PDA

View Full Version : scrolls divine/arcane?

Jo-sama
2012-03-26, 06:32 PM
Hello, everyone. Need help on the subject.
Wizard 1/Cleric 1
scribe scrolls feat
can I add (prepare and cast) a spell from the scroll to wizard spellbook if it was scribed by me as a cleric?
protection from evil, for example
or it is a divine spell scroll and I can't add (prepare and cast) it?

Feralventas
2012-03-26, 06:46 PM
Probably not, though I think you could do so with Cleric1/Archivist1 so that you'll have a prayerbook instead of a spellbook.

Still, Divine and Arcane spellcasters use different means and methods, and casting an arcane or divine spell as the other usually requires class features or feats of some sort to allow the conversion.

Ernir
2012-03-26, 06:57 PM
A wizard casts arcane spells which are drawn from the sorcerer/wizard spell list.

The corollary is that a Wizard can not cast non-Sorcerer/Wizard or non-arcane spells.

Jo-sama
2012-03-27, 12:27 PM
Probably not, though I think you could do so with Cleric1/Archivist1 so that you'll have a prayerbook instead of a spellbook.

Still, Divine and Arcane spellcasters use different means and methods, and casting an arcane or divine spell as the other usually requires class features or feats of some sort to allow the conversion.

This means that each scroll in the game have a certain type - divine or arcane?

Ernir, I'm talking about the spells which are in the sorcerer/wizard and in the cleric spell list - protection from good/evil/chaos/law or magic weapon, as other example

If I can scribe scrolls why do I need to buy :)

Starbuck_II
2012-03-27, 03:23 PM
The corollary is that a Wizard can not cast non-Sorcerer/Wizard or non-arcane spells.

Now a Sorceror doesn't have that limit... it says primarily from Wizard/sorceror list so some can be other lists...

Telonius
2012-03-27, 03:31 PM
This means that each scroll in the game have a certain type - divine or arcane?

Correct. In the Scrolls (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/scrolls.htm) section of the SRD, you can see that there are two separate lists for Arcane scrolls and Divine scrolls. "Protection from ...." spells are listed once under each list. (You might also notice that there are some Cure spells listed under Arcane - those are scrolls as scribed by a Bard.)

Jeraa
2012-03-27, 03:33 PM
Now a Sorceror doesn't have that limit... it says primarily from Wizard/sorceror list so some can be other lists...

Yes he does. While it does say "primarily", the only spell list a sorcerer has access to is the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list. He doesn't have access to the cleric list, or the druid list, or any other spell list. If he did, the class would specifically say so.

A sorcerer is limited to using the same scrolls as a wizard, as he does not have access to any other classes spell list. (With the exception that there are a few spells a wizard can cast that a sorcerer can't. I don't know of any spells a sorcerer can cast that a wizard can't, though there are probably a few.)

Madara
2012-03-27, 03:38 PM
SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/sorcererWizard.htm):

These new spells can be common spells chosen from the sorcerer/wizard spell list, or they can be unusual spells that the sorcerer has gained some understanding of by study.

It does say he has access to other unusual spells, but it requires some extra study or such.

Starbuck_II
2012-03-27, 03:52 PM
So you can see that he isn't limited to that list. Now what the heck they mean: no one knows definately but it means he might be able to learn a non-wizard spell by RAW.

It can't be research a new because the Wizard is 100% limited to the list so research doesn't bypass list.

Madara
2012-03-27, 03:55 PM
It can't be research a new because the Wizard is 100% limited to the list so research doesn't bypass list.

except of course the homebrew spells, which are generated by RAW research.

Starbuck_II
2012-03-27, 03:57 PM
except of course the homebrew spells, which are generated by RAW research.

But are added to the list. So Sorceror should be able to acess them already.

Madara
2012-03-27, 04:00 PM
Ah, I thought you meant for wizards :smallredface: