PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Political Adventure OOC



Pages : [1] 2

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-24, 02:01 PM
Ok, so here is the OOC thread.

Choose a colour. Add yourself to the table.

ONLY POST SOMETHING IF IT IS COMPLETE. Make sure all your gear is done, all skills/feats/magical doo-dah etc.

{table=head]Player|Character sheet|Race/Class|Background
Starbin|Caladeran (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=382854)|Tundra Elf/Duskblade|Envoy
sdream|Selena (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=381385)|Human/Psion|lost girl
Sgt. Cookie|Aquarius (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=382389)|Silver brow human/Red mage|Wanderer
Redzimmer|Ivor the Sly (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=66118)|Human/Barbarian-Sorcerer|Scoundrel[/table]

IC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12955675#post12955675)

Jodah
2012-03-24, 02:46 PM
{table=head]Jodah|Character sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=382016)|Human/Factotum|Rogue/scribe|Needs Approval[/table]

Will speak in green

Starbin
2012-03-24, 06:33 PM
{table=head]Player|Character sheet|Race/Class|Background|Approved
Jodah|Phaedrus (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=382016)|Human/Factotum|Rogue/scribe|Needs Approval
Starbin|Caladeran (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=382854)|Tundra Elf/Duskblade|Envoy|Needs Approval
[/table]

"Speaking"
"Whispering"
Thinking

pixieknot
2012-03-24, 08:14 PM
{table=head]Player|Character sheet|Race/Class|Background|Approved
Jodah|Phaedrus (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=382016)|Human/Factotum|Rogue/scribe|Needs Approval
Starbin|Caladeran (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=382854)|Tundra Elf/Duskblade|Envoy|Needs Approval
pixieknot|Malaina (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=380214)|Halfling/Rogue|"invisible" theif|Needs Approval
[/table]

"Speaking"
"Whispering"
Thinking

thanks all for the encouragement and advise; this whole forum posting thing still has me feeling a bit like a shy six-year old...everything is so new...


@Starbin hope you don't mind me stealing you table and speaking info...This is the first table I've made, and I had no idea, so I quoted you (how do I create the cell separation lines? I had to copy/paste each time I needed one... also, I like the Draco-lich - Celestial Titan collision idea...I'll let al'Lan know if it needs using

sdream
2012-03-24, 09:15 PM
{table=head]Player|Character sheet|Race/Class|Background|Approved
Jodah|Phaedrus (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=382016)|Human/Factotum|Rogue/scribe|Needs Approval
Starbin|Caladeran (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=382854)|Tundra Elf/Duskblade|Envoy|Needs Approval
pixieknot|Malaina (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=380214)|Halfling/Rogue|"invisible" theif|Needs Approval
sdream|Selena (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=381385)|Human/Psion|lost girl|Needs Approval
[/table]

"Speaking"
"Whispering"
Thinking

@Maliana - cell separator symbol seems to be pipe, which is shift+\ on most keyboards (the \ that is NOT under the question mark, usually just above or below enter key).

(I do IT work, and that's how I always describe that key, as the backslash is needed sometimes for domain\username logons, and the forward slash does not work, and the right key is actually found in different places on different keyboards (laptops especially)).

Sgt. Cookie
2012-03-25, 09:32 AM
[QUOTE=sdream;12952967]{table=head]Player|Character sheet|Race/Class|Background|Approved
Jodah|Phaedrus (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=382016)|Human/Factotum|Rogue/scribe|Needs Approval
Starbin|Caladeran (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=382854)|Tundra Elf/Duskblade|Envoy|Needs Approval
pixieknot|Malaina (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=380214)|Halfling/Rogue|"invisible" theif|Needs Approval
sdream|Selena (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=381385)|Human/Psion|lost girl|Needs Approval
Sgt. Cookie|Aquarius (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=382389)|Silver brow human/Red mage|Wanderer|Needs approval[/table]

Speaking
Whispering
Thinking

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-25, 01:52 PM
{table=head]Player|Character sheet|Race/Class|Background|Approved
Jodah|Phaedrus (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=382016)|Human/Factotum|Rogue/scribe|Approved
Starbin|Caladeran (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=382854)|Tundra Elf/Duskblade|Envoy|Approved
pixieknot|Malaina (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=380214)|Halfling/Rogue|"invisible" thief|Approved
sdream|Selena (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=381385)|Human/Psion|lost girl|Approved
Sgt. Cookie|Aquarius (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=382389)|Silver brow human/Red mage|Wanderer|Approved[/table]

All approved. Are we waiting for anyone else?
IC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12955675#post12955675) will be up in a few hours.

Suddo
2012-03-25, 02:23 PM
{table=head]Player|Character sheet|Race/Class|Background|Approved
Jodah|Phaedrus (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=382016)|Human/Factotum|Rogue/scribe|Approved
Starbin|Caladeran (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=382854)|Tundra Elf/Duskblade|Envoy|Approved
pixieknot|Malaina (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=380214)|Halfling/Rogue|"invisible" thief|Approved
sdream|Selena (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=381385)|Human/Psion|lost girl|Approved
Sgt. Cookie|Aquarius (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=382389)|Silver brow human/Red mage|Wanderer|Approved
Suddo|Glanror (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=382554)|Dwarf/Warblade|Polotician's Son|Not Yet?[/table]

Speaking
Whispering
//Thinking

Out of Character / Notes

Oh and were you okay with me having a assistant carry my stuff around. As a son of a politician its something Glanror would think would show power/wealth. I've budgeted him as 3sp a day, if this is too low just tell me.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-25, 02:31 PM
Nope Suddo, that's fine. Though it would be worth saying whether he comes on specific missions or not (stealth, adventure, social call).

Suddo
2012-03-25, 02:36 PM
Nope Suddo, that's fine. Though it would be worth saying whether he comes on specific missions or not (stealth, adventure, social call).

Mainly while in town, so social. Maybe on an adventure, though assume so unless I say so, specifically. Beyond that he'll just hang out in my Inn room that I pre-paid for. Never for stealth.

sdream
2012-03-25, 04:39 PM
Unless you have other plans, I'd like to be hanging out with Phaedrus.
- I don't like to be alone
- He's my oldest friend (since I'm afraid to contact my family)
- I help out his rogue guild friends regularly

I leave it entirely to Maliana how/if we know each other (you can even declare my family to be the racist nobles, although I would prefer that be somebody else).

Is Kalthen not going to sign up?

Jodah
2012-03-25, 06:28 PM
Phaedrus and Selena hanging out would be fine, the question is the time of day. If it is night it is more likely, but if it is daytime, I will likely be rendering services in the market. But as I said, I can't place myself until we have a time of day.

pixieknot
2012-03-25, 08:02 PM
Unless you have other plans, I'd like to be hanging out with Phaedrus.
- I don't like to be alone
- He's my oldest friend (since I'm afraid to contact my family)
- I help out his rogue guild friends regularly

I leave it entirely to Maliana how/if we know each other (you can even declare my family to be the racist nobles, although I would prefer that be somebody else).

Is Kalthen not going to sign up?

I imagine that Selena and Malaina would get along if not be friends; she seems to have some similar lost feelings...though that may be my thought because I ooc can relate to some of what she's feeling... I'd say it would make for a difficult party if your family is the one I am disgruntle against...

also, thanks for the tech help, I'll probably need more of that type of assistance in the not too distant future.

sdream
2012-03-25, 08:20 PM
Cool, don't forget to subscribe to the new in character thread Al'Lan made:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237456

Looks like gameplay starts with you searching out Phaedrus (maybe his market is closed for the parade so he's hanging at the library). I'm new to PbP though, so I'm not sure exactly how we are all supposed to specify where we start and what we're doing.

pixieknot
2012-03-25, 08:54 PM
lol, I was just cursing my internet speed because it took FOREVER to load my post...I knew that you'd be getting on any minute...also, I was just telling my husband that I'm going to set my alarm to get up a half hour earlier to check and see what everyone is doing...PbP is taking A LOT of getting used to and we've just started...eekk

al'Lan; is Archa a title? I was going to use it as such, but reworded because I wasn't sure if that was correct...

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-26, 01:59 AM
Yep Archa is just the title of the elected leader (elected by the nobility of course).

Phaedrus doesn't have to start at the library. Just a suggestion for where Malaina would start looking.

Anyone can place themselves anywhere.

Its about 10am ish IC.

Phaedrus- language thing sounds fun- go for it.

Suddo
2012-03-26, 05:08 AM
The country of Arvan is really not a country, but a collection of human cities with separate rulers and ruling bodies, tied together by bonds of allegiance to join forces should they be threatened by their neighbours. This united strength has led to peace for long years, but a time of chaos approaches...

In Cleyarna (a human city to the south of Arvan) the aged Archa Leane is losing her grip on power, and with her House too weak to establish a successor those hungry for power are circling.

The Halfling country is at war, a successful revolution has led to two sides with powerful generals waging bloody war and thousands joining the fight every week, and the violence threatens to spread.

The elves who had once retreated from the world have appeared once more, in small bands appearing at random throughout the country, and many other things once lost are returning...


I'm pasting this here so I don't have to find the recruitment thread to remember the city or country's name.

Also what season? Is it warm or cold? I don't want to say the warm sun of the early day when it is normally cloudy and cold.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-26, 06:56 AM
Summer. The rest of you will be brought in shortly, don't worry, if you want to meet up prior to the games etc then you could RP that.

sdream
2012-03-26, 08:36 AM
Al'Lan - As I mentioned in my possible plans for the morning, I've used attraction (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/attraction.htm) to help the girls I room with find good new customers (just to give them a solid chance to talk to passerby they like the looks of, and see if they are open to becoming clients).

I plan to also take Read Thoughts (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/readThoughts.htm) through my fifth level bonus feat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#expandedKnowledge), can I fluff my background as having used my rudimentary early fumblings with this ability (and my sense motive skill) to help spot troublesome clients for my roommates? (I just can't make the power work in any other circumstance yet).

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-26, 11:03 AM
sdream: That all sounds fine.

Also, Sgt Cookie: when you prepare spells could you list them in a spoiler please, so it's easier to keep track of everything.

Jodah
2012-03-26, 12:27 PM
Since I have nothing to add IC, I want to list that my "prepared spell" today was going to be shield, but I think that I will prepare Scholar's touch (from RoD) instead, since I was planning on spending the day in the library. Basically it lets me speed read to the Nth degree (as in an entire book every 6 seconds, for up to rounds/level).

Suddo
2012-03-26, 04:16 PM
Does anyone want to name my Squire? Otherwise his name will be Clancy.

sdream
2012-03-26, 04:30 PM
Steven Brusts 3 musketeer's books had a squire that brought a stool everywhere so he could sit down, and hit several important people with said stool. Can't find his name though.

Mica (http://dragaera.wikia.com/wiki/Mica) from "The Phoenix Guards"

Jodah
2012-03-26, 04:52 PM
Geoffrey or Chaucer would be my suggestions (not both, because that would silly). The word squire alone reminds me of one of my favorite cards (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=108908&type=card) from MTG.

pixieknot
2012-03-26, 08:09 PM
Is there any map for the city? I don't expect you to make one because I'm asking...but if it exists I'd love to look at it...the fantasy reader in me wants to flip to the cover and reference the different parts of the city to plan routes to here and there...

Also, did we have a posting expectancy??? I'm going to try for early morning, and evening posts, but I don't want to hold people up if I can't make a post especially during anything that's init. based... I can't always rely on this internet connection.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-26, 08:32 PM
Not got a map yet, and when I do it will be a hand sketched map, sorry. In my head the library is central ish, but off to the South West. The slummy bits are directly South. Then the is just north of you and the Castello and surroundings are halfway between the centre and the Eastern gate.

