PDA

View Full Version : Harbinger of War - Thread 2 [4E] [IC]

Emongnome777
2012-03-28, 07:38 AM
Links:
First IC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180275)
First OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180270)
These are dark days in the Nentir Vale.

War is approaching and not just from the Bloodspear orcs who are making their presence known around the region. These are the same Bloodspears that almost conquered the whole vale almost 80 years ago. Word has come that enemies from all sides are making moves that threaten the independence of the Vale and its citizens. The only hope seems to be centered around an artifact the Bloodspears are searching for. An artifact that united the orc tribes against the Vale. An artifact now lost to history. Until now.

Five individuals have taken upon themselves the burden of finding the four pieces of the mighty Bloodspear before the orcs and their allies do. These heroes are now underneath the keep known now as Kobold Hall, though kobolds are nowhere to be found. Instead, orcs have taken over the place and appear to be using it as a base of operation, keeping weapons and food in the barracks-like dungeon level of the keep.

While eliminating orcs can only benefit the Vale, this is not why our heroes are here. Instead, a loathsome individual named Tavik is their target. He has stolen some writings that may contain critical information about the Bloodspear. Having recovered two of the four pieces, the heroes are trying to learn about the locations of the other two while they keep that same information out of the hands of those that are allied with the Bloodspear tribe.

Will the heroes succeed in recovering the final two pieces of the Bloodspear before the orcs get to them? Even if they recover the Bloodspear, is it enough to prevent war coming to the Vale?

These dark days are a harbinger of war.

Meltheim
2012-03-28, 11:08 AM
Ryleos

Looking around at the beds and chests for each of the orcs, Ryleos mutters to himself (and to Lotharos, if he's in earshot), "now this is a room we could burn ..."

Shaking his head and wrinkling his nose, he examines the room a bit more closely. Noticing the obvious gap between the beds, Ryleos nods his head toward them with a "eh?" kind of look on his face, suggesting they might want to check it out.

"Keep that banner of yours handy, priest. Another encounter like that last might prove fatal. Based on the number of beds in here, it looks like we're nowhere near finished."
I'm going to try and search the obvious gap in the beds to see if there's a trap of any kind, and if there's some sort of hidden door. Also, quick count of how many we've killed vs how many beds, and if any of the beds appear more ornate/larger (suggesting a more important person).

Hunter's Focus (gives me +5 to perception checks)

Perception on beds (quantity/quality): [roll0]
Perception on wall (traps/door): [roll1]

Dungeoneering (to get an idea of what other areas we have to explore): [roll2]

Emongnome777
2012-03-28, 12:02 PM
Ryleos
1) Dungeoneering - Given the layout down here and what you saw of the former keep above ground, it doesn't appear that there is anything left to search, at least relating to how it was originally constructed. The outside walls in the dungeon are in the same approximate location as the outer walls outside. This does assume that the dungeon was the same size as the keep, but it's a reasonable assumption given how most are designed.

2) Perception on beds - A quick count shows there are at least 100 beds here, far more than the number of orcs you have fought so far (25 or so, I think). Also, in the eastern end, you can tell that about eight or so cots there are a little bigger and nicer.

3) Perception on wall - In between the two cots, you can clearly see that the stone used on the wall does not quite match the rest of the older stone. Given the shape and size, it is quite plainly a secret door. Checking the door does not reveal any traps, but the door is locked. There is a small hole in the wall beside the door that probably opens the door.

Meltheim
2012-03-28, 12:16 PM
Ryleos

With a low whistle, Ryleos finishes his count of the cots. "Definitely more work to do in here."

Turning back to the wall, he runs his fingers along the stone, hoping to find a small opening or crack that he can level open. Finding a small hole, Ryleos calls to the others, "Looks like some sort of keyhole, though I don't know what kind of key would fit. Lotharos - think your little friend could 'lend a hand'?" Ryleos asks, barely hiding the smirk at his bad pun.

Hircine
2012-03-28, 02:30 PM
Rithrin T'sarran

The drow plops down on one of the cots attempting to savor the parties brief reprieve. He takes off his traveling pack and removes the small ornate box tucked carefully within. Gently opening the box, he removes the gold necklace held within and inspects it carefully. Firmly gripping the antique necklace, Rithrin remembers what he is fighting for.

I swear that whatever these orcs and their foul masters want with the Bloodspear will never come to fruition. I will do everything within my power to ensure that no more settlements will fall at the hands of their evil.

Rithrin carefully sits the heirloom back into the box and places it back into his bag. He jumps up ready to continue.

Locklear
2012-03-28, 04:00 PM
Timm

Timm walks over to the lock, brushing the hand away casually, and gives Ryleos a questioning and irritated look. He kneels at the key hole, bringing it to eye level and sets about working at it with his hands and his dagger.

Thievery Check: [roll0]

Emongnome777
2012-03-28, 05:12 PM
After several moments, the rogue finally picks the lock. The stone door slides open effortlessly.

Looking inside, you see that the door leads into a cave tunnel to the north. Around 20 feet in, it seems to turn to the east. There are lit torches in sconces spaced evenly inside.

Timm
Your first try failed, but for the sake of expediency, I rolled some more for you until you succeeded. You were close, but not quite.

Meltheim
2012-03-28, 06:03 PM
Ryleos

The eladrin looks embarassed and bows respectfully to Timm. "My apologies, I went for the joke and disrespected your talents." Unslinging his bow from over his shoulder, Ryleos steps near the open door, grimacing. "I dislike caves even more than dungeons."

Ridai
2012-03-29, 11:52 AM
Karas stops shining from his sword and form, rolling his shoulders and stretching a little before entering the cave on point with Rithrin. "All in a day's work." No time to stop now.

Meltheim
2012-03-29, 11:58 AM
Ryleos

With a sigh, Ryleos follows the party into the tunnel, his eyes and ears straining for any hint of what lies ahead.

Emongnome777
2012-04-02, 12:37 PM
Soon after the cave tunnel turns east, it begins sloping downward. Not too steep to traverse, but noticable nonetheless. Soon on your trip, you start to notice webs. Though sparse at first, the webs seem to get larger the deeper you go into the tunnel. After a total of 80 or so feet, the tunnel finally ends in a moderate-sized cavern. The webs are much thicker here, with them covering the whole cavern. Only a narrow path through the middle is clear enough to walk easily. The rest can be crossed, but with more effort. You approach a few feet in the cavern when you notice movement in the webs. Dozens (perhaps hundreds) of tiny spiders scurry about. From above, you can also see several larger spiders move about, staying mostly along the walls. Their deliberate movements indicate they know of your presence, though they haven't taken an aggressive action yet.

At the far east end of the cavern, you see what appears to be a small building. It is partially built into the walls of the cavern and the rest is made of cut stone. You see a light in the building through the only window on that side.

Locklear
2012-04-02, 01:48 PM
Timm

As Timm enters the cavern he looks around and when he sees the spiders' reaction, he becomes very calm. He drops a knee and opens his right hand to some of the spiders crawling on the webs.

DM

Timm has a symbol of Lolth tattooed on his right hand. He is at the moment hiding his hand from at least Ryleos if not also the others.
Stealth: [roll0]

Ridai
2012-04-04, 01:09 PM
Karas keeps an eye on the spiders as he approaches the small building, ready to blast the critters if they turn hostile.

Meltheim
2012-04-04, 01:15 PM
Ryleos

Ryleos sneers as he turns the corner and sees the spiders. Almost instantly the runes on his bow begin to hum gently, perceptable to any who can detect magic. Ryleos watches Timm crouch down but pays him no mind, instead using his enhanced vision to scan the room for any threats to the group.

Hircine
2012-04-04, 05:53 PM
Rithrin T'sarran

Rithrin draws his blade, glaring angrily at the arachnids as they crawl along their filthy webs.

Emongnome777
2012-04-05, 12:35 PM
As Karas approaches the web, some of the spiders move quickly to cover the pathway through to the building on the other side. Others move to each side at the edge of the web. They appear threatening, but haven't attacked yet.

