PDA

View Full Version : Free RPG Day 2012 - Saturday, June 16 2012

KuReshtin
2012-03-26, 08:10 AM
It's getting to that time of the year again.

Well, actually it's about two and a half months away, but i just got the invite to my local gaming shop, and figured I'd spread the word.

FREE RPG Day 2012 will happen on Saturday, 16th June, 2012

Check with your local gaming shop if they've signed up, and if they haven't, demand to know why not. They can still sign up, which means you could get free stuff.

If you don't know where your nearest participating gaming shop is, you can go to the Free RPG Day website (http://freerpgday.com/) and look for your post code/zip code/town/city and it will list the nearest participating stores.

My local gaming shop will organise a whole weekend event with loads of gaming. Last year was a great sucess, and hopefully, this year will be good as well.

Fredaintdead
2012-03-26, 08:19 AM
Completely unrelated, but you just made me aware that my birthday is on a Sunday. Thanks! :smallbiggrin:

*wonders if there's one near home*

The map thing they have doesn't seem to work so well for me... seems to have problems finding countries that aren't the US.

Mercenary Pen
2012-03-26, 02:52 PM
The map thing they have doesn't seem to work so well for me... seems to have problems finding countries that aren't the US.

Yeah, I just had the same problem. I've sent an email to their contact link about it...

Edit: Just heard back and apparently their UK partner hasn't yet sent the list of participating UK stores, and so they haven't yet been added in...

KuReshtin
2012-03-26, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I just had the same problem. I've sent an email to their contact link about it...

Edit: Just heard back and apparently their UK partner hasn't yet sent the list of participating UK stores, and so they haven't yet been added in...

Sounds logical. My local game shop just heard back from them today, saying they'd been included in the FRPGD thing, so it might take a while for them to get the updates done.

Still, if you have a local gaming shop, you can still go there and ask if they're applying for it, or if they're going to..
Or maybe try to convince them to apply..

Mercenary Pen
2012-03-26, 05:16 PM
Sounds logical. My local game shop just heard back from them today, saying they'd been included in the FRPGD thing, so it might take a while for them to get the updates done.

Still, if you have a local gaming shop, you can still go there and ask if they're applying for it, or if they're going to..
Or maybe try to convince them to apply..

Unfortunately I don't think Milton Keynes has any dedicated gaming stores... I ended up going across to Oxford last Free RPG Day, simply because there weren't any participating stores I could get to quicker (there may have been one or two stores closer than Oxford as the crow flies, but public transport being what it is...)

Totally Guy
2012-03-27, 02:38 AM
Unfortunately I don't think Milton Keynes has any dedicated gaming stores...

I was in Milton Keynes a few weeks back and although I didn't see any game stores I met people that were members of a fairly significant RPG club there. A few of them post on a site called UK Roleplayers.

Flickerdart
2012-03-27, 01:14 PM
I wonder if WotC will be giving out 5e stuff...

Roxxy
2012-03-27, 01:24 PM
I wish I could participate, but I cannot leave my school.

Pyromancer999
2012-03-29, 02:32 PM
I wish I could participate, but I cannot leave my school.

I won't be at school, which lowers my odds at participating, oddly enough :smalltongue:

That said, what the heck does the site mean by pieces per box?

KuReshtin
2012-03-29, 05:47 PM
That said, what the heck does the site mean by pieces per box?

Each participating shop gets at least one box of stuff. They can, if they want, or if they think they'll get a lot of customers that shows up for the event, order more than one box, though.
'Pieces per box' is how many of each copy of something is in each box.
So, for instance, the WotC free stuff will be 15 copies in each box that the store orders.
However, there will only be one Dice Tower in each box.

So, if there's something in the list of stuff that you really fancy having, you better be ready to show up at the gaming store's door step early in the morning. Or at least check with them beforehand how they intend to distribute things amongst their clientele.

Pyromancer999
2012-03-29, 06:10 PM
Each participating shop gets at least one box of stuff. They can, if they want, or if they think they'll get a lot of customers that shows up for the event, order more than one box, though.
'Pieces per box' is how many of each copy of something is in each box.
So, for instance, the WotC free stuff will be 15 copies in each box that the store orders.
However, there will only be one Dice Tower in each box.

