sand from his body. When is is sufficiently clean, he kneels by the bedside and begins his prayers. After several minutes of honoring the gods, he lays down on the bed and attempts to clear his mind and relax. After today's events, a little rest will do him well.

I am assuming washing materials and such are readily available. If not, I would also summon either a servant or fetch the water myself.

3SecondCultist
2012-05-12, 08:31 AM
Shaz: As you sit down, the soldier interrogating the bartender stops talking at looks at you pointedly.
"What are you doing? This is a private establishment, undergoing an active investigation. There should be no civilians here." On the other side of the room, you can see the two men forcing the girl outside. On her way out, she recognizes you.
"Shaz! Please, help me. I don't know what they are going to-" She is cut off by the slam of the door behind her.

Aaron, Armaril, Beredin, Kassad: You step into what seems to be a small common room. There is a small, lit fireplace in one corner. There is a large central table and several chairs, as well as what looks to be a workbench. There are three doors leading off from the room. It is there that the sleeping quarters can be found - two to a bunk, and two bunks per room.

Hbgplayer
2012-05-12, 01:34 PM
"Well, this seems comfortable enough," Armaril says as he scans the rooms. He also goes and lookes for the washroom, and cleans himself up.

Sorry for not posting in a while, I've been very busy.

OhMyGodImOnFire
2012-05-12, 03:37 PM
Shaz

"Is that so? I'm sorry, I didn't see any signs. Guess I'll get my ale later." And my information for Ishmael later, he thought, slightly annoyed. Standing from his stool, he hoists his backpack over his shoulder, and leaves the inn. Outside, he spots the girl, still struggling with the two lewd Sun Swords. He waits a little longer, and begins to follow them, far enough to escape notice, close enough to intervene if anything happened.

3SecondCultist
2012-05-12, 03:57 PM
Aaron, Armaril, Beredin, Kassad: Each of the rooms has an adjoining washroom. Within both, there is a small, working bathtub and sink system. As the four of you begin to unwind from your journey, the dwarf moves over to the fireplace, where he has pulled up a chair. He stares into the embers, moving little and saying less. Lyra, on the other hand, sits at the table and sighs.
"I wonder how long we can stay here. I'm really loving this continent so far, aren't you?" Her tone is perky, and contains no trace of sarcasm.

Duskranger
2012-05-12, 04:12 PM
Aaron

Yes, it sure is lovely. But I would love me some food actually. Though a bath would be fun now. Lyra could you please fill one up for me, than I can wash the sand of my body. I thank you in advance for it. Than Aaron turns away and looks at the others.

We'll see each other again very soon.

3SecondCultist
2012-05-13, 09:30 PM
Shaz: You follow the pair of the guards and the girl for about a block after leaving the inn, wherein they turn sharply into an alley. From your position close by, you can clearly his barks of laughter as the girl begins to cry out for help. Evidently, they think they can have their way with her before bringing her to the proper authorities.

Aaron, Armaril, Beredin, Kassad: Lyra shrugs lightly, her eyes still bright.
"Sure thing! One bath, coming right up!" The dwarf turns to Aaron in disgust - obviously, he has drawn up a conclusion as to the man's request.

OhMyGodImOnFire
2012-05-14, 01:32 AM
Shaz

Guess I have no choice then. Shaz checks to make sure all of his equipment is sound, and turns the corner. "Hey, you two," he barks out, setting his backpack off to the side, "not exactly how Sun Swords are supposed to act, is it?" He tightens the strap on his buckler, and unsheathes his longsword. Even in the meagre light that filters into the alleyway, the master craftsmanship of the sword is evident, and it gleams menacingly. He feels his muscles tense, expecting a fight. "Time for a lesson in proper etiquette," he says with a smirk.

Duskranger
2012-05-14, 02:20 AM
Aaron

Rest assured mister Dwarf, I would never take advantage of the girl. As you very well think seeing how you look at me now. I just want he to draw me a bath, so I alone can be in it. But I wanted first to get at least some food in this room. Aaron moves to the exit and looks around.

After that he will ask the first person to please bring some food to the chamber.