Meltheim
2012-04-05, 01:26 PM
Ryleos

Speaking in low tones to the group, the Eladrin confesses, "I have no love for these spiders, and would relish in killing them." His fingers twitch on the bowstring, as if playing it like an instrument. "I would rather go around them than through them, but it seems that our quarry is likely in that building. Suggestions?"

Ridai
2012-04-06, 02:15 PM
"I have the feeling they wouldn't let us through even if there was another way..." Karas answers, taking a step back and planting the battle standard, just in case.

Locklear
2012-04-06, 02:22 PM
Timm

Timm stands apprehensively, now unhappy with his surroundings. "These spiders are acting differently to usual," he says with some confidence, "I doubt they will attack us here though the house seems a less safe position." Timm pauses a moment and surveys the surroundings again. "Lotharos, I don't suppose you have some sort of fire up that sleeve of yours to take care of the webs?"

Surrealistik
2012-04-09, 07:41 PM
Lotharos shakes his head at the query, seemingly startled, as if roused from deep thought.

"Hmm. I just might..."

The wizard raises a hand as if to request silence, carefully examining the webbing from a safe distance at the rear of the party.

Nature, Webbing (determine its properties): [roll0]
Nature, Monster Knowledge, Spiders: [roll1]

Ridai
2012-04-11, 02:53 PM
"If you have something in mind, I'd like to hear it. If not, no more time to waste."

Meltheim
2012-04-11, 03:38 PM
Ryleos

Ryleos snarls uncharacteristically, "These creatures are an abomination. Let's get this over with." and draws an arrow, preparing to fire at the nearest Spider.

Locklear
2012-04-11, 04:06 PM
Timm

Timm refrains from making a less than helpful remark about the Eladrin's prejudices. He draws his dagger and says "Yes, let's just get it over with."

Surrealistik
2012-04-11, 05:23 PM
Lotharos frowns and mutters to himself, apparently displeased as the conclusions he's drawn.

"Can't just set fire to the webbing; it's covered in protective resins. If we had some acid, we might be able to clear it out."

Shaking his head as if to dismiss the thought, he gestures back towards the cavern.

"Let's take up a formation there. They have enough clearance to pass over our heads, but only one at a time can really engage from the tunnel."

Once the party has grouped up, he takes aim at two of the spiders, shades coalescing to strike the chitinous vermin, forming an impromptu barrier against the pending onslaught.

Round #1:

Lotharos' Turn:

Standard Action: Grasping Shadows
Target:
Origin Square: AF7, Altitude 1
[roll0] vs S6's Will (+2 from CA)
[roll1] vs S7's Will (+2 from CA)
Damage: [roll2] psychic damage.
Hit Effects:
The target is slowed UENT (Lo-2).
Burst creates an area UENT (Lo-2). Enemies that enter the area take 5 psychic damage and are slowed UENT (Enemy-2).
Illusion Apprentice: The target takes a -2 penalty to its first attack roll against Lo, UENT (Lo-2).
Staff of Aversion: Lo gains a +2 item bonus to all defenses against the target UENT (Lo-2).

If it matters, the Grasping Shadows area is 3 squares tall: the origin square is 5 feet above ground level at AD5.

Stat Block:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/713896/DnD4e%20-%20Lotharos%20-%20Human%20Wizard%20L4.pdf Lotharos, Human Mage
THP: 0 HP 51/51 Bloodied 25 Surge Value: 12 Healing Surges: (7/7)
AC 19 Fort 17 Reflex 23 Will 20 Speed 6
Action Points: 0

Permanent Effects:
Staff of Aversion: +2 item bonus to defenses against enemies subject to my effects.
Staff of Charm and Sleep: +1 item bonus to arcane Charm attack rolls.
Orb of Forceful Magic: +1 item bonus to forced movement vs enemies.
Orb Expertise: +1 feat bonus to forced movement.
Disembodied Hand: Draw/sheath items as free action.

Conditions/Temporary Effects:

Power Points: 1/1

Non At-Will Powers:

Attacks:

Evil Eye of the Vistani [ ]
Grasping Shadows [X]
Charm of Misplaced Wrath [ ]

Arcane Whirlwind [ ]
Web [X]

Utilities:

Suggestion [ ]
Spook [ ]
Chameleon's Mask [ ]

Adept's Insight [ ]
Heroic Effort [ ]
Glib Tongue [ ]
Emerald Eye [ ]

Item Powers:

Flowform Armor [ ]

Emongnome777
2012-04-13, 10:16 AM
COMBAT ROUND 1

Battle Log
S1
Death from Above (shifts to AB4) misses Rithrin
Shifts to AC4

S2
Death from Above (shift to AB6) hits Timm for 19 damage, Timm is prone and is slowed and O5 poison damage (save ends both)
Shifts to AC6

Timm
Takes 5 ongoing poison damage
Flashy Riposte hits S2 for 37 damage and S2 grants CA EoNT (Ti-2)
Stands up
Deft Strike (moves to AB6) hits S2 for 12 damage
Succeeds on save vs poison

Lotharos
Grasping Shadows (centered on AF7) hits S6 & S7 for 13 psychic damage, slowed EoNT (Lo-2), burst creates zone EoNT (Lo-2), takes a -2 penalty to its first attack roll against Lo, EoNT (Lo-2), Lo gains a +2 item bonus to all defenses against the target UENT (Lo-2).

Ryleos
Hunter's Quarry on S1
Activates Hunter's Focus
Twin Strike hits S1 for 18 damage and S5 for 10 damage

Rithrin
Aegis of Assault on S1
*Delay 1* Booming Blade hits S4 for 12 damage

Karas
*Delay 2* Blessing of Battle hits S1 for 9 radiant damage, Karas gains R3 All EoNT (Ka-2)

S3
Death from Above (shifts to AB4) hits Rithrin for 17 damage, Rithrin is prone and is slowed and O5 poison damage (save ends both)
Shifts to AB3

S4
*Delay 1*
Shifts to AC3

S5
Death from Above (shifts to AC6) misses Timm
Shifts to AB7

S6
Moves to AE6
Death from Above (shifts to AC6) misses Timm

S7
Moves to AE7
Death from Above (shifts to AC7) misses Timm

S8
Moves to AC5
Bite misses Timm

Emongnome777
2012-04-13, 10:18 AM
The two nearest spiders leap into the air, attacking Rithrin and Timm respectively. The first misses the shifty drow, but the second latches onto Timm, biting him painfully on the neck before bringing him down to the cave floor. Timm can feel the poison coarsing through him, hindering his movements. Both spiders hop backwards back into the web.

Locklear
2012-04-13, 11:16 AM
Timm

As he falls to the ground, Timm swings out at the Spider viciously. Pulling himself back to his feet, his head swimming as he does, he steps forwards and again swings at the foul beast.

Immediate Reaction
Flashy Riposte on S2: [roll0] vs AC; Damage [roll1] Get CA for everyone until EoNT(Ti) on Hit
Move
Stand up
Standard
Deft Strike on S2: Move to AB6; [roll2]; Damage [roll3]
Save
Save vs Poison: [roll4]

Meltheim
2012-04-13, 05:21 PM
Ryleos

Seeing that the wizard's plans are in place, Ryleos begins his systematic destruction of the enemy. His arrows are more than happy to find a home in spider flesh.

Minor: Hunter's Quarry on S1

Minor: Hunter's Focus (+2 to ranged attacks until EoMNT)

Standard: Twin Strike on S1 and S5 (one attack each)

Attack S1: [roll0] vs AC
Hit S1: [roll1] damage

Attack S5: [roll2] vs AC
Hit S5: [roll3] damage

Hunter's Quarry on S1: [roll4] damage

Hircine
2012-04-15, 12:09 PM
Rithrin T'sarran

Rithrin stands his ground as the spiders attack to defend their territory. He points his blade towards the arachnids just daring them to attack. The drow hones in on one of the creatures linking himself to it.

Minor: Aegis of Assault on S1

Standard: Ready Booming Blade against any enemy that moves adjacent to Rithrin.

Ridai
2012-04-15, 03:21 PM
"Lotharos, do me a favor and bunch 'em up real tight. And somewhere I can reach 'em." With that, Karas readies himself to strike the first spider that comes close to him.