Posting rate is up to you. Normally posting is high at the beginning and goes down, but I'd like to keep it at a minimum of 1/day. Obviously morning and evening sounds solid but with timezones it doesn't matter so much. I'm quite flexible and can leave my computer connected so it's easy for me to quickly check if there is something that needs replying to.

Jodah
2012-03-26, 08:34 PM
I am of similar opinion on the map, even if it is super basic, simply to have some reference to where I am (North, South, East, West of other areas and a vague sense of distance). But I do agree, you don't need to make one simply to ease my mind, but if you have one I am curious.

Also, I want to apologize, I can't seem to remember to color my speaking consistently (I do go back and do it if I realize I forgot). Hopefully, that will eventually become a habit eventually.

sdream
2012-03-26, 08:57 PM
Latency is the big killer, when folks have to leave their PCs for long periods of time. If you know you are going to have to do that, try to post a "plans if" message with enough info to let your character run autopilot for a couple rounds.

(I'll be doing one in a bit, so you can see what I mean).

PS - Selena likes to give short nicknames to people (as she just called Phaedrus Fade). If this ticks your character off let me know so I can make sure to avoid it (at least when she wants something from you), and if you have a preference, let me know.

I was thinking:
Fade for Phaedrus
Mal, alley, or anna for Malianna
Cal or winky for the elf
Rus for the red mage we'll soon see

PPS - Did we ever get approval from Kalthen for the big brother of Phaedrus who just went merchanting with Glanror and Aquarius tie in?

Jodah
2012-03-26, 09:19 PM
PPS - Did we ever get approval from Kalthen for the big brother of Phaedrus who just went merchanting with Glanror and Aquarius tie in?

Me and Krennel are hammering that out - basically trying to figure out how the family life would have worked.

As far as nicknames go, the more casual you are with Phaedrus, the more casual he will be back (i.e. He is probably going to use sir and madam a lot (or some equivalent), but calling him a nickname is permission for him to think of one for you.

sdream
2012-03-26, 09:49 PM
Works for me!

Suddo
2012-03-26, 10:04 PM
Just a question as a PbP newbie. If I feel it would help is in good taste to leave a spoiler box full of OoC sutff below my post.
Such as with my current one. I'm just stating how I am equipped and that I am leaving some point before noon. I actually make sure not to mention a time so I don't end up somewhere I'm not suppose to be.
I would think it would be but wanted to make sure.

pixieknot
2012-03-27, 06:01 AM
Also, I want to apologize, I can't seem to remember to color my speaking consistently (I do go back and do it if I realize I forgot). Hopefully, that will eventually become a habit eventually.

If I didn't have my husband reading over my shoulder for my first post I'd have forgotten color too...

As for my nickname "Mal" is something I already refer to the character as...

I'll try to keep up with posting, but my internet connection isn't good, and the library is closed Sundays, so if you don't hear from me on that day I'm cussing at the computer and trying to not throw it from a window...any other day if I can't get ti to work by 5pm I'll go to the library...

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-27, 06:03 AM
Suddo: That's fine, in fact it's very helpful. Also since most of the inns are very central (still working on that map) you will probably run into the rest of the party shortly.

Pixieknot: That's fine, very dedicated :smallsmile:

Also it seems I write 'that's fine' a lot, maybe I should come up with alternate phrases...

pixieknot
2012-03-27, 06:23 AM
totally just bombed rolling...if Sdream or someone wishes to post my rolls for this section (just +3 to init) and let me know if they can see what I did wrong...I got to get going to work...

Thanks!

sdream
2012-03-27, 07:43 AM
Yeah, I ran into trouble too, given how picky the system is, it should really have a button to help you roll.

What I've discovered:
- have to use [/roll] (forward slash) at the end, not \roll backslash
- You can only use one bonus: 1d20+6 works, but 1d20+4+2 does not.

What Maliana discovered:
- spaces break it too

So to recap, it looks like it has to be exactly:
XdY+Z

@Al'lan you did say we were a group, that means we know each other on sight from previous introductions (even the new elf)?

PS - I think I would know Fade and Mal very well, so I would definitely use nicknames for them. Not sure about the others.

PPS - I also love having maps, I was looking for nice tools to help you quickly generate one for customization, didn't find anything awesome:
- This site has awesome maps, but you have to register to download full size (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?14630-Featured-Map-The-City-of-Castran-by-Zong)
- this one doesn't have enough options, tends to not have enough building size diversity. (http://www.inkwellideas.com/roleplaying_tools/random_city/)
- This one seems too random, and not dense enough (http://www.inkwellideas.com/roleplaying_tools/random_city/v2.jsp?type=city&hwy=&stt=&rvr=&river=&harbor=&wall=&submit=submit)
- This one is much like the last, only with TOO MANY options, and is an installed utility. (http://www.stargazersworld.com/2009/02/27/roleplaying-city-map-generator/)
- This java download tool lets you put buildings down and rotate them, but it has a bit of a learning curve, seems to lack random building placement, and is hex based. (http://hexographer.com/free_hexographer.shtml)

I would think if you are busy, grabbing a map from the first link or rolling the second until you get one close to your vision for the city (and filling it in a little bit) would be best.

sdream
2012-03-27, 12:41 PM
What about this one, seems to have some variety of building size. Mark up some slums, name the noble houses, guild houses, markets and we are good to go.


Less compressed (png) copy (http://nmonk.org/dnd/city1.png)

http://nmonk.org/dnd/city1.jpg


I'd be happy to help, I know my way around gimp. Could get rid of the water, or glom together a couple cities if you wanted, add or remove the special roofed buildings, recolor etc. I think the most realistic city would have only a few very wide streets, the rest much narrower, and many blocks would be set closer together, although towards the rich and powerful section of town streets would be wide and buildings set apart.

On an unrelated note, Selena would have sent her parents at least a couple letters saying she was well, and that she hoped they understood her need to find herself without the family looming over her every decision. (She also would have arranged a bank to repay what she ran off with, along with the first note). She often feels guilty about not writing more, or seeing them, but she is paralyzed with fear about what they might say or do that might make her feel either like a little bad girl again, or like a stranger that was imposing.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-27, 02:19 PM
Thanks sdream, I'll have a little look into this.

And yes you would recognise each other, So when our duskblade appears you ought to recognise him (as part of the back story I thought he joined your expedition). In fact the only person not on the expedition was potentially Malaina (if memory serves), but since she's with you you can always point them out for her.

pixieknot
2012-03-27, 03:07 PM
I'm a bad pixie... I had to change my sheet; seeing the plus zero on spot I knew that couldn't be right and realized that I'd only spent 42 points, so I still had 6. Not sure if I forgot or if mythweavers messed up, I've heard it does that. (I put 3 into spot and 3 into search.) Oh, and just so we're all clear I'm not asking for a reroll or anything, it was just one roll, but I figured everyone should know that my sheet changed a little and why that was.

@sdream; Can I be the pesky critter who delivers said letters?

sdream
2012-03-27, 03:14 PM
Last I heard they're hidden on your person.

Rumor has it the last person who went searching around there without permission lost a couple fingers, so Selena feels much safer with them there than in the hands of anonymous street youth #372.

She just really didn't trust handing them over to a solo runner in a city fallen into chaos. A skilled rogue with backup within earshot is a totally different story.


PS - About the skillpoints, did you factor in your negative int mod? I know you said you aren't used to such low scores. Maybe it would be easier to push a point of stat from wis to int. In point buy 9 and 11 costs 4 points, just like 10 and 10.

Starbin
2012-03-27, 07:03 PM
Sorry - between work, travel and learning to type on an iPad, I've been slow to post. One reason I hadn't worried to mush was I didn't see where Cal (= ok nickname, Winky not so much :smalltongue:) was with the group. Maybe I missed it, but I figured Cal was out waiting for the parade, if he wasn't with the others for some reason. Lan, let me know where I start. Thanks all!

pixieknot
2012-03-27, 07:24 PM
@Sdream I meant the letters to your family...I was questioning more how much our characters know/trust each other...

Also...you're right, I did the math wrong...my skill points have been redone completely with new numbers taken into better account...Maybe I've not had any enormous oversights this time...

Jodah
2012-03-27, 08:20 PM
I will be offline for the next 24 hours, unfortunately. Real life has suddenly come upon me and I can't ignore it, as much I would like to, this time. Given that there is no way for me to predict what is going to happen enough to offer a plan for what Phaedrus does. Does anyone want to take actions for me tomorrow, or should I lay out extremely general guideline for you a'Lan?

If someone does want to take actions, please be sparing in using inspiration - I only have 4/encounter. I plan to use the cunning knowledge on diplomacy to break up as much of the mob as possible. If there is not a mob, I plan to apprehend the child and take him before Thevya. Also, I am currently attempting to lose the interest of the alley people, but I don't want to aggress if at all possible.

sdream
2012-03-27, 08:20 PM
I'd love additional depth connecting the party. The time frame I'm thinking of is about 5 years ago, about 1 year after I ran off to river city. I could have had a scribe send to Phaedrus, who I knew, and he may have asked you to do the delivery. Would you have been in the guild then? Would it have been one of your first guild jobs? Would you have peeked at the letter or asked Fade about it?

pixieknot
2012-03-28, 06:08 AM
It would not have been a very good beginning to the guild if I were asking questions, and Malaina can hardly read a few words, so undoubtedly she would never bother. That would have needed to be the very first of my guild actions.

sdream
2012-03-28, 07:22 AM
Maybe Fade stressed it was a personal task, and you just asked about me afterward.

In any case, the letters were roughly 5 and 3 years ago, and they could be yours if you wish.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-28, 08:00 AM
Starbin: you can start where ever you like, the party's coming together now, and since Glanror is in the centre near one of the inns, it seems logical to start pretty central.

Jodah: If your inaction is holding back the game then I can step in, but for the moent it seems fine for you to run with the group since you aren't fighting atm.

sdream
2012-03-28, 08:41 AM
Speaking of holding back, He did say he wanted to try to sooth the crowd.

Can we get an idea of the environment outside the library?
Where are the people, how many, what are they doing?

Suddo
2012-03-28, 10:26 AM
Suddo: That's fine, in fact it's very helpful. Also since most of the inns are very central (still working on that map) you will probably run into the rest of the party shortly.

That's fine, I assume that I should roll initiative due to that?

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-28, 02:30 PM
sdream: Yep, there wasn't anyone else outside the library, but as you move about I will add those details to the IC threads.

Suddo: yep, go ahead.

sdream
2012-03-28, 02:42 PM
@al'Lan - I think we were all under the impression there was a crowd outside. Also I think Fade is leading the rest of us (as he follows the child) to wherever the crowd hypothetically is, so just go ahead and skip to whatever we find:
- kid trying to bolt (I think only Fade is expecting/caring about this)
- a lovely ambush (shell shocked Selena is worrying about this)
- or a group on the verge of some mischief (boy's claims)

PS - Not sure what nickname Fade would use for me, Cell, Eana, lina, Eeenie, Tuna (from Fortuna), Fishies (4tuna), roof rabbit (from the climbing)

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-28, 03:11 PM
Oh, there are gatherings, but the library wasn't a particular hot spot :smalltongue:

sdream
2012-03-28, 04:04 PM
Fade probably won't be back for a couple hours based on his earlier post, but I'd love to know:

- do we recognize any of the groups or people as anyone with motivations and histories we may understand, so that we can work on getting info and defusing the situation?
- is Glanror (our other face, if I recall) around this plaza?
- What kind of guard presence is visible and/or expected?
- How big are these groups, and how are they armed?
- Do there appear to be innocent bystanders, or have they all fled?

(edited to make it less creepily co-dependent).

