PDA

View Full Version : Gleemax Purging?

Snowbluff
2012-03-26, 06:34 PM
What was this?

I've only been playing DnD and a member for this community for a short time, so there are many things I do not know and many things I missed out one. This has come up several times in my perusal of the defuncted BG forums, it daughter site, and here.

Coidzor
2012-03-26, 06:43 PM
You'll get a more indepth explanation soon, but my understanding is that Gleemax is a place that WOTC had their forums for a long time.

Then they moved from Gleemax to their own local site or something along those lines and lost a whole lot of threads. I believe this was around 2006-2007, about when they were wanting to phase out 3.5 and get people to get hyped for 4th edition, so taking a hatchet to most of the 3.X content and theorycrafting and internet-famous builds was taken by a fair number of people to have been deliberate.

Of particular note is that a whole lot of resources that fans created to supplement the Red Hand of Doom adventure, one of the most famous and beloved and widely played of 3.X adventures was almost completely destroyed, which is what caused some people to make a Handbook for DMs on this site to try to recreate some of it and collect what resources have survived.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-03-26, 06:44 PM
Gleemax was the name of the official WotC boards back in the day before 4e came out. When it came out, Wizards decided to re-structure it's board to be more focused with 4e and as such a lot of 3.5 content in the boards was lost.

Jeraa
2012-03-26, 06:45 PM
A few years ago, the Wizards of the Coast site started to switch over to something new - Gleemax. A lot of stuff on their forums was lost when they transferred over to the new Gleemax forums. Ultimately, they decided Gleemax was a bad idea, and switched to something else.

Wikipedia entry on Gleemax (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gleemax)

kaomera
2012-03-26, 09:12 PM
Gleemax was supposed to be a WotC-specific social-networking site, kind of like a more focused Facebook. It was part of the WotC push for online content / products that included The Goblin Game and the at-launch 4e online tabletop, character designer, etc. The whole thing was a huge flop, with only an alpha of Gleemax (with about 10% of the announced features) ever launching, and even that was generally considered less useful than the previous WotC forums. The ''purging'' would have been data lost in either the transition to and/or from the Gleemax setup. The moral of the story, for users, is: don't rely on online forums to store your stuff, keep local backups!

KillianHawkeye
2012-03-26, 09:29 PM
The moral of the story, for users, is: don't rely on online forums to store your stuff, keep local backups!

This cannot be emphasized enough.

nyarlathotep
2012-03-26, 09:36 PM
Gleemax was supposed to be a WotC-specific social-networking site, kind of like a more focused Facebook. It was part of the WotC push for online content / products that included The Goblin Game and the at-launch 4e online tabletop, character designer, etc. The whole thing was a huge flop, with only an alpha of Gleemax (with about 10% of the announced features) ever launching, and even that was generally considered less useful than the previous WotC forums. The ''purging'' would have been data lost in either the transition to and/or from the Gleemax setup. The moral of the story, for users, is: don't rely on online forums to store your stuff, keep local backups!

Was The Goblin Game ever finished and released?

Calanon
2012-03-27, 01:34 AM
I have a question pertaining to this subject: Is there anywhere on the internet you can get the lost information of Gleemax?

Coidzor
2012-03-27, 01:40 AM
I think the wayback machine if you know exactly how to look can find some stuff.

Calanon
2012-03-27, 02:09 AM
I think the wayback machine if you know exactly how to look can find some stuff.

How would I be able to find stuff posted by Karsus The Mad? :smallconfused: I found an online Wayback Machine that hopefully would be able to access such information but not without a URL...

Telok
2012-03-27, 03:46 AM
Google caches web pages. That might help you.

kaomera
2012-03-27, 07:53 AM
Was The Goblin Game ever finished and released?
I never saw anything other than a few mentions of it, and how cool it was going to be. This (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=goblinz/welcome) was really about all the public ever got. It honestly looked to me like they may never have even gotten to the point of serious testing, which is kinda sad because it did look like a really cool concept.