Bunched up so he can reach reach most or all spiders with both a close burst 2 and a close blast 3, that is.

Karas ignites his sword and readies Blessing of Battle against the first spider that comes into reach.
[roll0] vs. AC
Hit: [roll1] radiant damage
Effect: Karas receives resist 3 all until the end of his next turn.

Emongnome777
2012-04-19, 08:14 PM
The spiders outside the grasping shadows leap into and away from the group, trying to bite and bring down whoever is closest. Two attack Rithrin with one finding a gap in the drow's armor at the neck. Several go after Timm, but the sly human is too agile for the leaping spiders.

Emongnome777
2012-04-19, 08:23 PM
COMBAT ROUND 2

Battle Log
TA
Missile Barrage misses Karas and Timm
Uses Action Point
Winter's Blast (Burst 2, centered on AA5) misses Karas, hits Lotharos, Rithrin, Ryleos & Timm (and hand) for 16 cold damage and is immobilized EoNT (TA-2). The area becomes difficult terrain for the duration of the encounter.

S1
*Ready 2*

Ryleos
Hunter's Focus
Two-Fanged Strike hits Tavik for 37 damage
Uses Action Point
Splintering Shot hits Tavik for 43 damage, Tavik takes -2 to hit EoE

Karas
Solar Enemy causes all enemies in burst 2 V5 radiant EoNT (Ka-3)
Shining Symbol hits S5, S6, S7, S8 for 19 radiant damage, -2 to attack EoNT (Ka-3)
Healing Word heals Timm 25 hit points, +3 thp, +2 to all defenses SoNT (Ka-3), everyone else gets 3 hp back (Rithrin gets 2 more), Timm has the choice between shifting 1 square or gaining +2 to AC and Reflex until SoNT (Ti-3)

Lotharos
Carnage & Destruction (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13102089)

Timm
Healing Surge heals 13 hit points
Riposte Strike hits S3 for 25 damage

Rithrin
Nothing (still immobilized)

S4
Double move straight up

Emongnome777
2012-04-19, 08:36 PM
As the spiders leap around, you see a human man leave the stone building to the east. With staff in hand, he says, "for Lloth's sake, what's going... Ahh, I see," he adds when he recognizes the group. "I'm impressed. You obviously defeated my team and tracked me here. Since you don't seem the type to be easily swayed into joining sides with me, I'll just have to kill you." With an apathetic shrug, he lifts up his staff and with an arcane incantation, he unleashes two bolts of energy at Timm and Karas (both flying high) and immediately follows it up with a burst of icy terrain underneath the group's feet, making the whole area dangerous to move. Only Karas is unharmed by the icy stalagmites.

Surrealistik
2012-04-19, 09:39 PM
Though the torrent of scourging ice causes Lotharos to recoil in agony, a sneer halfway between contempt and triumph soon parts his frostbitten lips, eyes regarding Tavik with naked rancor.

"Ryleos, silence that pathetic mageling if you would be so kind; I'm afraid I've more important matters to attend to."

He then looks over the remainder of his frozen companions, tersely assessing their state before continuing.

"As for everyone else, get your hits in while you can; for my next trick, I will make all of his miserable pets... disappear."

Meltheim
2012-04-19, 10:54 PM
Ryleos

The Eladrin sneers as he draws a black-tipped arrow from his bow.

"Gladly"

Using Onslaught Arrow +1
Effect: When I hit with this arrow, each ally who can see the enemy gains +1 to attack rolls until EOMNT

Minor: Hunter's Focus
Effect: Gives me +5 to Perception and +2 to Ranged Attacks until EOMNT. Also I ignore penalties for partial cover and partial concealment

Standard: Two-Fanged Strike vs Tavik (2 attacks)

Attack 1: [roll0] vs AC
Hit 1: [roll1] damage
Miss Effect: If I miss, I gain +1 bonus on my next attack.
Hit Effect: If I hit, I gain +2 bonus to damage on my next hit

Attack 2: [roll2] vs AC
Hit 2: [roll3] damage )+2 = 17)

ACTION POINT

Standard: Splintering Shot vs Tavik

Attack: [roll4] vs AC
Hit: [roll5] damage (+2=43), and Tavik takes -2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of the encounter
Miss: 1/2 damage, and Tavik takes -1 penalty to attack rolls until the end of the encounter

Ridai
2012-04-20, 07:50 AM
Karas manages to protect himself from the freezing cold with his shield, shrugging off the rest as he swings at the closest spider, almost killing it.

With the spiders nicely clustered up, the warpriest uses the opportunity to make a lot of critters' lives very miserable, marking and then blasting them with divine energy. With a quick motion, Karas closes some of Timm's wounds (and thus also of the group in total).

Readied attack against S1, doing 9 damage (see last post).

Minor Solar Enemy
Effect: Every enemy within close burst 2 receives vulnerable 5 radiant until Karas' EoNT.

Standard Shining Symbol, close blast 3 targetting enemies on AB5-AD7.
[roll0] vs. S5's Will
[roll1] vs. S6's Will
[roll2] vs. S7's Will
[roll3] vs. S8's Will
Hit: [roll4] radiant damage and -2 to attack rolls until Karas' EoNT

Minor Healing Word on Timm
Effect: Timm spends a surge and regains [roll5] HP, gains 3 THP and +2 to all defenses until Karas' SoNT. He has the choice between shifting 1 square or gaining +2 to AC and Reflex until his SoNT. In addition, everyone regains 3 HP (Battle Standard), with Rithrin regaining another 2 HP.

Surrealistik
2012-04-20, 10:30 AM
"And now Tavik, comes the grand finale; you will not be missed."

Lotharos thrusts his orb high above his head, core crackling, and seething with violet lightning like a roiling storm, arcs streaking out in every direction, bounding off the cavern walls in a shower of sparks, leaving scorch marks where they pass. A baleful eye materializes and peers out from that maelstrom, transfixing Tavik with the scornful glare of its spurning master. Self destructive impulses suddenly seize the wizard's mind, compelling him forth through biting shadows into the frozen destruction he had wrought. There he is made to strike himself with a withering blast of magic as Lotharos' allies fall upon him in an opportunistic clash of steel.

When the assault has concluded, a violent whirlwind gathers about the spiders that mirrors the centre of Lotharos' sphere, whipping about chunks of ice, casting loose several stalagmites, howling as it passes through nearby webs, causing them to shudder and shake. Soon, it becomes a crescendo of turbulent violence, the air churned to deafening speeds, passage of debris cutting like razors, laying waste to the spiders within, condemning them to the hungry shades beyond.

Round #2:

Lotharos' Turn:

Minor Action: Emerald Eye
Target: Tavik
Effect: Lotharos gains a +2 power bonus to his Will attack rolls vs Tavik until the end of his next turn.

Standard Action: Charm of Misplaced Wrath
Target:
[roll0] vs TA's Will (+2 from Emerald Eye, +4 from Heroic Effort, +3 from Adept's Insight; total 25 vs Will)
Hit Effects:
The target is dazed UENT (Lo-3).
The target is slid 7 squares to AB5 (pinging twice in the Grasping Shadows for 10 psychic damage).
Effects:
Tavik uses a ranged basic attack against himself with combat advantage and a +2 bonus to the damage roll. This provokes attacks from Rithrin, Karas and Timm.
Beguiling Enchanter: The target takes a -2 penalty to its attack rolls against Lo, UENT (Lo-2).
Staff of Aversion: Lo gains a +2 item bonus to all defenses against the target UENT (Lo-2).

Free Action: Heroic Effort
Effect: +4 to Charm of Misplaced Wrath's attack roll.

Free Action: Adept's Insight, Augment 1 vs Tavik
Effect: +3 to Charm of Misplaced Wrath's attack roll (see OOC).

Opportunity Attacks vs Tavik:

Timm:
Attack: [roll1] vs AC
Damage: [roll2] + [roll3]

Rithrin:
[roll4] vs AC
[roll5] damage.

Karas:
[roll6] vs AC
[roll7] damage.

Free Action: Use an action point.