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-28, 04:40 PM
-Some of you (probably Malaina) might recognise members of three of the groups as heavies from the guild (though some aren't necessarily heavies and have other 'specialities').
-Yes, this is an opportunity for the others to walk into plaza.
-None, currently, some likely soon.
-5 groups ranging from 6-12 in number, a few with simple weapons- clubs and daggers but majority with swords-short and long. No ranged weapons other than daggers.
-No bystanders

sdream
2012-03-29, 08:09 AM
@Starbin - Aquarius apparently met us earlier right outside the library (in 'Lan's spoiler), although Glanror and Kalthen might be with you entering the plaza.

(Haven't seen anything from Kalthen in a while, he might have fallen down a well).

Jodah
2012-03-29, 08:32 AM
Just a question of etiquette: should we or should we not read all the spoilers, or only the ones addressed to us? I know in my live playgroups I will directly respond to someone's question for everyone to hear, but other times I will pass a note, but I don't know which one spoilers are more like. Any guiding principles?

Also, in the game, are these groups rather spread out, or are they close together? Could someone raising their voice a little communicate with all of them, or would I have to visit each group individually?

sdream
2012-03-29, 08:38 AM
I plan to read all the spoilers, although I'll try to keep OOC knowledge OOC.

If anyone has something private to express, there's a private message feature here that makes that a sure thing.

Oh, I forgot that 'Lan said we picked up Aquarius. His background seemed pretty roguish (but also not like he would join a guild, even of rogues). Does he see any friends among the crowd? - Hmmm just checked his sheet, no diplomacy, no charm prepped. Looks like he's limited to looming and booming atm, although an introduction if he does have a friend in a group Fade doesn't know would help.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-29, 09:04 AM
Perfectly fine for you to read each other's spoilers, as long as you keep IC knowledge and OOC knowledge separate. If there is something secret happening I can PM you (or you me).

Any of you with roguish backgrounds will be able to recognise members of 4 of the groups, but the largest group (of 12) doesn't have anyone you recognise from the guild in it.

They are near enough that a shout would be heard by all groups.

sdream
2012-03-29, 11:48 AM
Well that's a second group which is at least friendly to us, and claims to follow the guild leader. They must be separate because they want to get rough with the other groups (unlike the first group).

The three remaining groups, is there a location that is less than 30 feet from all three? I'd like to angle our party there so I can attract for Fade on these tougher diplomatic sells, without walking up with him, or obviously leaving our group to do so (psionics with signs suppressed is much more subtle than casting, but walking up first sort of ruins that).

..."+4 bonus on any interaction checks you make involving the subject (such as Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, and Sense Motive)."

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-29, 12:45 PM
Tomilin Coursan is the Guild Leader, and Perran Fervon is one of the higher members of the Guild (as is Lissa Thevya).

There are plenty of places 30+ ft away from all groups (it's a large courtyard), but you'd be quite in the open (is there a range you are trying not to exceed?) The groups are about 50-80ft away from each other.

sdream
2012-03-29, 01:08 PM
Right, I'm trying to get the party within 30 feet of the groups, so I can be "chatting" with Mal (Rus seems to be with the other group) and be able to help Fade out with an attract (close range) on whoever the leader seems to be, as he tries to convince them to join forces to intimidate the Scuvs into behaving.

I can attract the leader to Fade, which should make them more receptive and willing to talk.

Suddo
2012-03-29, 05:18 PM
So I botched the rolls in character and I'd rather not double post there I'd rather just roll here and link I hope that is fine.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Jodah
2012-03-30, 12:43 AM
So, I pondered today. What would Phaedrus do when presented with a scenario that seemed destined to devolve into sort of violence, especially when he is not really the type to seek out violence himself. That plan, that one posted right now in IC, is the best I've got - a controlled violence that serves to subvert further degeneration.

If anyone has anything better, please speak up.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-30, 02:46 AM
I won't be able to post for about 36hours now - RL and all that. Just so you know. Sorry.

pixieknot
2012-03-30, 06:16 AM
WT well I guess 3/4 rolls worked...I'm still not sure what I'm messing up...I...fifth look...ah...= vs +...darn fool I am...here's my new climb roll:

[roll0]


I suppose I need to be more careful...

sdream
2012-03-30, 08:16 AM
I think we have a strong case for getting the guild groups to unify long enough to drive away the scuvvs and then taking the guild politics back to the guild house for straightening out. I'm sure the guild has systems for handling disputes (or it would have cracked up long before now).

And with our little crystal walky-talky, Maliana can head directly off to her backup plan, and if things go well, start doing her delivery job, all with a lifeline to the party plans. Crystalena will let her know when she stops being able to talk to me (around 1 mile away, and probably by starting to want to talk to Maliana, even a single minded fragment of me likes company).

Whoops, sorry Mal, red was my color on a different thread, I'll fix that later.

Starbin
2012-03-31, 03:40 PM
Just got back home, so settling back in ... but as always, posting on weekends is fairly sparse for me.

But for clarity's sake, I'm not sure I understand what we're trying to do, so let me see if I've got some of the facts correct.

- Current Arca of the city is having trouble holding power
- Throwing a big party to consolidate power
- A council of lords is circling
* Assumption: Multiple contenders on the council, vying for control
- Most of our group is associated with a Guild (rogue?)
- There are multiple guilds in the city
* Assumption: certain guilds are connected to certain lords on the council
* Assumption: Guilds are more than just various thieves guilds
* Assumption: Guilds anticipate a change in power, hence why their out

So I'm trying to figure out why we're in the middle of all this. Are we supporting our guild's rise to power? Is our guild associated with the current leader? Are these scuvvies associated with other guilds, or just lawless crowds looking for looting opportunities? I guess when we were working on the common background, I didn't realize the majority of the group actually worked for a guild (or was tied to what seems to be a rogues guild). I don't know that my character would have wanted to be beholden to such an organization. Maybe I'm not understanding the dynamic here ...

Also, I'd think long and hard about shooting an arrow (sleep or otherwise) at the current leader. On one hand, you could get caught and get your guild in trouble; on the other, you might give the others a reason to start a riot.

Sorry about all that, but I'm just not putting it all together in my head and it makes me confused.

sdream
2012-03-31, 03:51 PM
I think I've got a bit more of it.

Mal and Fade are actual members of the rogue's guild (and our friends)
Aquarius and Selena are roguish and have many friends in the guild

So 4 of the group have a strong interest in the rogue's guild not getting in deep doo (and you guys are helping us either to keep the peace, or out of friendship)

Fade thinks if the factions of the guild (or even the scuvvs) cause trouble here the rogue's guild will take heavy political fallout.

Mal's distraction (which is sort of a desperate fallback plan) is not intended to be attributable to the guild (or Mal), but just keep the procession busy for a few extra minutes to clean up this mess.

So, we have a bit over 5 minutes from when Mal left to get things in shape so we can tell her it's OK and don't stir the hornet's nest. I've talked a lot, lets get Fade and Aquarius and glanror to put some Guild groups together and route the scuvvs, so we can get back to our deliveries and whatever orther hijinks 'Lan has planned.

Jodah
2012-03-31, 04:05 PM
What's going on from my point of view and why I am acting as I am.

Thieves' guild issues: I sincerely doubt a thieves' guild is legal, and I am certain that members have issues with authority. That said, if there is a riot, I don't want it to be my guild that starts it - that would likely mean cracking down on any known members. The vying for power that I am worried about it inside the guild itself, I am mildly concerned about the council seeking to take over because it can make the populace feel less safe and more trouble breaking out.

I am good, so I don't want any blood spilled if I can avoid it and if I can't I want to minimize it - one of the reasons why I am actively avoiding combat (the other because combat could go very poorly for me and I do want to live).

My main conflict is balancing my ties to the guild and my alignment in a rather tricky situation.

Also, very few of us are beholden to the guild. I am, and I have to be careful because of it.

Krennel
2012-04-01, 02:01 AM
Sorry, but I need to pull out of the game.

Suddo
2012-04-01, 04:24 PM
Okay what are Scuvvs? That's a term I'm not familiar with, did I miss something.

Beyond that: Glanror is ready to rumble but would prefer not to get his hands dirty for the most part if something happens he's going to try and knock some people.
Glanror isn't part of any guild, but isn't particularly against having friendly relations with people. Power in Allies as it were.

sdream
2012-04-01, 04:33 PM
When the kid first showed up 'Lan did a little aside saying scuvs were non-guild rogues.

pixieknot
2012-04-01, 05:25 PM
Yes, please, if I could have shot off that first sleep arrow ( do you want me to reroll as we put off the shot?) Sorry I was so long away RL ran away with me, so glad it didn't take me for long...

New rolls if needed
sleep arrow:[roll0] then the second arrow (normal) [roll1]

sdream
2012-04-02, 03:32 PM
'Lan - in the group of 12, I think you said I saw no bows or crossbows...

What about rapiers, longswords, and shortswords. Are there 5 within a 15 foot spread?

I can offer it to Fade as part of a final warning diplomancy that I can try and shatter these more expensive and larger weapons (to put them at a disadvantage). My character would prefer to save her juice to put down foes if it comes to a fight, but this might help prevent one.

(Cold missile does literally 6 points more damage than sonic, and it uses fort DC which skips evasion, but only sonic can shatter weapons (cold does nothing after being divided by 4 and then having hardness subtracted)

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-02, 03:43 PM
Sdream: No ranged weapons beyond daggers. Yes, about half this group is armed with longswords, the rest have shrtswords (1/4) or clubs (1/4). Yes 5 within a 15ft block.

Starbin
2012-04-03, 04:24 AM
'Lan, I thought there were two groups of scuvvs (12 and 6) and Phaedrus was addressing the larger group, in an effort to get them to disperse ... before the group of 20 Guildies decided to force the issue? Based on your post, it looks like one of the guild 'leaders' answered.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-03, 05:48 AM
Ah, I thought he was talking to the Guildies still.

Starbin
2012-04-03, 11:44 AM
Excellent ... now, given these events, has Malaina's shot created a stir where we're at yet, or are there even any crowds around us (thinking about the normal looky-loos that would hang out for a peek at the Archa)?

sdream
2012-04-03, 12:02 PM
Excellent ... now, given these events, has Malaina's shot created a stir where we're at yet, or are there even any crowds around us (thinking about the normal looky-loos that would hang out for a peek at the Archa)?

'Lan said all the innocent bystander gawkers here were frightened off by the large groups of angry armed rogues.

Given that it seems the time elapsed in the square is less than the 5 minutes it would take for Mal to get to the Archa, and 5 minutes of climbing and running is far less than a mile, is the shot a miscommunication, or do we still have time to switch Mal's mission to delivery and rendezvous elsewhere?

PS - Selena will want to follow the leader's friends, make sure they actually leave the area, and wait for the Archa to pass (if she is still headed this way).

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-03, 01:52 PM
Well it would have taken some time for the various groups to move around and decide to join you, so if we count extended periods of conferring it would hve taken longer than 5 minutes, and we can retcon it to Mal taking 5 minutes to get there or less, then firing the arrow as per the previous decision, so as to maintain continuity.

Starbin
2012-04-03, 03:22 PM
Well, I think sdream was hoping it was retconned to NOT happen - I thought the attack was supposed to only occur as a way of getting the guards to physically disperse would-be rioters ... which appears to be unnecessary right now.

So, did the shot go off? If yes, has our group noticed anything indicating that (shouts from down the street, sounds of booted feet running in the direction of the procession, something via the crystal cell-phone, etc).

Thanks!

pixieknot
2012-04-03, 08:03 PM
Malaina ducks trying to conceal herself:[roll0] (just an FYI RL wants to eat me up...I'll be offline for days at least Fri-Mon...hopefully I'll be able to post tomorrow and Thurs. but in case I'm bitten again here are basic actions if someone could roll for me if needed.
Malaina will ask Crystalina if the group is in need of assistance; actions are answer based:
Yes the group needs me; I go back to where the group is as quickly as possible ignoring guards (if any) from recent actions and take shots from the roof at the enemy
no the group has things under control: I vanish for at least ten minutes, then once very certain I'm not being followed I begin to deliver letters, waiting to be told if there will be a reply, but not necessarily waiting for the reply (I'll return to anyone who wished to make a reply) Then once I have all reply letters I will return either to Selena (with Crystalina's help) or the library

sdream
2012-04-03, 09:31 PM
Ah well, separated from the group like this is a good time to be afk, as we can assume you are doing deliveries and then catch you up when you get back.