Hbgplayer
2012-05-14, 10:56 AM
Armaril exists the washroom too late to hear Lyra's comment, but in time to hear Aaron's request for her to draw him a bath, and he immediately jumps to the same conclusion of the dwarf, judging by his expression. He is settled, to a degree, by Aaron's comments, and goes and sits by the fire as well, and tries to strike up a conversation with the dwarf.
"I believe that I did not catch your name when we met earlier, what is it again? I am Armaril Aust."

3SecondCultist
2012-05-14, 01:46 PM
Aaron, Armaril, Beredin, Kassad: The dwarf stretches once, and settles back into his previous position. He turns to face Armaril as the elf approaches.
"Call me Devan. Not that it matters." Meanwhile, the girl has gone to run Aaron a bath - the sound of running water can be heard throughout the the guest quarter complex.

Shaz: As you turn the corner, your words die in your throat as you are presented with a grisly scene. The two Sun Swords lie on the ground, numerous slash wounds on their necks and on the inside of their legs coating the alley in blood. Their skin seems to have cracked and shriveled around the cuts. The girl has disappeared.

Duskranger
2012-05-14, 01:49 PM
Aaron

After his (hopefully succesfull) foodrun he returns in the room.

Well, Armaril, you know I would never do something like that, it could be dangerous remember. I just tried to get us some food. I have no wish to accidently hurt anyone. I have enough guilt on my mind.

Than he also sits down at the table and waits untill Lyra tells him that the bath is full.

OhMyGodImOnFire
2012-05-15, 12:36 AM
Shaz

He sighed, sheathed his sword, and picked up his pack again. Looks like someone else already taught them their lesson. Frighteningly quickly, too. He approached, gingerly stepping through the blood. Once close enough, he began to examine the wounds, as well as rifle through the Sun Swords' pockets to see if he could find anything valuable. He also thinks about all the stories he'd heard as a child, and rumors he may have picked up throughout his life. Something that could do what it did here, as quickly as it did, couldn't have gone unnoticed.

Knowledge Check - Knowledge (Local): [roll0]

3SecondCultist
2012-05-15, 08:52 AM
Aaron, Armaril, Beredin, Kassad: You can hear Lyra's voice from the other room: apparently, the bath has been run. As Aaron presumably goes and gets ready, Devan turns to look at him. His eyes are hard, and his voice low and gruff.
"If you take sexual advantage of her, you will go to a very special level of hell: a level reserved for child molesters and people who talk at the theater." He then returns to staring at the embers of the fire.

I've ALWAYS wanted to use that line! :smallbiggrin:
Shaz: Picking through the belongings of the soldiers, you find several pieces of gold imperials, around fifteen total. One of them has an intricate, hand-carved ivory statuette in his pocket. You also notice that their swords never left their sheaths. These wounds are very rare, but you have seen their type. Whatever blade killed them, it was enchanted to bear the brunt of the desert's heat, desiccating the skin on impact by draining out all of the moisture. All of a sudden, you hear the sound of leather scraping on sandstone from directly in front of you, and a soft chuckle.
"Hello there." The voice is quiet, feminine - and has no body to accompany it.

OhMyGodImOnFire
2012-05-15, 10:34 AM
Shaz

Instinctively, he put distance between himself and the source of the disembodied voice, one hand pocketing the coins and statuette he found while his other hand unsheathed his sword for the third time that day. Falling into stance, he edged back toward the mouth of the alleyway - if something should happen, he wouldn't want to have to step far to be back in the sunlight, where his adversary might show herself. At least, it sounded like a her.

"Hello yourself," he called back, eyes constantly scanning for any signs of movement, ears strained for sounds approaching him. "Who are you? What do you want?"

3SecondCultist
2012-05-16, 12:35 PM
Shaz: "You can just call me Laithe. As for what I want... well that is an entire matter altogether, isn't it?" As you stumble backwards, you get somewhat of a better reading on the voice - it is emanating from less than twenty feet in front of you, just past the corpses of the soldiers. There is a distinct pause for a moment, before the voice continues.
"I guess you can say I am here as a messenger. Stay out of our way. Investigating is only going to get you and your precious Prince Azzan killed. Now, since saying any more would only betray myself, I think I'll just go." The voice goes quiet, and you hear little else save the hubbub of the markets in the distance.

