PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Exalted Game [Exalted, IC]

AdjectiveNoun
2012-03-28, 01:17 PM
Dawn rises over the town of Pahjan. Though it's tiny compared to any city on the Blessed Isle, it's one of the larger towns on this island off the coast of Panju Prefecture.

A middling port is the only connection between the island and the mainland, and the town's location to a prime pearldiving area has led to it having a second name - Pearl Point. Silk and mulberry from the plantations further inland are transported here to be shipped to the Blessed Isle proper, though rumours claim a slave rebellion has broken out at at least one plantation, and its Patrician owners have hired mercenaries to deal with the problem.

There have been many rumours in the past few weeks, in fact. Of rebellious gods and risen dead. But they're still only rumours, and no proof of them has arrived at Pahjan.

Today is meant to be a festival - it is the last day before Calibration, and as is traditional (and Immaculately-sanctioned), there will be a day and night of celebration before the inauspicious five days. Dragon Lanterns have already been hung, feasts prepared, and as the first rays of light bathe the town, the last day of the year begins.

Orosboru
2012-03-29, 08:40 AM
Calibration. The day where things go awry. The Righteous Actions says not to commit to any action during Calibration unless you have nothing left to lose. And indeed, throughout history there have been surpassing upsets - and spectacular failures. My plan won't do that.

After several months of feigned docility, I think that my guards are relaxed enough now to not watch over the dog's food. They sleep as I sneak past the old man and his kennels, duck through the watchful gate during the shift change, and quickly change my clothes into something more suitable. I'm outside, but I don't let my guard down - I've been caught at this stage more than once. I stay in the ditch under the bridge and wait for the patrolling watchmen to pass. After about ten minutes, I slowly creep away.

Finally. Now I can escape that stupid salon that I'm supposed to be at tonight. Damn patricians. Time to enjoy the festival.

Volthawk
2012-04-01, 08:20 AM
Chen relaxes outside his favourite little dockside tavern, sitting on the edge of the dock, drink in hand, as he looks out onto the docks and watches the sailors and dockworkers milling around, the new boats coming in, the new people coming in. It was always interesting around this time of year, and he likes to sit her and see if he can catch the interesting people as they come.

Meanwhile, Amina leans against the wall of the tavern, giving everyone who gets close the evil eye and generally being unsubtle and threatening, especially due to her Southern colours. Chen had learnt that trying to get her to be subtle was an exercise in failure, and just worked with what she was.

tonberrian
2012-04-01, 06:25 PM
The last day of the year. It's a good day to be alive. Vig sits in one of the taverns, drinking with her men. It's unlucky to start something during Calibration, but it really can't be helped. Her wolf sits at her feet, more than a little intimidating. Well, at seven feet, Vig is a little intimidating herself.

ChaoticSky
2012-04-02, 10:52 PM
Silk smiled and laughed at the fat old patrician merchant's parting joke, putting just enough husk in her tone to make the man think shed like to see him again, but not enough that he might be tempted to take her up on the unspoken offer, "Please make sure to rest... I worked the tension out of your shoulders but it'll just come back if you dont try to avoid stress." The patrician guffahed, "Tell that to my competitors!" he declared apparently dismissing her suggestion. But Silk saw the thoughtful look in his eye, hed make some effort, she was sure, and thus the last two hours hadnt been a total waste. She bowed courteously as the lout wandered off, allowing herself a private sigh before she straightened up. Most times, she loved her job, other times she was sure the Dragons were testing her, but her own personal policies did not allow her to casually discriminate her clientèle, though many of her sisters did. But the way she saw it even perverse old merchants deserved a little joy in their otherwise cold, empty, ledger book lives. She took a moment to fix the bed sheets, the rugs, and the colourful drapes that covered the marble walls, and everything else that had been knocked over, before slipping out and extinguishing a small white candle beside the door; 'not occupied'.

