PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Weapons of Legacy

Laniius
2012-03-28, 04:57 PM
Can I add further enchantments to them? For example, could I add the keen property to Tiger Fang (Found in ToB)?

Aharon
2012-03-28, 05:00 PM
No, you can't.

Laniius
2012-03-28, 05:03 PM
Cheers. That makes Tiger Fang less attractive, at least on a character starting at level 10. I wonder about the rest of them.

Thalnawr
2012-03-28, 05:06 PM
Cheers. That makes Tiger Fang less attractive, at least on a character starting at level 10. I wonder about the rest of them.
They're almost all rather lackluster for the sacrifices you have to make to use them, honestly. There are some ways to get benefit out of the system, however. But that requires you to delve into the customized legacy item creation rules.

Tokuhara
2012-03-28, 07:37 PM
They aren't much fun if paid for by WBL, but are reasonable if given by the DM as a McGuffin.

I played in a 3.P game as a Xeph Soulknife/Kensei and used the soulknife-themed Legacy weapon. The DM said that I didn't get the negatives for it, since it became my Mind Blade. All in all, my Soulknife raised all sorts of hell.

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-03-28, 09:41 PM
There are a few printed legacy weapons that are worth while, but I want to say that none of them are actually in the Weapons of Legacy book. Just like in core, if you tweak with the rules, you can get things that are worth the cost.

As a quest reward, I love the idea of a legacy weapon, but the crunch makes most of them just too much of a burden for what you gain.

Vizzerdrix
2012-03-29, 04:12 AM
There are a few printed legacy weapons that are worth while, but I want to say that none of them are actually in the Weapons of Legacy book. Just like in core, if you tweak with the rules, you can get things that are worth the cost.

May I ask for some examples? I'll need a Legacy item for my current character (his build calls for 7 levels of Legacy Champion).

unundindur
2012-03-29, 05:16 AM
May I ask for some examples? I'll need a Legacy item for my current character (his build calls for 7 levels of Legacy Champion).

Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237510) is one I have made. I tried to make it powerful enough that is is cool and useful at all levels, without turning stupid. I guess different groups would have different power-levels, but as a GM, this is about the level I would stick too :)

Killer Angel
2012-03-29, 05:19 AM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237510) is one I have made.

I don't think it counts in the "printed legacy weapons", though...

unundindur
2012-03-29, 05:37 AM
I don't think it counts in the "printed legacy weapons", though...

Ups, didn't nitice that part :)

In the books, I find Divine Spark to be ok, same with Exordius. Flay is awesome if you use it as a backup weapon (and the campaign stops around 8th level ;) ).

Hammer of Witches could be useful in the right campaign.

Shishi-O is good solely because it grants Pounce.

Sling of the Dire Wind is probably my favourite in the book, taking a sling from horrible to pretty awesome, and with most abilities still good at higher levels.

Ur has a great final ability, but is otherwise meh.

Wargird's armor is ok, though I doubt the penalties outweight its powers.

Tiger Fang (from Tome of Battle) is good.

Umbral Awn from ToB is also pretty good, as is Supernal Clarity (same book).

The big problem I have with many of the official items is that they scale horribly. Casting 3 magic missiles might be ok at level 5, but it is absolutely rubbish at level 10. A good Legacy item either replace early abilities, or have abilities that are relevant all the time (such as granting Uncanny Dodge, or morale bonuses).

Personally I find weapons to be the worst slot for legacy items, since the weapon slot might need different matereals for DR purposes, and you are likely to change weapon often as situations vary.

For pure power-purposes I would probably make a legendary vest, since that slot is rarely used by the books, and less so by GMs in my experience :) The key exception is if you have Spell Resistance, since DMG2 has an absolutely incredible vest for those :smallsmile:

Tokiko Mima
2012-03-29, 05:43 AM
The way Legacy weapons are treated, it's almost inherent that by the rules they will not be as good as a magic weapon you could make without the Legacy rules. There are restrictions, drawbacks, requirements, and they're even easier to destroy than a stock 3.5 weapon, and for all that, they usually aren't close to as powerful. As a DM you generally have to make some major concessions to even get players to want to use them, and as a player, not only are you giving up effectiveness you're also usually grafting on roleplay limitations as well.

Now, if you're looking to abuse the WoL material, I recommend looking at WoL items that aren't armor or weapons and don't cost spell slots (because that's nearly always more valuable than what you get back.) Ghostfolly Gloves, for example, are a pretty good WoL item because despite their drawbacks they are actually better than most items you can wear on your hands.

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-03-29, 12:34 PM

Supernal Clarity (ToB, 137) is probably the most useful melee weapon. It nets you Sapphire Nightmare Blade 5/day, plus haste 5/day for a round. The later SLAs aren't bad but are still underwhelming. The capstone of Time Stop is, well, it's Time Stop, even if you are expected to be a fightan' man.

Looking at the others in ToB, Kamate, Umbral Awn, and Tiger Fang all have some niche. If you could somehow get Aptitude on Tiger Fang, it'd be funny for crit fishing builds.

A while back, someone made a list on "worth while" weapons compared to WBL. I'll see if I can't dig it up.