PDA

View Full Version : I think I just dealt with the worst gaming session

Pages : 1 [2]

Green Bean
2007-09-07, 08:55 AM
Speaking of old threads about stupid DMs, does anyone have a link to the one where Shiyuyan (or what was his name... it was so long ago...) writes about the worst DM/player he ever met? It was a story about a nation of Viking-Japanese crossover people fighting off sort-of-Mongol invaders.

I think I remember it. Was that the one where he actually ends up in a martial arts battle with the guy?

starwoof
2007-09-07, 09:08 AM
I think I remember it. Was that the one where he actually ends up in a martial arts battle with the guy?

Yeah, that was it. I think this is it. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22434&page=2&highlight=mongol) <-- Please don't post there, because I will feel responsible. Please. Pretty pretty please.

I remember this story... and while I never posted I was following along the whole time. Scary stuff.

Runolfr
2007-09-07, 09:18 AM
To be honest, the character-flaw seems a little... well, let's say it has the potential to abuse. If I approved it, I would just live with it but I think I might have played up the 'witch' angle (less than he did though) just for added tension.

Oh, don't be absurd. The 'witch angle' was a completely contrived way to try to keep Lanky from getting his potions made. It's obvious that from minute one, PsychoDM was looking for an excuse to knock some Con points off Lanky's character, which is just bad DM-ing. There was no indication that this "Orc warlord" storyline should be revolving around Lanky's curse and its associated complications.

Lanky got one free feat with pretty limited use in exchange for a potential very serious disability. As he said, if his character were to be captured and relieved of his possessions, he could easily be dead in just a few days. Lanky had to spend a fair number of skill points to make sure he had the means to keep his character supplied with potions, which is a liability in its own right. Skill Focus (alchemy) offsets the disadvantage, which is perfectly appropriate.

PsychoDM was an ass on many levels, whereas Lanky was behaving sensibly the entire time, as far as I can tell.

Tengu
2007-09-07, 09:32 AM
Yeah, that was it. I think this is it. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22434&page=2&highlight=mongol) <-- Please don't post there, because I will feel responsible. Please. Pretty pretty please.

I remember this story... and while I never posted I was following along the whole time. Scary stuff.

That's exactly what I was looking for! I think I should put it in my sig so I won't forget it.

Dragonmuncher
2007-09-07, 10:52 AM
I have nothing to contribute, I just wanted to post here before the thread got locked...

Hooray!

Green Bean
2007-09-07, 10:54 AM

Heh. Good times. :smallbiggrin:

Icewalker
2007-09-23, 10:17 PM
Damn, that's an impressive story.

And a freaking awesome character. Can I use that sometime?

Leon
2007-09-24, 12:52 AM
Man, I'd be pissed if that happened to me. RPG books are EXPENSIVE already without having to replace damaged ones... Hope you didn't lose any to the soda.

ive had a similar thing happen with beer - i'd be more pissed about it if i wasnt the one who knocked the beer over

Tengu
2007-09-24, 06:26 AM
And a freaking awesome character. Can I use that sometime?

TLB's last post was almost half a year ago. The chances of him responding to that are very slim.

Leicontis
2007-09-24, 03:37 PM
Much as I hate to participate in necromancy, I think this just had to be said:

Am I the only one that thinks it might be a good idea for PDM's ex to get a TRO as well? If he's willing to go this far over something that reminded him of the breakup, a year and a half later, it wouldn't be that surprising to me if he started stalking her.

GammaPaladin
2008-03-25, 05:03 AM
/me waves his hands and shouts in a deep monotone:

"ANIMATE THREAD!"

Sorry, I just read this, and had to comment... Someone said there was no reason to be afraid of this guy because he's a coward. I'd like to point out that cowards are the people you should be the most concerned about. A person who is not courage-impaired will punch you in the face when you piss him off sufficiently. This makes him a threat you can deal with.

A coward does not have enough confidence or willpower to attack you openly, so he will stew about it with no way to vent his feelings. People like this are the ones you need to be the most concerned about. They're the people who poison you, or burn your house down in the middle of the night. They attack with a knife in the back while you're sleeping and can't defend yourself.

In short, they are dangerous scum.

As for the issue of the wall scrolls and provocation, I'd like to point out that provoking someone is not a crime... Anywhere, really. Certainly not doing so with decorations on your own property.

Additionally, if someone is a potential threat to you, and you have a restraining order against them, provoking them into violating it is both legal and smart, because now you can have them neutralized as a threat for a long period of time.

