PDA

View Full Version : Sanity Striker [3.5, Epic prc, PEACH]

Dr.Orpheus
2012-03-26, 01:03 PM
So I have had this fellow request that I build a epic prc that chaneled energy from the far realms into fighting and so here is my result.

Sanity Striker

Requierments: To qualify to become a Sanity Striker, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Alignment: Any chaotic.

BAB: 21.

Skills: Knowledge (the planes) 24 ranks.

Special: Must have previously traveled to any of the far realms.

Skill Points: 2+int mod per level

Class Skills: Climb [str], Craft , Intimidate [cha], Jump [str] Knowledge (the planes) [int], Ride [dex], Swim [str]

Hit Dice: d10
{TABLE]Level|Special
1|Lesser Mutation
2|[I]Plane Shift 1/day
3|Mutation
4|Smite Law 1/day
5|Mutation
6|Plane Shift 2/day
7|Mutation
8|Smite Law 2/day
9|Greater Mutation
10|Plane Shift 3/day[/TABLE]

Class Features:

Lesser mutation: From spending time in worlds where Chaos is abundant you have taken on a small part of it. You may chose one of the following.

/////Fusion (EX): Any one weapon you own starts to meld to your hand(s) this weapon can no longer be disarmed and counts as a natural and manufactured weapon. If you were non-Proficient with this weapon or one size category to large or small to use it you gain the ability to wield it with a -4 penalty.

/////Sycophantic (EX): You see images in your head far more gruesome than any you have seen in reality making you immune to fear and any other emotion altering effects and you gain a +10 bonus vs. illusions or disguise checks of people trying to imitate aberrations, chaotic outsiders, or undead.

/////Lesser Chanel Chaos (SU): All Weapons you wield count as a +1 weapons unless they have even better enchantments.

Plane Shift (SP): At 2nd level you may cast Plane shift once per day as a spell like ability with a caster level equal to your level. Every four levels after 2nd level you may plane shift one additional time per day.

Mutation: Practicing the chaotic ways of the far realms has warped you into a twisted warrior. You may chose one of the following at 3rd, 5th, and 7th level. You may chose to gain a Lesser Mutation instead.

/////Rend Sanity (SU): In addition to any other damage you would deal to a creature, you also deal 1d4 Sanity damage to them. You may retake this mutation and its effects stacks.

/////Familiarity with the Far Realms (SU): You gain the chaotic subtype are treated as a native to the far realms, receive no penalties in abnormal gravity, can fly at a speed equal to your land speed when in no gravity, and when plane shifting to the far realms you no longer arrive off target.

/////Aberrant (EX): You become an aberration gaining 60 ft. Darkvision and form points equal to a Ozodrin half your level. You have the features basic eye, bite, tentacle, limb, spike, and fin.

/////Rift Charge (SP): As a full round action you may bull rush an opponent and if you are successful you tackle your opponent trough a portal to any layer in the far realms that you must spend a use of your Plane Shift spell like ability to create this portal. The portal vanishes as soon as you pass through it even if your opponent avoids you.

/////Super Fusion (EX): If you possess fusion and are fused to a weapon that you are non-Proficient with or one size category to large or small to use you no longer have a -4 penalty and may be unfused so you may fuse another weapon to your hand(s) once per day.

/////Rift Strike (SP): As a full round action you may charge an opponent and if you hit your opponent you you cause them to Plane Shift to a random layer in the far realms, but you must spend a use of your spell like ability even if the attack misses.

/////Chanel Chaos (SU): All Weapons you wield count as a +2 Chaotic weapons unless they have even better enchantments. If you already had Lesser Chanel Chaos the enhancement bonus is +4.

Smite Law (SU): Like the paladin ability with a similar name except it only effects lawful targets. You can use Smite Law once per day at 4th level and once more every four levels.

Greater mutation: You now know how to torment foes with your martial mastery of the far realms. You may chose one of the following at 8th level and every three levels thereafter. You may chose a Mutation or Lesser Mutation instead.

