PDA

View Full Version : 3.P + d20 Future?

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-03-28, 08:01 PM
Question: Does anyone here have any experience crossing d20 Modern/d20 Future elements over with a standard 3.P setting? If so, how did it work out? Are there any pitfalls one should be aware of while doing so? Is it something that can be done? Is it something that should be done? I am unfamiliar with both d20 Modern and d20 Future, so I am starting with a blank slate here.

Background: I have been thinking about converting the old 2nd edition AD&D module, Tale of the Comet to Pathfinder rules. If you are not familiar with that module, it was a mini-campaign that involved an epic sci-fi interstellar war crashing into a basic AD&D setting.

Now, my primary problem is that the standard Pathfinder classes won’t work well for these futuristic invaders. Even the Fighter is built with a bit of faux-medieval flavor. Rather than try to homebrew up a solution from scratch, I got thinking that perhaps I could instead use material from d20 Modern and d20 Future to help fill the gaps.

Think this could work?

deuxhero
2012-03-28, 08:28 PM
If you are not familiar with that module, it was a mini-campaign that involved an epic sci-fi interstellar war crashing into a basic AD&D setting.

It's 2E content? So SO:TtoT wasn't just terrible, but terrible AND unoriginal? Cool!

As for the crossover, it depends on what you want to port.

For Fighter, I don't really see it being forced into the setting beyond proficiencies. You could try PF's gunslinger or one of the homebrew ranged martial adept schools if you want something different.

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-03-28, 08:53 PM
It's 2E content? So SO:TtoT wasn't just terrible, but terrible AND unoriginal? Cool!

I don’t think I know what SO: TtoT is.

And I am pretty certain Tale of the Comet was not the first to use this concept either. Hell, if you count Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, it isn’t even the first D&D module to use the sci-fi + sword and sorcery angle. Though Expedition to the Barrier Peaks featured an ancient crashed ship rather than a full on war. So no aliens—just technology.

Then, of course, there is Spelljammer, which is simply sword and sorcery… IN SPACE!

For Fighter, I don't really see it being forced into the setting beyond proficiencies.

The extra weapons and armor training doesn’t work very well conceptually. The aliens’ armaments do not have much variety, and I do not feel that there should be due to various background reasons. So that leaves the gradual boosts to weapon groups rather meaningless. And the armor, being all futuristic will already be lightweight and grant a measure of damage reduction, so the armor training is redundant, at best.

Even if I was going to use the Fighter as a starting point, I would have to figure out something equivalent to replace those abilities with.

You could try PF's gunslinger or one of the homebrew ranged martial adept schools if you want something different.

I’ll see about taking a look at those.

deuxhero
2012-03-28, 09:57 PM
Oh, PF Fighter. Was thinking of just the 3.5 "Hope you like feats" Fighter.

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-03-30, 06:00 AM
Oh, PF Fighter. Was thinking of just the 3.5 "Hope you like feats" Fighter.
Well, I am going for Pathfinder…

In any case that is something else to consider. May need a few future-appropriate feats.