Suddo
2012-04-04, 12:00 PM
Could someone remind me who I'm friends with particularly? I can't remember and scrolling threw this thread and the recruiting thread may or may not be the quickest way. If not I'm just going to approach who I think is in charge.

(I'll write it on my character sheet so I don't forget this time)

sdream
2012-04-04, 12:08 PM
I think you were mainly friends with the guy who vanished, but you also mentioned you might have known Selena from her father's diplomatic efforts. There was also supposed to have been a recent trip most of us came back from (merchanting, nearby city).

sdream
2012-04-05, 08:22 AM
Aquarius, you lookin' for me? I'm standing right by our friend from the the business trip to River City.

(We ARE a party, even if we're having some trouble nailing down backstory details).

Oh, the woman in the alley with the thugs...

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-05, 01:39 PM
I think he means the woman who was with two men outside the library.

sdream
2012-04-06, 08:16 AM
Glanror taking Selena up on the promised bar with a good roof?

I figure that can place us wherever 'Lan needs us next, or we can segue into meeting Mal after her deliveries (or running to her support).

Jodah
2012-04-06, 03:08 PM
Thank goodness Aquarius remembered that, because apparently Phaedrus was too happy to be done with the fight to check on suspicious persons...AKA - I forgot. Good job, sgt.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-06, 04:25 PM
Right so currently Malaina is on route to deliver the first note, Aquarius has just had his meeting, and Phaedrus, Glanror and Selena are in the square with the procession not too far away- I'm not sure if you want me to move the party to the inn where you can watch the procession, or if you are just chatting/waiting/prompting.

sdream
2012-04-06, 06:57 PM
Our last posts had Fade headed to a bar, and Selena inviting Glanror to a nice roof of a tavern that overlooks the procession.

I don't see why that can't be the same rooftop beer garden near the procession.

I think people are feeling a little adrift at the moment, a nice regrouping and a solid hook will help out.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-04-07, 08:59 AM
Al, do you mind if I roll a sense motive check?Tto see if he was telling the truth or not, about delivering the message.


The roll: [roll0]

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-07, 01:30 PM
Aquarius: Yeah, he seemed pretty scared by your weapons and armour and will deliver the message.

Starbin
2012-04-07, 03:34 PM
Well I have no idea where I'm at, so I guess I'll wait for the next round-up. Color me another shade of confused in our ever changing, fluid interactive dynamics.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-07, 05:19 PM
Sorry Starbin, entirely my fault, I got confused with Aquarius and Malaina off doing things and forgot where you'd ended up. But I'm pretty sure you did end up in the courtyard and are now with the main group in the Rising Sun. Alternatively you can do your own thing if that isn't what your character would do.

sdream
2012-04-08, 10:52 AM
@Eagle eyed Cal
If it helps you formulate a response, Selena may have offered to run a rope up the wall next to the balcony to help the complaining party escape the increasing crowd.

@'Lan I found an interesting city map online with a bunch of annotations, how about this guy? (http://www.freewebs.com/kalevalahammer/Nuln_own.jpg)

Jodah
2012-04-08, 11:10 PM
Sgt/Aquarius: I regret to inform you that Phaedrus do not in fact work in the library... he does spend an inordinate amount of time there though. It is plausible that he has a specific area though (if he has to rent it, I can reflect a small amount on my character sheet). I work in the market - primarily when I need coin - where there are many more people wandering about who may decide to have someone record something - contract, receipts, notices from guards, or letters to run.

a'Lan: how much is a standard fare for drink? and how much would a study space cost - that seems like a good investment that Phaedrus would have made, though I didn't think of it during creation.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-09, 05:13 AM
Sdream: that looks really good, I'll have a quick check to work out what goes where, but for the moment, replace the Aldig Quarter with the Castello, C7 is where you had your meeting with the Guildies and Scuvvs, C31-33+ C45/46 is the library. The bar you're in is B10.

Jodah: a drink would be 1cp. renting a space, in the library I assume, would be 5sp for a year.

sdream
2012-04-09, 09:33 AM
Sdream: that looks really good, I'll have a quick check to work out what goes where, but for the moment, replace the Aldig Quarter with the Castello, C7 is where you had your meeting with the Guildies and Scuvvs, C31-33+ C45/46 is the library. The bar you're in is B10.


Take a look at edits so far (http://nmonk.org/dnd/Cleyarna.jpg): (warning, 1 MB jpeg, the editable 9MB Gimp xcf is at the same location)

I figured the library and it's administrative building (merged a bit over time) would not the the hoity toity one used by the ruling class, but a memorial project by a previous Archa to serve the merchant and industrial district across the bridge in Faulestadt (which has since gone a bit downhill). Thus, it may have an active secondary scribe market and wider variety of illicit connections. (Market + merchant stuff 31-33).

There's a whole lotta german on this map - dwarven stonecrafters must have had a big hand in planning streets and sewers (Cleyana must have splurged on a lot of buildings that aren't very flammable).

Sgt. Cookie
2012-04-11, 10:40 AM
Sorry I haven't posted, I haven't had the time to make an IC post yet. I will soon though.

sdream
2012-04-11, 02:58 PM
Will save versus whatever type of CC is used (let me know if it stops just physical actions, speech also, or even purely mental actions)

Will save: [roll0]

Ok, I should not need to know that, that probably counts as his surprise round (as I was clearly not expecting comabt. Want to roll initiative (reroll mine if you want, I got a 13 when I took off after him initially), and have Selena yelp (you can decide the audability of that, and clearness of line of sight for the others on the roof).

Jodah
2012-04-11, 03:02 PM
Since Phaedrus can see the figure, does he also see Selena, the effect, and the results?

EDIT: my question got ninja'd.

Starbin
2012-04-11, 03:38 PM
Spot check: [roll0] or Search check: [roll1]

sdream
2012-04-12, 08:49 AM
So everybody has 30 seconds after my squeel while I track and watch the magic signatures... but only some of you seem active.

Fade and Cal seem to be trying to figure out what happened (they still have several turns after they get some responses on their spellcraft checks from 'Lan).

Glanror was at the bar, and has yet to respond to my wandering off saying I was going to check out the stranger Cal noticed.

Maliana WAS in a separate time and place delivering the first few messages, if there was an option for her to have delivered the first, and then planned to meet us back here to see the parade from the inn before delivering the rest, that would be good to know. In any case, Mal, please let me know how it's going for you, or if you want 'Lan to give you more info.

Aquarius IS in a separate time and place following a lead from the alleys in Fade's Scribe's Library study across the street from the merchant guild and scribe market. It looks like 'Lan is ready for you to bluff your pitch to dig info from the lady and her 2 men.

So that's everybody, please post.

PS- Sorry I grabbed cop attention right before you jumped over. It had been 6 days since anyone else posted on the roof so I was working on the idea I might be suddenly alone facing an encounter designed for 4.

pixieknot
2012-04-21, 06:25 PM
So sorry...went away for a weekend and came back to find I no longer had a computer...or a bunch of other stuff...eeekkkk...the last while has been way too RL...

I hope that I'll be able to regularly be online, and I've watched from afar what is happening, and it does seem that the party is still dealing with the mess I caused, so I'll assume (without anyone becoming a donkey) I'm still delivering letters. If I'm close enough to let Selena know that I've delivered the first and ask what I might be walking into before I come up I'll do that, but if I'm out of range, and the second delivery is closer I'll do that instead...

not sure what to put IC until I'm more clear about where Mal is at...

Jodah
2012-04-21, 10:05 PM
PS- Sorry I grabbed cop attention right before you jumped over. It had been 6 days since anyone else posted on the roof so I was working on the idea I might be suddenly alone facing an encounter designed for 4.

Not a problem, Phaedrus has a contingency in place for being found by authority figures. I'm somewhat happy I get a chance to do this, it means that a piece of my character development gets to be used. All I'm worried about right now is who this blue cloaked figure is and what he wants...being primarily mundane, I have few defenses against casters.

sdream
2012-04-22, 06:22 AM
Looking forward to an updater on Mal and Crystaleena, obviously when she next comes in range we'll update her on our progress as well (although unless something dire happens, I think she can finish her deliveries).

Selena's been involved in plenty of crimes since she has been back, but to her knowledge isn't actually wanted for any of them.

She doesn't have any spells or effects 4th level or higher that would leave auras for longer than a few seconds, however she may be discounting how rare wall running is, if anyone happened to see her use her signature move (usually she would already be on the roof when helping with a job, but it may have occurred).

Attract stays active for hours, but she generally does not worry about that as in her mind it is less coercive than a good diplomat and should be totally legal. (This is true, but unlikely to be viewed the same by others).

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-22, 07:05 AM
Pixieknot: That's fine. I'll add you to the IC post. :smallsmile:

sdream
2012-04-22, 09:22 AM
The 1 mile communication radius covers basically the whole city (at least if the map so far (http://nmonk.org/dnd/Cleyarna.jpg) has an accurate scale, and it probably has a fairly fuzzy border where communication slowly fades, rather than a precise cutoff.

So we probably can't use the border to pinpoint each other, but we do have a sense of where the other is (places my crystal has been count as places I have been for the purposes of teleportation).

PS - Nobody has mentioned the auras on the Archa yet.

especially Abjuration, Conjuration, and Enchantment

I can see strong Abjuration and Conjuration spells as part of a defensive array... but Enchantment?

3 Possibilities:
- Some sort of odd buff, like amped Aid, or "symbol of inspire loyalty"
- A shapeshifting stand-in, enchanted for further compliance
- The archa is a mind-controlled figurehead (who knows for how long)

Jodah
2012-04-24, 02:24 PM
A few things:

1) I will likely be scarce this week. I am burning the candle at both ends to get everything done IRL, game time will be difficult to find.

2) I am intentionally not going to read sdream's posts until the next time Sel and Phaedrus are in the same area again. This is because of how isolated Phaedrus is right now and I don't want to think I know something. I say this because if there is something I should know, but probably don't OoC please PM me so I am aware.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-24, 02:59 PM
Jodah: Noted and noted.
I have adjusted my last IC post to hide the conversation with Selena and so you do not need to read her information to get yours.

Once this conversation is done, you could give some vague ideas about Phaedrus's plans and then I'll NPC him if the game slows down too much. Don't worry, this is only a game after all.

sdream
2012-04-24, 03:15 PM
I'll adjust mine into spoilers as well.

Starbin
2012-04-24, 08:59 PM
PS - Nobody has mentioned the auras on the Archa yet.

especially Abjuration, Conjuration, and Enchantment

I can see strong Abjuration and Conjuration spells as part of a defensive array... but Enchantment?

3 Possibilities:
- Some sort of odd buff, like amped Aid, or "symbol of inspire loyalty"
- A shapeshifting stand-in, enchanted for further compliance
- The archa is a mind-controlled figurehead (who knows for how long)

Well, Cal doesn't have anyone to mention it to ... everyone seems to be gone, or not paying much attention. So where he was trying to find the invisible person, he ended up finding all the buffs on the Archa

As for enchantments being bad, I agree that very few arcane enchantments are 'good' for the subject (heroism is pretty much it from the basic set). However, clerics have a few that could be common, and make sense (aid, zone of truth, divine protection, and sign). So, we could still look for possible issues there, but realize there are some explanations available.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-25, 05:03 AM
Woops sorry guys, made a mistake with the auras. Altered it in the IC post- yes there is an enchantment spell, it's just not as strong, and there are other auras which are stronger.

