PDA

View Full Version : Stay true to your character or de-rail him/her for another player's sake?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-03-28, 09:04 PM
This is a pretty specific problem; but I am really at a loss on what to do. So in the game I am playing in I am playing a hardened killer with a serious problem with the settings inquisition, the problem is so serious that my character tries to kill any Inquisitor on sight, yes I know it might sounds like that is the problem; but really the Inquisition in this setting are a bunch of Knight Templars whose sole purpose is to kill anything with supernatural abilities or powers (ie. almost all player characters).

The problem arose when as a special birtday boon (my Dm's gives everyone in the table a boon for his characters on the player's birthday) another player receive the opportunity to try and fulfil the summoning contracts he had failed before (In Anima Beyond Fantasy, the invocations will give the prospective summoner a test before they allow him to summon them) and one of such contracts states: "No rival or enemy of you (the summoner) must be in mortal danger during the conflict for the next 10 combats", bad since not killing an enemy has bitten us in the ass before; but worse is that the contract in a way applies to other party members, the summoner can't kill them but neither do we.

Even then it wouldn't be such a problem (I missed a few sessions and my character wasn't present for 3 or 4 combats); but the current arc in the game just reached it's final leg and guess what? The arc is focusing on making our way through the high inquisitors to save a party member who was captured....

So what should I do in this case? Do I stay true to my character and fly into a murderous rage against the inquisitors and try to kill them to the best of my ability thus making my friends character loose the opportunity to make the contract? Or do I "forget" about that part of my character and avoid trying to kill the inquisitors?.

Beleriphon
2012-03-28, 09:14 PM
character and fly into a murderous rage against the inquisitors and try to kill them to the best of my ability thus making my friends character loose the opportunity to make the contract? Or do I "forget" about that part of my character and avoid trying to kill the inquisitors?.

I think the answer should be pretty obvious, make fun go forward. You have complete control of your character at all times, its not "derailing" to make them do something that is "against their character". So yes, I would expect that you would make an effort to rein in the homocidal mania in game for the sake of somebody that is presumably your friend.

Please read: http://www.giantitp.com/articles/tll307KmEm4H9k6efFP.html

Specifically the section titled Decide to React Differently.

Serpentine
2012-03-28, 09:32 PM
I'd say, assuming these things aren't secret or unknown, that an in-character conversation is in order.

NikitaDarkstar
2012-03-28, 09:46 PM
I'd say, assuming these things aren't secret or unknown, that an in-character conversation is in order.

This.

Really it's an IC problem and should be solved IC. (But yes, if asked, at least TRY to not kill anything, and hopefully the DM has enough decency in him to let the summoner fulfill the contract before getting to the boss.)

GoatToucher
2012-03-28, 09:54 PM
That, or RP trying to get your friend to stay behind, as the job at hand will necessitate a lot of murder, which would cause her problems.

"The next ten combats" is an awful system IMO. What's to stop me from starting (and losing) ten bar fights and calling it a day?

Knaight
2012-03-28, 10:29 PM
I think the answer should be pretty obvious, make fun go forward. You have complete control of your character at all times, its not "derailing" to make them do something that is "against their character". So yes, I would expect that you would make an effort to rein in the homocidal mania in game for the sake of somebody that is presumably your friend.

Please read: http://www.giantitp.com/articles/tll307KmEm4H9k6efFP.html

Specifically the section titled Decide to React Differently.
Decide to React Differently applies just as much to the person taking this contract and dictating the actions of the other characters. I say stay true to the character - in character conflict is usually fun for all the players anyways.

Averis Vol
2012-03-29, 01:33 AM
you don't have to kill them, just drop them into the drooling negatives with either lethal or non lethal means. if you enjoy killing them, you'll get just as much joy pummeling in their skulls until they're asking tweety what time it is. plus it leaves something to return to after those ten combats, if it were me i'd just keep lettin em get back up so i could hit them again :smallbiggrin:

Beleriphon
2012-03-29, 01:43 AM
Decide to React Differently applies just as much to the person taking this contract and dictating the actions of the other characters. I say stay true to the character - in character conflict is usually fun for all the players anyways.

