PDA

View Full Version : Repeat Preparation [3.5 Feat]

Lysander
2012-03-25, 03:14 AM
Here's a feat that makes wizards able to breeze through preparation in the mornings, at the cost of flexibility. And it frees you from needing your spellbook every day. What do you think?

Repeat Preparation

Prerequisite: Concentration 5 ranks

If you are preparing the same exact list of arcane spells you prepared yesterday, you can prepare those spells in five minutes instead of an hour. You can also prepare those spells without needing to consult your spellbook, but can only do so for a number of consecutive days equal to your INT modifier before your memory is too degraded and you require your book again. If you are changing your selection at all, even by a single cantrip, you require the full usual hour of preparation and your spellbook.

EDIT: Changed it with the buff from later in the thread.

The Mentalist
2012-03-25, 03:21 AM
I think it'd be better as a skill trick personally as I don't think it comes up in enough games that the Wizard needs a full hour to prep spells, (I mean with all the cut down on sleep options the Wizard can be prepping while everyone else is still dozing)

I like the concept, I just wouldn't spend a feat on it. (Though I would spend two skill points and a reasonably finite resource "just in case")

Lysander
2012-03-25, 03:29 AM
So you think it needs a buff? Hm, what if it also let you prepare those spells even without a spellbook? So if your spellbook is lost you'd still have magic, but you'd be limited to the last spell selection you chose. And if you ever didn't prepare one day you'd break the chain, and lose the ability to repeat prepare until you next prepare from a spellbook normally.

The Mentalist
2012-03-25, 03:32 AM
That sounds like it'd be worth a feat yes, maybe even with "you can only repeat this Int mod times before your memory is too degraded to remember the spells well enough to memorize without a spellbook" and "A wizard may take this as one of his bonus feats."

Lysander
2012-03-25, 03:41 AM
The INT mod thing is a good idea! Definitely keeps it balanced. It's nice for a wizard to be able to not need their spellbook for a few days at a time. Whether it's lost, or if you just don't feel like bringing your spellbook out.

Cieyrin
2012-03-26, 09:15 AM
So you think it needs a buff? Hm, what if it also let you prepare those spells even without a spellbook? So if your spellbook is lost you'd still have magic, but you'd be limited to the last spell selection you chose. And if you ever didn't prepare one day you'd break the chain, and lose the ability to repeat prepare until you next prepare from a spellbook normally.

That's what Spell Mastery and Uncanny Forethought are for, though, always having access to certain spells and then being able to switch in some spells as needed.

As for the proposed feat, I think if I was that paranoid about my spellbook, I'd invest in protections and redundancies instead.

Yitzi
2012-03-26, 10:10 AM
Not really likely to be used that often.

A more interesting idea, though, would be to raise the preparation time to a full day, and then if you're repeating the same spells as yesterday it's only 1 hour (no feat needed).