So, if there's something in the list of stuff that you really fancy having, you better be ready to show up at the gaming store's door step early in the morning. Or at least check with them beforehand how they intend to distribute things amongst their clientele.

Ah, I see. Too bad I won't be able to participate. The nearest hobby shop is pretty far away from where I live. And I didn't even know that the closer one existed until I looked it up on the retail locator on the site. Stuff like hobby shops are so rare in the area I grew up in, that until I went to college, I thought they had either died out or were myths. No kidding.

However, that said. if there's D&D Next stuff to be handed out, I will walk all night to the nearest one to obtain it.

Nai_Calus
2012-03-30, 07:18 AM
Looks like so far nobody closer than Cincinnati is doing it, which is a good 1 1/2 hours away. Mind you, it's an easy drive and there's cool stuff up there, but last year we had someone here in Louisville. Alas.

Roxxy
2012-04-02, 11:35 AM
I won't be at school, which lowers my odds at participating, oddly enough :smalltongue:I live on a closed campus school, so I have to gain permission to leave campus. This is not an event I would be able to gain permission for. That pretty much eliminates my chances of participating.

KuReshtin
2012-04-09, 08:16 AM
Quick update for the US playgrounders..
The store locator has been updated for the US, so you can see if your local gaming shop has signed up for Free RPG Day.

Mauve Shirt
2012-04-09, 08:20 AM
Is this a free rocket propelled grenade, or a free ridiculously photogenic guy?

Mercenary Pen
2012-04-09, 08:29 AM
Is this a free rocket propelled grenade, or a free ridiculously photogenic guy?

Its a free Radioactive Plasma Gun...:smallamused:

DropsonExistanc
2012-04-09, 12:51 PM
I would bet money that Fantasy Flight will be offering a quickstart of Only War (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=201&enmi=Only War).

Last year we used the Black Crusade quickstarter for a store campaign filler, and the year before that a volunteer ran the Deathwatch one.

The playerbase in our area seems to be big but reclusive, and our store space isn't that great for sectioning off quiet areas for RPG playing. I'm hoping we can get something going this year though.

KuReshtin
2012-04-11, 04:52 PM
I would bet money that Fantasy Flight will be offering a quickstart of Only War (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=201&enmi=Only War).

And you would be correct.
It was announced on the Free RPG Day facebook page today that the Fantasy Flight offering will be a quick start of WH40K Only War.

Cristo Meyers
2012-04-11, 07:10 PM
Heck, FRPGD is already paying off for me. Not only is it really the only excuse I ever have to get out to Games Plus (one of the last major gaming stores in Chicagoland), but checking to make sure that they were participating revealed a new gaming store...and it's closer.

That's almost enough to balance out the fact that my GW store closed down...

DropsonExistanc
2012-04-11, 09:48 PM
I thought all the Chicagonian gamers were going to be moving to Greater Vancouver to justify how many game stores we have?

Cristo Meyers
2012-04-12, 10:10 PM
It's possible. We are a migratory species...

Pyromancer999
2012-04-13, 02:23 PM
Anyone know what WoTC is doing?

KuReshtin
2012-04-22, 04:50 PM
Anyone know what WoTC is doing?

Nothing announced for WotC as of yet.

KuReshtin
2012-05-05, 03:43 PM
WotC item for the Free RPG Day has been announced as:

D&D 4E Adventure, "Dead in the Eye"

Also, the participating store locator has been recently updated on their webpage as well. Now includs stores outside of the USA.

KuReshtin
2012-05-21, 07:57 AM
ok, so this is a bump-post, but I also need a bit of help.

My local gaming shop has, for the second year running, decided to make the Free RPG Day into a 'Free RPG Weekend' event, and I volunteered to run a session of Serenity.

I'm just not sure what I will run as a setting and what the characters can do.

So I need some advice and suggestions on what could make a good Serenity episode. there is a time restriction of about 4-5 hours, so it can't be too elaborate, but it'd be nice to be able to get something together.