She wandered back out past the other rooms to the front of the (relatively) small marble building, the courtesans not entertaining clients gathered on the porch, which faced into the main street where the festival was going on, drawing in new clients without really trying. Back in the imperial city, she would have had a small terrace to pose and/or perform on, but out here the, admittedly, lavish porch was all there was. A couple lounged back, flitting fans and acting mysterious, a pair danced together, somehow never seeming to loose bodily contact, while a third plucked a gentle melody for the dancers on a lap-harp. Silk felt a stir beneath her kimono, scales over skin, and a moment later her pet snake had slithered its way down her arm and hooked its self over her hand to lift its head and peer at her. Silk leaned back against a marble column, and used her other hand to pet the snake, running her fingers back along its glittering scales and adopting a smug expression to match it, the 'sultry snake' look wasnt one of her favourites, but it certainly could draw clients.

She and several of her sisters had been sent from the main house; Haven, in the Imperial City, anyone who knew anything about courtesans knew that the two biggest Courtesan Houses, Haven and the Eventide were bitter rivals, and where there was one, so too would you find the other. The town, of course, had only small branch houses of those mighty institutions, mainly there to capitalize on and facilitate the wealth the pearl trade brought to the region and staffed with courtesans who, while they certainly made the grade, where not skilled enough to work in the Imperial City proper. Small though it was, the town was of course a place to work the rivalry, and so Haven had despatched several of its more skilled courtesans to one-up their rival during the festival, and the Calibration that followed. Both were popular times, naturally everyone wants to celebrate and splurge alittle during a festival, and Calibration is a tense, ominous time, so people naturally seek comfort, and who better?

Silk spotted a party lolligaging its way down the street, bottles of festive spirit in hand, and noticeably louder than the background noise of the festival. It didnt take her long to start picking out details; sailors by their dress, women for obvious reasons, and Tya, due to their facial tattoos, short hair, and general unladylike boorishness, they did take their whole being-men thing very seriously after all. Her smile widened ever so slightly as the group stalled in front of the courtesan house, If they decided to patronise the house, Silk knew shed almost certainly be their first choice... her red hair always seemed to drive Westerners nuts... But, oho, things got alittle bit interesting. The group seemed to close in on one of its members, and then push her forward, driving her straight towards Silk. The 'victim' in this case was a younger woman, Tya, her tattoo work was relatively sparse, and she lacked the weathered look of her peers, a new recruit it seemed. She was also blushing the same colour as Silk's hair. The leader, a grizzled old Tya, held out a gag of coins and clapped her junior on the shoulder, speaking in a rough Low Realm with a thick accent "You take good care of my friend, yeah?". Silk accepted the bag... she could tell by the weight that it wasnt anywhere close to her usual rate but... what the hey, its a festival, so she smiled and replied in flawless Seatongue. <S>"Of course Captain Tya, I promise she will receive my very best.". Both Tya's eyes widened slightly in surprise, clearly not expecting that... then the captain cut a grin and responded in the same tongue <S>"Well, that'll make things easier, 'Shell here doesn't speak a lick of Low Realm. Have fun you two!", then she promptly turned on her heel and left, the rest of the Tya following, leaving the recruit with Silk.

Silk smiled, and drew the other woman into the house~

And so it goes.

Orosboru
2012-04-02, 11:50 PM
Alright. Kos is walking down the streets, and there is remarkable abundance of three things - food, drugs, and fun. Tavern. Whorehouse. Tavern. Whorehouse. Once you get down to it, in these basic things, every city is the same. This must be how an adventurer feels. It's like the Imperial city in imitation, but much more tame. Everything about these kinds of places seems so fake. The smiles are forced, and everything's some sort of manipulation. If I wanted political foreplay and sexual undertones, I would go to the Deliberative. At least the whores are dressed more decently. And have more scruples. I shoulder up my disguise a little more and move around more quickly.

Tavern. Whorehouse. Expensive Whorehouse. Haven, I think they call it.

It's always entertaining to see the people coming and going. I mean, I understand what goes on in there. Technically speaking. I've never gotten why it appeals so much, but my peers in... ugh, school, have a lot to say about the topic. Hey, it's that old man patrician. Thank god he doesn't look at anyone in the eye who isn't dressed like he is. By the Dragons, he's disgusting. And to think that he's hosting the salon tonight. Dirty ass.

But then again, it's nice to just be another guy in the crowd for once in a while. I stand in the middle of everything and just breathe in the mass of humanity. It makes descending from my carefully wrought ivory tower worth it.