Jodah
2012-04-27, 07:11 PM
I'm back. Hell week is over. I am glad to be able to check in and post again. Thanks for being patient.

sdream
2012-04-28, 11:18 AM
Sooo 'Lan...

Is there someplace we should go to catch plothooks or is this more a sandbox type thing where Mal and Fade go investigate their guild problems, I go check on my roommate, and Glanror and Cal pursue their own interests?

Aquarius, Fade and I have been diligent about jumping on possible plot hooks, and we're just being told to go away and mind our own business. How 'bought we get a quest giver up in here?

If you're not sure what we would all be interested in, just put the basics here, and everyone can come up with some reason for their character to get involved.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-28, 11:53 AM
Responding in PM.

To summarize: I'm sorry if you feel this way, I didn't want to be too railroad-y and there are things coming.
I have something to make you more interested in the general plot, as well as an upcoming quest, but atm you are all in different places etc.

But I will make sure that you have more to go from now on. Constructive criticism is welcome.

sdream
2012-04-28, 03:18 PM
I understand it's not an easy job herding cats, especially when you need to let them feel like they aren't being herded at all.

I was just surprised when the two leads and the deliveries didn't lead to anything obvious and I had no idea what to do next.

It's every player's job to find a reason for their character to work with the others, they just have to understand what events are important to hookup to.

It seems like most of the party is loosely (or tightly) rogue affiliated except Glanror. As a minor noble, he seems ideal to have political hijinks he may need some trusted roguish assistance with.

(And if he stays completely missing, he can easily become main questgiver NPC).

I'll let Fade check out the small body (probably the kid, sadly, what he's doing in the Costello is another question).

PS - I guess Cal is politically entangled as well, and could get missions from the elves via his half of a sending stone pair (MIC 184).

Starbin
2012-04-28, 04:01 PM
From my perspective, I keep getting lost in the spread out nature of our group. I'm never really sure who is in the same area, and when I finally get a handle on it, we split up again! I guess I went into the first part thinking we were there to stop an assassination attempt, but was a little surprised when our group decided to stage an attack ... Funny enough, Mal's arrow may have changed the entire encounter with the person on the roof (making it feel like a dead plotline). For Aquarius' part, I didn't really understand his purpose or plan, so that side trip just confused me (which is easily done). I'll try to be better about regular interaction, but I won't always have the luxury of whirlwind posting that some of the folks get into ... I just treat that as part of Cal's arrogance.

I'm just relaying personal observations that are automatically biased ... Cuz they're mine! I wasn't trying to judge anyone, or tell y'all how to play. I've got enough of a challenge trying to play my own!

Other than that, game on!

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-28, 04:24 PM
Ok, well you weren't the only one who was confused by Aquarius' plan- what was that by the way, the NPC got confused and left as a result, and yes Malaina's arrow did change what was happening. But with that out of the way, and hopefully the team getting back together, some of those problems may be mitigated. :smallsmile:

sdream
2012-04-28, 04:45 PM
Staging a fake assassination to ward of the real thing was definite thinking outside the box.

As for Cal's expedition, he uncovered that a leader of some of the scuvs works out of the same inn that one of the copies of the letter was sent to (savant's repose). Good lead followup.

It seemed like his followup was digging for more information and trying to get recruited as assistance, risky.

Starbin
2012-04-29, 05:47 AM
Staging a fake assassination to ward of the real thing was definite thinking outside the box.

As for Cal's expedition, he uncovered that a leader of some of the scuvs works out of the same inn that one of the copies of the letter was sent to (savant's repose). Good lead followup.

It seemed like his followup was digging for more information and trying to get recruited as assistance, risky.

A) I agree - staging a fake assassination was pretty bold ... give later actions (like jumping onto the roof while the edgy procession was going by), it could have been disasterous :smallsmile:

B) I think you mean Aquarius' expedition, not Cal's. Trailing the scuv's - good!

C) Convincing the scuvs that there was work with someone else, confusing (at least to me). But I figure that's just because I don't know A's motivations, so no worries there.

Again, I think most of my issues have risen due to my disorientation. That being said ... Lan, where are we all right now? I may have missed the explanation post, but given that our friends were taken into custody, how long has it been since that happened? Did anything else happen with the procession, or any additional hi-jinks with the auras? I'd like to think we didn't just sign them off for dead (even if it looks like that), but I'm not sure where we all are right now ...

Thanks!

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-29, 06:04 AM
It's been almost two hours since Selena and Phaedrus were 'arrested'. The procession stopped for a while and then continued quite hastily and cleared the streets in front of you after 30 mins.
It's up to you now. Cal and Glanror are at the bar for those 30 mins (streets blocked) but can then do what they like, or wait for the return of everyone else.
Malaina will have finished delivering the other two letters by now.
Aquarius had his meeting, but he would be done roughly 30 minutes after their arrest, giving him 1hour and a half to catch up.

sdream
2012-04-29, 10:48 AM
Since this seems to be mostly guild business, I'm going to follow Fade's lead on this, but I'll mention OOC:

Brother John may not appreciate an unexpected delivery (http://youtu.be/4lFz8sXmZRk).

You only get a few questions per week, so you'll want to make sure to select them carefully.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-29, 02:04 PM
Glanror has been struck down by the terrible plague of NPCism... The light draining from his eyes as he becomes a mindless automaton, serving a dark and shadowy master. :smalltongue:

sdream
2012-04-30, 10:09 PM
Ah well. At least Mal and Aquarius have posted recently.

Mal should be able to arrive (or at least communicate) at any time if her deliveries have wrapped up.

I can't think of a way for Aquarius to find us IC, but once Fade decides where we're dragging the wee corpse, he can come up with some reason to coincidentally be waiting there, so he and Mal can compare notes on the drunken savant.

Jodah
2012-05-01, 01:24 AM
Welp, I guess everyone gets to see Phaedrus' emotive side for a bit. The professional conman visage is shaken.

a'Lan, quick question: How are we doing level up? I know we aren't really even close to that at this point, but I am just curious. Are you keeping track, or are we looking more at when you feel it's a good time?

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-01, 09:32 AM
Hmmm. Depending on the enoucnters you face I'll award experience, but you keep track of it (So when you next do something I'll factor in the adventure so far.)

sdream
2012-05-01, 11:18 AM
@ Pixie - are you still planning on meeting everyone? Sounds like there will be plenty of time for you to get to the temple.

@ Jodah - are you sure you want to move ahead with casting the spell before you even talk to Ben's purported contact? It only works once per week.

@ Sgt. Cookie - Will we meet you at the temple? Perhaps you went to peruse their holy books, disappointed with the library.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-05-02, 02:28 PM
Yeah, that's probably a good IC reason for us to meet up.

Starbin
2012-05-03, 01:32 AM
@Jodah - was the "stay here" directed at just Cal or both he and Sel? Just for clarification, Cal didn't leave - he just turned to take up a guarding/watchful stance (basically to let you pick up the boy on your own :smalltongue:). Sel apparently headed to the temple.

As for scary-detection, Cal's got nothing except for Detect Magic (which probably won't net much in this instance).

Jodah
2012-05-03, 01:53 PM
Directed at Cal.

All I am looking to know is if it is the case - changes exactly what I say, exactly what I do, etc - so, I am not looking for a dispel, just knowledge. If you can't spare the spell, that is fine, but knowing if the Mr Blue Cloak is watching my every move would be nice to know. If I metagame, I am pretty sure it isn't the case, but in character I don't know - but I am sure I know it is possible.

sdream
2012-05-03, 02:16 PM
Sorry, detect magic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/detectMagic.htm) isn't detect scrying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/detectScrying.htm). And neither would protect you from a tail with a good hide score.

EDIT - Hmm I gave it more thought and looked around, and I was wrong. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#scrying

An invisible magical item will still show to detect magic, and the difference from a 4th level spell is:
- detect magic is much breifer, and narrow in focus (not 360), requires concentration, only reveals a divination aura (not particular spell or location of scryer).

Still, my advice stands.

Act like you want to act, I think the bluecloaks are busy trying to deal with a near revolution situation, and they couldn't care less about petty criminals taking care of their own right now.

pixieknot
2012-05-03, 05:24 PM
So sorry...

let me better explain my current system so this doesn't happen again...
I work at a school and so any thing with the tag "game" is blocked. I back doored this to be able to read posts by having posts sent to my email...then I can hit the public library to post when something has happened that I feel I can respond to...several problems with this; I don't see posts until the day after they've happened (occasionally more because of weekends) and also when reading a lot I sometimes miss things like Sunday's line letting me know that I was done with letters (sorry) that line is EXACTLY what I've been waiting for, but somehow hadn't seen...I must have assumed since I'd checked from my mother's on Sunday I didn't need to look at the email from that day...again, sorry for my negligence...another issue is I can't seem to get private messages emailed to me...

I do want to continue to play, and following is a brief agenda for what I do...now that I know I'm back in play I'll be heading to the library each day rather than skimming posts so late after they've been made...(however if you feel you'd rather I drop out I'll understand, just post that here...)


Malaina when finished with her deliveries makes a cautious path to Selena as she never stays away too long if Cyrstaline and Selena have separated (this assumes of course that over the time we've known each other this walkie-talkie system has been used occasionally) This being said I will unless other-wise advised say that I met Selena on route to the temple and will continue my IC posting tomorrow.

Thanks to all for the understanding, and sorry for the long RL post...

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-03, 05:54 PM
It's ok to have RL problems get in the way, and technology is a fickle mistress, so I understand and it's fine for you to stay in the game. If you want we can have a separate thread for you to catchup with delivering the letters so you learn more about the people involved etc, or we can skip ahead and say you posted them through letter boxes for example.

Also, post whenever you want, I will post in response to things that happen to your character, but if I don't get a post from you, it's unlikely that I will advance your story.

sdream
2012-05-04, 12:42 PM
Can't be too problematic, the temple's still here. :)

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-04, 01:45 PM
Well... as long as Aquarius has no plans to destroy the temple or kill all of the priests we should be fine. Or if he decided to wait 39 minutes and then start stabbing people... In which case illusions or parallel worlds will be called upon.

sdream
2012-05-04, 01:47 PM
The one place railroading is legitimate would be the temple of a god, in my book.

There could well be someone who just says:

"No. No, you do not."

(Although this particular god seems like he would go for more of the illusion trick just to mess with you, with everyone else seeing an illusion of you doing something embarrassing, then after you committed your "crime" and run off... no-one believes you and they think you've just gone nuts.)

pixieknot
2012-05-04, 03:23 PM
Well, I think that the post box plan might be best to get me back to some of the group, but this is sensitive stuff, so Malaina would get them into the hands of the person they were meant for and no one else. Maybe you could Spoil me some brief descriptions of the people I delivered to and if any wished for me to return for a response. If any wanted to respond I tell them I will return to them after chatting with Fade. I am with Selena at the temple. Crystalline has been returned to her.

Jodah
2012-05-05, 11:03 PM
So I am relatively new to the pbp scene (with this being the first one I was in that got off the ground). When these time gaps come up, I have been feeling awkward, what is proper etiquette here? Should I wait for a description of Aquarius' exploits thus far or go ahead and continue to advance into the future?

sdream
2012-05-05, 11:11 PM
I got the feeling it was Aquarius's job to detail his actions and wherebouts, and 'Lan did not seem to mind filling that back in whenever.

Unless you desperately need his help, just focus on your questions for the boy and we'll roll on regardless of what Aquarius is up to.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-06, 05:34 AM
Well two things. First of all we have Aquarius' time gap which I was hoping could be resolved in a single post like: 'I research spells in the library until I suddenly hear the voices of my friends.'
-This is unusual and wouldn't normally happen, but the game got a bit chronologically disjointed at the beginning.


