PDA

View Full Version : Genuine Lycanthropy

Mandrake
2012-03-25, 01:20 PM
In my humble opinion, 4e did bad for Lycanthropy by removing it's infectiveness. I know that Moon Frenzy in the final stage can be used as a surrogate, but that's not what I'm after.

So do you know any made rules for contracting Lycantrophy, spreading the disease and stuff like that? If not, how would you solve it? Would you make it special and co-exist with the current Lycanthropy rules? Also, how do you think it would be accepted by the players (beginners and advanced ones as well) and would it be a good idea?
Thanks!

DeltaEmil
2012-03-25, 06:20 PM
Just make it that these diseases have a stage 4 where you fall into a coma (being helpless) until the next full moon, and are then transformed as a werecreature under the gm's control if the disease hasn't been healed by then if you want there to be disease-spread werethings. Alternatively, have the character actually now attack everything in their path and leave the party so that it transforms into a werething.

NPCs don't roll checks, they become werewolves/rats/bears/whatever if the gm decides so.

The players will fear the lycanthropes bite because they'll lose their characters permanently if not cured before the next baleful full moon, but still have a chance to save their characters before it's too late.

If players don't want to start a new character and the gm is okay with it, have their characters become shifters or druids with a heavy emphasis on beast powers.

MeeposFire
2012-03-25, 07:45 PM
YOu could also make any player who contracts lycanthrope to pick up the pack outcast theme's at will shifting power and the utility powers dealing with the changes. If you want to make it cost the player have those powers replace same level utilities until they remove the affliction (and have the at will utility to shift replace the level 2 utility).

Vknight
2012-03-26, 05:11 AM
In my humble opinion, 4e did bad for Lycanthropy by removing it's infectiveness. I know that Moon Frenzy in the final stage can be used as a surrogate, but that's not what I'm after.

So do you know any made rules for contracting Lycantrophy, spreading the disease and stuff like that? If not, how would you solve it? Would you make it special and co-exist with the current Lycanthropy rules? Also, how do you think it would be accepted by the players (beginners and advanced ones as well) and would it be a good idea?
Thanks!

Except Lycanthropy can be anything from Shamans taking on the form of animals.
To curses that change you.
To worshipers of devils/demons changing into wolf creatures.
To people separating there animal soul from there body at night...
So 4e Lycanthropy is one type just not the type your average person is used to. Which is sad because its the most recent to be created

Haberdashery
2012-03-26, 12:25 PM
Actually there is a more fitting werewolf lycanthropy in the Book of Vile Darkness. It's a curse, and the final stage has you turn into a werewolf under the DM's control on the nights of the full moon.

Mandrake
2012-03-26, 12:54 PM
Thanks, all. I didn't know there was a Book of Vile Darkness for 4e.

I just wanted to point out that, now, Lycanthropes don't change in the full moon time, that their hybrid forms are their natural forms, that a player must pick options in order to fluff up a werewolf instead of remaining the same, only changing when he changes (although I don't want to use it as their character option, but as a thing to fear or a quest hook or something like that).

Anyway, thanks again for your help.