PDA

View Full Version : An odd thought

*.*.*.*
2012-03-26, 08:12 AM
So I was looking through a copy of Tome of Magic today, remembering my fondness for the fluff. I was reading through the shadowcaster section and came upon the blurb about shadowcasters able to meet either requirement for the mystic theurge. An idea came to mind, if all theurges are cool using this rule, we can have shadowcasters qualify for anima mage!

Consider:
Shadowcaster3/Binder1(using improved binding)/Anima Mage10/Tenebrous Apostate5

Casting as an 18th level shadowcaster
Binding as a 19th level Binder

Am I extremely late on this and does it work?

Elfinor
2012-03-26, 10:08 AM
It doesn't work by RAW, the text only specifies Mystic Theurge as an exception to the other rules; Anima Mage doesn't fit the other rules, it requires arcane spellcasting.

You could just house rule that Shadowcaster Mystery invocation counts as Arcane Spellcasting for PrC purposes. Anima Mage practically functions right off the bat. It might have some funky interactions with other PrC's though.

*.*.*.*
2012-03-26, 10:49 AM
Thus why I said, 'if all theurges are cool using this rule'. When talking about gestalt, people still say 'no theurges' when the gestalt rules only mentioned MT by name.

No other comments? I was happy to see a little more use for a shadowcaster:smallfrown:

Particle_Man
2012-03-26, 11:03 AM
Could a shadowcaster meet *both* requirements of an MT, so get 2 levels of spellcaster per one level of MT? (shadowcaster 6/MT 10 = level 26 shadowcaster?)

Probably not. :smallbiggrin:

Shadowleaf
2012-03-26, 12:10 PM
Could a shadowcaster meet *both* requirements of an MT, so get 2 levels of spellcaster per one level of MT? (shadowcaster 6/MT 10 = level 26 shadowcaster?)

Probably not. :smallbiggrin:
That's not how Theurges work. You'd get CL16 Arcane and CL16 Divine. You normally take Theurge to advance two types of spellcasting at once - something your base class would already be doing.

Feralventas
2012-03-26, 01:01 PM
I might argue that if you're going to treat the class as both Arcane and Divine, then the MT progression would begin a split-point causing the 'caster to progress as if a gestalted shadowcaster/shadowcaster from that point forward in terms of their mysteries known.

Snowbluff
2012-03-26, 01:05 PM
That's not how Theurges work. You'd get CL16 Arcane and CL16 Divine. You normally take Theurge to advance two types of spellcasting at once - something your base class would already be doing.

He's referring to how UM can be used to dual-progress a Wizard. It's not how they should work, but that doesn't always keep it from happening. :smallcool:

Malachei
2012-03-26, 01:16 PM
IMO, there's no problem having Shadowcasters fill in one side of MT. If Shadowcaster is replacing Wizard, it's rather tuning down :)

But using UM or MT to dual progress Wizard is just going overboard.

If it does happen, the requirements are:

19 ranks in cheesy player
0 ranks in balanced DM
+3 eyesights of weird rules reading
One potion of Stinking Cloud (for the cheesy smell)