PDA

View Full Version : Mindrape DFA!

Zombulian
2012-03-25, 05:42 PM
Hey guys, I was working on a character concept recently of doing a Mindcontrol/Fear-Casting DFA. I would focus on abusing the Charm invocation as well as some vile feats from worshiping an Elder Evil. I thought it would be cool to go into Mindbender and Dread Witch. Dread Witch a bit later I suppose because it might be a bit harder to qualify for considering I have no idea how to get Scare as an SLA, although I know Cause Fear can be attained through Fiendish Heritage feats.
I thought it would be cool to be able to add the Fear descriptor to my Humanoid Shape ability so when I turn into a Constrictor Naga to intimidate some fools I also get some special scaring abilities added just for morphing :smallbiggrin:.

Anyone have any good ideas for how to go about builds/feats? I already know I want to go for Insane Defiance as one of my Vile feats and maybe Dark Speech for more fear stuff. Any better ways to go about what I'm trying for? (I mean this more in the part besides DFA, I'm doing that no matter what :smalltongue:)

Snowbluff
2012-03-25, 06:09 PM
IIRC there is a DFA Invocation that casts Geas. Due to a silly wording of how Invocations work, it's a Standard action instead of 10 min. and has no Save.

Zombulian
2012-03-25, 06:13 PM
IIRC there is a DFA Invocation that casts Geas. Due to a silly wording of how Invocations work, it's a Standard action instead of 10 min. and has no Save.

Oh yes I heard about that! Baleful Geas is a Greater invo isn't it? Hehe...
ION: I discovered that the Charlatan PRC has Scare as an SLA!

Snowbluff
2012-03-25, 06:28 PM
Oh yes I heard about that! Baleful Geas is a Greater invo isn't it? Hehe...
ION: I discovered that the Charlatan PRC has Scare as an SLA!

Looked up Charlatan. This is hilarious! :smallbiggrin:
Glitterdust isn't too shabby either.

As for DFA, I'd say learn the rules for PrCs for Invocation levels. I believe your Breath weapon is based on your invocation level, and you have less that Warlock (who effectively become mini-Artificers) to look forward too. I think Complete Arcane has a section on it. On page 18 under "WARLOCKS AND PRESTIGE CLASSES". Essentially you want a PrC that only requires Caster Levels with "Caster Level Gained" or similar instead of "Spells per Day".

Zombulian
2012-03-25, 06:48 PM
Dragon Magic has a clause on pg. 24 about PrC's for DFA's, and they work basically the same way that Warlocks do for the addition of Breath Weapon and Invocations.
I was thinking that the Sickening Breath + Charm combo could be pretty good. Also, casting Charm on yourself, then you redirect it at someone else with Insane Defiance and they get a -4 on the save!
Edit: Oooh and if I'm playing a Beguiler (which I am :smalltongue:) then when I see an invisible person with my true-seeing, I can glitterdust em so my friends can see em too!

Zombulian
2012-03-26, 08:22 AM
Shameful bump

Snowbluff
2012-03-26, 08:46 AM
Dragon Magic has a clause on pg. 24 about PrC's for DFA's, and they work basically the same way that Warlocks do for the addition of Breath Weapon and Invocations.
I was thinking that the Sickening Breath + Charm combo could be pretty good. Also, casting Charm on yourself, then you redirect it at someone else with Insane Defiance and they get a -4 on the save!
Edit: Oooh and if I'm playing a Beguiler (which I am :smalltongue:) then when I see an invisible person with my true-seeing, I can glitterdust em so my friends can see em too!

A Beguiler/DFA/EldritchTheurge might serve you well. Remember, theurgy is not a trap if you're stepping up a Tier.

Igneel
2012-03-26, 03:02 PM

Be careful with this, as a majority of Dm's I've played DFA's in the past ruled otherwise saying that it duplicates the 10-minute casting time. Silly/stupid yeah I know, but then thats how some Dm are.

Other things:
-Combat Charm feat in Dragon Compendium requires a Wis 13, and it denies the +5 save bonus to targets during combat when your allies threaten it.
-Charming feat in Dragon Compendium requires Cha 13 and Negotiator feat, when you make a Cha check to exert control over a target you cast a mind-affecting spell on you gain a +3 to convince them to do something they normally wouldn't do.

Zombulian
2012-03-26, 11:57 PM
A Beguiler/DFA/EldritchTheurge might serve you well. Remember, theurgy is not a trap if you're stepping up a Tier.

I'm not sure if it was coincidence that you recommended that, or if you thought I was playing a Beguiler CLASS instead of the Beguiler race.

Snowbluff
2012-03-27, 12:21 AM
I'm not sure if it was coincidence that you recommended that, or if you thought I was playing a Beguiler CLASS instead of the Beguiler race.

A little bit of both. You know, Beguilers (the class) can learn Mindrape (the spell) with their Advanced Learning. :smallbiggrin:

deuxhero
2012-03-27, 12:22 AM
The race is obscure outside of sharing a name with the class and the class is well loved as fun and balanced and the one trick you described (True seeing+glitterdust) is something they can do. I forgot about the race before you mentioned that.