PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Intelligent Item - The Blood Bound

Panda24
2012-03-28, 12:15 PM
Okay, straight to business.

Here's background for campaign
In a pathfinder gestalt campaign, at level 4.
Characters are: a ranged ranger/druid, who wild shapes into a wolf; a fighter/cleric who likes to kick-down doors; and a ranged wizard/sniper-rogue who loves action based puzzles.

In this setting many of the lands more powerful people have 'bonds' and 'contracts' with, at least, semi-intelligent items or familiars. Now that the characters have proven themselves, their employers gave the rookies access to some of these magic items.
I'm worried that they'll be way to powerful or something, but most of our encounters do require a little brains, so it's fine.
Eztli - The Blood-Bound

The spoilered text below is the weapon’s description and encounter with its soul, hidden to save space.
This is less a weapon, and more a hilt. Just the hilt, pommel and guard. Features a large, eye-like gem near the guard and is of obviously supreme craftsmen ship. Concept stolen from the character 'Tirving' from Witch Hunter.

When first trying to grasp the hilt, the mind of the wielder communicates directly with the being in the sword, with on lookers only seeing a swift in eye colour and a few seconds of the character not responding.
"As you place your hand onto the immaculately carved hilt, tendrils of darkness writhe around you, twisting around each over as they rise above your head. The darkness closes above you and a thick, coppery stench fills the air. You feel liquid lapping around your feet and as your eyes adjust you realise you're standing in an ocean of blood. *looks around* *looks at blood* *perception check* You can see the vague shape of something bulging in the blood. On closer inspection it's a large chain and there hundreds all reaching to a point in the darkness *follow* After following the chains you find what they lead to. A demonic being is wrapped in chains in front of you."

I like this part. Hence it's not hidden.
Instead of describing this 'being of the sword' myself, I urge the player to do it instead. I say that this demiplane-of-sorts exists with their mind as well as in the sword. I say along the lines of "This creature could appear as a vicious, animalistic creature or could even appear as an unnaturally beautiful woman. Your choice." To at least give them ideas.

Hopefully it won't be too ridiculous, and the being, Eztli, will attempt to convince the player to form a contract with them and release them from some chains. Eztli will only offer the contract if the player has the will to become stronger. If the character refuses, ot they fail to act apporiately, Eztli rudely shunts them back to reality, causing them to lose a lot of blood in the process.
If they accept to the terms, parts of the chains are easily ripped off. The character returns to reality to find only a few seconds have passed at most, and the hilt now has a blade of crimson blood. The character who handed over the sword explains to the character how it works.

Here is the basic idea idea:

+2 Vicious Greatsword
Chaotic Evil
Intelligence: 10 Wisdom: 10 Charisma: 18

Telepathy
Senses 30ft
Can cast Bull's Strength 1/day
Can cast False Life 3/day
5 ranks in Intimidate (+12)
Defeat/slay all purpose.

Plans are to mess with the fighter/cleric, and make him roleplay a bit.
(I know he can roleplay well, and enjoys it, so I'm not being too mean.)
Wasn't sure if this should be in homebrew or here, so I went with the flow.

Panda24
2012-04-01, 02:12 AM
Hmm, I was hoping for some comments... ah well. I guess I haven't got the hang of this forum yet.

Here are some points I hoped people could discuss.
- The cost of Eztli is around 21650gp, I think. Is this too high for a level 4?
- The ego of weapon is 11. (or 12, if I can't count)
- I was thinking about adding the rage spell as an at will dedicated power that would only work when Eztli was in control.
- Maybe have the character able to purposely be possessed? Already thought of by the wizard.

Morithias
2012-04-01, 02:14 AM
- Maybe have the character able to purposely be possessed? Already thought of the wizard.

Just have the PC declare they're taking 1 on a saving throw versus ego. You can choose to willingly fail saving throws...although besides this I can't think of a single circumstance you would EVER need to.

Panda24
2012-04-01, 05:15 AM
I should have said "Already thought of by the wizard."
Because I had no idea either.
Something about stealing the intimidate bonus of the sword for some 'aggressive negotiations' with shop keepers.

Acanous
2012-04-01, 06:27 AM
21k is way outside the WBL of a 4th level char. It's more in-line for an 8th level char.

Panda24
2012-04-01, 09:38 AM
After they found the sword, the party had a CR 5 with a animated statue.
I treated the sword as a +2 vicious greatsword, and had the sword cast bull's strength as the fighter charged the statue, to show what it could do.
I also told them about its intimidate skill and how it would ramble on about killing over the telepathic bond. No mention of False Life.

I can make it more level appropriate for now by having it as a +1 vicious greatsword with cha 16, bulls stength 1/day.
Retcon out the +2 and cha 18.
That's now 6,450gp worth of bloody sword.
And maybe a slight loss to perception because of the little voices in his head.