PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new laptop rtoo

Lea Plath
2012-03-26, 05:24 PM
So someone else is looking for a laptop, but I'm looking for something a bit diffrent.

I've got around £400 to spend ($600) and what I'm looking for is a laptop for my desk. Not gonna be moved around much.

I'm going to be running windows 7 on it, and using it for work, videos, internet and gaming.

My main games are things like Everquest 2, League of Legends, City of Heroes, L4D2, etc, so kinda want it to run those.

I know the spec for EQ2 is Minimum: Windows XP with SP3, Pentium 4 1.3 GHz or greater, 512 MB RAM (1 GB for Vista), DirectX 9 compatible video card. Pixel shader and vertex shader compatible hardware with 64 MB of HTMLure memory, DirectSound compatible audio hardware, 56k Internet connection, 14 GB hard drive space.

Recommended: Windows Vista/XP/Windows 7, Intel Core 2 2.4 GHz or greater, 2 GB RAM (XP), 4 GB (Vista/Windows 7), DirectX 9 compatible video card, NVIDIA 8800GTS/ATI 3850 pixel shader and vertex shader compatible hardware with 512 MB of HTMLure memory or greater, DirectSound compatible audio hardware, Broadband Internet connection, 14 GB hard drive space.

So does anyone know a laptop that can do those, in that kinda price range? I'm looking myself and just drawing a blank.

Grinner
2012-03-26, 08:40 PM
Are you looking to buy new or used?

Lea Plath
2012-03-27, 02:12 AM
New if possible, don't trust second hand PCs.

Grinner
2012-03-27, 02:34 AM
Well, 400 euros (euros, right?) is kind of tight for a new laptop of EQ2's recommended specs, not to mention the other games. Most of the ones I'm finding are just over your budget.

Also, do you plan to order it from the manufacturer or a distributor?

Lea Plath
2012-03-27, 11:45 AM
400 quid, it is about 500 euros.

I am unsure. I was looking at places like Amazon, PC world, Acer direct, ect. Does it matter who I order it from?

Reluctance
2012-03-27, 12:09 PM
Most of what I said in the other thread holds true here as well. A discrete graphics card is the most important thing for a gaming PC, and those things are pricey. And the new generation of Intel chips will be coming out in the very near future, with improved integrated graphics being part of the sales pitch.

If you're intent on a new PC ASAP, this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834200406) looks like it easily exceeds every requirement aside from the discrete card, while staying within your price range. I have no idea how international shipping works with them, mind.

For shopping, Amazon, Newegg, and Google Shopper tend to get you better deals. Mostly because they make it easier to compare products and pick the best price.

carpentron
2012-03-27, 12:25 PM
I usually recommend a custom hp laptop, something like this (http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/load_configuration.do?destination=review&config_id=7098787). There is a $50 coupon you can use on the site as well bringing it down to $575 (NBK5744). However hp doesnt seem to have a customization tool on there UK site, so i'm not sure how you could get it.

Lea Plath
2012-03-27, 02:06 PM
Most of what I said in the other thread holds true here as well. A discrete graphics card is the most important thing for a gaming PC, and those things are pricey. And the new generation of Intel chips will be coming out in the very near future, with improved integrated graphics being part of the sales pitch.

OK so what does that mean? Without the discrete card I won't be able to run any games?

Right now I'm running an Acer Aspire 8930G, but it is starting to slowly die. Freezing, crashing. And recently when I try to run CoH or EQ2, the screen dies and I have to restart it. So, if I get that Newegg one, will I be able to run those games at all?

Sorry, really bad with PC specs and thanks for everyones help ^^

Grinner
2012-03-27, 02:17 PM
OK so what does that mean? Without the discrete card I won't be able to run any games?

No, what he's saying is that you should not purchase a laptop with an integrated graphics card (a "chipset"). Otherwise, several years later, you may find that you can't play the next big thing in gaming, and you'll need to purchase another computer entirely, instead of just a new graphics card.

Reluctance
2012-03-27, 02:46 PM
Integrated graphics are built into the chip. To replace/upgrade them you'll have to replace your whole processor, which usually entails replacing other bits as well. (Your new processor probably won't fit on the old motherboard, which means you need to replace that.) Discrete graphics are separate, and usually much more powerful. They come with a corresponding increase in price, though.

I'm not much of a gamer, but I think the integrated graphics on the computer I linked should handle older games without too much trouble. It's just if you want to play newer games, or games with the settings turned all the way up, that you'll find yourself wanting the extra muscle.

Lea Plath
2012-03-27, 03:22 PM
No, what he's saying is that you should not purchase a laptop with an integrated graphics card (a "chipset"). Otherwise, several years later, you may find that you can't play the next big thing in gaming, and you'll need to purchase another computer entirely, instead of just a new graphics card.

Ahhh, well, I can live without playing my games in full OMG graphics and I'm still retro, because retro is best :P Dungeon Keeper 2 anyone?

Well, thanks. I'm gonna look for that Dell on a UK site now.

Grinner
2012-03-27, 03:41 PM
Hey, Reluctance. Do you know where to find individual laptop parts?

I've looked into building one before, but there's not much material available on the subject nor are parts plentiful. The closest thing I found was a laptop kit.

Reluctance
2012-03-27, 05:18 PM
There isn't much market for DIY laptops the same way there is for desktops. If you're looking to upgrade a component designed to be upgradeable (say, hard drives), you can find them most places you can find other computer parts. If you're looking to repair/replace a damaged component, you need to go directly to the manufacturer. Or more likely, a repair place that can get the bits themselves. If you want to put one together from custom parts, you're probably SOL.