PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Faerie dragon: This looks insane.

deuxhero
2012-03-26, 11:49 PM
From Bestiary 3 (SRD (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/dragons/dragon-faerie)) we have this option for Improved Familiar.

This thing looks insane. 3rd level sorcerer casting (default selection of spells isn't TERRIBLE, but improvable if there is some method in pure, no-DSP, PF or the DM lets you. Description implies it isn't the only set they will have), good movement speeds, +9 UMD mod, speaks 4 languages with 100 ft telepathy, decent social skills, 3/day self improved invisibility and great ability scores.

Is there some obvious weakness I missed? Was this Errataed? Admittedly, this, with PF not making familiars EXP bombs, its enough to make me want to take IF for once, but the fact that even the other PF IFs (Only Ratlings comes anywhere near it with 1 week commune, admittedly common among PF IFs, and scroll use abilities), even in B3, aren't anywhere near its level is odd.

I'd think if played to its 16 int against a group with no elf it could actually be a TPK at level 2 (Start with Improved invisibility, sleep someone, CDG and repeat).

Bhaakon
2012-03-27, 01:16 AM
No obvious weaknesses that I can thinks of, but its strengths play out relatively quickly. 14 DCs aren't that great shakes even at level 7 (and most creates you'd be facing then are 5HD or higher anyway, so sleep is out the window). There are other familiars with abilities that stay relevant at higher levels (the ones with commune, blindsense (or should I say "permanent detect invisibility"), or the ratling and its scroll use.

Deox
2012-03-27, 01:23 AM
The Beguiler improved familiar comes to mind.

Pilo
2012-03-27, 04:25 AM
Well, most of the improved familiars in PF have magic spell like abilities or spells.
Faerie dragon is not unbalanced regarded of that.

Saph
2012-03-27, 04:54 AM
It's not that amazing. The Improved Invis has a duration of 3 rounds max and it's self-only. The spells and breath weapon might annoy an enemy, but the DCs are low and the breath weapon has a range of 5 feet, so it's going to have to get into melee range to deliver it . . . and its defences are pretty meh, so one hit and it goes splat.

Honestly, I think I'd rather have a pseudodragon.

Bhaakon
2012-03-27, 05:16 AM
I like void worm and spirit oni myself.

deuxhero
2012-03-27, 10:28 AM
It's not that amazing. The Improved Invis has a duration of 3 rounds max and it's self-only. The spells and breath weapon might annoy an enemy, but the DCs are low and the breath weapon has a range of 5 feet, so it's going to have to get into melee range to deliver it . . . and its defences are pretty meh, so one hit and it goes splat.

Honestly, I think I'd rather have a pseudodragon.

Grease used for creating difficult terrain has no save and Silent Image don't allow a save until interacted with (and that's just the default spells). The fact that it has sorcerer casting means it doesn't need UMD for that list.

Saph
2012-03-27, 10:34 AM
Grease used for creating difficult terrain has no save and Silent Image don't allow a save until interacted with (and that's just the default spells). The fact that it has sorcerer casting means it doesn't need UMD for that list.

But the spells don't scale. At level 2 (the creature's CR) they're great. At level 7 (the earliest you can get one as a familiar) they're much less impressive. They get less and less impressive as you continue to level up - and the dragon's casting never improves.

It's a useful ally to have, but it's nowhere near 'insane' level.

deuxhero
2012-03-27, 10:41 AM
I meant "Insane" in terms of IF.

Admittedly, it is a lot less useful outside of 3.5's environment of Eternal Wands and non-core short term buffs.

Starbuck_II
2012-03-27, 11:39 AM
Better if using Monsters as PCs, you can play one at level 2 (since CR 2).
Its pretty good at level 2.

nedz
2012-03-27, 05:36 PM
Can you share spells on that Greater Invisibility ?
Otherwise Silent Image is the only one that will always have uses.

Can you get someone addicted to the Breath Weapon ?
Alternatively: if you can tolerate the bad effects, being immune to fear has its uses.