Standard Action: Arcane Whirlwind
Target:
[roll8] vs TA's Reflex (+2 from CA, dazed, +1 from Ryleos for 30 total)
[roll9] vs S3's Reflex (+2 from Lucky Charm, total 16)
[roll10] vs S4's Reflex
[roll11] vs S1's Reflex
[roll12] vs S8's Reflex
[roll13] vs S6's Reflex
[roll14] vs S5's Reflex
[roll15] vs S7's Reflex
31 vs Timm's Reflex (see OOC)
Damage: [roll16] (half damage, 6, on a miss)
Hit Effects:
The target is slid 3 squares:
S3 is slid to AB5.
S4 and S8 are slid into Grasping Shadows (AF6, and AE7 respectively) for 5 psychic damage, killing S8.
Timm is slid to AC6.
Effects:
The burst creates a zone that lasts UENT (Lo-3).
As a minor action, I can slide one creature in the zone 3 squares.
As a move action, I can move the zone 6 squares.

Sustain Minor: The effect persists UENT. Slide one creature in the zone 3 squares.

No Action: Lucky Charm
Effect: +2 to Arcane Whirlwind attack roll vs S3 (see OOC).

Minor Action: Slide S4 3 squares via Arcane Whirlwind, pinging Grasping Shadows for 5 psychic damage.

Stat Block:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/713896/DnD4e%20-%20Lotharos%20-%20Human%20Wizard%20L4.pdf Lotharos, Human Mage
THP: 0 HP 38/51 Bloodied 25 Surge Value: 12 Healing Surges: (7/7)
AC 19 Fort 17 Reflex 23 Will 20 Speed 6
Action Points: 0

Permanent Effects:
Staff of Aversion: +2 item bonus to defenses against enemies subject to my effects.
Staff of Charm and Sleep: +1 item bonus to arcane Charm attack rolls.
Orb of Forceful Magic: +1 item bonus to forced movement vs enemies.
Orb Expertise: +1 feat bonus to forced movement.
Disembodied Hand: Draw/sheath items as free action.

Conditions/Temporary Effects:

Power Points: 0/1

Non At-Will Powers:

Attacks:

Evil Eye of the Vistani [ ]
Grasping Shadows [X]
Charm of Misplaced Wrath [X]

Arcane Whirlwind [X]
Web [X]

Utilities:

Suggestion [ ]
Spook [ ]
Chameleon's Mask [ ]

Adept's Insight [X]
Heroic Effort [X]
Glib Tongue [ ]
Emerald Eye [X]

Item Powers:

Flowform Armor [ ]
Lucky Charm [X]

Locklear
2012-04-20, 03:17 PM
Timm

Timm feels his ankles stiffen before he can take in the what Tavik says, followed by the healing hands of Karas then is battered by Lotharos's magic. He regains his wits and tries to summon some strength from within him. He then swings frantically at the spider.

Standard
Second Wind Heals 13
AP - Standard
Riposte Strike on S3: [roll0] vs AC; Damage [roll1] ; Sneak Attack [roll2] If attacked before SoNT Attack STR vs AC for [W]

Hircine
2012-04-20, 08:57 PM
Rithrin T'sarran

Rithrin closes in on the final spider. He then points his blade towards the spider. A ring of flickering purple light surrounds the arachnid.

Move: Move to AG.
Minor: Use Darkfire against S4 Intelligence vs Reflex
Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage: [4]
When you hit a target with your darkfire
racial power and you are wielding an implement
usable by your arcane class, your darkfire also deals
damage to that target equal to twice the implement's
enhancement bonus.

The spider barely clings to life as the halo of light vanishes.

Emongnome777
2012-04-21, 09:07 PM
The cavern is a mess. Dead spiders are everywhere (including hundreds of the smaller, "normal" variety). The webbing, once intricately formed, lies mostly in tatters. Tavik's body lies before you, a shocked expression still etched on his face.

The last spider leaps up above the building and, despite moving slowly and painfully, manages to escape into a crevice in the wall.

Experience has been updated and everyone's 7th level!

Ridai
2012-04-22, 05:04 AM
"Hmm," Karas emits while patching the group back up and taking the battle standard with him, slightly impressed that it isn't damaged at all. "That went better than expected." Close calls seem to become increasingly rare. All the more reason to stay on guard. What follows is taking whatever is useful/important from Tavik's body and investigating the "house".

Locklear
2012-04-22, 09:04 AM
Timm

Timm frees himself from the ice, shudering slightly. He then walks about the battlefield and throws the large spider corpses back into the webs to the sides of the path. When he is finished he follows Karas as he inspects Tavik and the "house".

Meltheim
2012-04-22, 09:15 AM
Ryleos

Ryleos recovers a few arrows and puts them back in his quiver. He makes a mental note about how easily he was able to damage the wizard, and hopes to apply that to future attacks.

Having never even made it into the room, he finds it all too unnerving with the amount of webbing. Following the others into the house, he searches for information as well as any useful trinkets the arcanist might have.

[roll0]

Surrealistik
2012-04-23, 02:43 PM
Lotharos pants and heaves, doubled over with exertion in the aftermath of the fight as he dismisses his jarring storm, contrails of arcane energy and howling winds syncopating to echos and ominous silence. Staggering backwards, he ambles into a slouch against those cavern walls untouched by rapidly melting ice, taking a moment to recoup. After the passage of several moments motionless against the rough-hewn stone, the wizard lifts his head, breathing slowing to its usual silent regularity.

Peering about the somber interior with notable weariness, he heads off to Tavak's impromptu study, attempting to aid in its search, though the mage is clumsy with fatigue, hindering Ryleos physically whilst his psionic influence sharpens the Eladrin's senses in fortunate contrast.

Perception: Aid Another, Ryleos [roll0]

Adept's Insight, Augment 1: +4 (see OOC) to Ryleos' perception check. Net +3 for a final 35 Perception roll.

Hircine
2012-04-23, 03:06 PM
Rithrin T'sarran - Drow Swordmage

Rithrin sheathes his blade with a rather surprised look on his face. He is uneasy with how easily Tavik and his spider minions went down. He dismisses the thought as he moves to assist the others search of the madman's study.

Perception Roll:
[roll0]

Emongnome777
2012-04-24, 08:37 PM
The chaotic scene in the cavern is completely contrasted by the perfectly-organized stone "hut" that Tavik apparently called home. The sparsely-furnished home has only two small rooms: A bed and small table mark the bedroom and a desk and chair identifies his study. Among his basic possessions are some rations, a few changes of clothing and some papryus and ink on his desk. Also on the desk are the documents he stole from Nimozaran's tower. The scrolls are still rolled up and the books are closed. Several are still in the chest on the floor with only a few of the others on his desk. Even those appear to be neatly arranged, as if he was preparing to read them through. From Ryleos' memory, he seems to have out the later materials, while the earlier notes are stored neatly in the chest.

Meltheim
2012-04-24, 09:58 PM
Ryleos

"Well, this appears to be everything. Like I said when we first met, I didn't get a chance to read through it all, but I can't say that anything is missing here." Looking around the room, Ryleos notices the sturdy nature of the hut and the narrow passageway leading back to the main fortress in a somewhat different light.

Reaching into his pouch, he produces the small crystal he was given earlier.

"From what Master Nimozaran said, we can use these to teleport back to the top of his tower, but probably not from inside here. My guess is that we'd have to get back out to that tree outside of the Hall proper before these would work again.

That said, we could also fortify ourselves here tonight, read through these notes and go back to Master Nimozaran's after we've had some rest. I can ward the door against encroachment, if we choose to do that.

Either way, we will need to return this chest to him. I'd also like to see if he has a ritual I might use to help copy this information down in a more portable format . . .

So, what do you think? Hole up here for now and go back in the morning, or make our way back now?"

So I could do this ritual to block the door while we all rest/research inside and get our HPs/Dailies, etc. back.

Snare
A barely visible circle appears on the ground, ready to entrap any enemies that enter the area.

