PDA

View Full Version : Ysgrammor vs Soon Kim

t209
2012-03-24, 10:03 AM
Which of these heroes will win if they fought eachother?
Ysgrammor and 500 companions (Skyrim)
- Came from the frozen land of Atmora, founder of the Nords and the land of Skyrim, Slayer of the Snow Elves, and the First Harbinger of the Companions.
His remaining comrades act as a guard even in death.
Soon Kim and Sapphire Guards (OOTS)
- Paladin of Twelve Gods from Azure City, founder and first commander of Sapphire Guards,
Only the honor of the paladin is unbreakable even by death (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0449.html) itself.
Both battle, People vs People and
Ghost vs Ghost.
Note: The Companions are kinda near to Fighter and Barbarian class.

The Glyphstone
2012-03-24, 10:14 AM
But what can Ysgrammor do? Was he a Dragonborn/able to use Shouts? Was he a melee warrior? An archer?

We know what Soon Kim could do - he's a paladin. Melee combat, magic to a degree, Lay on Hands, Smite Evil, etc. Was Ysgrammor an 'evil' person, in his actions or attitudes?

Plus, the final battle would probably depend on if Ysgrammor in that form shared Soon's most notable trait in his own respective form. If not, it'd be a quick battle in Soon's favor.

t209
2012-03-24, 10:21 AM
But what can Ysgrammor do? Was he a Dragonborn/able to use Shouts? Was he a melee warrior? An archer?

We know what Soon Kim could do - he's a paladin. Melee combat, magic to a degree, Lay on Hands, Smite Evil, etc. Was Ysgrammor an 'evil' person, in his actions or attitudes?

Plus, the final battle would probably depend on if Ysgrammor in that form shared Soon's most notable trait in his own respective form. If not, it'd be a quick battle in Soon's favor.

Melee Fighter with his mighty axe, Wuuthard which smite all the elves who destroy his city. HE cannot shout.
You can't see him in ghost form but you can see him in Sovngarde (Nord heaven).

Coidzor
2012-03-24, 12:24 PM
I don't believe there's enough information.

t209
2012-03-24, 06:20 PM
I just wanted to do
For Ysgrammor, he's a first leader of settlers in Skyrim. His settlement was destroyed by the elves and left him and his son as survivors (Think Viking version of Azurite Refugees except only one ship left). He went back to Atmora (where Nord came from) and came back with 500 nords and massacre all the snow elves along with his axe Wuuthard (bonus damages against elves). He then split his own party and proceed to colonize Tamriel.
In Companion questline, Ysgrammor body and his comrades were buried north of skyrim. Even in death, his comrades still protects the tomb or challenge any warrior.
P.S- I think Ysgrammor will curb stomp Soon Kim in soup drinking contest WITH A FORK.

pffh
2012-03-24, 06:24 PM
Unfortunately we don't know how powerful Ysgramor or the 500 are. We don't know if anyone of them could use the Thu'um or if anyone of them were spellcasters. All we know that he was defeated and then he came back and won.

t209
2012-03-24, 08:06 PM
Well, at least the companions (The old one) has one advantage.
Smite Evil do not work on them (Due to Elderscroll's greyscale universe).
Paladin: Smite Evil!
(The sword had no effect on Ysgrammor).
(Ysgrammor proceeded to rip the intestine of the paladin).

Coidzor
2012-03-24, 08:22 PM
Yes, but you're comparing My Little Pony to Chtuluhu Mythos, it just don't work to compare them.

Dark Tira
2012-03-25, 02:47 AM
Yes, but you're comparing My Little Pony to Chtuluhu Mythos, it just don't work to compare them.

That's a poor analogy. (http://img.ponibooru.org/_images/bcf184190002aebd0469cf29e21497c5/91527%20-%20cthulhu%20derpy_hooves%20Doctor_Whooves%20My_Li ttle_Pony.png)

Coidzor
2012-03-25, 02:54 AM
That's a poor analogy. (http://img.ponibooru.org/_images/bcf184190002aebd0469cf29e21497c5/91527%20-%20cthulhu%20derpy_hooves%20Doctor_Whooves%20My_Li ttle_Pony.png)

No, you've just illustrated my point. They don't mix right. Their universes' fundamental assumptions just don't jive.

