PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Alchemical Lich

Zubrowka74
2012-03-27, 02:46 PM
I'm about to start DMing a Pathfinder campaign in a homebrewed setting. I'm planning some stuff ahead, among them some of the higher level villains the group might have to deal with.

I wanted something different and I was toying with the idea of an evil alchemist. Since the technology level is pretty low in my setting, I drifted toward an alchemically fueled Lich. Since on of the old-school way of becomming a lich involved brewing and ingesting a toxic concoction, I saw potential even though the alchemist doesn't really cast any spells.

How could this be achieved ?

A quick search yielded the following thread on Paizo's board :

http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/advice/alchemistLich&source=rss

While it raises the right question, the answers aren't exactly satisfying.

Of course, being the DM I could just rule that it exist. I am a fan of mechanic-defying fluff like Ravenloft. But I'd like to keep it as close to RAW / RAI as possible.

I get it that this will require several feats, perhaps some scrolls for the phylactery ? And what would be nice extras ? What does the playground think about this ?

Otomodachi
2012-03-27, 03:15 PM
Well, I can tell you that in second edition, one of the Ravenloft-specific monster books (Monstrous Compendium Appendix 1&2?) had pretty much a GAGGLE of lich variants. I can vouch for a psionic one; I can vouch for an elemental one; I don't recall alchemical, one way or the other. There is some precedent for non-standard paths to lich-hood.

Stone Heart
2012-03-27, 05:35 PM
Well you could go with Mummification (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/discoveries/paizo---alchemist-discoveries/mummification-ex) discovery followed by the grand discovery Eternal Youth. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/discoveries/paizo---alchemist-grand-discoveri/eternal-youth)

Eternal youth does not have the text saying that he still dies when he reaches his time (unlike the Monk's ability where he stops aging) and you could also have the character in question reach the oldest age category before having the discovery take effect as it removes all age penalties as well.

Other than that you could apply the lich template as you would any other caster.

Zubrowka74
2012-03-28, 08:59 AM
Well, I can tell you that in second edition, one of the Ravenloft-specific monster books (Monstrous Compendium Appendix 1&2?) had pretty much a GAGGLE of lich variants.

Appendix 1 has only the Bardic Lich if I recall correctly. And even then, that was not anything mechanical, the simply blocked a lightning bolt with an arcane tome. Everything is explained by fluff only.

Other than that you could apply the lich template as you would any other caster.

Yeah, I would like to avoid just applying the template. It doesnt make a very organic character.

Otomodachi
2012-03-28, 09:29 AM
You're right; it's RMC Appendix THREE: Creatures of Darkness according to wikipedia. It has deflier, drow, psionic and elemental liches.

Zubrowka74
2012-03-28, 09:33 AM
It has deflier, drow, psionic and elemental liches.

Classes and fluff from every D&D settings : that's what I like about RL :D

Zubrowka74
2012-04-05, 11:47 AM
Since the lich doesn't have a digestive tract anymore, can the extracts still be drunk ? And would mutagens affect an undead ?

Mike_the_Mystic
2012-04-06, 04:27 PM
I would fluff it as a cadaver with tubes containing various chemicals coursing through them coming out of its body. While the being isn't alive as a normal person would be, it sure as hell isn't dead.The chemicals coursing through its veins allow it to preform various extraordinary feats, from breathing fire, to becoming a behemoth of dead flesh and metal.

Or something like that.