PDA

View Full Version : Ebberon Airship Question

airwolf
2012-03-26, 10:47 PM
Hey all just as the title says i have a small question about Airships. Is the price for an airship an enchantment cost or is it the price of the ship its self? The reason i ask is for a one shot game of crazy epic stuff. My character is rouge/swash/legendary captian//scout/dread pirate at lv 11 with the starting gold of a character at level 20.:biggrin:

Jeraa
2012-03-26, 10:59 PM
Hey all just as the title says i have a small question about Airships. Is the price for an airship an enchantment cost or is it the price of the ship its self? The reason i ask is for a one shot game of crazy epic stuff. My character is rouge/swash/legendary captian//scout/dread pirate at lv 11 with the starting gold of a character at level 20.:biggrin:

The airship on page 267 of the Eberron Campaign Setting is just like any other magic item. The price given is its purchase price. Crafting price is half that.

(The soarwood ships on page 121 aren't airships - they are just normal sailing ships.)

airwolf
2012-03-26, 11:08 PM
ok cool. that will save me some and does any one know how to "sink" the ship.

Thomo
2012-03-27, 12:59 AM
Depending on your DM of course, but massive damage would do it. In my campaign I've ruled it that the elemental is bound to a crystal array inside the ship, basically it's used as a focus for the energy. Disrupting or destroying this completely would cause the elemental to be freed and the ship stop flying. Which would be bad if someone broke it while in the air.

supermonkeyjoe
2012-03-27, 04:14 AM
Depending on your DM of course, but massive damage would do it. In my campaign I've ruled it that the elemental is bound to a crystal array inside the ship, basically it's used as a focus for the energy. Disrupting or destroying this completely would cause the elemental to be freed and the ship stop flying. Which would be bad if someone broke it while in the air.

Actually it's stated that the Eberron airships float because they're made of magical soarwood, the elemental only allows it to move. If the elemental is freed then the ship just drifts helplessly.

The best way to crash an Eberron airship is to take control of the elemental somehow (rebuke from an elemental domain, dominate monster or a high charisma check) and command it to drive the airship into the ground.

Venerable
2012-03-27, 12:16 PM
Actually it's stated that the Eberron airships float because they're made of magical soarwood, the elemental only allows it to move. If the elemental is freed then the ship just drifts helplessly.

The 3.5 & 4e books both say that freeing an airship's elemental is enough to send a ship groundward [3.5 Magic of Eberron p. 8, 4e Eberron Campaign Guide p. 44]. Yet the 3.5 Explorer's Handbook p. 29-30 corroborates Supermonkeyjoe's statement. A bit of a contradiction there, so it's DM's choice.

Personally, I'd say breaking the elemental binding will send an airship down. Much more dramatic than bobbing about aimlessly in the sky, and Eberron's all about pulp thrills.

airwolf
2012-03-27, 07:36 PM
hey thanks all and i have one more question. how many light and heavy weapon mounts would it have or is that up to DM as well?

Prime32
2012-03-28, 09:56 AM
I recommend looking into the rules from Stronghold Builder's Guide and designating the airship as your stronghold.

Gavinfoxx
2012-03-28, 01:39 PM
I'm working on an airship creation handbook... it's a work in progress...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14zilT4WGOyHM0AfpG4-GmD2FkgDg1HZ9HC1cTleQHds/edit

PairO'Dice Lost
2012-03-28, 07:18 PM
ok cool. that will save me some and does any one know how to "sink" the ship.

As per Chapter 2 of the Eberron Explorer's Handbook, each elemental vessel has a certain number of hull sections, and destroying enough of them will destroy the ship. The airship stats on page 30 show that the airship has 1000 hull sections (each with HP 60, hardness 5, and fire resistance 10), and that you need to destroy 250 of them to take down the airship. That's only 16,250 damage minimum; shouldn't be too hard, right? :smallwink:

Nerd-o-rama
2012-03-29, 09:41 AM
As per Chapter 2 of the Eberron Explorer's Handbook, each elemental vessel has a certain number of hull sections, and destroying enough of them will destroy the ship. The airship stats on page 30 show that the airship has 1000 hull sections (each with HP 60, hardness 5, and fire resistance 10), and that you need to destroy 250 of them to take down the airship. That's only 16,250 damage minimum; shouldn't be too hard, right? :smallwink:

AoE spells, preferably Acid, are the way to go since they damage multiple hull sections.

Heatwizard
2012-03-29, 10:17 AM
Personally, I'd say breaking the elemental binding will send an airship down. Much more dramatic than bobbing about aimlessly in the sky, and Eberron's all about pulp thrills.

There's also that breaking the elemental binding means you have a big, pissed off elemental in your ship, which will probably want to rip your boat in half before leaving.

PairO'Dice Lost
2012-03-29, 11:27 AM
AoE spells, preferably Acid, are the way to go since they damage multiple hull sections.

Of course AoEs make it a lot easier, though fireball and lightning bolt and friends only cover around 12 sections at most, so it's still going to be a bit of a slog.

Cieyrin
2012-03-30, 12:19 PM
I recommend looking into the rules from Stronghold Builder's Guide and designating the airship as your stronghold.

Looking at Arms and Equipment Guide for vehicle rules, like the current airships use, is also rather helpful. They tell you what all the stat blocks mean and have costs for mundane and magical extras and plenty of ways to tweak your ship out.