Level: 4 Component Cost: 25 gp
Category: Warding Market Price: 150 gp
Time: 10 minutes Key Skill: Nature
Duration: 8 hours or until discharged

You create a magical snare in a 2-square-by-2-square area adjacent to you. When you complete the ritual, make a Nature check. The check result is the Perception DC to detect the snare and the Thievery DC to disable it. As part of the ritual, you can name creatures that can pass freely through the snare’s area, and you can set conditions that allow a creature to bypass the snare. Any other creature that enters the snare’s area is subject to an attack equal to your level + 4 vs. Reflex. On a hit, the target is immobilized (save ends). When the snare is triggered, you become aware that it has been triggered regardless of your distance from it. The ritual is also discharged.

Published in Player's Handbook 2, page(s) 216.

Ridai
2012-04-25, 11:29 AM
"I'm for giving everything a quick once-over and going back. The caravan to Winterhaven and thus the third piece is leaving tomorrow morning and the sooner the guard can get everything here to Fallcrest, the better. Lotharos, anything in particular Orest wants back and we could bring personally? With preventing a war ahead of us, we can probably use all the ressources we can get."

Hircine
2012-04-25, 02:04 PM

"I would prefer if we leave immediately now that we have what we came for. Don't forget that there were many cots in the barracks and we've only dealt with a few dozen orcs. We must leave before the rest of their force returns."

Meltheim
2012-04-25, 02:09 PM
Ryleos

Nodding in agreement, Ryleos asks, "Do we have a convenient way to transport the chest and any other trinkets, or am I going to carry it in my arms? Also, has anyone searched Tavik's body or bedroom yet? I'm sure he has something of value on his person. I doubt he would be stupid enough to leave details of his patron sitting around, but you never know."

(not sure if my earlier perception check counted toward searching the body/house for anything valuable. let me know if I need to reroll)

Locklear
2012-04-25, 02:26 PM
Timm

"I agree with Rithrin, we should leave now, and fast. If you prepare the crate, I will go and check the corpse with Ryleos." He says to the rest of the group then walks out to check the corpse.

I'll aid Ryleos with his perception for a +2.

Surrealistik
2012-04-25, 02:53 PM
Lotharos seems to concur with a slight incline of his head.

"It wouldn't do to take chances, especially lacking any other exit. We'll sweep the area, take whatever valuables we can from Tavik and his study, then move along. As for Orest's bounty from the caravans, I imagine they're grouped in with the other supplies; we can retrieve them on the way out."

Ridai
2012-04-25, 03:28 PM
"Then let's go." Grabbing whatever valuables they find on the way out (especially on Tavik or in the hut, as well as the things Orest is looking for), Karas carries one side of the chest, carrying his sunblade in the other hand.

Meltheim
2012-04-25, 05:02 PM
Ryleos

Ryleos draws his wand and holds it in his left hand, picking up the other side of the chest with his right hand. "Time is of the essence, as they say."

Emongnome777
2012-04-25, 08:11 PM
Among the items in Tavik's home, you find three medium-sized chests which contain the items that Orest described. All seem to be neatly stacked and organized.

While carefully searching the bedroom, Ryleos discovers a secret compartment in the wooden frame of the bed. Inside, he finds a leather pouch with a substantial amount of residuum and another silk pouch with 10 platinum pieces, 300 gold pieces and 2 fire opals, each worth 600 gp.

In his study, you find his ritual book and little else other than the journals you were looking for.

On Tavik's body, you find a magical amulet, diadem and gloves.

Amulet of Protection +3
Burglar's Gloves
Diadem of Acuity
(All items in the PHB)

As for the ritual book, just pick any 7 heroic tier arcana rituals, but only from the PHB.

Ridai
2012-04-26, 11:33 AM
With the loads having to be lugged around, Karas sheathes his sword to carry what he can. "Everyone, grab what you can."

Emongnome777
2012-04-26, 12:00 PM
Despite the load that the group is carrying, it isn't long before you manage to make your way out of the dungeon-level of Kobold Keep and back to the grove where the teleportation ritual brought you.

Didn't want to assume that you were ready to head back to Fallcrest 'till at least one person said so.

Meltheim
2012-04-26, 12:40 PM
Ryleos

Setting down the chest and stretching his arm out a moment, Ryleos picks up a small twig from the ground and begins to trace a circle out on the ground large enough for the party and their possessions. The circle is intricate and matches the gold circle set in the top of Nimozaran's tower. After a few minutes, with Lotharos' help, he's finished.

"Alright, if everyone could step inside and take hold of the crystal that Master Nimozaran gave us earlier, all you will need to do is concentrate on his tower and we should be on our way in a second."

Focusing a small amount of energy into the crystal, Ryelos envisions the circle's twin back at Fallcrest, and whisks himself across the ether.

Emongnome777
2012-04-26, 12:59 PM
The teleportation ritual has brought you safely back to Nimozaran's tower in Fallcrest. You're mildly nauseated, though it isn't quite as bad as the first time.

A moment later, Nimozaran comes up the steps and sees you with the chests. "Good, you made it back alive with the journals. What of Tavik?"

Ridai
2012-04-26, 01:13 PM
"Pushing up daisies." Karas regards Lotharos, Ryleos and Nimozaran. "Can you guys do some research while we get the other chests to their owner? You don't happen to have a cart around we could borrow for a moment, do you, Nimozaran?" Orest would probably like to have his goods back.

Meltheim
2012-04-26, 01:38 PM
Ryleos

Slipping the crystal back in his pocket, Ryleos once again picks up his half of Nimozaran's chest of documents. Nodding in rhythm with Karas' suggestions, Ryleos says,

"Sounds good to me. I'd like to read through this book and get a better understanding of these rituals. Also, depending on how long you're gone, I might be able to do a few more enchantments with the residuum we have here."

Locklear
2012-04-26, 02:56 PM
Timm

Timm smirks at Karas's callousness then nods, "I'll help return the items to Orest, then we should meet somewhere." He pauses a few moments, "It's been a rough day; The Blue Moon Alehouse at sundown?"

I'm pretty sure we began this fiasco at around 11am and I'm under the impression its autumn, so I guess it's around 2-3pm, possibly later right now?

Hircine
2012-04-26, 03:02 PM

"Hold a moment, Karas, for I will accompany you. Once we have returned Orest's goods I'd like to visit Duncan and inform him of what has transpired if that's alright with you?"

Surrealistik
2012-04-26, 03:47 PM
Lotharos looks between the rest of the group impassively, assessing the words and interactions of the others in pensive silence before deigning to comment:

"I should like to meet with Orest to deliver the goods personally; after all, it was I whom he had charged with the task. Once we have entrusted the shipment with him it is a simple matter to recall to the tower, that I may proceed with my research."

Shrugging afterwords as much to dispel the residual nausea lingering in his skull as to communicate the mage's indifference, he turns to Timm, ornate robes impelled to a slight billowing at the motion.

"As for our place of meeting afterwords, I have no especial preference; the Alehouse sounds fine, though I would think Nimozaran's tower more secure."

Ridai
2012-04-26, 04:23 PM
"To discuss the findings, maybe. No drinks for me, though. Don't need booze-powered spear nightmares. Or hangovers." Karas turns to Rithrin and acknowledges his request with a simple "Aye", soon getting the chests to Orest.

Emongnome777
2012-05-03, 09:34 AM
OOC
Sorry for being so slow. Battling some infection earlier this week combined with general busyness. Let's get things moving again, shall we? Note that I've pushed it a little far ahead, but feel free to insert some role-playing in the middle however you like.

Regarding the time / date, it's mid-spring now and late afternoon, around 4-5 PM. You have a couple more hours of reasonable daylight.
Nimozaran nods to Karas. "Tavik deserved his fate when he sold himself out to the highest bidder. His nature was revealed when he almost killed Tobolar. I would've liked to do the deed myself, but my time has passed. As for your cart, we do have something you could use. It's made mostly for moving stacks of books around, but it will suffice for your needs."

He motions for the group to follow him downstairs. You enter the library to find it has been cleaned up somewhat since your fight. Tobolar is stacking books on the shelves as you enter.

He sees you, looks back to Nimozaran, then starts to head downstairs. "Tobolar, you do not need to fetch any tea, only one is staying. Besides, that is not the job of an apprentice." With the last word, the halfling boy yelps with glee and runs to Nimozaran, wrapping his leg in a big hug. With a grandfatherly laugh, Nimozaran kneels down and says to him, "now, run off to your uncle's tonight and get some sleep. You need to be rested when you start your training." Tobolar nods then runs downstairs and is gone before you can even blink.

