PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new lappy

grimbold
2012-03-24, 01:07 PM
So my parents recently offered to buy me a new lappy as mine is on its last legs...

I have a budget of 700$ approx

Im not really a gamer or a programmer i just need something with a moderate level of processing power that will never ever get a vrius or slow down.... Maybe not never ever but the idea is that i need something very solid and dependable... So yeah... Suggestions.

Thank you in advance!

Grue Bait
2012-03-24, 01:54 PM
Okay, so $700 eliminates most Alienwares and Macs, so two down. I've had a lot of virus problems with gateway and Dell, but that's usually problems with the anti-virus software. Toshiba are pretty good price-wise, plus they're pretty fast and reliable. You have to be more specific, though. What exactly are you looking for in the laptop?

Grinner
2012-03-24, 02:47 PM
So my parents recently offered to buy me a new lappy as mine is on its last legs...

I have a budget of 700$ approx

Okay. That's quite a bit to work with.

Are you looking for something that will function out-of-the-box? Or are you willing to put in a little work?

Im not really a gamer or a programmer i just need something with a moderate level of processing power that will never ever get a vrius or slow down.... Maybe not never ever but the idea is that i need something very solid and dependable... So yeah... Suggestions.

These are common fallacies.

Malware are just programs designed with malicious intent, and you can never fully safeguard a computer against them if it is ever connected to another computer, directly or indirectly.

Slowdown is a byproduct of usage. As you install software and create and move files, the data becomes disordered, so the operating system usually references a master index or invisible markers. The slowdown is the time the computer takes to sort through the jumbled information. It can also be the result of malware clogging up system resources.

Also, Apple products, despite the myth surrounding them, are as vulnerable as any other. Windows XP, however, had a few fundamental design flaws, making it a more attractive target for malware authors. These flaws have been mostly patched, and eliminated in subsequent editions. This does not change poor coding on the software developer's part though, so be careful of what you install.

Edit: Also! Your hardware usually has little to do with the system's security, with the exception of BIOS viruses and hardware firewalls.

Lea Plath
2012-03-24, 03:21 PM
I'm also looking for a laptop in that kinda price range too, but I'm looking for a more gaming one.

If I see anything I'll post.

And is this laptop going to be moved around a lot, or just sit on a desk?

If you can solder, I would suggest getting an Acer Aspire 8930G. Works well for me, good power, runs everything I need, has bluray, etc.

The only downside I've had with it was that it has fault in the internal power cable, where by over time, by openning and closing the laptop, it can become damage and not charge. But this laptop was going to college and back, 5 days a week, and openning and closing a lot, so if it is just desktop use, probably fine.

grimbold
2012-03-24, 04:03 PM
Well lots of good advice thanks guys!

This lappy will probably mostly sit on a desk, but it needs to be reasonably portable for times when i need to take it to record my band

I would greatly prefer if it worked out of box, i now my. Way around a toolbox a litttle, but not all that well

The only really demnding things i would need of this lappy is

The ability to stay on for hours at a time

The ability to run fairly demanding recording software for extended periods of time reliably....

Really all i need is reliablity...

noparlpf
2012-03-24, 09:29 PM
DO NOT buy Asus. They're pretty decent computers, good for gaming and stuff, but support is TERRIBLE. A friend has had two Asus computers, and both had problems. When he sent the first in for repair, they sent it back without fixing the problem, they messed something else up, AND they scratched up the computer. He ended up fixing the problem himself, and didn't bother sending the second one in for repair. When my Asus laptop had an issue (a really simple one, a torn wire from the graphics card to the screen), I sent it in within the warranty period, they sent it back screwed up even worse, and then when I tried to send it back again, now just out of the warranty period, they refused to do it unless I paid.

Edit: Oh yeah an actual suggestion.
Right now I'm using an Acer Aspire. It's pretty decent, though it has some trouble running Minecraft (I need to figure out how to allocate more RAM to that). It's a good medium size, not too big or too small. And it wasn't very expensive. 320 GB hard drive, 2 GHz processor, 4 GB RAM, 15.6" screen, battery life upwards of an hour and a half depending on light settings and whatnot. I like it.

pffh
2012-03-24, 09:53 PM
Another one for an Acer Aspire. I have an aspire 5738G so it's a bit old but still in great shape for a computer that gets moved though all sort of temperatures and conditions daily as I use it in class and the battery still works for 45+ minutes. I'm definitely getting another acer aspire when this one dies.

The only problem I had was that the wiring on the chargers cord got loose after 3 years of being pulled on and used to lift the charger but hey the warranty still covered that for me.

noparlpf
2012-03-24, 10:14 PM
Oh yeah, the model of this Acer Aspire is 5742Z-4685 I think. At least that's what it says next to "Aspire". It's technically my mum's laptop but she has a desktop for writing and her iPad for other stuff, so I kind of appropriated this one for school.

grimbold
2012-03-25, 03:05 AM
That looks reallygood actually! It comes with windows7 right

noparlpf
2012-03-25, 10:34 AM
Mine's Windows 7 Home Premium. I don't think they sell anything earlier than 7 anymore.

grimbold
2012-03-25, 12:22 PM
Mine's Windows 7 Home Premium. I don't think they sell anything earlier than 7 anymore.

that is good information to have thank you! :smallsmile:

Riverdance
2012-03-28, 04:48 PM
If you're willing to go a little above 700 you can presently get a refurbished macbook pro with Lion for somewhere in the 900s. It will last you for ages and is thoroughly capable.

I'm also looking for a laptop in that kinda price range too, but I'm looking for a more gaming one.

It'll be very hard to find a good gaming laptop in that price range.

grimbold
2012-03-31, 09:33 AM
If you're willing to go a little above 700 you can presently get a refurbished macbook pro with Lion for somewhere in the 900s. It will last you for ages and is thoroughly capable.

It'll be very hard to find a good gaming laptop in that price range.

Thatan interesting sugggestion
Ill hafta consider that

inexorabletruth
2012-04-01, 03:13 PM
Whether or not a computer is virus resistant has mostly to do with the user, not the computer.

Stay away from adult sites, and pirating sites. Don't download anything without a certificate, and instal an anti-virus software.

The exception to this rule is a Mac. Macs are generally virus resistant, because most people while viruses for the Windows operating systems. However, $700 won't get you far with a Mac, new or used.

$700 can easily buy you a computer that does what you want it to do. If you just want e-mail, internet and the ability to type up a document or spreadsheet, then you can save your money and pick up any one of those tiny $200 or less laptops... then just spend your money on accessories, like an external monitor (or better yet, an HDTV with computer attachments, most HDs come with them now), keyboard, mouse, and speakers.

Plug in to your external attachments when you're home for extra screen real estate, better sound quality and ease-of-use I/O devices. Your computer now doubles as your home theater system (especially if you buy a remote control for your lappy), gaming center, and internet hub. Unplug it when you're on the go, and the smaller laptops tend to have a longer battery life, and you can still do all the things you want to do with your computer.

Plugging in externals increases the life of your lappy. More often than not, screens go out, keyboards go out, or track pads go out before the hard drive or CPU does in a lappy. By putting less miles on the integrated I/O devices, you can add years to it's life span. And if one of your externals breaks, at least your not losing the computer... just the external. Replace and upgrade as needed.