Duskranger
2012-05-16, 12:49 PM
Aaron

Aaron walks into the bathroom, negating the dwarf.

Lyra thank you for drawing my bath, there´s some food on the table if you like. I hope you won´t take this wrong, but uncle dwarf was kinda asking you to come out of the bathroom and leave me to bath in the water. Aaron says. After that he waits untill Lyra reacted before he undresses or answers to what she says.

Hbgplayer
2012-05-16, 01:31 PM
Armaril looks at the dwarf in mild bemusement, and asks "Is she something special to you, or do you just not like Aaron?"
"And what kind of dwarf goes the the theater?" Whitefeather quips before taking off and flying across the room.

3SecondCultist
2012-05-16, 06:55 PM
Aaron: The bubbly girl giggles again - she seems to like doing that.
"Okay then! Whatever you need, just let me know."
She then proceeds to almost skip out of the bathroom.

Armaril, Beredin: Kassad emerges from one of the other washrooms, after several attempts to clean himself. His face is cleared of most of the sand and grime, and his clothes seem free of any unwanted detritus.
"Hello again! Gods, that took forever." He props himself up at the table, reaching into one of the woven baskets and producing a vibrant tropical fruit. As he eats it, the juice runs over his chin. Devan, meanwhile is hunched over in his chair. He either hasn't heard Armaril, or is merely ignoring him. After a minute of silence (accompanied by the chewing and slurping of your rogue friend), Lyra returns. She is humming something under her breath.

I have decided to make him an NPC until rogue-newb returns, if that ever happens.

OhMyGodImOnFire
2012-05-16, 10:18 PM
Shaz

Well, I won't really know what way you're going until I stumble into you, won't I? He backs, and slings his pack over his shoulder. He relaxes slightly, and calls out, "Anything else you want to threaten me with before you go?" Not that he knew whether or not the voice was gone, but he wanted to make sure.

Duskranger
2012-05-17, 02:35 AM
Aaron

Slowly he undresses himself as soon as Lyra left the room. After that he unbandages himself and looks at the lump of flesh growing out of his side. Than he staps into the bath , a bit of pain shooting through his body from the lump shooting a bit more back into his body, crawling into his flesh. But soon after that he starts to relax and wash the sand out of his hair, the smell of sweat leaves him and in exchange he gets the smell of fresh flowers.

After a quarter of an hour he deems himself clean. He gets out of bath, dries himself and starts bandaging up the lump again.

Holice
2012-05-17, 07:44 PM
Beredin

It would seem that the commotion and talking of the others in this suite is going to prohibit me from any sleep, whispers Beredin to himself.

With that thought, his stomach gives a slight growl, and he realizes he has forgotten to fill it.

Getting out of his bed, he walks over to some fruit and begins to fill up.

3SecondCultist
2012-05-17, 09:54 PM
Aaron, Armaril, Beredin: As soon as Aaron and Beredin have both entered the room, Devan calls for everyone to sit at the table. Whether or not this happens, once he is satisfied that everyone is paying attention he begins to talk.
"So, what do you think happened? Why were there hobgoblins waiting for us?" The dwarf seems genuinely puzzled at the day's long turn of events.

Shaz: After several minutes of waiting, you can hear nothing else that suggests that whoever the voice was, this 'Laithe', had remained. You seem to have been left alone, for now.

Holice
2012-05-20, 08:13 PM
Beredin

Looking the dwarf directly in the eyes, Beredin responds.

"Waiting for us? Is that your take on this days encounter?"

Smiling to himself, "Interesting observation good sir, although I believe we were simply trespassing on their land. Rightfully claimed or not, it was the place they called home. And..." pausing momentarily as he looks at his other companions, "we drew first blood."

Taking a drink from a mug nearby, "Regardless of the truth of the day, we should simply be grateful we were the victors." With that he takes another drink and leans back in a chair.