Secondly, the four of you who are now in the temple have a 15 minute wait. At this point it's an opportunity to Role Play among yourselves, but if you have nothing to add, then just write something saying, 'Phaedrus anxiously awaits, hoping that John's magic will give them some answers.'
-Once everyone who is involved has posted something I know I'm not leaving anyone behind.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-05-06, 08:43 AM
That's all I was going to do Al, research spells.

If you want, for the sake of convenience, I could just roll in the OOC thread to determine if I learn any spells?

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-06, 09:05 AM
Yep, that's fine.
You can make 3 spell craft checks, at DC 20+ spell level, for spells you'd like to learn. (If you take 20 you only get one go instead).

sdream
2012-05-08, 08:57 PM
SC checks?
Fade questions?
Bueller?

pixieknot
2012-05-10, 03:06 PM
Guys, I'm so sorry, but I think I should bail from this at least for now...three times already this week I haven't had time to check out what's happening here, and I don't foresee an end to the crazy that keeps creeping up here and there...I hope that I'll get to hang out here soon, but it just isn't seeming to fly right now...

Sorry, and thanks for trying to help me make things work...

Hope I get to play with you all soon!

sdream
2012-05-10, 06:41 PM
It happens, nice playing with you!

sdream
2012-05-12, 05:28 PM
Is Lucian the name you would have used with us, or asked us to use? I can edit my post.

Jodah
2012-05-12, 10:35 PM
Sorry to see ya go Pixieknot. I would have liked to see what was going to happen with Mal.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-13, 04:41 AM
Yeah, sorry to hear you can't manage it anymore, but if your situation changes you will be welcome at my (virtual) table again.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-05-13, 09:14 AM
Is Lucian the name you would have used with us, or asked us to use? I can edit my post.

If anyone asks for Aquarius by anything other than name, tell them he's called Lucian.

Starbin
2012-05-16, 04:27 PM
For the spell, do we need to actually ask questions, or could we use terms like "Describe" to gather information? Also, making an intelligence check to try and remember whether the spot where we found the body looked like the murder scene Int-check: [roll0]

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-16, 04:45 PM
If you ask 'describe' you will get a description. He won't try and get out of your question.

Int check: There is a lot of blood on the floor and you can't remember seeing any signs that the boy was dragged there.

sdream
2012-05-17, 12:16 PM
The gang (what is left of it) is all here:

Fade
Cal
Seal (Selena)
Lucian (Aquarius)

Right now, Aquarius's lead on "Maria" the scuv agitator who may have received one of the copies of the letter, and our annoyance at "Maria" the boy's killer aren't really tied together, as I doubt Aquarius shared a detailed description and name with us all when Mal and He compared notes about bumping into each other at the Savant's Repose earlier.

Selena is interested in following up on this current plotline as she is hoping to head off citywide unrest in her hometown, and she is angry at someone wasting a young life.

As a frequent helper of several guildies, she should be familiar and accepted by the guild as ally even if she refuses to swear in to permanent membership.

sdream
2012-05-30, 08:22 AM
Serious questions here:
- IC - How well does Fade know and trust Theyva?
- IC - How much power does she have over sending him out of town?
- IC - Who would want Fade and friends out of town on a wild chase?
- IC - Who would send a crew to chase rumors of an artifact they knew NOTHING about?
- IC - Who would go on a mission for a person who refused to give them any info?

- OOC - We can come up with workable answers to all these if you care to specify that this mission is a legit part of the campaign, not just a distraction.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-30, 12:00 PM
1- He'll know of her as high up in the organisation, there is a suggestion that she's being groomed by Coursan for command.
2- Some: she's high up in the guild, and she is only asking him to gather information and then look for it if he can, since he's a library type/scribe he can't really refuse the first, but the second is fine.
3- That's up to you to decide.
4- She has only said she knows nothing more, why would she/they want it if they didn't know what it did?
5- Not you?

Sure work out your answers or ideas to the rest, and it is up to you whether you do the job, now or later, or not.

Starbin
2012-05-30, 02:36 PM
This feels like a case of player assumptions driving a bit of paranoia. It seems like just because the NPCs aren't acting the way we expect, we jump to conclusions about what they are hiding ... which may or may not be accurate. Everyone has a different level of expected NPC response, so I think we all tend to assume things when they act different than we expected. Maybe y'all are getting some good clues via PM; in that case, I'll be quiet.

As for this situation, I guess I'm not sure that 'Fade and Co' are all that important in the grand scheme of things ... I realize we're a bunch of 3rd lvl characters, but given that we aren't playing E6, I'm not sure that translates to a power block that must be removed from the city.

However, for the sake of group speculation, I'll take a swing at our current problem.

The thing that stood out to me was her approach - both who she asked for help (the old librarian); her manner (imperious ... 'don't lecture me ... just do it!'); and her twice-given insistance ("Give me a list of everyone involved). So first, I don't think Thevya sees sending Fade out as 'stretching resources,' ... she's just asking one old clerk to do research the item, and assemble a team to go get it. Heck, from her phrasing I don't think she even expects Fade to go ... just to hire some folks to retrieve it for him.

Second, she did the classic bait and switch to distract us from the details - "Don't ask questions, I told you everything! Hey, don't you work for me? What's with the lecture!" Suddenly, we're the bad guys who should know our place ... suspicious indeed!

Third, she asked for a list of folks helping out ... at least twice. Normally, guilds like this would be just as happy not having to pay anyone for thier efforts ... or at least as few people as possible. But she left it open ended - "Get me a list of everyone involved so we can make sure they all get paid." Might as well have thrown out the villanous "I will make sure you all get what's coming to you!" Add to that she said we could keep whatever we find ... WHAT? I would expect a standard guild to say something like "Flat rate for procurement of the item; 70-30 on whatever else you take." But take whatever you want AND make sure we know who was there so we can ensure you get paid more? Not bloody likely ...

Long story longer, here's my crazy supposition - Theyva is tired of being groomed for command and would like to be in charge now. She may or may not be involved with the attempt on the Archa, but regardless, this might be a good time to take advantage of the situation. She's nervous, not sleeping well, and tired (orchestrating an overthrow can be tiresome!) so she might need some insurance, in case she gets caught. She found reference to something that will help her get what she wants - maybe the Ice Heart gives immortality, maybe it gives the power of winter, maybe it creates diamonds, maybe it's a gift for some demonic power in exchange for gifts ... who knows?. So she picks a little-known contact to find out some more information (which might explain why she was perturbed about Fade's involvement with the authorities ... or maybe his involvement makes him a potential patsy ... I dunno). Regardless, if she can get a hold of this powerful artifact with just the help of the librarian that's pretty efficient, and probably a coup in and of itself.

Now, look at the her request for a full list of those involved ... 'for payment, of course.' That sounds like a list of people she needs to take care of after she has hands on the Heart. If it were me (and this was an actual plot, and not just Starbin thinking out loud) I'd use the list to find leverage points on all those folks ... so that when they returned, I could ensure their cooperation / silence - either bribe them, blackmail them or kill them.

But that's just some wild speculation. I'm sure there is nothing nefarious going on in the game originally entitled Political Shennanigans ... :smallbiggrin:

Jodah
2012-05-30, 04:08 PM
Starbin, can I quote that last bit?

a'Lan, the others do raise a good point - how out of the ordinary is the request for a list of people who helped? I mean, I can see it in a "good" light, or at least a better one (get them hooked on the gold from the guild and eventually they become members), but I would think procedure would be one of the things I am familiar with.

Also, what time do we have approximately in game?

Starbin
2012-05-30, 05:16 PM
Starbin, can I quote that last bit?

Quote away, if it helps ...

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-31, 05:19 AM
It is unusual, but when she's giving you free reign to bring people in then it wouldn't be crazy suspicious (although everyone at the table will be aware that 'payment' is not her primary concern).

And yeah, the rules are basically not to draw overt attention to the Guild or get them any powerful enemies. You are not an assassin's guild, nor a burglar's guild, nor a pick pockets guild (though can be involved in all three if necessary). The rules are more, guidelines. But she means don't go crazy and loot everything on an island, just cos she said you could keep what you find.

But Starbin's got the right idea: it could be paranoia, or there could be some other undercurrents going on. Your characters need to decide who to trust, what to do, who to kill.

sdream
2012-06-03, 08:02 AM
Seal waits for Fade to give more details about the mission to the others. He is after all, the one in charge of how much they do for the guild.

Starbin
2012-06-07, 06:28 PM
So where are we at with this? Dead, dying, or simply asleep at the keyboard?

Jodah
2012-06-08, 02:43 PM
I honestly don't know what is going on at this point. I accepted the mission but was never dismissed before my superior. I guess, I could write that I leave the room once dismissed, and relay things to you guys. It is also important, though it was never answered: what time do we have in game? This affects what I do and in what order.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-06-08, 05:17 PM
I'm very sorry, I was under the impression we were waiting on Phaedrus, having missed that post somehow, though I think I responded to the question in the spoiler. Apologies.

Time frame wise I think you ought to be directing your focus towards this goal, since she is quite senior, and will be miffed if you take months to do anything, but it isn't a panic oh Sh** THREE DAYS!!! or anything.

But yeah, it's up to you to go out and tell them how much you want to, and what to tell them etc, your impressions and decide what you're doing.

sdream
2012-06-18, 10:32 AM
Oh, in the genre of getting Maria in the bag, we can pick out a well known landmark in a quiet area nearby the savant's repose. Then I can park on a nearby roof (within 30' of the door she is most likely to use) and use attraction on her to steer her to choose to walk past that landmark where you guys can set up a good ambush.

You guys can carry crystalena and be parked on the other side of the building, so if she leaves that way, you can let me know to follow to a backup spot, and if something goes awry, we can tell the other what's up.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-06-18, 10:45 AM
@Starbin:

Three throws, three touch attacks, three contests. It's not the total that matters, it's the number of contests won a round, not the total score that matters.

Round 1: Two of Cal's rolls were higher than Aquarius', so Cal takes the round

Round 2: Two of Aquarius' rolls were higher than Cal's, so Aquarius takes the round.

Round 3: Again, Aquarius got two higher, so he takes the round.

Round 4: Aquarius, this time getting winning all three contests.


That make sense?

Starbin
2012-06-18, 10:53 AM
Fine and dandy ... 3 straight round of suckage! Cal loses and Aquarius moves on to the semi-finals. :smallsmile:

sdream
2012-06-18, 03:08 PM
So what do you guys think about Maria.

Fade seems to think she's a resource to control the scuvs.

I think she killed Ben and should be punished.

I would not mind killing Ben's killer (Seal's comfortable with death) but I don't want to risk killing the wrong person.

How can we interrogate her? Threaten to turn her into the police as a citizens arrest and demand justice for Ben's life? None of us are guild members so we don't officially have anything to lose, and if the guild is involved with her, they should have chosen a better patsy. (Or Ben had it coming).

Starbin
2012-06-18, 03:43 PM
Cal has no idea what Maria has or hasn't done. He is willing to work with the team, but given third-person descriptions of previous interactions with her, Cal doesn't have a real opinion on it.

This is partly because I (as a player) didn't really follow most of the interaction (got a bit confused) and lost situational awareness on it all. That being said, I'm guessing she's dirty on some level, but not sure what that means. I'd hazard a guess that she didn't do the killing herself, but might have tipped off the people she's working for about Ben ... she strikes me as more of a sell-out and would-be player, than an actual player.

My two cents!

sdream
2012-06-18, 04:27 PM
Ben gave her name and description as his killer. Only possible misinterpretation would be an evil twin or a doppleganger/disguise (not ruling those out though).

You two down with:

Faster Party member hangs out half a block behind inn's back door with Crystaleena while I go in and use Bluff (popping my stone to give +10) to be nonchalant as I search for Maria, then Bluff + Concentrate try to sneakily give her a compelling attraction to see the shrine to the firefighters of '03 in Cold Alley.

