PDA

View Full Version : Madness in GURPS?

Epsilon Rose
2012-03-27, 11:52 AM
Does any one know of a good set of rules for madness in GURPS (official or otherwise)?
I'm looking or something closer to Eclipse Phases (a port of that would work, if any one could figure out how to do it) system than Call of Cthulhu's, in so much as I don't want to completely disable characters and I would like more long lasting problems.

Also, I've seen it suggested that fright-checks could be used in place of a separate Madness mechanic, but I would like to keep those separate, since not every madness inducing event will be frightening and not every scare will be potentially maddening.

jindra34
2012-03-29, 06:18 PM
GURPS 4th Powers kinda covers Madness as an alternate fright check thing. You might want to start there.

a_humble_lich
2012-03-29, 06:53 PM
I know this is not quite what you are looking for, but here are some more Official Fright Check modifications.

The 3rd edition book GURPS CthulhuPunk (basically a Cyberpunk/Call of Cthulhu world) treats this somewhat. Basically it is just an addition to the Fright Check system with some modifications to make Mythos related Fright checks much more difficult.

Another addition that can be used is the optional rule from GURPS Horror (or at least my really old 3rd edition version) is that every time a Fright check is failed you get a cumulative -1 penalty on all future Fright checks. Nice GMs might allow that penalty to go away after some time.

Mewtarthio
2012-03-30, 12:45 PM
The new one has the same thing, only with recovery and a few other rules. Basically, failed fright checks give you a stress penalty to future fright checks, and too much stress adds a derangement penalty that's harder to get rid of. Too much derangement gives you semi-permanent disadvantages (though there are rules for psychiatric treatment). Also, Cthulhu et al go straight to derangement.

It's also got corruption rules for getting twisted by extended exposure to the Forces of Darkness(tm).

Epsilon Rose
2012-03-31, 06:59 PM
The new one has the same thing, only with recovery and a few other rules. Basically, failed fright checks give you a stress penalty to future fright checks, and too much stress adds a derangement penalty that's harder to get rid of. Too much derangement gives you semi-permanent disadvantages (though there are rules for psychiatric treatment). Also, Cthulhu et al go straight to derangement.

It's also got corruption rules for getting twisted by extended exposure to the Forces of Darkness(tm).

Are the corruption rules also in horror?