PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer/Runesmith question

ExtravagantEvil
2012-03-24, 01:37 PM
I'm looking over a possible build for a Sorcerer 4/Fighter 1 Rune Smith 5/Dracolexi 10.
I'm wondering how Sorcerer interacts with the Rune Magic class feature, given that sorcerers don't prepare their spells, is it just the expense of Spell Slots that could be considered "preparing the spells".
please answer, and thank Youn:smallsmile:

nedz
2012-03-24, 03:28 PM
Its a poor fit. Without Arcane Preparation (CArc) the Rune Magic class feature is pointless. Even using this, though there are some benefits, you are turning your spontaneous caster into a vancian caster with a very limited spell book.

Kaje
2012-03-24, 05:51 PM
I interpret it as you preparing generic runes at the beginning of the day and can expend them to cast any spell you know.

nedz
2012-03-24, 06:23 PM
I interpret it as you preparing generic runes at the beginning of the day and can expend them to cast any spell you know.

This is a houserule ?
Or do you have some RAW justification ?

Madara
2012-03-24, 08:22 PM
Well, its optional.

In order to use the Rune ability, w/o sombatic, you need to prepare ahead, but at the bottom of the description, it says:

A runesmith can still prepare and cast his spells in the regular fashion if he so desires, subject to the normal arcane spell failure chances for any worn armor.

nedz
2012-03-24, 08:58 PM
Well yes, in which case you are a Sorceror, who has spent feats on Armour Proficiency (Heavy) and Scribe Scroll.

Madara
2012-03-24, 09:29 PM
Or you dipped into cleric and are Therugishing(Not really sure what it's called)?

Really though, its meant for wizards. You could maybe ask if there could be an alternate version for Archivists.

Edit:

That's a good way of looking at it. Probably my favorite interpretation, because you spent two feats to get in, you shouldn't lose spontaneous casting.

ExtravagantEvil
2012-03-24, 10:30 PM
I was originally planning on going Armored Mage Fighter 1/Stalwart Sorcerer 4/Rune Smith 5/Dracolexi 10

Now I switched to
Duskblade 3 Wizard 2 Ultimate Magus 5 Dracolexi 5 rune Smith s5

nedz
2012-03-25, 05:09 AM
Well the class seems designed around the basic Fighter 1/Wizard 4 entry. Its whole point really is to allow spellcasting in Heavy Armour - provided you are a wizard. Quite why you need that post level 15 I'm not sure ?

Kaje
2012-03-25, 07:08 AM
The fluff talks many times about sorcerers using it to cast in armor, so clearly the intention is for it to work.

Madara
2012-03-25, 09:21 AM
As a Warforged? That would be an opportune time to use this class(Except its only a 5% failure chance.)

I was thinking that this class would go well with spell stitching, simply because of the runes and such.

nedz
2012-03-25, 03:22 PM
The fluff talks many times about sorcerers using it to cast in armor, so clearly the intention is for it to work.
Yes I know, and I once spent ages trying to see how. Arcane Preparation does work as do spells with very long durations (which you cast before wearing the armour) or non-combat spells.
Sorcerors can of course use Still Spell, but then they hardly need the class. There are also other methods of reducing the failure rate for armour.
Like most things this works better with Wizard, they even get one of the Pre-Reqs for free.

As a Warforged? That would be an opportune time to use this class(Except its only a 5% failure chance.)
Unless you have adamantine plating.

Madara
2012-03-25, 08:19 PM
Let me ask then, for Permanent Rune, do you have to know the spell? It just says

Must permanently sacrifice an arcane spell slot of one level higher than the spell to be inscribed as a permanent rune

Its probably intended that you know it, but the wording seems to be bendable :smallbiggrin:

Its really nice now, if that's true. Still not too awesome, 2/day, Burn a slot, the costs, but its much better. Of course if it can be any spell, then you have access to spells from other lists and such.