Other party member is half a block ahead with the rented mulecart, watching the guy in the back. If he sprints away from the inn, to run around the block and meet the slow cart a block towards the river, you start slowly driving towards the river.

If he sprints towards the inn, I messed up and Crystalena is begging you guys to rescue me.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-06-20, 11:05 AM
Oh and price for horse and cart to rent for a day (they won't rent hourly) is 1gp.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-06-21, 11:46 AM
Because I forgot to pick up my Cleric spell from the research at the temple, I am deciding that I want to take 20, for a grand total of 28 to the spellcraft check to learn a new cleric spell.

What I want to learn is the Command spell. From the PHB and is a level 1 cleric spell.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-06-21, 12:39 PM
Because I forgot to pick up my Cleric spell from the research at the temple, I am deciding that I want to take 20, for a grand total of 28 to the spellcraft check to learn a new cleric spell.

What I want to learn is the Command spell. From the PHB and is a level 1 cleric spell.

That's fine, but in future, pick your spell before a situation like this comes up. :smallsmile:

sdream
2012-06-21, 12:48 PM
I don't see how command could help, but lets not get too far ahead of ourselves. Everybody good with giving Aquarius another chance play sillyspy and looking for an opportunity to ambush her, but failing that, tailing her?

Starbin
2012-06-21, 12:51 PM
Rock on, Lucian the sell-sword!

Sgt. Cookie
2012-06-22, 08:09 AM
@Al: Thanks


@Starbin: He is a "Master of blemished steel, arcane might and divine favour", not a simple sell-sword.

Starbin
2012-06-25, 01:46 AM
@Lan - Are we going to wait for Jodah, or will you NPC Fade's answer to Aquarius?

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-06-25, 02:51 AM
The question was only asked on Friday so I'll allow that it was the weekend so he might not have had time. I'll give him a day and then take over (temporarily) so we can move along

Starbin
2012-06-25, 03:55 AM
I only asked, cuz I thought the player said he was out for a bit ...

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-06-25, 08:26 AM
Yeah, but that was on 16th, so that shouldn't be the issue (I hope...)

Jodah
2012-06-27, 10:37 PM
Edited my last reply, then realized it wouldn't mark as an updated thread, so I am updating this one...logic seems to have both worked and gone awry at some point.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-07-10, 04:15 AM
Since there is some confusion on what Aquarius is doing, I'll spell it out:

He is picking up a dagger, then going to the Savant's Repose. No hanging around for information, nothing.

sdream
2012-07-10, 10:28 AM
Don't mean to be pushy or whiny, after all if Fade is digging for info outside the library he may need backup.

Just felt the Maria situation is on a short clock, and last I knew Aquarius was planning on being our diplomat/bluff there.

Seal is going to post up and watch until at least Cal shows up.

Starbin
2012-07-23, 11:01 AM
So ... did I miss a post, or are y'all waiting on me?

sdream
2012-07-23, 11:20 AM
I think the GM and Fade are slowly discoursing before the GM handles our area.

Poke poke

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-07-23, 05:24 PM
I was waiting on Fade and Aquarius's convo since you're are chronologically ahead of them so they need to catch up, plus I thought they would be part of the kidnapping operation so probably necessary for them to have finished where they are. SO yeah: waiting on a slow conversation :smalltongue::smalltongue:

Jodah
2012-07-27, 03:18 PM
As this is honestly the first time I have had enough free time to even get on the site, let alone look at posts or whatnot, I regretfully must pull out of the campaign. Given how thing have unfolded, with me being a sort of hub in a couple of ways (the current quest, for example), feel free to NPC Phaedrus. I would be more that willing to explain his motives if you would like a'Lan, just PM me and ask - though I can't guarantee a quick response. I will probably pop in now and again to see how things are going and follow the story.

Sorry to leave you hanging like this guys, and sorry for taking so long even though I think it's been a little apparent I was fading (ha). I just couldn't admit it to myself that I didn't have time. Good luck, and again, my apologies.

And this is to see if I can roll anything decent when it doesn't matter: [roll0]

sdream
2012-07-27, 04:09 PM
And then there were three...

Aquarius, you still in? Looks like the floor is yours to declare what you do while "Fade" looks for info.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-07-27, 06:58 PM
ok, Jodah, thanks for giving us a farewell response then.

I leave it to Sgt Cookie to attempt to carry on where Fade left off on that tangent (since I expect looking for a dagger wasn't his sole motivation). Once that's done we can catch up with the others if you're all still up for it.

sdream
2012-08-09, 03:24 PM
Soooo, 10 days waiting on a response from Sgt. Cookie.

Do two players constitute a valid "all" who wish to continue?

Starbin
2012-08-09, 04:10 PM
Funny thing is that Sgt. Cookie is active on other threads ... maybe a PM from our esteemed GM?

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-08-09, 04:26 PM
I shall PM Sgt Cookie and remind him. I've been slightly distracted from this (new job) so was kind of just waiting for someone to post.

sdream
2012-08-20, 11:29 AM
Oh, really, I thought Aquarius was going to do something bluff related again with her. Assume she asks him if he had any ideas or wanted to do something.

I'll go in 12 real hours if I don't hear more.

Ok, making my move then.

Starbin
2012-08-27, 04:53 PM
I think we're waiting on Selena to react to the latest, right?

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-08-27, 05:14 PM
Yep, unless you want to head inside now (since Crystelena will have passed the info on).

Also see sig for the dates I will be away. Apologies, but don't worry I'll keep this going once I'm back :smallsmile:

sdream
2012-08-27, 05:22 PM
Oops must have missed it.

Starbin
2012-09-10, 08:35 PM
Initiative check: [roll0]

sdream
2012-09-10, 09:38 PM
I'm just holding action to cast control sound, which I will then concentrate upon, but sure

[roll0]

Starbin
2012-09-13, 10:54 AM
Good lord! 23 pts of damage to me would have put me down ... And I apparently became much more of a threat than Aquarius ... great! Oh, forgot that Cal has +1 for attack & dam vs humans (so +2 dam to G2).

Let's see, to determine what Maria hit me with:
KS(Arcana) - [roll0]
Spellcraft - [roll1]

EDIT - Any save for that spell, or did you make it for me?

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-09-13, 12:23 PM
It was energy ray (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyRay.htm) and so no save. Also, that means that Guard 2 is dead (having just taken into account Aquarius's previous fire damage).

Starbin
2012-09-13, 12:51 PM
Gotcha ... I'll post my next actions.

sdream
2012-09-13, 12:56 PM
Energy Ray electricity is great wand (ok dorje, whatever).

If she's not UMDing it this could be interesting even after you take the wand away. I'm regretting not nuking already, good luck dudes!

Sgt. Cookie
2012-09-13, 05:40 PM
Because I forgot, here's my attack roll with the wand (Assuming of course I was able to pick it up).

[roll0]

Starbin
2012-09-19, 09:45 AM
Who are we waiting for on this one? Aquarius?

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-09-19, 09:50 AM
Yep, I need Aquarius's action.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-09-19, 10:53 AM
Sorry. Internet got knocked out. Will post shortly.

Starbin
2012-09-22, 12:04 PM
Well there goes my guy ... Here's a Will save: [roll0]. Curious ... Does that little spell of hers cause an AOO?

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-09-22, 01:48 PM
Activating a spell trigger item is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. (According to the SRD)

sdream
2012-09-22, 02:17 PM
Edit oops this game is still 3.5. Still, the red mage should be able to patch you up.
n Pathfinder you don't die until at -con.

Also I'm pretty sure Aquarius should be using intimidate to force surrender in combat, not diplomacy, but maybe that changed since 3.5

Finally, I belive under the normal rules activating a wand is always at least a standard action. Making a wand like this very hard for one person to use.

I strongly disagree with that rule however. I think magic items should use exactly the same action as the spell they store.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-09-22, 02:23 PM
The -con rule is true, so one is dead, but the other is only bleeding out.

(I'm going to allow the diplomacy since that makes sense here)

And I didn't know that rule about UMD, I'll have a look.

Starbin
2012-09-24, 09:29 AM
Well thank you ... Caladeran will actually survive our first real fight! Whew!

sdream
2012-10-01, 11:26 AM
poke poke Sqt, question that lady, unless you would prefer to pass it to Seal.

sdream
2012-10-08, 03:55 PM
I plan to head there as well tonight, let the priests know that Brother John will want to be the first to hear her full confession, and will likely be wroth if she is taken or killed by another.

Also that if she wishes to leave she should be reminded that she will not see the next knife in the dark coming.

Then I intend to crash for the night and check with Brother John tomorrow sometime, make sure he knows the whole story (as he expressed interest in the death, and would know of Theyva's peers).

Starbin
2012-10-08, 04:34 PM
Well, the thing that worries me is that Thevya is part of the inner circle, right? And she's responsible for ordering the death of Benny as well as some unmentionable knowledge that's out there. Now we've drawn attention to ourselves AND reveiled that we are investigating this crime - through Brother Jon (who works for the guild), Maria originally (if she ratted out Aquarius' initial meeting with her), and in person when Fade reported both Benny's death and provided the details of our questioning.

That means Thevya has had enough time to cover her bases with anyone else out there (including the current Guild leader), determine what we know, and prep to take us out. Trusting more guild resources to help us out on this one might not be the smartest move.

Unless I'm confused and missing something ...

sdream
2012-10-08, 04:47 PM
Theyva is heavily using out of guild resources because she is trying to hide her activities from the guild.

Likewise she had the boy killed to keep him from reporting to other guildmates... which Brother John seemed to care about, and not appreciate.

As a well connected guild member, he is in the position to know who would be able to make good use of the secrets Theyva wanted silenced, where we are not.

Basically, by turning on her own, she alienated even tangential allies (us) and now our only interest is to spike her plans, not serve them, and hopefully her guildmates will learn of her perfidity and turn on her as well.

I doubt Theyva would know the depths of our involvement so soon, as she is counting on us taking off out of town for her tomorrow.

That said, returning Maria's bag to her with Crystalina in it might be a good idea, to make sure she doesn't foolishly run right back to her cutthroat boss who no doubt intends to silence her asap.

And we might still want to let Brother John know about the artifact, or just head after it ourselves, if we uncover any details from (now NPC) Fade that make us think it's worth our while.

If we don't turn the guild against her she may use it against us.

Starbin
2012-10-08, 05:09 PM
Woohoo! I love xp!

Now, if I could just learn from it :smallsmile:

sdream
2012-10-08, 06:00 PM
It's been a long time since chargen, but it appears we rolled hp (my total is one under what it would be for half+1)

As such, for lvl4 I gain [roll0]

21+5=26 (I designed a sturdy girl)

Breakdown:

Psion1 +4
Assumed Psion2 +~3
Assumed Psion3 +~2
Psion4 +3
12hp from 4 psion hd

8hp for con 14 (+2) times 4 hd

6hp from psionic body+up the walls+psicrystal affinity

26hp

I increase my raw int to 18, with my +1int circlet it is 19
As my int mod is now natively +4 I gain 7 new skill points (human)
My base will save increases to 4
My bab increases to 2
My power points from just being a psion increase to 17
As a lvl 4 psion with 19 effective int I get 8 bonus power points
I master two new lvl 2 psionic disciplines

I had 36 skill points from 6*4+6+6, this now increases to 43
I improved concentration, balance, climb, hide, sense motive, tumble, jump
(note that my able learner feat allows cross class skills cheaply, but still capped low)

New psionic disciplines:
Share pain (like shield other) - note that we decided this will not function on psicrystals to avoid a particularly efficient damage absorption method.
Energy Adaptation - specified - I can get ER of one type for 10min/level

Selena's sheet has been updated:
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=381385

Crystalena's hitpoints increase to 13 (always half mine) and she benefits from my increased saving throw and skill points... otherwise no cool new crystal tricks this level.


