PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Barbarian/Alchemist build?

deuxhero
2012-03-24, 04:14 PM
I saw pointed out in an Alchemist guide that because of the "spellcasting" mechanic of the Alchemist isn't actually spell casting (and it even gave rage as an example). It works thematically (Allegations berserkers took some form of drug

Alchemist has a lot of self buffs which is good for a melee combatant, and it has Lesser Restoration to cure your fatigue. Plus the DM may potentially allow you to make potions with alcoholic bases (Ala The Witcher), have Mutagens (huh, there is The Witcher again...) to boost your strength, and Vivisectionist means Sneak Attack, which is better for you than outdated bombs.

The bad however is that Pazio hates multiclassing, thus you have no prestige class support beyond Arcane Archer and Eldritch Knight, neither of which support your rage or anything else beyond BAB or spells. You also get MAD, but not in the good way for Barbarians.

Anyone try one or have any build suggestions?

Curious
2012-03-24, 04:33 PM
I saw pointed out in an Alchemist guide that because of the "spellcasting" mechanic of the Alchemist isn't actually spell casting (and it even gave rage as an example). It works thematically (Allegations berserkers took some form of drug

Alchemist has a lot of self buffs which is good for a melee combatant, and it has Lesser Restoration to cure your fatigue. Plus the DM may potentially allow you to make potions with alcoholic bases (Ala The Witcher), have Mutagens (huh, there is The Witcher again...) to boost your strength, and Vivisectionist means Sneak Attack, which is better for you than outdated bombs.

The bad however is that Pazio hates multiclassing, thus you have no prestige class support beyond Arcane Archer and Eldritch Knight, neither of which support your rage or anything else beyond BAB or spells. You also get MAD, but not in the good way for Barbarians.

Anyone try one or have any build suggestions?

Actually, you don't even have Arcane Archer or EK. The Alchemist doesn't have spellcasting or caster levels, so he can't qualify for either prestige class.

grarrrg
2012-03-24, 07:37 PM
Actually, you don't even have Arcane Archer or EK. The Alchemist doesn't have spellcasting or caster levels, so he can't qualify for either prestige class.

Well... yes and no.

Technically you are correct.

But for all intents and purposes an Alchemist IS a caster.

The extracts function only for him.
They only last 24 hours tops.
He has "extract" slots (instead of Spell Slots).
He can "learn" extracts the same way a Wizard does.
His level is considered his Caster level for the effects of his extracts (so he has an 'effective' caster level at worst).
etc...etc...etc...

And I think one of the Designers commented that "Alchemist = Wizard" as far as Extracts/Casting is concerned. Although I cannot find/link the reference right now.

I can easily see Alchemist qualify for EK entry, but for the purposes of a Barb/Alchemist I still wouldn't recommend it.

Ragechemist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/archetypes/paizo---alchemist-archetypes/ragechemist) would be a decent choice of archetype (although slightly risky). Definitely take the Iron Will feat.
It also stacks with Vivisectionist.

deuxhero
2012-03-24, 08:25 PM
Ragechemist sadly has nothing to do with the Rage ability, just giving a boost to mutagens and a chance to give a further penalty to intelligence.

grarrrg
2012-03-24, 10:40 PM
Ragechemist sadly has nothing to do with the Rage ability, just giving a boost to mutagens and a chance to give a further penalty to intelligence.

I know it has nothing to do with Rage.
But it does trade away a features you aren't likely to use (poison), and gives you an extra +2 Str when you use a Mutagen. Which maintains Barbarian flavor if nothing else.

jguy
2012-03-25, 11:13 AM
The cool thing is that you can use the Ragechemists mutagen ability for a +6 alchemical bonus to strength, then rage for a +4 bonus to rage. At level 2 you can have a +10 bonus to strength once or twice a day. I don't remember how many times you can use mutagen. If nothing else, this is a good build for mooks so they are still relevant later in the game

Bhaakon
2012-03-25, 08:04 PM
The way to do this, it seems to me, is to only take 2 levels of barbarian, then stack on 8 of ragechemist and 10 of Master Chymist. You're going to end up spending your feats mostly on extra rages, rage powers, and discoveries. You're giving up 5 caster levels, but then you're not really taking this build for the elixirs, are you? You're taking it so that you can crack open a dragon's skull with your bare hands.

Smiling-Jack
2012-03-26, 11:22 AM
The cool thing is that you can use the Ragechemists mutagen ability for a +6 alchemical bonus to strength, then rage for a +4 bonus to rage. At level 2 you can have a +10 bonus to strength once or twice a day. I don't remember how many times you can use mutagen. If nothing else, this is a good build for mooks so they are still relevant later in the game

No.

As long as you don't hit 6th level when the penalties on failed will saves become horrific (-4 int, -4 on will saves that stacks), which can literally take you out (as in, comatose for an hour after mutagen wears off) in four rounds if you're unlucky, about 7 if you invest in Iron will, improved Iron will (which is a high feat cost) and are kinda lucky. all that for a +2 to strength. No.

Friends don't let friends play Alcomatists.

deuxhero
2012-03-29, 03:14 PM
I just discovered something that can this a lot more worthwhile the Restless Hunger trait (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/religion-traits/restless-hunger-venkelvore).

While it is Goblin only, it RAW, lets you take a potion (which includes your "spells") during a charge and gain 10 feet to your movement speed for it. This doubtlessly wasn't RAI, but it boosts this build by an insane amount.