PDA

View Full Version : non-magical commander

limejuicepowder
2012-03-26, 10:17 PM
i'm introducing a new NPC in the game I'm dming, and I need a class(es) suggestion. This character will be in the 7th-9th level range, and I want him to be group oriented - at least some minor crowd buffing abilities (he was a crown prince, recently turned king).

-I don't want to use paladin
-I don't want any class that is primarily magical
-mid-op levels; I need him to be reasonable strong, but nothing too insane is necessary.

the setting is nordic/viking, if that helps at all. Thanks!

Alabenson
2012-03-26, 10:28 PM
You may wish to consider Marshal, from Minatures Handbook. It's a martial class who's entire shtick is buffing allies with auras fueled by his commanding presence as opposed to magic. As I recall, its listed at about Tier 4, so it can constribute without overshadowing anyone.

Jasdoif
2012-03-26, 10:34 PM
You may wish to consider Marshal, from Minatures Handbook. It's a martial class who's entire shtick is buffing allies with auras fueled by his commanding presence as opposed to magic.Seconded.

And conveniently, the Marshal class is available via an official excerpt (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906b), if you don't have the Miniatures Handbook.

Anderlith
2012-03-26, 10:36 PM
There is also the Dragon Shaman, who has auras to buff allies & debuff enemies, but has a bit more magicalness to it.

tyckspoon
2012-03-26, 10:38 PM
Sounds like a (possibly Savage) Bardblade to me; Bard/Warblade, Song of the White Raven feat, pick a lot of White Raven maneuvers. Some kind of spoken Perform for his Inspire Courage; Oratory would be the official version, I'd probably go with something like Warchant or Sagas. Covers both battlefield leadership and valuable rulership skills in the Bard and Warblade class skill lists. Bard does have minor magic, but it's little enough in this kind of build that you can either take a few concept-appropriate spells or just ignore it altogether and not be leaving out too much.

jara
2012-03-27, 06:35 AM
you could probably go marshal6 / legendary leader1-3

legendary leader is in heroes of battle, and if i remember right, its level determines what types of "commander auras" it can use, and it can eventually use two at once. it's pretty much built around leadership.

he won't have a high bab, i think both marshal and legendary leader are 3/4bab, but the crowd buffs you can get with them are wonderful.