View Full Version : Sims 3... What neighbourhood?

Avilan the Grey
2012-03-24, 04:08 PM
Damn it... I am about to start a new Sims 3 game... and I cannot choose town! Has anyone tried the new one? (Starlight Shores or whatever it's called?)

JadedDM
2012-03-24, 06:41 PM
You can't choose any town or just that one specifically?

Driderman
2012-03-24, 06:49 PM
You can't choose any town or just that one specifically?

I think he means he's not sure *which* one to choose, not that he *can't* actually choose any :smallsmile:

Castaras
2012-03-24, 06:50 PM
Sunset Valley is brilliant if you have the edited version that was made that included all the expansion stuff (up to generations - was made before Showtime, not sure if it's been updated). Riverview I have a soft spot for. The city one (can't remember it's name, shipped with late night) is much too buggy to be playable particularly easily. Twinbrook is pretty sweet as well. Not played much in the ones shipped in Pets or Showtime. The Generations one was quite interesting as well.

Oh, and despite any reservations you might have about the bugginess and lack of content in it, Barnacle Bay is awesome because pirates. :smallbiggrin:

Avilan the Grey
2012-03-25, 07:43 AM
It is a little sad that Sunset Valley basically still is the best laid out town of all of them. It's like the creators just never learn.

Anyway I will try to convert the new town, and if that doesn't work I download the Sunset Valley save file with all updates in it.

Well EA has definitely done it again, without really good skills and the actual world builder, it is impossible to put even half the needed lots into the new town. It is even worse than Twinbrooks.

Mukora
2012-03-25, 02:08 PM
Personally, I never cared about the premade towns. Always made my own.

Avilan the Grey
2012-03-25, 03:39 PM
Personally, I never cared about the premade towns. Always made my own.

PRoblem with that tend to be three-fold (for me who don't do my own):

1. Bad Custom Content hiding in the city
2. Too large, and too many sims in it (if premade)
3. Random sims looks ridiculous and you have to spend ages using cheats to edit them and change their clown outfits to something you can stand.

Mukora
2012-03-25, 05:37 PM
The solution to all those problems, of course, is Awesomemod.

Avilan the Grey
2012-03-26, 05:56 AM
I just saw something very interesting on MTS: A guy is remaking Riverview completely (only using the roadmap) to make a medium size world with a good number of sims and no highrises.
I bookmarked it, I will definitely play it when it is done. In the meantime I think I will either try to change Sunset Valley myself, or play a good large map I found at Simrealtor: Storybrook something.

Avilan the Grey
2012-04-02, 01:43 PM
Okay, I found THIS
Sunset Valley 2.0, version 3 (http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/380928.page). So now I am playing Sunset Valley again. Plenty of empty lots to add Showtime stuff

Castaras
2012-04-03, 11:39 AM
The solution to all those problems, of course, is Awesomemod.

I prefer Nraas. Easier to pick and choose what you want, and, unless it's changed since I last checked it out, doesn't modify game files. Nraas you just dump into the mod folder and leave it, and if you remove Nraas your savegames still work perfectly.

And awesomemod wasn't working with steam. :smallfrown:

I just saw something very interesting on MTS: A guy is remaking Riverview completely (only using the roadmap) to make a medium size world with a good number of sims and no highrises.
I bookmarked it, I will definitely play it when it is done. In the meantime I think I will either try to change Sunset Valley myself, or play a good large map I found at Simrealtor: Storybrook something.

Got a link?

Avilan the Grey
2012-04-04, 01:27 AM
I prefer Nraas. Easier to pick and choose what you want, and, unless it's changed since I last checked it out, doesn't modify game files. Nraas you just dump into the mod folder and leave it, and if you remove Nraas your savegames still work perfectly.

And awesomemod wasn't working with steam. :smallfrown:

Got a link?

Nraas... is great. However I always play a game week without it first (to be sure the proper setup of celebrities and vampires come into play) and then I introduce it.

I also always change the marriage option to "prompt", since I don't want my towns full of double-names.

As for a link... No, because I was at work posting that. Also, I like the link to the new and improved Sunset Valley above more... (I modified it further, as I said it is very easy to add the Showtime lots to it, since you have plenty of space, and on top of that I downloaded some small apartment buildings (4-6 stories high and modern in design) and modernized other lots to get a sense of a growing, modern community that still have a mostly small-town feel.