PDA

View Full Version : Inquisitor Tips

Kaito1337
2012-03-28, 10:37 AM
Hey guys, im new to inquisitor. Any tips for me? im running a black powder inquisitor with the archetype "Preacher"

Need_A_Life
2012-03-28, 09:37 PM
Hi :smallsmile:
Is there anything in particular you're looking for help with?

Until then, a quick couple off the top of my head.

You're a spontaneous spellcaster, so make sure to make those spells known worth it. I got a lot of milage out of some healing and invisibility, but your milage may vary
Judgements have a lot more options than you need. Fast Healing was my go-to Judgement through-out most of my career, occasionally using it for boosts to AC or attack. The other options were ignored.
Remember, you get a domain power! Seven levels of Inquisitor before I remembered to use that. Yeah... :smallredface:
Your Detect [Alignment] ability means that you can continually scan for an alignment when exploring. The wizard should be detecting magic.
Our group had a wizard, a cleric and two inquisitors. We would Detect Evil, Chaos, Magic and Poison. Poison was more of a "because we can" sort of deal, though.

gorfnab
2012-03-28, 10:26 PM
Inquisitor Handbook (https://docs.google.com/document/d/19N7y6cKFLAr2KMMiKc8A1XG6R4iOmwaNFS7iAs17zyU/edit?hl=en_US&pli=1)

Kaeso
2012-03-29, 10:06 AM
Hey guys, im new to inquisitor. Any tips for me?

1. Be unexpected
2. Dress in red
3. Be almost fanatically devoted to the pope.... almost
4. The word "rack" can be used in at least 3 different contexts, keep those three carefully apart
5. Rehearse your entry lines at least 3 times before entering the BBEGs bachelor pad. Not 5 times, not 2 times unless you're using that second time to advance to a third time

grarrrg
2012-03-29, 11:03 AM
1. Be unexpected
2. Dress in red
3. Be almost fanatically devoted to the pope.... almost
4. The word "rack" can be used in at least 3 different contexts, keep those three carefully apart
5. Rehearse your entry lines at least 3 times before entering the BBEGs bachelor pad. Not 5 times, not 2 times unless you're using that second time to advance to a third time

You forgot to check if he's of Spanish decent...

stack
2012-03-29, 11:04 AM
Weapon proficiency: pillow

Blisstake
2012-03-29, 11:48 AM
Well, are you set on Black Powder Inquisition? Because my first piece of advice would be to favor archery over firearms...

Edit: I should probably explain my reasoning. Archery is notable for being able to add extra attacks per round by virtue of Rapid Shot and Manyshot. The extra attacks are exactly what the inquisitor wants, since they get to add a significant amount of miscellaneous damage to each attack (bane + judgement).

I recommend going for the Travel Domain, which gives a lot of nifty bonuses, and expands your spell selection to include the all-mighty teleport.

You'll be slow starting off, but later on this build can really pay off. For feats I recommend something along the lines of:

1. Point Blank Shot
1B. Precise Shot
3. Rapid Shot
5. (Choice)
7. (Choice)
9. Manyshot
11. Clustered Shots
13. Improved Crit

grarrrg
2012-03-29, 12:16 PM
I should probably explain my reasoning. Archery is notable for being able to add extra attacks per round by virtue of Rapid Shot and Manyshot. The extra attacks are exactly what the inquisitor wants, since they get to add a significant amount of miscellaneous damage to each attack (bane + judgement).

With Rapid Reload + Alchemical cartridges the difference between Bow/Gun becomes almost moot, and he can use Guns with Rapid Shot etc...
It costs a feat and some cash, but he gains the ability to target Touch-AC within the first range increment (meaning he doesn't have to use his Judgement for the Accuracy boost)

I recommend going for the Travel Domain, which gives a lot of nifty bonuses, and expands your spell selection to include the all-mighty teleport.

Inquisitors don't get Domain Spells, only Abilities (hence why Inquisitions even exist).
Unless you are referring to the 8th level ability of Travel, which is still very limited.

jaybird
2012-03-29, 12:27 PM
With Rapid Reload + Alchemical cartridges the difference between Bow/Gun becomes almost moot, and he can use Guns with Rapid Shot etc...
It costs a feat and some cash, but he gains the ability to target Touch-AC within the first range increment (meaning he doesn't have to use his Judgement for the Accuracy boost)

On the other hand, a Guided bow would make the Inquisitor dependent solely on Wis and Con, and unless you're a Gunslinger, I don't think you can add Dex to damage on firearms.

grarrrg
2012-03-29, 12:35 PM
On the other hand, a Guided bow would make the Inquisitor dependent solely on Wis and Con, and unless you're a Gunslinger, I don't think you can add Dex to damage on firearms.

You'd still need a decent Dex score to qualify for Ranged Feats.
Guided may or may not be allowed (that's all I'm writing on the subject).
Being able to target Touch-AC is just as useful, if not more-so, then Dex-to-Damage (and there's always the Damage Judgment, and Bane to make up for it).

Blisstake
2012-03-29, 12:53 PM

But that does mean you have to get fairly close to enemies, which you generally want to avoid as a ranged character. Especially if you're using one handed fire-arms, which have a shorter range increment than the reach of some monsters (the colossal ones).

The feat requirement is also pretty stiff. You would basically want all of the feat I mentioned (does Manyshot work with firearms?) in addition to rapid reload and gun proficiency. You also need to account for misfire, which is another pain with using firearms.

Inquisitors don't get Domain Spells, only Abilities (hence why Inquisitions even exist).
Unless you are referring to the 8th level ability of Travel, which is still very limited.

Huh, well that's a shame. The domain ability is still really good, though. It's almost Dimension Door as a move action. The extra 10ft to move speed helps if you want to play a dwarf (they make good inquisitors), and avoiding difficult terrain is a bonus.

hamishspence
2012-03-29, 01:26 PM
When reading the first post- did anyone besides me first think of the 40K game Inquisitor for a moment?

Kaito1337
2012-03-29, 10:50 PM
Haha i was leaning towards that too. :)