True, but the DM being a bit of jerk for foisting the whole situation on the group though. If that's the situation you have hand, as given by the DM I'd at least try to work with it.

Panda24
2012-03-29, 06:15 AM
While I think the DM has the right to do something like this, I think it's pretty harsh of them to include your known archenemies like that.
Unless the DM planned for you to talk your way through the inquisitors all along, to try and change the characters behaviour:smallconfused:
I would try to steer the party into some woods for some random encounters or something :smalltongue:

Siegel
2012-03-29, 06:51 AM
Your character does not exist, all his choices are your's to make. Speak with the player with the contract and see what he thinks. In the end, don't ruin his fun without him knowing you will do that.

I don't think the GM is a jerk here, i think it's a cool move that creates drama and will tell the group more about the characters.

FatJose
2012-03-29, 07:15 AM
How much does your character care about the summoner's wishes? just because you want to do something doesn't mean you can't try to resist your compulsions for the good of a friend. Seems like a good opportunity for role-play and fleshing out your character's personality to me.

Knaight
2012-03-29, 05:40 PM
Your character does not exist, all his choices are your's to make. Speak with the player with the contract and see what he thinks. In the end, don't ruin his fun without him knowing you will do that.

I'm trying to see how the player who had their character make the contract isn't the one ruining fun here. That contract was pretty much a "hey, you can't play your character anymore", or a "I'm taking this knowing as a player it will be broken, to fuel in character conflict". Assuming that the group is functional, it is probably the second, and breaking it is just going along with the plan. If it is the first, it's a jerk move anyways, and not going along with it is fine (though actually ruining their fun isn't, but this is one minor thing).

Friv
2012-03-29, 10:24 PM
I'm trying to see how the player who had their character make the contract isn't the one ruining fun here. That contract was pretty much a "hey, you can't play your character anymore", or a "I'm taking this knowing as a player it will be broken, to fuel in character conflict". Assuming that the group is functional, it is probably the second, and breaking it is just going along with the plan. If it is the first, it's a jerk move anyways, and not going along with it is fine (though actually ruining their fun isn't, but this is one minor thing).

I'm guessing that when he decided to try and make that one, he didn't know what the mission coming up was going to wind up being.

This does seem to be a good opportunity for an in-character discussion, followed by some serious soul-searching on both of your parts. Is your character's revenge more important to him than his friend? Conversely, is your friend's path to power more important to him than helping you with your own problems?

But before you have the IC conversation, you might choose to have an OOC one, yeah. Determine if either of these things is critical enough that you feel that you won't enjoy the character any more if they are not present. If not, you can go hog-wild and play out what happens. If so, you should probably decide to let someone give ground, and then the other guy can give ground on another matter at another time.

Serpentine
2012-03-29, 10:27 PM
Another option, particularly if they're not really friends: what will that character give your character in exchange for reining in his homicidal tendencies?

Kol Korran
2012-03-30, 04:51 AM
The giant's article and some advice on that general direction have been mentioned allready.

in the end i think this is a great opportunity: conflict and strange obstacles make interesting and cool play, if you guys are willing to try and find a way to do it that won't feel like a sham.

this does demand some sort of compromise between players, and possibly between characters. If you guys are fine with it it could be quite awesome. think of the best TV programs- most had major conflicts between the protagonists and they all involved them doing things they didn't want to do some way or another.

as have been mentioned- if you're worried, talk to the player before hand (if you are mature enough and trust each other enough you could just roll with it. it could be fun reacting to the other without arranging things in advance. takes some willingness to accept the unexpected though, and adjust quickly).
something i found useful was for each party member to declare 2-3 "red lines" he requests the other not to cross. these should be crucial stuff that will destroy the player's fun.

after that, by all means try and solve this in play. i'd suggest not to come to a hurried simple solution/ contract, but play it out a little, such as your character trying to "stretch" the meaning of "mortal danger" in the contract ("they just lost their limbs, eyes and tongues, they'll live!", "someone will come to help them off the ledge in 1 hour, half a day tops!", "look, i called the medics, ok?") and so on...

good luck to ya!