Nimozaran stands back up. "He deserved to be a full apprentice. He still has no skills or natural abilities with the arts, but he showed me today that has the courage and determination to do what's right, no matter the cost. He may never get past the rudimentary magic, but he will never give up and use what he knows to do good."

The elderly wizard removes the books on the cart and rolls it to Karas. He then helps Ryleos to unpack the chest with Igrest's journals.

Ryleos
With Nimozaran's help, you sort out the materials you have and place them on a table. The wizard starts leafing through some of the scrolls that you aren't looking at.

After several hours (let's say 8:00 approximately), you learn the following:

Chronologically, Igrest's journals seem to start with his participation in the Bloodspear War. Nimozaran skimmed through those materials, but didn't find anything of usefulness for now.

You've already read the portions relating to the final battle, so nothing new there.

Soon after the battle, with the towns still suffering from the toll the war took, Igrest couldn't find any support to take on finding the pieces. Igrest frequently expressed a great deal of frustration over the apathy that the people had about this. There were still orcs in the Stonemarch, so he couldn't search for a piece there initially.

He spent almost a year searching for a piece that landed near the middle of the Vale. He worked with several dwarves around the mithril mine, but was never able to discover where it landed. He surmised it was buried somewhere, but it evaded his searching, even using magical means of detection.

Another journal detailed the time he spent searching for part of the spear in the Witchlight Fens and the Harken Forest. He spent nearly four years in that region. He received a great deal of help from the lizardfolk there (after he agreed to provide some magical support for them) as well as the Harkenwold settlers. In fact, he was quite confident that he'd found the shard in a watery cavern below the swamp, but could not find it. His frustration was evident from his writings but he never learned who got the piece.

At the end of that journal, he mentions heading to the north to search for the piece there, but you find no record of his travels north to the Winterbole Forest. Nimozaran is confident that no writings were gone from when he first sorted them out.

(Feel free to ask questions if you want any part of it fleshed out or explained.)
Everyone Else
With the cart, the trip to Naerumar's is a little easier. The shop appears open as it's still lit. Entering, you notice Orest behind the counter with a single customer milling around in one corner with a hood pulled over his / her head, looking at some potions.

Orest notices Lotharos and brightens. "Lotharos, good to see you again and so quickly." His eyes fall on the three chests and his eyes widen. "I'm impressed that you have so quickly retrieved the items. Nimozaran must have been more help that even I expected. No matter, let me check the contents."

He heads into the back room and returns a few seconds later with a sheet of parchment. He looks over at the customer and says, "is there anything in particular you're looking for, sir?" Right then the person turns around. You can see auburn hair poking out of the hood. "Oh, I'm sorry, ma'am", Orest says, flustered. "I mistook you for someone else. May I help you?"

The woman pulls the hood down and looks at the group then Orest. "No, thank you, I am merely browsing." With that, she turns back to the shelf she was looking at.

Orest sighs and turns to the group. "I must be getting old. I could've swore it was a man that entered here last. No matter, let's check out those chests and make sure everything's there."

Ridai
2012-05-03, 12:21 PM
Karas only glances at the stranger once, then turns away again, briefly giving Timm a look and motioning towards the stranger with his eyes. Otherwise, he simply helps with the chests and looks at Naerumar's inventory of chainmail armor.

Locklear
2012-05-03, 02:57 PM
Timm

Timm nods to Karas subtly and says to Orest, "Rithrin and Karas can help you check everything and carry things into the back room. Lotharos and I will stay here." He looks sternly at Orest then at Lotharos. He slides his hand carefully over his dagger then walks to stand next to the stranger trying to get a good look at her face without her noticing.

Meltheim
2012-05-04, 03:50 PM
Ryleos

After the rest of rest of the group has left, bound for some merchant's shop or something, Ryleos says to Nimozaran,"That was a good thing to do. I remember my first apprenticeship fondly. I am sure Tobolar will not disappoint you."

He takes a seat and spreads out the various notes and bits of parchment to try and put together what he has learned so far. He notes the various locations on a map provided by Nimozaran and tries to determine where he next should look.

After spending a few hours reviewing the remainder of the notes with Nimozaran, Ryleos pulls out the small ritual book that he had discovered during the search of Tavik's compound.

Flipping through the book, he sees several rituals he already knows, but a good handful he has never seen before. Sending, Linked Portal . . . these are pretty significant. No wonder he was so well organized. he thinks to himself while reading through the rituals. Pulling out the spellshard, Ryleos focuses on it while reading over the rituals, committing their words, pictures and instructions to the spellshard itself.

Surrealistik
2012-05-04, 06:52 PM
Lotharos inclines his head in acknowledgement upon seeing the storekeep, a friendly smile mirroring the tiefling's expression.

"The pleasure is certainly mutual Orest. As anticipated, my companions were invaluable in seeing to the matter, though we could not have triumphed so quickly without Nimozaran's assistance. Hopefully your wards will guard against any meddling in the interim; I should not like to reiterate our efforts so soon after this success."

As Karas and Timm react to the presence of the woman, he gives silent assent to the recommendations of the latter, nodding his agreement. Curiosity thereafter soon bests the wizard, drawing his attentions towards this mysterious patron, magics subtly reinforcing his surreptitious appraisal.

Insight vs woman (sense something amiss/illusory): [roll0] +4 from Adept's Insight = 35 total.

Emerald Eye: Lotharos gains a +5 power bonus to Insight checks against the woman.

Adept's Insight, Augment 1: [roll1] bonus to Lotharos' Insight check vs the woman.

Emongnome777
2012-05-08, 02:41 PM
Ryleos
After a few hours of reading and studying rituals, you can see Nimozaran getting tired. About then, he chuckles and says, "I used to stay up all night reading ritual books, historical treatises and whatever else I could get my hands on. I craved knowledge. Now, I only crave sleep."

He stands up and stretches, then rubs his back. "I must retire for the night, my friend. Should you require anything, I will be upstairs in my quarters. Feel free to stay as long as you require. You and your friends are always welcome here. The crystals you possess will gain you access to the tower should you find it locked."

If you have nothing else, the old wizard slowly lumbers up the steps, leaning heavily on his staff.
Everyone Else
Timm
You move around to get a glimpse of the patron. She doesn't pay you much heed, but she seems to be aware of you. You get a look at her face, but you don't recognize her.
Lotharos
You study the patron carefully and learn the following:
-She isn't as she appears to be. There is more to her than meets the eye.
-Her movement and mannerisms indicate that she is very agile and charming, far more so than a normal person, though not inhumanly so.
-She is watching Orest, your group, and the chests will great interest.
-Her "browsing" comment is an obvious lie.
Orest nods to Karas and Rithrin, while glancing at the women in the shop. "If you please, we will check the contents in the back room." He grabs one of the chests and heads back.

Karas, Rithrin
Karas doesn't find any chain armor out on the floor.

You follow him inside the back room just inside from the counter. It's dimly lit, but you see a small table with multiple ledgers. There are also many shelves on the walls, mostly having paper work, scrolls, etc. There are also several chests about, some on the floor and the smaller ones on the shelves.

Orest puts his chest on the desk and retrieves a scroll from a shelf. Opening the chest, he carefully moves the items around, checking them off his list. Doing the same to the other two, he seems satisfied. He then reaches back into the last chest and fumbles around for a moment before he says, "aha". You hear a soft click, then he reaches deeper into the chest, far deeper than his arm should be going into it. He fumbles for a moment, then frowns. "Everything is here but one item. This chest contained a secret compartment that kept an item of particular significance, though I know not what that would be. It was a rather gruesome helm: The skull top of some orcish shaman named Skar'Cozen. It was unique in that the skin was still attached to the skull as well as the top knot this orc wore."

Locklear
2012-05-08, 05:33 PM
Timm

Not recognising the patron makes Timm feel a little uneasy. He looks at Lotharos who seems to be very focussed for a moment or two. He then gives the wizard a questioning look and gestures his head to the woman, his hand tightening on the hilt of his dagger.

