PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a new powerful possible character?

Saraneth
2012-03-27, 10:18 PM
Hello Everyone,

I've been playing dnd (3.5) for about 7 months once a week. I play a druid, and I have been having fun with it. I am by far the most powerful in my group, who is lacking damage overall. Most of the people in the group are newer players. We're going to be introducing a couple of new people in the group and to help work them into the story (and for practice) the dm is going to run a couple of separate dnd sessions with me and them.

For my help, my dm has given me the option to role a new character during these couple of practice sessions to try it out, and when this is done I can choose if I want to continue using my druid, or the new character. (We're starting at level 10, and looking at prestige classes as well, because that's where everyone else is at)

Basically, I'm looking for a fun new character to play that does powerful damage, preferably some type of spellcaster. There are SO MANY options out there! Any ideas? (not looking to play a lawful character)

I've been thinking about possibly a warlock?

Thanks!!! :smallsmile:

Kuulvheysoon
2012-03-27, 10:25 PM
Warlock... isn't that great, really.

Beguiler could be fun for you, if you've never tried it. One of the few classes WORTH going to 20 for, IMO.

hivedragon
2012-03-27, 10:29 PM
non-lawful spellcaster? Wlidmage (CAr) goes good with practised spellcaster

NOhara24
2012-03-27, 10:29 PM
Artificier would be a good choice as well.

Madara
2012-03-27, 10:31 PM
Dread Necromancer?

Or cleric+Early entry Master of Shrouds

You'd debuff, and have minions to take the damage instead of your party.

rollforeigninit
2012-03-27, 10:32 PM
Warlocks aren't quite the damage dealer's they seem to be at 1st glance. Apparently they can go hellfire warlock (whatever that is) to get better but it's probably still sub-caster. You want a blasty kind of caster then wizard or sorc are probably your best bets. Direct damage is strictly speaking, sub- opt but I like it myself. If you really want to annoy with masive spell damage I'd recommend looking up the mailman. It's about as much raw damage as you will see. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19868534/The_Mailman:_A_Direct_Damage_Sorcerer
Sorry it's not a pretty link, my brain ist tired tonight.

Elric VIII
2012-03-27, 10:36 PM
I recommend taking The Mailman (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19868534/The_Mailman:_A_Direct_Damage_Sorcerer) and scaling it back to the power level you desire. This build can deal over 1000 damage in a round. So, with some tweaking, you should be able to easily reach the desired damage output to fit with the group.

My recommendation is to keep the Twin/Arcane Spellsurge/Arcane Fusion, but ditch the Mazimize, Empower, Celerity, and Occular Spell. With this setup you can fling a bunch of spells around (either spreading them out or focusing one person), while not achieving the ridiculousness of full-blown Mailman.

Saraneth
2012-03-28, 03:46 PM
Wow, thanks for the suggestions! Yeah, I wasn't really sure about how good a warlock was, which is why the info is greatly appreciated. I'm going to check them out! :smallwink:

IdleMuse
2012-03-28, 04:16 PM
Don't play a TO build like the Mailman in a real game unless the DM really understands its capabilities. Point out to him/her where the rules abuses are, in case they want to cut them. Like, basically every DM I've ever played with (including myself) rules Arcane Thesis to work as _intended_, cutting a slice off the Mailman's power.