Hbgplayer
2012-05-23, 01:14 PM
Armaril sighs before answering the Dwarf's question.
"I do not think that they were there, just waiting for us to arrive. I believe that I was actually the one that drew them in, by casting the flare spell. The group that we encountered while you were still with us was, if I am remembering correctly, sent out to investigate the flare. It turns out that it was a good thing that the rest of us investigated the camp, though, because they were going to try to ambush the caravan, but we were able to distract them well enough to allow the caravan to defeat the group sent to attack them.

3SecondCultist
2012-05-23, 03:52 PM
Aaron, Armaril, Beredin: Devan nods slowly at both analyses of the hostile encounter with the hobgoblins.
"Well, this isn't their land. The guards talk of the southern territories being rife with goblin war bands. However, they have no formal homeland that anyone here is aware of." He pauses again, stroking his chin slowly.
"Ambushing the caravan, though... maybe. If you ask me, they were setting up a base of operations. Who knows?" His throat echoes with a deep, rumbling chuckle. Without saying another word, he gets up and proceeds to the sleeping quarters. After several minutes of acute silence, you can all hear his snores.

Holice
2012-05-25, 12:51 PM
Beredin

Hearing the dwarf's loud sleeping noises, only makes him more tired. Wondering just exactly how long it's been since they arrived, he wonders where is that Magistrate.

Hoping to find a guard or servant in the halls, Beredin searches for one to ask if they could request their host return to them so that they may finally talk about today's events and the city.

3SecondCultist
2012-05-25, 01:51 PM
Beredin: After some time, you come across one of the priests. He wears the strange colored robes, like the others. He points you back towards the central chamber, where you first entered the Temple.

Duskranger
2012-05-25, 02:49 PM
Aaron

Aaron steps after a while out of the bath and starts rubbing himself dry. Than he slowly rewinds the bandages around his middle and dresses himself. When he enters the room he sees that the Dwarf and Beredin are missing. He sits down and starts eating some fruit.

Anything exciting happened here?

3SecondCultist
2012-05-27, 10:50 PM
Aaron, Armaril: Lyra is about to launch into a no-doubt sickening ramble when the door opens. Djoser walks into the room, his very presence cutting the woman off before she can begin.
"Thank you for your patience. I realize that you have all been through quite a bit today. However, I would like to ask you all a few questions, if that's alright. I'm sure you can interrogate me as well, if that is your intention." He sits down at the table, across from Devan.
"Let's start with the basics. How did you come across the hostile party?"

Beredin: The minutes pass silently, save for the faint flowing of the water. Other than several guards, who by now are giving you strange looks, there is no one in the hall.

Holice
2012-05-29, 09:05 PM
Beredin

As he approaches the central chamber, Beredin takes the time to see if he notices anything unusual or interesting about this temple, as well as to determine exactly which Deity this is a temple for.

Taking care not to be obtrusive to any others around, he sticks to the side of the hall and the perimeter of the chamber.

Search [roll0]
Spot [roll1]

If i have the time, I will just as well take 20 on those rolls.

3SecondCultist
2012-05-29, 10:02 PM
Beredin: As far as you can tell, this is a temple to all nine of the principal deities of Arrakesh: Re-Horakhty, Anubis, Bast, Hathor, Isis, Nephthys, Osiris, Ptah, and Thoth. You have seen little of the temples in this part of the world, although these deities remain familiar to most, and their cleric base is worldwide. The fountain is a beautiful piece, a serpent visage crushed beneath that of an eagle clutching a spear. Water flows from the gashes in the reptile's hide, pooling in the basin below. Apart from the main entrance (which remains closed) and the hallway to the guest quarters, there is a grand staircase that leads straight down, as well as a hallway opposite the one from which you have emerged.

