PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Grease questions

macdaddy
2012-03-27, 09:38 PM
I am trying to figure out how the grease spell works and how it interacts with the balance skill. Believe it or not, I have never used the spell, and am only now starting to see how useful it is. I just want to make sure I am using it correctly and not cheating.

Basics:
1. When the spell is cast, anyone in the area of effect must make a reflex save or fall prone.
2. On the casters turn for each subsequent round, anyone in the area of effect must make a reflex save or fall prone.
3. Anyone can move in/through the area of effect at 1/2 speed if they succeed at a difficulty 10 balance check (-5 to the check for full speed). If they fail, they cannot move that round and must make a reflex save or fall prone. If they fail by 5 or more, they fall prone without a reflex save.
4. If they have less than 5 ranks in balance, they are flat footed while balancing, and lose their dex bonus to AC. 5 or more ranks removes being flat footed, but they are still balancing.
5. If they are hit while balancing, they must make a balance check at a DC of the damage dealt to avoid falling.

Questions:
1. Do you need to make a balance check to stand up from prone? If so, where is this specified? It appears that anyone can stand up without problem, which doesn't make much sense.
2. If you attempt to stand up, but fail, does this still provoke an AoO? or does that only happen if you succeed at standing?
3. If you are prone, you are denied your dex bonus, correct?
4. You can crawl out of the area of effect, provoking attacks of opportunity, but what is someones crawl speed?

For a 1st level spell, its actually quite complicated.

Answerer
2012-03-27, 09:58 PM
I am trying to figure out how the grease spell works and how it interacts with the balance skill. Believe it or not, I have never used the spell, and am only now starting to see how useful it is. I just want to make sure I am using it correctly and not cheating.

Basics:
1. When the spell is cast, anyone in the area of effect must make a reflex save or fall prone.
2. On the casters turn for each subsequent round, anyone in the area of effect must make a reflex save or fall prone.
3. Anyone can move in/through the area of effect at 1/2 speed if they succeed at a difficulty 10 balance check (-5 to the check for full speed). If they fail, they cannot move that round and must make a reflex save or fall prone. If they fail by 5 or more, they fall prone without a reflex save.
4. If they have less than 5 ranks in balance, they are flat footed while balancing, and lose their dex bonus to AC. 5 or more ranks removes being flat footed, but they are still balancing.
5. If they are hit while balancing, they must make a balance check at a DC of the damage dealt to avoid falling.
All correct, except that I think the second save for those still in the area happens on their turn. Not honestly quite sure about that, though.

Questions:
1. Do you need to make a balance check to stand up from prone? If so, where is this specified? It appears that anyone can stand up without problem, which doesn't make much sense.
You... probably shouldn't expect the rules to be making too much sense. No, there is no penalty beyond the usual (fairly harsh) penalties for standing: it takes a Move action, and they provoke an Attack of Opportunity.

2. If you attempt to stand up, but fail, does this still provoke an AoO? or does that only happen if you succeed at standing?
There's no direct mechanism for failure, so N/A?

3. If you are prone, you are denied your dex bonus, correct?
Sadly, no. So yes, in some cases, you want them to succeed on their saves/checks. Which is weird, but again, rules and sense are only tangentially related. At least in this case, it's good for balance...

4. You can crawl out of the area of effect, provoking attacks of opportunity, but what is someones crawl speed?
5 ft. as a Move Action. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#crawling) (you'll have to scroll up slightly because of the overhanging thing).

For a 1st level spell, its actually quite complicated.
Don't forget, you can also target objects! You've only covered the area version. Note that the object version itself has two different versions: one for hand-held items and another for worn items. \o/

This is kind of the wizard's schtick: needlessly complicated, but stupidly powerful if you understand it.

Yuukale
2012-03-28, 08:50 AM
and now, I just had a sudden insight: target the BBEG's shoes. if you stand close to him you won't be in the grease area and the BBEG will never leave it as long as the spell is active.

lorddrake
2012-03-28, 10:15 AM
and now, I just had a sudden insight: target the BBEG's shoes. if you stand close to him you won't be in the grease area and the BBEG will never leave it as long as the spell is active.

I think his shoes would just slip out of his feet. Unless it is a pair of magic boots, it won't accomplish much.