PDA

View Full Version : Spell Resistance: Should I be worried?

zoobob9
2012-03-24, 09:10 AM
Long story short:

I'm fighting 5 fighters my friend made against 1 wizard [Necromancer] I made, every character having 75k and at level 20 of just base class (although he let me have "a race with a level adjustment" so I have an ECL of 24 because of the lich template). My strategy is to cripple all of them before they can do a thing against me. My caster level bonus to overcome spell resistance is 22 (20 levels of wizard and 2 from arcane spell thesis).

If you want specifics, they're still being decided, all I know is that as an immediate action I can fire of at least 7 rays, each of which does 27 Dex damage from Shivering Touch. All of my feats are taken up by metamagic and whatnot. No skill tricks or equipment have been chosen yet, so those should help.

Will he be able to boost his Spell Resistance high enough so that I can't overcome it?

What equipment should I use and what skill tricks should I get?

I'm 95% sure of this, but does dexterity damage beyond 0 kill someone? If not, how should I kill them?

prufock
2012-03-24, 09:22 AM
"Monstrous" races allowed? Drow get 11+HD, for instance, but also +2 LA, so SR 29. Not exactly crippling for you, but could pose a problem. I suppose if they have some item of shapechange to turn into a golem or Will o' Wisp.

EDIT: Of course, a simple Assay Spell Resistance should overcome any SR they can get.

Luca
2012-03-24, 09:29 AM
With 75k they may have deathward, or at least one or two might. Be prepared for your shivering touch to deal no damage as well.

If you are particularly worried take arcane mastery so that you can take 10 on caster level checks, helps ensure you beat SR.

prufock
2012-03-24, 09:42 AM
I'm 95% sure of this, but does dexterity damage beyond 0 kill someone? If not, how should I kill them?

An ability score can never drop below 0. A dex of 0, however, makes them helpless and unable to move, so you're free to just stand there and blast them into oblivion.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-03-24, 09:48 AM
An ability score can never drop below 0. A dex of 0, however, makes them helpless and unable to move, so you're free to just stand there and blast them into oblivion.

Or just Coup de Grace them. No messy worrying about saves or resistances or anything like that.

JeminiZero
2012-03-24, 10:37 AM
With 75k they may have deathward, or at least one or two might. Be prepared for your shivering touch to deal no damage as well.

I do believe that Deathward offers no protection against Shivering Touch.

zoobob9
2012-03-24, 11:42 AM
EDIT: Of course, a simple Assay Spell Resistance should overcome any SR they can get.

The specifics of my tactics were vague, but assay spell might not help. The multitude of rays I'm sending out is all from one Twinned Celerity spell, so if they go first they hopefully won't have an opportunity to hit me at all. I've not thought this past the first round to be honest, but if things go well I won't need to worry about that.

If you are particularly worried take arcane mastery so that you can take 10 on caster level checks, helps ensure you beat SR.

If they do have deathward, hopefully not all of them will, I have 2 rays leftover. That was my cushion for if I roll a one on the ranged touch or the CL check, but that may take precedence.

Also, I have no more feats to spend. I almost took spell penetrations, but didn't have room.