Mazdak: As you pass beneath the great sandstone archway, the lions above seem to wink knowingly. For a moment, all is shadow. However, the silence soon passes as you enter into Kesh. The hoarse cries of the traders busy at work, the clapping of leather soles on stone, and the constant rush of flowing water: these are but some of the sounds to greet you here. The courtyard is quite large, featuring three prominent fountains and several palm trees. Three separate roads branch off from here, leading further into the capital. Everything here seems remarkably clean and well maintained: the roads are spacious, the public square immaculate. Apparently, reports of the city's beauty were not exaggerated. To the northeast, you can see the great spires of the Lanath Arcanum, and to your west the domed roof of the Grand Arena. Finally, you can barely glimpse the gilded majesty that is the Imperial Palace of Arrakesh, in the heart of the city.
"Please move along. We're closing the gate now." The guard is short, his face dark. His spear is drawn, and several of his companions are forming a line behind him. As he says, the great gates of Kesh are closing for the evening, the great plated doors screeching as they swing inwards.

St. Justicar
2012-05-29, 10:21 PM
Not having the slightest wish to get the guards attention and possibly get them to take a closer look at him, Mazdak nods in acknowledgement and quickly hurry's through the gate.

Recalling the main objective of his mission, and weighing the possibilities of where radicals would probably be the most open, he heads to the Arena, hoping to find an appropriately rowdy tavern to make a base of operations and start his search.

3SecondCultist
2012-05-30, 01:52 PM
Mazdak: You proceed without being accosted by any guards. After walking for several blocks towards the Arena, you come across one of the city's inns. The sign in front of the door reads: Sun's Refuge. It seems a simple establishment: there is a bar and open pavilion. Some stairs lead upwards to a second floor, which seems to be built on a separate platform. As you pass by, a figure inside glances upward. A half-orc, by the looks of the corded muscle and straight back. He wears no expression on his face.

St. Justicar
2012-05-30, 04:39 PM
Without being too obvious about it, Mazdak tries to follow his gaze (Spot Check?)

Assuming it's nothing immediately threatening, he walks into the bar and tries to attract the Barkeeps attention Hey! Do you have any rooms for rent?

OhMyGodImOnFire
2012-05-30, 09:31 PM
Shaz

Sighing, Shaz sheaths his blade, and turns to pick up his backpack. He steps out into the sunlight once again, basking in its warmth while the hustle and bustle of Lion's Gate moved before him. Welp, time to go gather some information from that bartender, he thinks as he heads back toward The Acolyte's Coin. From being son to his father, to apprentice to his master, to servant of his prince, Shaz had been trained to be obedient for as long as he could remember. But also for as long as he could remember, he was fiercely curious. Now that the shackles of authority had been broken by his sudden exile, he was free to do as he pleased.

And he found himself annoyed by this "Laithe", giving him commands he wasn't obligated to follow. Time to be contrarian, he thought with a smirk.

Holice
2012-05-31, 11:51 AM
Beredin

Feeling every inquisitive, Beredin attempts to walk casually to the stairs and looks down to see if anything seems out of the ordinary. Gathering what information he can from his glance, he proceeds to admire the fountain.

Continuing his casual stride, he makes his way towards the opposite hallway, with a look of intent on his face, despite simply being curious as to what lies down that hallway.

3SecondCultist
2012-05-31, 01:04 PM
Mazdak: The half-orc grunts in a vaguely accepting way. He motions you over, before turning back to polish the glasses of past patrons.
"It's ten silver pieces per night, or twelve for two. First drink here is on the house." Other than the barkeep, there are two other people in the common room of the Refuge. One of them, a woman by the looks of her, sits on the other end of the bar. The other, a hooded figure, sits at a table. Neither of them offer anything in terms of greetings.

Shaz: Your progress is unimpeded, and after several minutes you find yourself once again outside the Acolyte's Coin. Apparently, the majority of the Sun Swords are gone. The interrogator that kicked you out is still there though. He paces across the floorboards, his eyes darting from left to right.

Beredin: From where you stand, the stairwell seems to lead into yet another antechamber. There is another pair of double doors, inlaid with what looks to be bronze. As for the hallway, it turns after a while. The priests in the hall are giving you quizzical glances now.They don't seem accustomed to guests wandering around their sacred ground.
"Excuse me sir, but are you lost?"

