PDA

View Full Version : more Monk questions

odigity
2012-03-26, 06:42 PM
Still trying to figure everything out for my Monk character. Already studied unarmed damage progression (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237574) and magic armor alternatives (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237500), but there's misc bits and pieces I still don't have figured out:

1) I've determine that you can put an armor crystal on Bracers of Armor, but can you put a weapon crystal on Necklace of Natural Attacks?

2) The Iron Ward Diamond (armor crystal) Lesser/Greater versions say they must be put on medium or heavy armor. What type of armor is Bracers of Armor for this purpose?

3) Would the Eager and Warning weapon properties function properly on a Necklace of Natural Attack?

4) Decisive Strike says: "As a full-round action, make one attack with an unarmed strike or a special monk weapon, using your highest base attack bonus but taking a –2 penalty on this attack roll. If the attack hits, it deals double damage (as does any other attack you make before the start of your next turn)."

Does that mean that I would even do double damage on AoO that I use my spiked chain for before my next turn? I doubt that's what was intended, but that's how it reads to me. In addition, it doesn't say the -2 applies to the rest of the attacks (like it does with Flurry), but the double damage effect does. Pretty sweet - you get the pros without the cons. Unless I'm misunderstanding it?

Flickerdart
2012-03-26, 06:48 PM
A Necklace of Natural Attacks is not a weapon. Bracers of Armor are not any kind of armor. Eager and Warning would function just fine. Yes, you get the double damage for all the AoOs and stuff, but this still sucks unless your enemies provoke more often than you would get attacks normally.

odigity
2012-03-26, 07:12 PM
A Necklace of Natural Attacks is not a weapon. Bracers of Armor are not any kind of armor.

True, yet you can put an armor crystal on Bracers of Armor. So, it stands to reason that it might be possible to put a weapon crystal on the Necklace of Natural Attacks, since the whole purpose of it is to allow you to do with your natural attacks what others do with their manufactured weapons (enchant them with weapon properties and enhancement bonuses at the very least).

Regarding the Iron Ward Diamond, if you can put armor crystals on Bracers of Armor, but they are not armor, does that mean you're limited to the Least version of the IWD, because it doesn't require a specific class of armor (medium/heavy)?

Yes, you get the double damage for all the AoOs and stuff, but this still sucks unless your enemies provoke more often than you would get attacks normally.

I won't be getting many attacks normally, especially if I trade Flurry of Blows for Decisive Strike. I don't have TWF, and my BAB is going to suck forever. Just something I have to accept.

Pumping my Dex with Combat Reflexes while threatening 96 squares seems like the best way to make do with what I have, now.

Doughnut Master
2012-03-26, 09:12 PM
Throw in some snap kick and robilar's gambit/karmic strike, and you can start benefiting from that double damage.

Gavinfoxx
2012-03-26, 09:20 PM
Some time ago, I wrote a good bit of advice for monks in a thread some time ago...

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12910513#post12910513

For the most part, it came down to this:

Use weapons, two handed, unless you Wild Shape (then you use claws with secondary unarmed strike). Really, the basic monk unarmed strike thing REALLY kinda sucks as a primary means of doing damage, unless you invest gobs and gobs and gobs of resources into it. Also, use excessive amounts of alternative class features and alternative class feature chaining.

Or, you could just play a Tashalatora Psychic Warrior or Unarmed Swordsage or Sacred Fist...

odigity
2012-03-28, 07:22 PM
All-Monk campaign gathering interest, looking for a DM:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237800