PDA

View Full Version : Hack'n'Slash Charge combo help

Xeolan
2012-03-26, 07:01 PM
I'm trying to create a fighter wielding a greatsword that sacrifices defense for speed and power.

I've know about the different way to optimize damage on a charge, but this time, instead of focusing on maximized damage vs. a single target, i want to be able to deal massive AoE as a fighter. I'm trying to maximise my base land speed so i can increase my charge distance.

Rules:

-Straight Fighter
-Human
-For Roleplay purpose, i can only use a greatsword.
-Starting at lvl 12

Currently, my feats are:

Quick trait: Increases my base land speed by 10ft, but reduces my health by 1hp/lvl

Fast movement: Traded my use of heavy armor and tower shield to increase my base land speed by another 10ft

lvl 1: -Power attack
-Cleave
-Dodge
lvl 2: -Mobility
lvl 3: -Imp. Bull Rush
lvl 4: -Spring attack
lvl 6: -Shock Trooper
-Weapon Focus(Greatsword)
lvl 8: -Cleaving rampage
lvl 9: -Weapon Spec.(Greatsword)
lvl 10: -Greater weapon focus(Greatsword)
lvl 12: -Greater weapon spec.(Greatsword)
-Lunge

Instead of delivering uber amount of damage against a single foe, i want to be able to charge in a straight line and slice everyone up in my path and up to 10ft away (With Lunge). Shock trooper allows me to sacrifice AC to maximise damage. I took the Spring attack and Greater Cleave feat chain to get access to Cleaving Rampage, which allows me to cleave everything in my path up to double of my base land speed.

I skipped Leap attack and Battle jump, as both requires that i end my charge on my first attack.

I can probably get a valorous weapon quite easily to double my damage on a charge.

My main issues:

-Cleaving rampage states that my charge stops if i fail to down a foe

-I still feel like there should be a way to maximise my damage beside shock trooper and a valorous weapon.

-My low AC from lack of armor, my reduced health, and the Shock Trooper penality to AC could mean my death if i fail to dash through the group of foes.

If anyone knows a way that would allow me to successfuly dash through a group of foes even if i fail to down a target, and without attracting too much AoOs

I want to get that feeling where the fighter stands in a corridor filled with monsters, the fighter dashes through the corridor and slices all foes at once.

Thanks to anyone that can lend me a hand =D

NOhara24
2012-03-26, 07:07 PM
If anyone knows a way that would allow me to successfuly dash through a group of foes even if i fail to down a target, and without attracting too much AoOs

There's a low level paladin spell, Zeal, that lets you move through enemies as if they were friends. It gives you +4AC on AoOs from them. But doing AoE damage as a fighter is pretty...hard.

Elric VIII
2012-03-26, 09:49 PM
You could include Elusive Target, Improved Trip, and Robilar's Gambit on your build (in place of the Weapon focus/spec line). They let you attack anyone that attacks you and trip/attack anyone that attacks you when you provoke an AoO. So if you plan your cleaving rampage so that you provoke AoOs as you go, you can generate extra attacks to make sure you drop the enemies.

Red_Dog
2012-03-26, 10:02 PM
Elric VIII said exactly what I was going to say.

5 feats => Elusive Target chain[3feats] & Improved Trip[2feats].

Since you already got the feats [dodge mobility], you can pick up spring attack & bounding assault. Make 2 attack during your full move.

Also I am NOT sure if shock trooper works with elusive target. It will work on the final Impact, but not on your improved Trip attacks. And if it will, you don't want it to work, as you want AC as high as possible so attacks miss and you get to trip.

Xeolan
2012-03-27, 12:12 AM
Cleaving rampage states that if i miss to down an opponent with an attack, i must stop my movement, but if i get Bounding Assault (And later Rapid Blitz) It would allow me to give a second strike that may down my foe and thus allow me to keep on moving forward instead of stopping. Or that's how i understand it.

But with my current build, low hp and AC, i wouldn't risk triggering AoOs on purpose.

Yeah i know i can be picky, sorry X_x

BTW, weren't there a feat that allows to move while doing a Whirlwind Attack?

Endarire
2012-03-27, 12:24 AM
Hood (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872838/Little_Red_Raiding_Hood:_A_Tale_of_38;_Guide_to_th e_3.5_Dragoon). Polearms optional.