St. Justicar
2012-05-31, 03:23 PM
Mazdak nods in thanks, paying for a week and taking his drink. Sitting on the bar next to the hooded man. Nodding to him and saying Greetings stranger.I trust it's alright if I sit here?

Diplomacy check, if needed.
[roll0]

OhMyGodImOnFire
2012-05-31, 06:10 PM
Shaz

Shifting the weight of his pack, Shaz slips onto a stool at the bar. "How about that ale I was looking for earlier?" As he asks the bartender, Shaz lowers one of his hands to his waist, fingering the pommel of his blade. If the remaining Sun Sword came looking for trouble, Shaz would be sure to give him more trouble than he could handle.

3SecondCultist
2012-05-31, 06:55 PM
Shaz: The bartender slides over a worn pint of ale. It is bitter on your tongue. Up to this point, the Sun Sword from earlier has remained standing, barely registering your presence. He sighs before sitting beside you.
"Excuse me. You didn't happen to see my companions? They should be back by now."

Mazdak: The hooded figure pauses almost imperceptibly as you approach his table. You get a look beneath the hood - rough, chapped skin and several scars mark the man's face. He eyes you with some suspicion, but makes no move to leave or interfere with your seating choice.
"Yeah. What do you want?"

St. Justicar
2012-05-31, 07:44 PM
Adopting what is hopefully a cheerful and infectious demeanour, Mazdak replies Nothing much, just conversation. I haven't heard of anything new from the city for several years, and now things are apparently interesting enough I've been sent back. It raises questions you understand?

(No idea whether I should make a skill role, going to assume probably not, but a Gather Information just in case
[roll0]

OhMyGodImOnFire
2012-05-31, 08:39 PM
Shaz

"Should they be?" As Shaz waits on his ale, he turns and eyes the Sun Sword. Then a thought occurs to him, and he chuckles to himself. "Well, I suppose you lot aren't exactly known for your.... endurance." But he considers the situation. The fact that he's worried implies those two are the only companions he expects to have in a while, which means, knowing what I know, he's all alone now. He examines the man, then answers, "No, I have no seen your companions. After you so rudely dismissed me from this establishment, I went to the marketplace to purchase myself a flask." He holds up his flask to support the lie. "Though if you could clue me in on why you're interrogating a bartender of an inn of little renown, perhaps I could help you."

Rolling Diplomacy to make the Sun Sword less wary: [roll0]

3SecondCultist
2012-06-02, 08:42 AM
Mazdak: The man slowly turns his head to look at you.
"There isn't much to tell. The Pharaoh is on the verge of passing on the Heritage to the Crown Prince, Azzan III. Many of the priests and scholars are saying that it will be a matter of weeks now, that the old man is ready for his last journey." He slowly removes his hood. A ghost of a smile crosses his face, but his dark eyes reveal nothing to you. He leans in across the table, his movements deliberate.
"I... might be persuaded to tell you more about several other dealings across the city. However, everything has its price. Gold or secrets?"

Shaz: The soldier glances at the bartender, who only shrugs.
"I guess I shouldn't, but under the circumstances... We're investigating a series of disappearances around Lion's Gate. There have been six reported incidents so far. Nearly all of the disappeared persons have been of a young age. This was the most recent - a harbormaster's daughter." He shakes his head.
"Sorry about earlier. I was only following protocol for an active crime scene."

St. Justicar
2012-06-02, 10:45 AM
Mazdak replies with a wan smile That depends on the rate of exchange. But one is rather less likely to get me killed for giving out. Will this be sufficient? He carefully places a small bag filled to the brim with golden coins on the table

[40GP]

OhMyGodImOnFire
2012-06-02, 04:10 PM
Shaz

Thinking of Ishmael, Shaz shrugs. "Judging from what your companions were doing to that young lady earlier, I'd hazard a guess at who's causing all the disappearances..." Impatient, he taps the bar - the ale had originally simply been a ploy to get near the bartender, but now he was actually somewhat parched. He looks at the Sun Sword and says, "I did hear whispers of this latest disappearance from a few passersby, and I must say I am rather intrigued myself. Any leads you'd be willing to throw my way? Seeing as your friends are still AWOL, you could use a hand."

