PDA

View Full Version : Cleric question?

Harry
2012-03-28, 08:02 PM
Can a cleric choose two or more separate deities and basically make a custom pantheon? for instance could a chaotic neutral cleric pray to Kord and beltar and still gain spells? Could he choose domains from both deities?

Madcrafter
2012-03-28, 08:05 PM
A cleric who has no particular god can choose their two domains more or less as they see fit. As for worshiping two deities at once, that seems to me to be more campaign dependent, and therefore up to the DM.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-03-28, 09:00 PM
Can a cleric choose two or more separate deities and basically make a custom pantheon? for instance could a chaotic neutral cleric pray to Kord and beltar and still gain spells? Could he choose domains from both deities?

The Eberron Campaign Setting give guidelines for worshiping an entire pantheon (choosing between all of their domains) instead of a single diety - is this along the lines of what you were thinking?

Harry
2012-03-28, 10:34 PM
The Eberron Campaign Setting give guidelines for worshiping an entire pantheon (choosing between all of their domains) instead of a single diety - is this along the lines of what you were thinking?

I know of them I am asking if you could choose I don't know let's say 5 random deities pray to them then gain accese to there domain and if a deity not part of a pantheon would still grant spells to a cleric who prays to him and some deity he doesn't know the reason i am asking is because one of my friends wants to try it in our next campaign the dm says he'll allow it if it's raw sorry for the confusion :smallredface:

Kuulvheysoon
2012-03-28, 11:00 PM
I know of them I am asking if you could choose I don't know let's say 5 random deities pray to them then gain accese to there domain and if a deity not part of a pantheon would still grant spells to a cleric who prays to him and some deity he doesn't know the reason i am asking is because one of my friends wants to try it in our next campaign the dm says he'll allow it if it's raw sorry for the confusion :smallredface:

Heretic of the Faith (Power of Faerun), besides allowing you to seriously violate your deities edicts (but not your alignment ones) and being 2 steps removed from their alignment (Paladin of a CG diety!), lets you pick a new favored weapon and a domain of your choice (subject to DM approval, of course).

Harry
2012-03-28, 11:19 PM
Heretic of the Faith (Power of Faerun), besides allowing you to seriously violate your deities edicts (but not your alignment ones) and being 2 steps removed from their alignment (Paladin of a CG diety!), lets you pick a new favored weapon and a domain of your choice (subject to DM approval, of course).

Thank you I'll see if he likes the feat Ty all :smallbiggrin:

erikun
2012-03-28, 11:24 PM
A cleric may pray to as many deities as they want. However, by RAW, you would only gain powers from one of them, and your domain choices (and other restrictions) would be be limited to them. A CN cleric could pray to Kord and Beltar, and any other deity they'd like to, but would only get their spells from Kord (as a cleric of Kord) or their spells from Beltar (as a cleric of Beltar).

A cleric could also, for example, choose to become a cleric of Animals and Strength, or whatever domains you wish, and worship both Kord and Beltar but gain powers from neither. In this case, the character would be a CN cleric of their ideals, rather than a cleric of a specific deity.

Worshipping multiple deities and getting seperate domains from each isn't covered in the rules and so isn't valid by RAW. I would strongly suggest that such a character has a well thought out reason for doing so and is watched how they choose their actions; someone following the teachings of a CG deity and a CE deity at the same time will likely find conflicts in many situations.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-03-28, 11:32 PM
Worshipping multiple deities and getting seperate domains from each isn't covered in the rules and so isn't valid by RAW. I would strongly suggest that such a character has a well thought out reason for doing so and is watched how they choose their actions; someone following the teachings of a CG deity and a CE deity at the same time will likely find conflicts in many situations.

Exception: As mentioned earlier, the ECS has rules for worshiping a pantheon, which lets you pick and choose from among ALL of the gods' domains.

Likely only to come up in an Eberron game, but exceptions are exceptions, eh?

Particle_Man
2012-03-29, 01:10 AM
Talk to your DM.

Another option is to find some minor deity that gives you what you want from the pantheon. One of Kord's sons or something like that. Again, ask your DM.

Darrin
2012-03-29, 11:33 AM
Exception: As mentioned earlier, the ECS has rules for worshiping a pantheon, which lets you pick and choose from among ALL of the gods' domains.

Likely only to come up in an Eberron game, but exceptions are exceptions, eh?

This is also allowed in Deities & Demigods. You can choose to worship an entire pantheon, such as Olympian, Norse, Egyptian, etc. This allows you to pick from a much wider variety of domains (nearly all of them), and may allow you to pick from a vareity of favored weapons. The individual deities all have varying alignments, but you can worship them all at once.