PDA

View Full Version : Dual-wielding power attack

Xeolan
2012-03-25, 12:15 PM
I was wonderring if it was possible to apply power attack to only one of your weapon.

I'm in the prossess of creating a fighter that uses a sword and a shield. I have the feat Furious Focus, which allows my first power attack each round to ignore the penality to attack roll. I took this feat to replace Shock Trooper on a charge. I can do great damage by shield bashing in a charge, and still keep all my attack bonus and AC. Of course Pounce with Shock Trooper is the best way to optimize damage, but in my current group it would be overkill, so i skipped it.

But on a full attack action, i was thinking that i could hit regularly with my sword, and then give a single powerful bash with power attack (I use Agile Shield Fighter instead of TWF, as i prefer giving a single powerful strike than multiple weak strike with my shield)

The single shield bash granted with Agile Shield Fighter would benefit from Furious Focus, thus grant bonus damage equal to my BAB without a penality to either my attack roll or my AC.

At first i thought this would allow my sword to be unaffected, but after reding the power attack feat rules, it says that the bonus and penality apply to ALL attacks in my round. But is there a way for me to apply these only to my shield?

If it is impossible to apply power attack to only one of my weapon, is there a way to sacrifice extra off-hand attacks to obtain a powerful single strike? without penality to attack roll

gallagher
2012-03-25, 12:45 PM
I was wonderring if it was possible to apply power attack to only one of your weapon.

I'm in the prossess of creating a fighter that uses a sword and a shield. I have the feat Furious Focus, which allows my first power attack each round to ignore the penality to attack roll. I took this feat to replace Shock Trooper on a charge. I can do great damage by shield bashing in a charge, and still keep all my attack bonus and AC. Of course Pounce with Shock Trooper is the best way to optimize damage, but in my current group it would be overkill, so i skipped it.

But on a full attack action, i was thinking that i could hit regularly with my sword, and then give a single powerful bash with power attack (I use Agile Shield Fighter instead of TWF, as i prefer giving a single powerful strike than multiple weak strike with my shield)

The single shield bash granted with Agile Shield Fighter would benefit from Furious Focus, thus grant bonus damage equal to my BAB without a penality to either my attack roll or my AC.

At first i thought this would allow my sword to be unaffected, but after reding the power attack feat rules, it says that the bonus and penality apply to ALL attacks in my round. But is there a way for me to apply these only to my shield?

If it is impossible to apply power attack to only one of my weapon, is there a way to sacrifice extra off-hand attacks to obtain a powerful single strike? without penality to attack roll
as far as i know, the only possibility to give you close to anything what you want is an ACF for monk called Decisive Strike. Full round action, -2 penalty but your damage is doubled for all attacks this round, so your AoOs are also double damage

Khedrac
2012-03-25, 12:55 PM
For Power Attack the simple answer is "No".

Power attack must be declared before your first attack in your turn and affects all your attacks (even those that don't qualify for the damage bonus) including any Attacks of Opportunity until the start of your next turn.

Xeolan
2012-03-25, 01:20 PM
Hm... i guess all there is left to do is ''craft'' my own feat. As long as it's balanced and not overpowered, my DM is quite open.

It could be a feat similar to Improved TWF, but instead of granting additionnal attacks, it would increase damage of my first attack, and would only work for off-hand shield bash attacks.

As you said, it could double damage, with a -2 penality that would be reduced with higher lvl.

gallagher
2012-03-25, 01:33 PM
Hm... i guess all there is left to do is ''craft'' my own feat. As long as it's balanced and not overpowered, my DM is quite open.

It could be a feat similar to Improved TWF, but instead of granting additionnal attacks, it would increase damage of my first attack, and would only work for off-hand shield bash attacks.

As you said, it could double damage, with a -2 penality that would be reduced with higher lvl.

well the additional off hand shield bash attacks are additional attacks, right? your main hand is your regular attacks granted to you as part of a full round action.

unless you are saying that you are, instead of taking a feat that is granting you extra attacks, that you are power attacking for just some, if any, of your attacks? in that case i would suggest making a feat that requires power attack as a prerequisite that allows you to choose what attacks get PA bonuses.