Tyndmyr
2012-05-21, 11:53 AM
Someone remind me, I hope to release the free alpha test of White Rain rpg then...=)

Edit: Also, Serenity? need to pull off a job, on account of not having money. Complications arise.

KuReshtin
2012-06-08, 06:01 AM
Just over a week away from Free RPG Day, folks.

Time to look up your local gaming shop to see if they're participating.

Surfing HalfOrc
2012-06-09, 05:43 AM
And this is the only thing I don't like about being an expat: No Free Swag on Free RPG Day...:smallfrown:

Still, avoiding the endless political commercials ALMOST makes up for it!:smallbiggrin:

Sheogorath
2012-06-09, 03:03 PM
This is when I need to start up a game store just for all the free goodies.
Winchester doesn't have much for geeks!

turkishproverb
2012-06-11, 04:30 PM
Oooh...Games Keep is doing it this year...

Amiel
2012-06-12, 04:32 AM
I wish my neck of the woods organised this :(

Flickerdart
2012-06-12, 08:28 AM
Damn, looks like the place that was doing it last year isn't anymore. Time to find a new haunt.

KuReshtin
2012-06-16, 01:14 PM
Happy Free RPG Day, everyone.

I hope that you've found a local gaming store that participates.

KuReshtin
2012-06-18, 05:42 AM
I have to say that the Free RPG Day event at the local shop was a success.

I'll just steal the Facebook updates posted by them to give all an idea of what went on this weeken:

Wow - what a day yesterday! Freebies, stunningly good Pathfinder, over 20 players, the world debut of the excellent Only War, RPG novices, 8 hours solid of action packed gaming, top Serenity-shaped fan service, RPG veterans, VIP phonecalls, a journey to Middle Earth in the sensational One Ring, award-winning RPG author in attendance, the world of Alien brought to the RPG table in fantastic style, 2 Player of the Session Chocolate Dice Awards handed out. Ready to do it all again today? Oh, not to mention usual Sunday afternoon Yu-Gi-Oh! Going to be another great day!

Did you think that Sunday couldn't possibly be as cool as Saturday? You know nothing, Jon Snow. 8 more hours of gaming, repelling aliens from earth in Conspiracy X, plans changed rechanged and changed again, flashy space pulp with Cosmic Patrol, a record number of gamers at Bus Stop Towers, RPG Veterans, having to use my kitchen to get everyone a place to play, a journey through an alternate 19th century New Mexico in Deadlands, a fantastic busy Yu-Gi-Oh! tournament going on at the same time, RPG Novices, something uber-cool on a laptop, new friends, squeezing in Cardfight!! Vanguard, RPG novices, yells of 'It's Alive', facing down the supernatural in Hunter: The Vigil, old friends, plans and theories, enough Mountain Dew to fill a bath, finally running the excellent Shadowrun, four more chocolate dice awards, and of course a whole load of freebies to take away and run with your own groups courtesy of just about every important RPG publisher on the planet.

Thanks especially to the GMs that gave up their time to prep games for everyone. Thanks to everyone that came down for a game (well done The Nine that made it through all 16 hours of gaming - rumours that they managed it because they are Nazgul in disguise are of course nonsense). Thanks to everyone that makes Free RPG possible worldwide. Look out for the video later in the week. Same time, same place, next year :)

Great time was had by all, and a bunch of the players are going to 'Endless Slab Rib Night' at the local Tony Roma's restaurant tonight. Going to be good.

turkishproverb
2012-06-18, 04:04 PM
The shop I checked didn't have anything left. Oh well. Still bought some new dice.:smallsmile:

Nai_Calus
2012-06-18, 09:32 PM
I wound up driving the hour 1/2 to Cincinnati and hitting up a couple of stores. Played in a 4E game at one store and a D&D Next game at another and had fun both places. Got the D&D module, and two of the Q-Workshop dice, a d% and a d8. No luck finding a 20, alas.

But a good time was had.

turkishproverb
2012-06-18, 11:29 PM
Could be worse, least you got something. :smallsmile: