PDA

View Full Version : Comprehensive guide to Two-Weapon Fighting?

chaotician375
2012-03-24, 07:49 PM
Is there one out there. I'm playing a sword sage and am just starting (at level 6) to get into twf. I'm using 2 rapiers right now but that'll probobly change as time goes on. I'm mostly looking for good feats, most everything in the twf tree in phb looks lack luster after two-Weapon Fighting, and the defense feats, and all I've really found that's interesting is Over-sized TWF in complete adventurer. Any other thoughts.

skycycle blues
2012-03-24, 07:59 PM
You don't want Oversized TWF unless you don't really care about power level because you could do much more useful things with your feats than gain a minor bonus to attack in order to deal slightly more damage with your offhand. You're much better off using a light weapon in your off hand.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-03-24, 08:07 PM
You don't want Oversized TWF unless you don't really care about power level because you could do much more useful things with your feats than gain a minor bonus to attack in order to deal slightly more damage with your offhand. You're much better off using a light weapon in your off hand.

And since you're a swordsage that's evidently taking Weapon Finesse, you should be using two short swords for Shadow Blade anyway.

Azoth
2012-03-24, 08:24 PM
NEVER take two weapon defense line!

Aside twfing, itwfing, gtwfing there aren't many feats to improve it. It is best used with rogues, mele swift hunters, or other classes that can stack extra damage dice to each swing. DR will be your bane once it starts showing up. Use twin light weapons so anything you do take will apply to both weapons.

You will also not be able to full attack often leaving your offhand attacks useless, but we have ways to fix this. A level dip in Spirit Lion Totem barbarian for lovey pounce and whirling frenzy ACFs to full attack on a charge and gain an extra attack while raging. A level dip in Cloistered Cleric for Travel domain (traded for Travel Devotion free action move your land speed), Undeath Domain for extra turning feat(fuels travel devotion), and the all powerful Knowledge Devotion for lovely bonuses to hit and damage. Dervish, for Dervish Dance to full attack and move 5' between each one leaving enemies unable to full attack in return. Shadow hand teleportaion maneuvers opening up the infamous Telflamer Shadowlorld. Belt of Battle (use charges to gain extra actions). Haste spell.

Aside dips for extra damage dice there aren't many ways to increase damage. You can go the lackluster +1 flamin/acidic/frost/shock weapon, but any elemental resistances will negate your enchants in a heartbeat. If you have a good strength there is flay foe +1d6 for every attack after the first to hit the same target, deadly defense for +1d6 when fighting defensively, assassin's stance +2d6 sneak attack, shadow blade for dex to damage with shadow hand weapons, knowledge devotion for bonuses to hit and damage, valarous for double damage on a charge (situational), 3 level dip into swashbuckler for insightful strike (ironically when coupled with assassin's stance and daring outlaw will net you another 2d6 sneak attack dice for the cost of 3 levels and 1 feat you can have the sneak attack of a level 7 rogue) and that is all I can think of off the top of my head.

Red_Dog
2012-03-24, 09:24 PM

Ok, stop me if I am wrong but I think a use for OTWF is obvious => Barbarian

Barbarian can Pounce and use both weapons. OTWF lets you wield a normal sized weapon in second hand without penalties meaning you can apply power attack to it!

Just quick math things =>

THW => 2x PA or 3x on Leap Attack

One handed => 1x PA or 2x on Leap attack.

OTWF => 2 x (One Handed)=> 2x PA or 4x on Leap!

I mean a Barbarian with say 2-4 fighter levels can get everything very early.
Also you get full str, meaning no need to figure out how to dip exotic weapon master for the Uncanny blow...[effectively getting 2x Str]
=================================================>

That being said, if one is willing to accept extra -2 penalties on attacks than screw the feat ^^. An image of a Barbarian that pounces on someone with two long sword/battle axes is iconic and as always great ^^

**EDIT forgot to mention this**

Aside dips for extra damage dice there aren't many ways to increase damage.

Well there is always being an Elf and getting into Latern [or whats his name? from RotW] champion, drow hit-n-run fighter[NOTHING in RAW that stops you from this btw! ^^] and shadow blade from ToB. Its not easy to get here and needs a ton of feat including the dread exotic weapon proficiency with one of elves weapons that lets you treat it as short sword.

At the end however, dual wielding that, you rack up Tripple Dex bonus vs flat-footed foes...

There is always Psichic Rouge/Lurk + Swashbuckler 3 adding your Int to damage which no doubt will be high as Int gives you power points.

I can't think of more ways now however...

Azoth
2012-03-24, 09:31 PM
Throw on strong arm bracers and let him do it with two battle axes the size of him for more iconic oversized two weapon fighting in fantasy settings.

Red_Dog
2012-03-24, 09:44 PM
Throw on strong arm bracers and let him do it with two battle axes the size of him for more iconic oversized two weapon fighting in fantasy settings.

I said fantasy not anime = P Just jesting ^^. Heh... this would be great for a Half-Ogre with those bracers. Since size in d&d increases twice per category, I would imagine so do the weapons. ^^ Some true Conan the Bavarian action right there ^^

P.S. Missed spelled on purpose^^, also won't be the same as Half-Ogre is probably a better actor. ^^ hehe ^^

Azoth
2012-03-24, 10:44 PM
At the risk of mixing reality with d&d...I never did understand the big deal about only being able to use a light weapon in the offhand without OTWFing. In training and small expos I have used two full length katanas with no hinderance and actually use them better than when fighting single sword. My room mate has proven to be quite proffient in dual wielding viking broad swords and that is no small feat in an extended match...though he is much better sword and board or with a long spear...nothing like watching a guy get caught in a 15' lunge with a total of over 6' of reach tacked on to it.

Red_Dog
2012-03-24, 11:06 PM
Azoth=>

I guess it has to do with ambidexterity issues? Though in 3.5 everyone is TECHNICALLY ambidextrous as just because you have two weapons in both hands and only use one9any one of the two), there are no penalties just like you COULD bash with a shield, but you don't get attack penalties for dual wielding as long as you don't shield bash [as far as I understand]...

Tbh, I am not really sure myself of a RL reason ^^

Greyfeld85
2012-03-25, 04:39 AM
I don't understand why all this talk about full attacks is coming up. The guy is a Swordsage. Between Shadow Hand and Tiger Claw maneuvers, he should have zero problems with mobility and multiple attacks per round. And without the need to do silly things like dipping Barbarian.

nedz
2012-03-25, 11:26 AM
NEVER take two weapon defense line!

Improved Buckler Defense = TWD+ITWD, and thats before you enchant the buckler.