Diplomacy: [roll0]
Gather Information: [roll1]

3SecondCultist
2012-06-05, 08:25 AM
Mazdak: The informant's smile grows at the sight of the bag. He picks it up with a flourish, gauging its weight. He takes a peek inside, and nods.
"This will do." His voice drops to a raspy, conspiratorial whisper.
"Some of my people have been telling me of troop movements in the north. Apparently, someone has been organizing a large scale Sun Sword mobilization. The towns of Sun's Spring, Istan, and Lazzar have been all but emptied of military presence. Some say that these movements are to combat the Resistance, and others say that they are marching south, to quell the hobgoblin threat." The informant's eyes dart around as he speaks, ensuring that no one will overhear them.

Shaz: The bartender sighs, and looks over at you.
"What do you want? Another ale?" He gestures to the empty drink sitting in front of you. During this time, the soldier freezes up, his skin gaining a ruddy complexion that marks the coming of a rage. However, he manages to calm himself.
"That... doesn't surprise me, I suppose. Look, you seem like a decent fellow, but you're a civilian. Officially, I can't tell you anything that would compromise an ongoing investigation." He pauses.
"However, if you were to make your way to Eliazar's Wares, on the north bank of the Khand, you might find it was worth your while. He's a good man: talk to him about anything you might need."

St. Justicar
2012-06-05, 03:24 PM
Mazdak nods as he hears this, taking note of both the opportunity, and the possible threat to the Conclave. Looking back at the informant he says Now, what do you know of this Resistance? There's something extra in it for you if you can provide anything useful, placing another small bag (23 GP and 9 silver) on the table, but out of the mans reach.

Duskranger
2012-06-06, 10:53 AM
Aaron

Well, first of all, what hostile party if I may ask. The only hostile party we met were the hobgoblins, and those are kinda my mistake if I understood the leader right. Did not see many hostile parties besides those hobbies. Aaron says.

OOC:

My apologies for not posting for such a long time, I had some **** going on.

Duskranger
2012-06-06, 10:54 AM
Aaron

Well, first of all, what hostile party if I may ask. The only hostile party we met were the hobgoblins, and those are kinda my mistake if I understood the leader right. Did not see many hostile parties besides those hobbies. Aaron says.

OOC:

My apologies for not posting for such a long time, I had some **** going on.

3SecondCultist
2012-06-08, 07:49 AM
Aaron, Armaril: The high priest glances at you, his dark eyes clouded.
"You engaged with the hobgoblins in combat. Whether or not you instigated the combat, you did the Empire of Arrakesh a service today, by helping get rid of a monstrous force. However, if you could give me a more detailed description of events? How exactly did you approach them? How many would you estimate their number at? Most importantly, how well were they equipped?"

OOC: It's alright, this is a slow game as it is. Just make sure to delete your double post.
Mazdak: The man chuckles softly.
"The Resistance, eh? Well, I don't know all that much. I can tell you that they are too coordinated to be just a bunch of rebels: someone is pulling the strings. I've heard say that they have ways of smuggling weapons and cash out from the supply lines around Kesh. The little stores on the north bank of Lion's Gate would be a good place to start, if you're looking for that sort of thing." He reaches over to snatch the gold from out of your reach. Satisfied, he downs another cup of dark liquor.

Duskranger
2012-06-08, 11:51 AM
Aaron

Well at first I guess about 30, after a short while though 0. Their armor, well, you should ask that to persons that know more about weapons than I do. I guess they were well armed, as in they had weapons, the weapons were of old quality and not usefull for selling. The approach was easy, they came, I warned them, than shot them, than they attacked, than we killed them, not really much more to tell.

St. Justicar
2012-06-08, 04:36 PM
Nodding amiably at the man, Mazdak says Thanks you, you've been quite helpful. I trust the compensation was reasonable? I may have some more use for you in the near future, if you make it possible to find you.

Putting down his untouched drink, he goes to the room he's paid for and sees if there's any way to wash the grime of travelling off him.