PDA

View Full Version : Buckler Axe and Natural Weapon interaction

dextercorvia
2012-03-25, 10:19 PM
Would a Dwarven Buckler Axe interfere with making a Claw attack?

Yorrin
2012-03-25, 10:25 PM
I don't see any reason why it would. You should be fine.

dextercorvia
2012-03-25, 10:28 PM
I hope so. It doesn't occupy the hand. I just wanted to double check.

Keld Denar
2012-03-25, 11:41 PM
A creature can't normally attack with a claw if it is wielding a shield. Not terribly sure about bucklers, but shields generally mess with use of the hand. I think a safe rule of thumb would be that if you can still wield a weapon, than you can attack with your natural weapon. Armor Spikes, for example, don't interfere with wielding a longsword, so they wouldn't interfere with a claw. You can't wield a longsword in the same hand as a light or heavy shield, so you can't use a claw attack with that hand. You could wield a buckler and a longsword in the same, so that would work (with penalties IIRC). I don't have the rules in front of me for Axebucklers, though, but you should compare them with that test.

Could you attack with a longsword in one hand, a shortsword in the other, and an Axebuckler, all in the same round?

dextercorvia
2012-03-26, 12:50 AM
Could you attack with a longsword in one hand, a shortsword in the other, and an Axebuckler, all in the same round?

I'm not sure. It doesn't specify. Very rarely do the designers envision using 3 or more weapons as part of an attack routine. However, it says it can be used as an off-hand weapon, without specifying that the main hand has to be the other one. At the very least, you ought to be able to wield a THW, with the buckler axe as an off hand attack.

I'm looking for a viable replacement for a mouth pick weapon on a build that uses multiple natural weapons.

Coidzor
2012-03-26, 12:54 AM
Yes. You could attack with all 3. Iterative attacks and TWFing don't place any limitation on what weapons you can use, really.

Elric VIII
2012-03-26, 01:30 AM
A creature can't normally attack with a claw if it is wielding a shield. Not terribly sure about bucklers, but shields generally mess with use of the hand. I think a safe rule of thumb would be that if you can still wield a weapon, than you can attack with your natural weapon. Armor Spikes, for example, don't interfere with wielding a longsword, so they wouldn't interfere with a claw. You can't wield a longsword in the same hand as a light or heavy shield, so you can't use a claw attack with that hand. You could wield a buckler and a longsword in the same, so that would work (with penalties IIRC). I don't have the rules in front of me for Axebucklers, though, but you should compare them with that test.

Wielding a weapon in the same hand as a normal buckler confers a -1 penalty on attacks with that weapon (including THF). Bucklers also, IIRC, do not interfere with natural attacks (although the penalty still applies to claws/frontal appendages, by RAW).

Also, you can attack with any number of weapons in a round, assuming you can wield them all (not necessarily at the same time, thanks to Quickdraw), limited by your total attacks per round. You cannot, however, use them to qualify for Multiweapon Fighting. Note: Armor Spikes specifically mention they do not work if you have already attacked with a main-hand and off-hand weapon, so those cannot be used as part of your iteratives (although this is most likely a measure to limit you to not receiving more attacks than a normal TWF character, so it's resonable to ask the DM to alter this a bit).