/////Rift Smite (SP): As a full round action you may make a smite attack against a lawful foe and cause them to Plane Shift to a random layer in the far realms. This requires no uses of your Plane Shift ability, but still requires that you smite.

/////Greater Chanel Chaos (SU): All Weapons you wield count as a +3 Chaotic weapons unless they have even better enchantments and cast the confusion spell as a caster level equal to your level on any intelligent creature struck. If you already had Chanel Chaos the enhancement bonus is +6.

/////Chaos Incarnite (EX): You become a Chaotic outsider gaining darkvision 60 ft., DR 10/law, and may cast Word of Chaos once per day as a spell like ability as a caster level equal to your level. If you have the Aberrant Mutation you become a Chaotic Extraplaner Aberration.

eftexar
2012-03-27, 12:54 AM
Out of curiosity, where are epic prc's from (why I ask is that if only one player has an epic prc it could affect balance)? Aside from that its simple but flows elegantly.
I would worry about the mutations though. Aberrant in particular seems really powerful (the ozodrin is too awesome to stuff into a single class ability anyways). Meanwhile super fusion doesn't have much benefit. Sure it eliminates a penalty, but it doesn't do anything cool. And when the other choices are more fun why take it? And does rift smite have a save?
Finally (sorry to nitpick), could you please bold the abilities. It would make it easier on the eyes.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-03-27, 10:16 AM
The epic prc is from the Epic Level Handbook it is a part of the d20srd (http://www.d20srd.org/) if you want to look at it.

It requires you to hit so there is no save but the plane shift spell is still subject to spell resistance.

Realms of Chaos
2012-03-27, 07:08 PM
It requires you to hit so there is no save but the plane shift spell is still subject to spell resistance.

Actually, as written, all of the mutations are extraordianary abilities so the planeshift wouldn't permit spell resistance. Though they mention spending uses of your planeshift ability, planeshifting a target and using planeshift as a spell-like ability against a target are oddly not the same thing. The language for Rift Charge is even more questionable as you create a portal rather than actually planeshifting. You may want to give descriptors of (Sp) (Su) and (Ex) to each individual mutation rather than giving them to the mutation abilities themselves.

Also, Rift charge/strike/smite should probably send targets to a random layer of the far realms as the entire far realms is one plane.

Amechra
2012-03-27, 07:27 PM
There is a lack of treating your targets sanity as hit points (using the sanity variant from UA).

I am disappointed.

Otherwise, it looks like it works, though remember you have to compete with stuff like tracking someone flawlessly anywhere within a given plane... without magic.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-03-27, 09:32 PM
Actually, as written, all of the mutations are extraordianary abilities so the planeshift wouldn't permit spell resistance. Though they mention spending uses of your planeshift ability, planeshifting a target and using planeshift as a spell-like ability against a target are oddly not the same thing. The language for Rift Charge is even more questionable as you create a portal rather than actually planeshifting. You may want to give descriptors of (Sp) (Su) and (Ex) to each individual mutation rather than giving them to the mutation abilities themselves.

Also, Rift charge/strike/smite should probably send targets to a random layer of the far realms as the entire far realms is one plane.
I guess that was a bit lazy of me and I thought that the far realms were pocket planes inside a big plane, but I will use the proper terminology.

There is a lack of treating your targets sanity as hit points (using the sanity variant from UA).

I am disappointed.

Otherwise, it looks like it works, though remember you have to compete with stuff like tracking someone flawlessly anywhere within a given plane... without magic.From my experience sanity is something that the DM decides, they judge how much sanity is lost and the will save by comparing it to a chart in the UA. If I made it mandatory to use sanity the class would be much less usable.

Amechra
2012-03-27, 10:19 PM
Oh, I thought they were going to be attacking it. Like, oh I don't know...

Punch the Sanity out of Them (Ex): In addition to any other damage you would deal to a creature, you also deal 1d6 Sanity damage to them.

At the third level of this class, and every 2 levels thereafter, you deal +1d6 Sanity damage.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-03-27, 11:09 PM
I guess that works, but that is probably too much sanity damage.