Coidzor
2012-03-25, 03:05 AM
And here I thought it just stood to reason that 'a children's show about ponies' and 'a universe centred around eldritch horrors whose very existence will drive you insane with terror' kinda don't go well together.

All kinds of levels it don't work so good on, yeah.

Dark Tira
2012-03-25, 03:09 AM
No, you've just illustrated my point. They don't mix right. Their universes' fundamental assumptions just don't jive.

Really? Is there a reason Cthulu couldn't exist in the MLP universe? He's not really the type of thing that would particularly influence day-to-day life in Equestria. Seems like he would kinda fit in, considering things like the Ursa Major aren't considered to be one of the particularly dangerous monsters that need to be imprisoned.

Coidzor
2012-03-25, 03:14 AM
Really? Is there a reason Cthulu couldn't exist in the MLP universe? He's not really the type of thing that would particularly influence day-to-day life in Equestria. Seems like he would kinda fit in, considering things like the Ursa Major aren't considered to be one of the particularly dangerous monsters that need to be imprisoned.

The essence of the Cthulhu Mythos is that there is no hope and there's no point to the universe.

The essence of My Little Pony is that Friendship is Magic and that hope and goodness are the order of the day.

So, no, he would not fit in, they're fundamentally opposed things. You could make a squiddly-person like thing taking him as inspiration, sure, but at that point you're making a bowdlerized "Cthulhu."

Like Team Gurren in Warhammer 40K. A group who basically serve to show that the universe really does work on being filled with hope and determination does not mesh well with a universe set up to destroy anything even remotely attempting to be good or have hope with its grimdarkness.

Dark Tira
2012-03-25, 03:24 AM
The essence of the Cthulhu Mythos is that there is no hope and there's no point to the universe.

The essence of My Little Pony is that Friendship is Magic and that hope and goodness are the order of the day.

So, no, he would not fit in, they're fundamentally opposed things. You could make a squiddly-person like thing taking him as inspiration, sure, but at that point you're making a bowdlerized "Cthulhu."

But they work on different but compatible scales. The hope and goodness in My Little Pony is completely local and personal. There's no reason that couldn't be shattered if a pony got exposed to the universe outside of Equestria and still maintain the overall world consistency of both worlds.

Coidzor
2012-03-25, 03:27 AM
But they work on different but compatible scales. The hope and goodness in My Little Pony is completely local and personal. There's no reason that couldn't be shattered if a pony got exposed to the universe outside of Equestria and still maintain the overall world consistency of both worlds.

No, then you're just raping continuity in the other direction. :smallwink:

Dark Tira
2012-03-25, 03:32 AM
No, then you're just raping continuity in the other direction. :smallwink:

Hardly, Equestria is pretty well implied to be naturally fairly grimdark and the only reason it's as happy as it seems to be is that they have a God-Princess that protects it.

Coidzor
2012-03-25, 03:42 AM
Right, because the benevolent god-empress totally jives with the cthulhu mythos...

Suffice to say, on the original topic and in this example, there's not enough information to go on to really say anything meaningful which was the original point before we got onto this pointless distraction of a tangent.

Devonix
2012-03-25, 08:31 AM
Goes back to that whole Batman vs Chthuhlu argument.

Where people were saying that Batman would simply be mindraped in its presence when People in the DCU are capable of handeling such things because of how the themes of the universes are opposed.

t209
2012-03-25, 09:53 AM
So... DUe to lack of information on Ysgrammor and his 500 companions. Shall we change the title?

Coidzor
2012-03-25, 02:04 PM
So... DUe to lack of information on Ysgrammor and his 500 companions. Shall we change the title?

To what? Why not just let it live or die on its own merits if you can't inject something into the argument to counteract the lack of data.