Once he receives the response from Lotharos, he says nonchalantly "Come here often?" Making no eye contact with the stranger.

Emongnome777
2012-05-09, 11:11 AM
The young lady ignores Timm until he asks the question. She slowly turns her head, appraising the rogue at first. Then she smiles and says, "no, I'm new here, just passing through this region, actually. I was looking for some potions and such that would be of value to me. If I may ask, what is your name and what was in those boxes you brought in?"

Surrealistik
2012-05-10, 10:48 AM
Lotharos is drawn from his observation of the woman upon noting Timm's attention, the nature of his fellow human's silent query apparent. Conferring with the rogue for a terse moment, he whispers his assessment of the suspicious patron.

"She is not as she seems; all about her is falsehood. Her interest in us and our chest is more than passing; do not trust this woman for a moment."

Hircine
2012-05-10, 10:22 PM

Rithrin strums his fingers along one of the chests humming quietly to himself as Orest speaks. "Interesting, I wonder who has it now?"

Ridai
2012-05-10, 11:37 PM
"Either it wasn't in there in the first place or the orcs found it and didn't care as much for the other items in the chests." The latter suggests informants, perhaps ones looking for the spear.

Locklear
2012-05-12, 05:23 AM
Timm

Timm heeds Lotharos' advice. "Nothing of value to you," he says confidently to the "woman".

Emongnome777
2012-05-14, 02:23 PM
Karas & Rithrin
Orest rubs his chin, still looking at his list. "I truly have no idea about why it was stolen. To be honest, I didn't know why it was even a part of this shipment. Nobody told me what it was going to be used for and I never asked. Since it was the only one stashed in the secret compartment, I knew it was important to someone. I'll have to report this to Duncan."
Lotharos & Timm
The woman grins at Timm. "Well then, I guess it's something I shouldn't worry about. Nice to meet you." She turns around and starts to leave.

Ridai
2012-05-14, 03:24 PM
"This is beginning to sound like it was placed there to be stolen. Or, in a way, delivered to the orcs. I'll have to talk with Duncan as well. But you should stay in here for a moment. That woman in the shop might be very dangerous and after what's in the chests." With that, Karas leaves the backroom to check on what's going on in the shop itself.

Emongnome777
2012-05-15, 01:20 PM
Orest nods to Karas. "These items will be secure here. There are wards that prevent hostile magic being cast, as well as teleportation and the like. I have a special chest made just for this shipment." He moves toward the back of the room and whispers an arcane phrase. Instantly, a large, wooden, metal-bound chest appears. With help, he empties the contents of each of the three smaller chests into the large one. With another phrase, the chest disappears.

Locklear
2012-05-17, 04:26 PM
Timm

As the woman turns to leave Timm watches her step towards the door and when she leaves he doesn't wait a moment before briskly walking towards the door and opens it and looks for her and follows her careful not to be seen.

Stealth Check: [roll0]
Timm wants to follow her but is more happy to lose her than risk being seen.

Meltheim
2012-05-18, 11:29 AM
Ryleos

Gathering a small pinch of residuum from Nimozaran's jar on the shelf, Ryleos reads through the ritual book once again, making sure to get everything right. The small crystal on the table next to him glows in response - as if it were reading, or rather storing, his thoughts.

"Put a pinch of dust here, spread it across the table . . . then that's it? I just write what I want to say in the dust?" Flipping the pages back and forth he scratches his head in puzzlement. "Alright, here goes." Ryleos focuses his thoughts on Lotharos, grinning slightly. He hopes that the Sending will at least startle his companion momentarily.

LOTHAROS IT IS RYLEOS I AM USING THE SENDING RITUAL SO WE CAN TALK BUT ONLY 25 WORDS AT A TIME SO MAKE SURE THAT

:smallbiggrin:
[roll0]

9 or lower = 10 miles
10–19 = 100 miles
20–29 = 500 miles
30–39 = 1,000 miles
40 or higher = Anywhere on the same plane

Lotharos will receive the message mentally and can respond the same way in 25 words or less.

Surrealistik
2012-05-18, 12:38 PM
A coy smile flits across the human's lips as Lotharos receives Ryleos' telepathic message, chuckling to himself as the message cuts off. After a brief pause, staring after Timm, he responds in kind:

(I assume I have to respond immediately? If not I'll wait to confer with the rest of the party)

"Delivered goods. Suspicious robed 'woman' spotted. Not as she appears; overtly interested in goods and group. Timm pursuing. Waiting to confirm status of items."

Emongnome777
2012-05-19, 08:05 PM
Timm
(it isn't dusk quite yet, but the low sun in the west is casting long shadows.)
The woman leaves the shop and heads north toward the stables. She's walking at a steady, measured pace, at least 100 feet in front of you. Past the stables, she turns west, following the worn road. After the road bears northwest, she goes another 100 feet before quickly disappearing around the west end of an abandoned house on the road near the Tombwood thicket.

You were unsure if she knew you were following her while you kept pace. Given her most recent move, it seems she did know she was being followed. If so, she hid it very well.

Locklear
2012-05-20, 04:18 AM
Timm

Timm sighs as he realises that he was most likely noticed. He then assigns the location of the house to memory and begins the walk back to Orest's shop, thinking over the woman's actions in his head as he walks. As he walks in he says quickly to Lotharos, "I lost her into the Tombwood." He then walks into the back of the shop and before Orest could have any say in the matter says, "Keep that chest and its contents safe." and walking back out of the shop says to Lotharos, "I'll be at the Blue Moon Alehouse."

DM

Timm leaves the shop and heads to the house where the guildmaster is based. Upon entering he waits to see if he is searched then places a small offering of twenty gold on the ground for the guild and drops a knee and says, "The shipment is safe. Kobold Hall is secure. I have found a "woman", however, that may be a threat to the shipment." He waits to see if the Guildmaster has anything to say on the topic,then leaves for the Alehouse.

Emongnome777
2012-05-26, 02:06 PM
Timm
From the darkness at the guild house, you sense a presence, but can't see him. Telepathically, he says to you, "This 'woman' is likely the same foul creature that killed your friend and took his place. Yes, we know about the doppelganger, but haven't been able to track its movements. It is good that Orest has the shipment, but I'm afraid the key piece is likely missing. Nevertheless, you have been a thorn in the enemies' side for some time and this will draw even greater attention to yourself and your allies. The time is soon that you will introduce them to the guild. Our allies dwindle and our enemies strengthen each day. You will be contacted when you arrive in Winterhaven."

The contact is broken and you leave.

At the Alehouse, you see the ever-nervous Par Winnomer behind the bar. The bar isn't as crowded as usual and most are halfling merchants sitting near the fire while a young elven female plays the mandolin and sings softly nearby. There are several empty tables.
Karas, Lotharos, Rithrin
Where to now?
Ryleos
While it's reasonable to assume your studies would take longer than the rest of the group, I'll waive that and assume you can meet up with them at the Blue Moon Alehouse (or at least Timm at the moment).

Meltheim
2012-05-26, 02:31 PM
Ryleos

Concerned about the message received from Lotharos, Ryleos grabs another pinch of dust and prepares another message.

LOTHAROS ITS ME RYLEOS AGAIN THANKS FOR THE MESSAGE THIS RITUAL IS REALLY HELPFUL I WILL MEET YOU AT THE BLUE MOON ALEHOUSE REALLY SOON

With that, he wipes the dust clean from the table and turns down the lamp he was using. Grabbing his things and stuffing the spellshard into his belt pouch, Ryleos makes his way out of the tower. He asks one of the local guards for directions to the alehouse, then proceeds to head in that direction, ever wary of being watched or followed.

Upon entering the alehouse, Ryleos spots Timm easily enough, then glances around for the others. Seeing that the bar is mostly empty, Ryleos orders some wine and takes a seat near the musician, hoping to soak in her ample talents while he waits for Timm to conclude any business.

Ridai
2012-05-26, 02:39 PM
To the alehouse. Don't really know what to do right now.

Hircine
2012-05-26, 11:53 PM

With their business with Orest concluded, Rithrin promises to meet up with his comrades after he has a chat with Duncan.