EDIT - Share pain is a 4 hour buff if we stay close. It can be a real lifesaver, when one person takes a ton of damage, and the others do not.

How do you guys wish to use it?

I could spend 6 points to set up a cycle between you two, so you both split any damage either receives...

I could tie you both to me, and use Vigor to offset damage you pass to me (but it would require concentration checks), but I would have to stay close.

What are your thoughts? It's not cheap, and it should be set up before hand, but it can be quite useful.

Starbin
2012-10-18, 10:25 AM
Sorry, I didn't see the edits on this post before.

First off, character advances
+4 HPs (rolled 3, total 21); +1 BAB (+4 total); +1 Int (16 Int now); +5 skill points (Spellcraft, KS: Arcana, KS: Nature, KS: Local, KS: Religion); +1 Fort/Will saves; Gained Armored Mage (Medium); Learned Ray of Enfeeblement; sheet updated here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=382854)

Second, the question about protection - do what makes the most sense and is the most efficient use of points. Might make sense to set it up for one or the other to recieve it, so you don't lose a huge chunk of points. I'm hoping that one character isn't completely hosed again. Of course, if I pay attention to my damage (I'm so used to 1st lvl characters) I probably would have taken here out well before I was 1hp away from death :smallsmile:

We could probably discuss some tactics, however, for standard reactions to expected situations (alpha strike the big bad ... area effect attacks for groups ... close in to take advantage of reach weapons and any touch buffs/heals needed ... etc).

sdream
2012-10-18, 10:59 AM
Second, the question about protection - do what makes the most sense and is the most efficient use of points.

The most effective use of points requires pretty significant buy-in from all of us.

1 - links snap if you ever go more than 35 feet away, so we would have to be careful not to charge too far ahead or behind the group.

2 - A full cycle loop, Seal -> Cal -> Aq -> Seal takes a little less than half of my whole daily allotment of power currently and only lasts 4 hours (this will improve as we improve in level)

I recommend starting with 6 points to tie the two gishes together, as you are likely to stay in close in melee, and this way, foes basically have to kill both to kill either. I would still have the freedom to run away and nuke at range (as I'm not involved in any loops).

Anyone prefer a different setup, or think you will probably run more than 35 feet from your buddy?

Starbin
2012-10-18, 11:58 AM
No worries from me ... Cal is designed to be a caster/archer protector - with his spiked chain and arcane channeling, he can deliver quite a bit of damage at range, while hitting those who come in with AOOs. At some point, I'll invest in combat Reflexes, too, to increase the opportunities to hit folks trying to close. However, he is not heavy on hps, nor does he have a killer AC (at least not yet), so he's somewhat vulnerable. That's why I like staying near the group (which only become problematic when they start hitting us with area effects.

Let's go with your option for now.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-10-18, 02:45 PM
Now that I finished the sheet for another game, I can level Aquarius up. Rollin HP:

[roll0]


At level 4, I get access to second level Arcane/Divine spells, yee! I get spell power, tougher DCs, YEE! An ability point YEE!

Since the spellbook is a voluntary self-nerf (Check (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232400) if you like. Red Mages normally know both spell lists) how many new spells should I get? 1 new spell in general, 1 2nd level Arcane and 1 2nd level Divine?

Also, I forget, were the feats allowed or not?

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-10-18, 02:47 PM
One of each seems reasonable.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-10-18, 02:59 PM
My Wizard spell will be Glitterdust, because it's Glitterdust, but I'm struggling as to what my Divine spell should be.

I don't need to pick up any of the following: calm emotions, cure moderate wounds, delay poison, gentle repose, remove blindness/deafness, remove disease and lesser restoration, because they're all on the Healer spell list, which I can convert my spells to spontaneously.

The Cleric spell is driving me nuts. I'm teetering between Dark Way and Infernal Wound. Dark Way as it's the poor man's wall of force, and Infernal Wound because it's Infernal Wound.

Starbin
2012-10-18, 03:13 PM
I got nuthin ... any buffs that look useful?

Sgt. Cookie
2012-10-22, 01:46 PM
Aquarius doesn't have the spells per day to be a dedicated buffer, sadly. I think I'll go with Dark Way.


Or at least, I would if Mythweavers were working.

sdream
2012-10-23, 08:51 AM
To be clear, after discussing with her teammates at the inn, Seal will spend 6 points helping each share the pain of the other.

This leaves her with 19 points for the rest of the day, and this anti-focus-fire protection should last 4 hours if not broken by a dispel or them moving too far apart.

Assuming it's around 8am when they are ready to go visit Fade then check on the temple that leaves it lasting until noon.


EDIT - Long rambling personal aside (mostly to Cal):

Those monkeys sure are fickle.

My wife and I watched Star-Trek Enterprise on Netflix a while back (it's really nice to be able to marathon whole series on demand), and the character of T'Pol left me with a burning desire to play an elf wizard or elan psion.

Allow me to explain.

Vulcans live a long time and have secret powers and knowledge (plus pointy ears) which makes them pretty clearly space elves.

Spock in the original series, and T'pol in this one seem to have adopted a ship full of short lived, crass, but endearing monkeys (humans), and are shepherding them around the galaxy.

I thought it would make for a very interesting character to look down upon the random human foibles of the other party members in a proprietary manner.

Starbin
2012-10-23, 09:21 AM
Yeah, Vulcans are somewhat space elvish, although only in settings where they are supposed to be arrogant - some genre's seem to treat elves a little more flighty and chaotic, and Vulcan's are OBVIOUSLY lawful!

I guess that would make Romulans like wood elves (much more passionate and wild), Klingons are Half-Orcs, Ferengi are goblins, Cardassians seem like hobgoblins, Gorn are lizard men, Lyrans & Kzintis might be your catfolk, Borg are golems? I dunno ... just blabbin'

Caladeran has taken to making some inner observations about humanity, but that's more to define his charisma as extreme arrogance, and an inability to deal with most humans in a constructive manner (vice seeing the shortcomings of humans as an impartial observer).

Starbin
2012-10-23, 09:49 AM
Not sure if any knowledge checks other than history would be appropriate. Here's a couple that might net some info ...
KS: Arcana - [roll0]
KS: Religion - [roll1]
KS: Local - [roll2]

Sgt. Cookie
2012-10-23, 09:53 AM
Since I finally got round to sorting out Aquarus' sheet.

Rolling for HP:

[roll0]


And my prepared spells for today:

Wizard:
Level 1:

Ray of enfeeblement
Backbiter
Orb of acid, lesser

Level 2:

Glitterdust

Cleric:
Level 1:

Deathwatch
Command
Summon monster 1

Level 2:

Dark way

sdream
2012-10-23, 11:23 AM
I had run out of questions, although that's a good one.

Who wants to break the news to Fade about Theyva's ownership of Maria, and her involvement in the scuv activity and Ben's murder?

I plan to tell him to watch his back, and suggest he break contact with her. I also would tell him we wouldn't bring the item back for Theyva, but would try and pick it up for another faction if he thinks it's a good idea.

Starbin
2012-10-23, 11:34 AM
Cal will figure that Aquarius will do it, since he was doing the interrogation ... but that's cuz he's an unsocial git.

sdream
2012-10-29, 09:31 AM
It looks like we are waiting on a response from Fade to the news his current boss betrayed his new runner acquaintance and may e betraying the guild.

Do you need anything more?

Starbin
2012-10-29, 11:40 AM
Wait ... did I just get put on Team NPC? What did I do?

Yeesh ... guy doesn't make small talk during darts and he gets shuffled off into the Red Shirt section ...

:smallwink:

Sgt. Cookie
2012-10-29, 11:46 AM
You neglected to give Calderan any skill in socal situations. In a political adventure. That's what you did. :smallwink:

sdream
2012-10-29, 12:03 PM
If he's so social skill-less he may also be so ungracious as to ignore your suggestion.

More realistically we should avoid splitting the party, so if we decide to pursue the artifact, we should all go, otherwise, we should all stay.

I think we can wait for Fade's response about Theyva and who we SHOULD work for (maybe Brother John) before deciding.

PS - I love the overlap between Brother John, and the psuedonymous "name" given by those who wish to go unnamed in various illicit enterprises:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution#Etymology_and_terminology

Starbin
2012-11-01, 09:57 AM
I'm okay with that. It seems to me that with only three active players, splitting up isn't a great idea. I understand that not being included in certain portions of the adventure may be my punishment for failing to invest in social skills. However, the character was accepted by the DM, so it stands to reason that there will be times that social skills take a backseat, and magic/martial/knowledge skills might be worthwhile.

That being said, everyone press on with whatever your character thinks and we'll see how it all plays out!

Starbin
2012-11-05, 12:37 PM
For the record, Cal didn't say anything about charming her - he was just throwing back the comment Aquarius had used. He was just mentioning that if we are not here to tattle, then the threat is moot ... so he's suggesting you give Fade / our other NPC the info so they can keep the threat viable.

No worries, though ...

Sgt. Cookie
2012-11-05, 12:44 PM
That makes sense. Fade is better off being the "threat keeper" then, as he is a part of the guild.

sdream
2012-11-06, 06:03 PM
I'm not sure how I/Seal turned into such a worrywart.

Must be the high int seeing all the ways things can go wrong and trying to prepare folks for them.

Seal/I will be behind you all the way, looking for anything that may jump out at us.

Starbin
2012-11-06, 06:11 PM
Since Aquarius seems pretty (over)confident, Caladeran will remain with Fade, collecting information.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-11-06, 06:59 PM
Aquarius meant exactly, word for word, what he said. Cal only hit one guard once. Cal was focused on Maria.

Starbin
2012-11-06, 07:17 PM
I'm not saying you're not right. Caladeran will see it differently ... basically, you might not have taken ANY guards down if you had been taking blows from that damn wand!

But neither here nor there ... I'm not miffed, just Cal :smallsmile:

sdream
2012-11-07, 05:49 PM
I hope Fade stays safe.

Would we be expecting him to gather any resources other than information?

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-11-07, 08:03 PM
I assumed you meant equipment/supplies for your expedition (so if you have any requirements post here now). And whilst you're away he'll gather information.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-11-08, 08:12 AM
A Wand of Lesser Vigor.

Aquarius can only do so much healing.

sdream
2012-11-08, 01:43 PM
Seal would rather Fade not go shopping alone right now, but I don't want to delay our progression any further.

If it is reasonable and safe, fade could pick up supplies, otherwise we could get them on the road. An island city shouldn't have a whole lot of wilderness so I don't suspect we would need much.

Starbin
2012-11-08, 05:08 PM
Yeah, I don't have anything in particular that Caladeran needs (I guess minor spell components and food). He doesn't have any money to buy something manjor :smallsmile:

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-11-08, 06:18 PM
If there's anything else you want to ask or do, say now, I am snowed under with stuff right now, but I'll have an update for you tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.

sdream
2012-11-12, 10:33 AM
Are you sure about Crystalena being with Maria?

I'm fine with that, just wanted to be sure you want that to be the case, not in a storeroom as in post 429.

Minor retconflict.

Also note that Crystaleena is sentient and speaks every language I do, so she would know what was going on.

If she was in a room with people, she would just have reported what they were up to, and will not start climbing around (she's playing dumb tool).

If she is in a quiet storeroom, she's gonna go exploring.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-11-12, 10:37 AM
It should have said 'in the pocket of maria's bag' rather than in the pocket of Maria :smallredface: but she was still in the pocket in the storeroom, now she's been reunited with Maria (sorry for lack of clarity).

And you don't recognise the room because you've never been to the storeroom before (I wasn't sure if Crystaleena had climbed out of the bag at any point though).

sdream
2012-11-12, 10:44 AM
So maria and a couple priests are being stored, eh.

Aquarius, our next steps are up to you, although I wouldn't mind just knocking... do they have a chime in the waiting room?