PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] A curious thought about my Diopsid...

GreenSerpent
2012-03-26, 10:26 AM
Hello everyone!

I'm just checking to make sure I have this right. A Diopsid can wield two 2-handed weapons and treat them with all the bonuses of 2-handed weapons due to the Extra Arms ability right?

So my build - when I reach ECL 20 - which will be:

Spirit Lion Barbarian 1/Fighter 6/Frenzied Berserker 10/(full BAB class) 2 wielding two Great Falchions.

with the relevant feats Power Attack, Shock Trooper, Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting and Leap Attack (and other non-relevant ones and prerequisites) would be able to (during a Charge):

Enter a Frenzy to get +10 to STR and an extra attack.
Power Attack for +19 damage, -19 to hit.
Supreme Power Attack (due to Diopsid ability granting the Great Falchions to still be treated as 2-handed weapons) to make this +76 to damage, -19 to hit.
Use Shock Trooper to make this +76 damage, -19 AC.
Use Leap Attack to make this +228 damage, -19 AC (as the weapons are still treated as 2-handed despite being wielded in one hand due to Diopsid Extra Arms ability)
Use the Pounce of the Spirit Lion totem ability to make 7 attacks, each with +228 damage.

I think I'm missing out on a feat or something that let me double the damage again. Can someone enlighten me as to what it is?

Also some suggestions as to what the (full BAB class) could be would be nice.

RMS Oceanic
2012-03-26, 10:31 AM
Great Falchion is an Exotic Weapon, isn't it? I think Exotic Weapon Master (Complete Warrior) has a Power Attack boosting ability.

FMArthur
2012-03-26, 11:24 AM
Valorous is a +1 weapon property from Unapproachable East that doubles damage on charge attacks.

Also you should know that diopsids don't have any ability that bypasses the normal penalties for TWFing using a non-light weapon in their off-hands. If you've got a suitably massive attack bonus I guess this doesn't matter, but it will at early levels.

Also, you have 8 attacks, not 7: 1 normal, 3 for high BAB, 3 from TWF, 1 from Frenzy. You can have a 9th by using the Whirling Frenzy rage variant from UA.

GreenSerpent
2012-03-26, 12:01 PM
Frenzy specifically states it doesn't stack with extra attack traits.

As for bypassing the penalties, I have the feat Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting to negate that.

I'll be looking at Exotic Weapon Master! I forgot about that.

RMS Oceanic
2012-03-26, 02:48 PM
Now having access to Complete Warrior to read up on EWM, I misremembered: The Uncanny Blow ability only applies to one-handed exotic weapons rather than two-handed weapons. However it also has the benefit of one handed weapons wielded two-handed to apply double their strength to damage rather than 1.5 the strength, and you can treat them as two handed for power attack. If you'd like a slightly higher solid damage output at the cost of dropping from d12 to d8, you might want to get Great Scimitars rather than Falchions.

Siosilvar
2012-03-26, 02:51 PM
Frenzy specifically states it doesn't stack with extra attack traits.

Which means it stacks with TWF but not haste, a speed weapon, or the recommended Whirling Frenzy variant barbarian. You absolutely have eight attacks.

Rhatahema
2012-03-26, 07:57 PM
Dragonsplits from MMIV are ideal for a Diopsid EWM. They're exotic one-handed weapons that are treated as light in regards to two-weapon fighting penalties. 1d6 damage, 19-20/x2 piercing or /x4 slashing. Your DM would have to set a price for them though.

There is errata for Leap attack...

If you cover at least 10 feet of horizontal distance with
your jump, and you end your jump in a square from
which you threaten your target, you deal +100% the
normal bonus damage from your use of the Power
Attack feat.
So your final bonus to damage would be +95 rather than +228. Still nothing to scoff at.