PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a Multiclassing Houserule

EnnPeeCee
2012-03-26, 07:47 PM
Multiclassing as it currently stands is rather difficult to use with classes that have features that scale off of that class's level (such as spellcasting). This makes it so classes with these features either have to stay un-multiclassed for all 20 level (excluding prestige classes), or only take minor dips into other classes. As such, it is rare to see 10/10 multiclasses, or even 5/15.

I had an idea for a variation on the multiclassing system that would help reduce this issue, and I wanted to see how people reacted to it. I have no plans of actually implementing this in any games yet, just been thinking about it.

It is simple in concept, but can be a tad cumbersome to keep track of (and explain). I'll explain using an example, because I'm having trouble wording it correctly.

Take the character John, who is a Fighter 10/Wizard 10. Using normal rules, he'd have the stats and class features from 10 levels of fighter, and 10 levels of wizard (not something you'd want to see on a 20th level character)
My idea is to allow characters to gain virtual levels that provide class features, but not stats. For each class, you gain a number of virtual levels equal to half the levels taken in other classes, but not exceeding the number of levels in the class your are calculating for. (Thats wordy)
So John would gain 5 virtual levels of fighter, and 5 virtual levels of wizard. He still has the same stats from before, but now he casts as a 15th level wizard, and has feats as a 15th level fighter. (Much better for a 20th level character)

Another example, Dave the Barbarian 10/Fighter 5/Rogue 3
Dave gains 4 virtual Barbarian levels, 5 virtual Fighter levels, and 3 virtual Rogue levels with my system.

So what this does:
- Classes get extra free class features when multiclassing
- Classes cannot exceed the class features that would have been gotten by staying in that class
- Classes do not gain extra hp/bab/saves/etc
- Class capstone abilities are only accessible through 20 levels of that class still

Why I think this is possible a good idea:
- Opens up multiclassing to classes that it was previously difficult to do with
- Classes don't get "forgotten" when not leveled

Issues I am aware of:
- Makes multiclasses characters much more powerful than previously
- How this interacts with prestige classes and other things that advance class features
- Possible unforseen exploits

So what do you think? Completely unnecessary? An idea with potential? Broken beyond my comprehension?

Augulus
2012-03-26, 07:54 PM
So what do you think? Completely unnecessary? An idea with potential? Broken beyond my comprehension?

Interesting idea! Personally, I love the idea of evenly multiclassing two unlike classes, but rarely have the chance to do it in-game (because of obvious drawbacks).

I would venture to guess that this system would work with... responsible players. The way I'm reading it, it seems that the more you multiclass, the more powerful you would become. Because of this, I suggest that you might get the "virtual levels" of only one class you had before you multiclassed. i.e. John the Fighter 10/Wizard 10 would choose to get virtual classes in either fighter or wizard.

Good idea though!

EnnPeeCee
2012-03-27, 12:37 AM
Interesting idea! Personally, I love the idea of evenly multiclassing two unlike classes, but rarely have the chance to do it in-game (because of obvious drawbacks).

I would venture to guess that this system would work with... responsible players. The way I'm reading it, it seems that the more you multiclass, the more powerful you would become. Because of this, I suggest that you might get the "virtual levels" of only one class you had before you multiclassed. i.e. John the Fighter 10/Wizard 10 would choose to get virtual classes in either fighter or wizard.

Good idea though!

Restricting it to only one class could work just fine. It still allows difficult classes to multiclass better, but holds back some of the extra power.

Telonius
2012-03-27, 12:54 AM
Yeah, you'd have to take a close look at how this would interact with things like Daring Outlaw, or dual casting progression PrC's like Mystic Theurge. Even gish-y PrC's like Arcane Trickster, Sacred Fist, or Eldritch Knight could get a little bit weird. I'd say that in general the multiclassing thing should only apply to Base classes, not PrC's.

One thing I could see is that a bunch of front-loaded classes (Bard, Paladin, Monk..?) will get dipped into more martial builds.

Tome of Battle classes would be a whole other can of worms.

For alignment-based classes, will you require the alignment to stay the same? For example, a character that starts out Barbarian and has an alignment shift to (let's say) Monk. Will he continue to get abilities in a class he no longer qualifies for, as he advances?

nyjastul69
2012-03-27, 01:03 AM
I think it's a neat idea. I also think you might get better feedback in homebrew forum.

Dumbledore lives
2012-03-27, 01:10 AM
The only problem with this is a 1 level dip would essentially become a 2 level, with a level of fighter or monk becoming much more popular. Dips are nice and all, but I think that is the kind of thing you are trying to discourage, so limiting it to 1 or 2 classes seems like a good solution.