PDA

View Full Version : {3.P} Diopsid Whirlwind of Blades

Tokuhara
2012-03-27, 01:21 AM
I had a weird thought:

A diopsid with Multiweapon Fighting essentially spinning in a tornado-like motion, blending his opponents into goo.

My goal:

A low-magic (non-caster) option for a General Grievous-style character

Rules:

Core classes only (DM's rules, not mine.)
Diopsid (Dragon Magazine Compendium) as race
Multiweapon Fighting as the combat style. I just like the meat grinder-style of fighting...
Not A Caster, arcane or otherwise.
All of 3.5 and Pathfinder at your disposal

Special Considerations:

I want to multi-wield the best light one-handers in the business, though I want to limit cheese. My party is a Blaster Sorcerer, a Skillmonkey Bard, a Tank-y Barbarian, and a Healer Cleric. I know, I'll have an effective Flurry of Misses, but hey, it'll look far cooler than the cookie-cutter melee guy

DemonRoach
2012-03-27, 04:53 AM
Dervish with Fighter Entry (Desert Wind Martial Study to get Tumble as a class skill)? Scimitar focus?

Non-magic entry in Core restricting you to Fighter or Monk barring ACF's being allowed...

Rhaegar14
2012-03-27, 05:12 AM
I know Diopsid has significantly lower LA and no RHD, but are you sure you wouldn't be better off with a Thri-Kreen? Diopsids take pretty bad penalties for wielding weapons in their weaker hands, if I recall.

DemonRoach
2012-03-27, 05:56 AM
I know Diopsid has significantly lower LA and no RHD, but are you sure you wouldn't be better off with a Thri-Kreen? Diopsids take pretty bad penalties for wielding weapons in their weaker hands, if I recall.

"If a diopsid carries a weapon or shield in its
secondary arms while one or more of its primary
arms also carry an item, it suffers a number of
penalties. When using a shield, the diopsid takes the
shield's armor check penalty on its attack rolls and
skill checks even if it has proficiency with the shield.
When using a weapon, the diopsid gains only half its
Strength bonus on damage rolls. It takes a -4 penalty
on all attacks for each light weapon used in this
manner. This penalty increases to -8 for one-handed
weapons. The diopsid cannot carry a two-handed
weapon with just its secondary arms."

Ouch...

Rhaegar14
2012-03-27, 06:26 AM
As for weapons, as long as it's a light weapon and it's agile, and you have weapon finesse, you've solved TWF's MAD problem. But four +2-equivalent weapons might require more WBL than you have at your disposal.

Darrin
2012-03-27, 07:18 AM
I want to multi-wield the best light one-handers in the business, though I want to limit cheese.

Four arms is not enough.

Totemist 2. Core classes only? Ouch!
Obah-Blessed template (Dungeon #136), adds four arms, LA +3.
Aberrant Limbs (DMGII p. 158, NPC only), adds two arms, LA +2.
Girallon's blessing + permanency (Savage Species p. 60), adds two arms, costs about 11140 GP.

That's 12 arms.

Now we add Multi-Headed Creature template (LA +2) for an extra head and Superior Multiweapon Fighting (Ex). I'm not entirely sure how to parse the "one head controls one arm" thing... but it looks like all those penalties from the Diopsid description about wielding weapons with your secondary arms goes away.

...yeah, I think that blows "limit cheese" out of the water.

Still, a two-headed four-armed Diopsid might still be pretty bad-ass for only LA +3.

Tokuhara
2012-03-27, 08:50 AM

DM waived the "lesser arms" penalties for me specifically, saying that my character (Kil'ith) trained himself to fight this way. Granted, It isn't an effective style, but it looks cool.

And I am allowed to use Archetypes/ACFs, just the base classes though, so I could do a Serene Armored Hulk (Our tank barbarian), but not a Drow Swashbuckler with Shield of Blades. Can also use PrC's