PDA

View Full Version : To Hell and Back

Dsurion
2012-03-27, 07:35 PM
I enjoy Diablo. I enjoy D&D. The Diablo books written for AD&D (The Awakening) and 3rd edition (Diablerie, To Hell and Back) look like something I'd be interested in playing. Does anyone have any experiences with these books they'd like to share?

Ernir
2012-03-27, 07:50 PM
The Diablerie is woefully out of date when compared to the rest of third edition. If you are used to running a game that actually uses the 3.5 rules, it is probably going to be rather frustrating.

I've found it easier to brew/reflavor my own monsters and encounters rather than using the ones presented in the book.

rollforeigninit
2012-03-27, 10:17 PM
The Diablerie is woefully out of date when compared to the rest of third edition. If you are used to running a game that actually uses the 3.5 rules, it is probably going to be rather frustrating.

I've found it easier to brew/reflavor my own monsters and encounters rather than using the ones presented in the book.

Seconded. That being said you can use it as a starting point so you don't feel 100% lost. It's basically proto-3rd edition rules so lots of work is needed. Some of it was so bad that it was totally unusable.

Dsurion
2012-03-27, 11:21 PM
Seconded. That being said you can use it as a starting point so you don't feel 100% lost. It's basically proto-3rd edition rules so lots of work is needed. Some of it was so bad that it was totally unusable.Such as? White text is white.

rollforeigninit
2012-03-28, 07:11 AM
I'll drag the book to me today & see if I can remember. I haven't looked it it for a decade or so.........

rollforeigninit
2012-04-01, 03:05 PM
Okay sorry it took so long to get back. The book was at my brother's house. To Hell & Back is kinda meh. It's useable but, as I mentioned it's EARLY 3.0 stuff. The monsters are feat-gimped comapred to PC's etc. The real problems are with the diabliere stuff. It's not bad if you don't mix it with other books but as soon as you include them the classes (especially paladin) become terribad. many of their abilities are full round actions or partial (move) actions making full attacks impossible. Also the abilites are just plain weak compared to what ya can get with a standard character. With some work they should all be useable though. It's a matter of converting everything over to whatever ya use.