DM

Rithrin leaves the shop and wanders the streets until he is able to locate the guardhouse. Once invited into Duncan's office he takes a seat and asks for a hot cup of tea. He then leans forward and begins relaying his report.

"Well, I've got good news and bad news, I'll assume you want to hear the good first. We managed to track down and recover Orest's goods from Kobold Hall. Along the way our group cut down a host of orcs along with their Lolth loving leader, Tavik. Unfortunately a large band of orcs is still roaming the area. Also upon our return Orest informed us that the most important artifact is still missing."

Rithrin pauses to rub his chin while he attempts to recall the exact name of the missing article. Several minutes pass before he speaks again. "I believe Orest called it the helm of Skar'Cozen."

The drow leans back in his seat, studying Duncan carefully. "Would you happen to know anything about this particular relic?

Surrealistik
2012-05-27, 08:51 PM
Lotharos again responds to Ryleos' sending upon receipt of Timm's report:

"Timm lost the 'woman'. Items seem otherwise secure. We will rendezvous at the Blue Moon; see you there."

With the articles secure and the party ready to retire for some well deserved R&R, the wizard bids Orest farewell.

"As before, it's been a pleasure Orest. I should like to visit you again before long. Be sure to send for us if you've need of anything."

Excusing himself with a parting bow, the magi takes his leave through the front door. Making a beeline for the Blue Moon, Lotharos' eyes warily flit about, taking careful stock of his surroundings as he completes the brief sojourn.

Emongnome777
2012-05-29, 08:18 PM
Karas, Lotharos, Rithrin
With a graceful bow, Orest says, "my thanks again kind sirs. If you are in need of any assistance from me, I'll gladly provide it to the best of my abilities. Seems it's closing time and I have much to do before retiring for the night. Good hunting, gentlemen."
Rithrin
You find Duncan at his usual location; the barracks for the town guard. He greets you immediately and bids you to sit down across from his cluttered desk.

After hearing of your exploits, he responds, "hmm, helm of Skar'Cozen, eh? When I saw the original list, I asked about that one item, as it was the only one that had a name. I was originally given a dismissive shrug from the Lord Warden. I knew he was hiding something, so I pressed him when we were alone. He admitted he didn't want to reveal too much in front of others, but said that this item was the very skull of the master shaman of the orcs during the Bloodspear War. Many said he was the true leader of the Bloodspears. It's likely that he wielded the Bloodspear that you're looking for, as best I can piece together. Markelhay insisted he knew nothing else except that it was very valuable, and I'm inclined to believe him. With everything happening in the last few weeks, though, I think there's more to that helm than any of us knows."

<I'll treat the next part as if you are at the Alehouse, but feel free to continue this conversation as you like.>
Everyone
Timm has been at the Alehouse for about 15 minutes before Lotharos and Karas arrive together. Rithrin is about 10 minutes later while Ryleos comes about five minutes after that. Soon, everyone is seated at Timm's table, finally able to enjoy a hot meal and tasty ale (some of the finest in Fallcrest). When your meal is mostly finished, a group of humans and two tieflings enter, around eight total. The elven singer stops momentarily before continuing her beautiful ballad. The halfings stare at the newcomers and only grudgingly return to their drinks after a few tense moments. The tieflings and three of the humans approach the bar and order a round while the other humans find a table near the elven female singing and playing the lute. She appears uncomfortable at their proximity.

Timm & Karas
Having lived in Fallcrest, you know that the halflings here are part of the traders whose boats tie up along the Lower Quay. The newcomers are part of House Azaer. They are in competition here in town and have had unfriendly dealings in the past, mostly some scrums at the docks. With tensions high, you're not sure what will happen.

Karas, your halfling friend, Endric, works mostly with the halflings and has good dealings with them, though his business is technically separate. You've worked with some of the halflings and a couple of the humans in the past (feel free to make up names if you interact).

Hircine
2012-05-29, 09:41 PM
Rithrin T'sarran - Swordmage

DM
Rithrin leans forward, hanging on Duncan's every word. He begins rapping his hands upon his desk once the old warrior finishes speaking.

"Curious, I wonder whether the helm was stolen for ceremonial purposes or if it actually holds some importance in conjunction with the Bloodspear? Anyway have you or any of your agents learned anything new in our absence?"
Rithrin arrives at the alehouse deep in thought over his rather enlightening conversation with Duncan. He eats and drinks in silence, though he peeks up from his meal every few minutes to watch the elven singer. Once he has finished his dinner he sits back and allows the elf's beautiful melody to wash over him. Her sublime singing voice causes him to reminisce of his time traveling with Ielenia and the majestic ballads she would serenade him with.

Just as he has settled in the singing stops causing his eyes to shoot open and scan the room suspiciously. His gaze falls on a band of newcomers who seem to have unnerved the singer. Unwilling to let these degenerates ruin the mood he slowly gets up and finds the table nearest to the entertainer, he gives her a quick wink as he sits down.

From his seated position he removes his sword and gently lies it on his lap, just in case these men cause a disturbance.

Ridai
2012-05-30, 10:56 AM
As Karas leaves the shop, he notices that his armor looks a little more messy than when he got it, carrying the marks of the many battles fought since then. In this state, it honestly is much more to his liking.

It's been a while since he was last at the Alehouse, welcoming the rough but familiar atmosphere. Excusing himself for a moment, he walks over to the halflings as he enters the building. "Corrin Braveheart and Ulmo Sharpeye, how have you been? Long time no see. Looks like Bree still manages to make you work together, eh?" He says jokingly and with a grin, shaking hands and greeting the rest of the fellows he is familiar with after the three mentioned.

The tension as the Azaers enter doesn't go unnoticed, especially not the elven maiden's discomfort. He hopes his reputation for breaking up fights (or winning them if he had to) back when he worked at the quays is still well remembered, making a point out of greeting Alain Sivra and Mikal Derin, two of the humans he is familiar with, partly as a reminder of his presence. If the elven woman look over to him, Karas subtly motions over to Rithrin with his head, followed by a nod that it's alright to go near him (hoping that his apparent affiliation to Pelor helps in that regard).

Locklear
2012-05-30, 11:46 AM
Timm

Timm orders another round of ale once everyone has arrived and calmly acknowledges the entrance of the House Azaer patrons and watches them out of the corner of his eye as he talks to the group. "We need to discuss our next order of business. Orest has delayed his shipment on account of us, we should deliver that as soon as possible. Anything else?" Timm leans back in his seat and takes a good look across the bar to see what the Tieflings and their party are doing.

Surrealistik
2012-05-30, 12:49 PM
Lotharos dives into his meal rapaciously, the speed and naked gusto with which he attacks his food in stark contrast to his usual formal demeanour; the wizard was evidently famished!

When he has finished with dinner, leaning back in his chair with a look of unmistakable satisfaction, he rests his hands in a now slightly rotund belly, eyes moving lazily between his fellows, before settling on the newcomers. The mage's expression hardens with sudden suspicion at the reaction the group engenders, the pall of evident discomfort now cast over the place.

"I should like to discuss matters pertaining to the goods, but this seems hardly the place."

Opines the wizard, subtly regarding the late arrivals, as if to assess their purpose.

"Perhaps we might do so later in our room."

Insight check vs the newcomer group (appraising their behaviour/intentions/what they're concerning themselves with/etc): [roll0] + Adept's

Adept's Insight: [roll1]

Meltheim
2012-06-01, 05:21 PM
Ryleos

Nodding in response to Lotharos' suggestion, Ryleos adds, "Yes, there was a lot of information regarding the . . . well, a lot of information that Nimozaran and I went over. Definitely not for discussing in public like this."

Looking over his shoulder to see the newcomers entering the inn, Ryleos' brow furrows slightly. Turning back to the table, he pauses for a moment. "So . . . who are the halflings?" Ryelos asks, obviously unaware of most of the goings-on in Fallcrest.

"Are they the traders you guys were working for? Did they follow you here?"

Ridai
2012-06-02, 04:37 AM
"Nah, they were here before we arrived. But yeah, know most of 'em from when I worked at the quays or from them working with my friend Endric. Good folks and wary of Azaers 'cause of more than a share of run-ins."