Fenix_of_Doom
2008-03-25, 08:58 AM
I find it quite funny that a thread was necro-ed which ended with other people saying you shouldn't necro a thread.

Lupy
2008-03-25, 10:43 AM
Good God! That was a horror story! Even more so cuz it was necroed twice...

Number 6
2008-03-25, 11:12 AM
Naw, I'm mostly joking, but it's very easy to get away with assault or even - in particular cases - murder in self-defense or defense of one's property in this state. And firearms are pretty damn common for self-defense.

It's not quite that easy to get away with Assult with a Deadly Weapon in Texas. I know he's only joking, but FYI you can only shoot someone if they threaten you and don't leave when you tell them to. A guy here caught some people robbing his house and shot one in the back while they were running away. He is in serious trouble, up for homicide charges because 1) they were not threatening him, and 2) they were leaving at the time.

Corsec1337
2008-03-25, 11:28 AM
Good God! That was a horror story! Even more so cuz it was necroed twice...

Shows it's a good story though. :elan:

Number 6
2008-03-25, 12:22 PM
I don't think they compare, but some of my worst gaming sessions:

I was running a character who was a smart ass. I figure that the other players know that my comments are IC and not personal, also all comments are directed at NPCs and PCs, not the players themselves. One woman became so angry at me that she not only killed that character, she killed the next six characters I ran in that campaign. I don't know why the DM let her.

A game run at Trinity University here in San Antonio, TX. The DM gets off on evil. He blatantly awards people for doing evil deeds and not for doing good. Soon he's got a competition going on who can be the most evil and, therefore, the GM's boy. As a month passes, they go from murder to rape to cannibiliasm to torture to child molesting (while making the parents watch) to even worse things, but I heard about this second hand. I had dropped out after one game.

A different Psycho DM. He held his games in his garage because he didn't allow people in his house. He was afraid that they would fall down or something and sue him. He yells at people, and I mean shouts, for the slightest reason. Two weeks in a row I show up late; he spends an hour yelling at me before the game can even begin. I want to drop out, but I'm the transportation for someone who wants to keep playing (God only knows why), so I hang around. Then I spill coke on the cement floor of the garage. He goes ballistic screaming at everyone, orders us all out of the garage, swears that he will never let me play again, etc. etc. I run into him in the hobby store three weeks later and he starts yelling at me all over again for the spilled coke.

BTW, this guys game was as bad as his attitude. The party was always accompanied by NPCs that were 10+ levels higher than the PCs. They would kill all the monsters and accomplish the missions while the players just watched. These NPCs were also all beautiful nymphomaniacs, too. (BTW, the most powerful player race in the game were people from the Empire of Arn. They got all kinds of special benefits that other PC races didn't. But they were "opposed" to wearing clothes...)When the party tried to sneak away without the NPCs so we could do some adventuring of our own, the NPCs tracked us down and insisted on tagging along for no apparant reason. When we tried to fire the NPCs, the GM flew into a rage, screamed at us, and docked us experience points for disrespecting the DM.

This happened two months ago. I'm GMing a game. Every time the party gets treasure, a player argues with me that I'm being too stingy. He e-mails me three or four times a week giving long convoluted arguments and qouting rules about CRs and treasure levels. He even has his wife e-mail me to argue on his behalf. When I don't reply to her post, she sends a ranting letter to all the people in the game, written all in capital letters, calling me a "male chauvenist piglet" because "I was ignoring [her] because I didn't think a woman's opinion mattered" and saying that I will not be allowed to set foot in their (where they insist that the group must hold games because hubby doesn't like to play anywhere else) house until I give her an official apology. I have not seen them since.

One DM I had was gay. I had no problem with that, but his characters kept "coming on" to my characters. They were pretty blatant and persistent. I suspected that he was using them as a cover to "come on" to me. When I gently informed him that, while I had to problems with gay people, I was straight and my character was straight, he stopped inviting me to his game.

In another game, we had a gay player. Once again, I had to problem with this. But when I mentioned to them that I couldn't come to a game on Sunday morning because I would be in church, he became very hostile. He's convinced that all religious people are gay bashing fundamentalist bigots. He kept lecturing me about how I should leave behind my "stupid superstition" and started lobbying the other players to have me ejected from the game behind my back. He eventually succeeded.

I go to one of the first gaming conventions held in Texas. In the open gaming room, I start a game for 5-6 level characters. The plot hook for the adventure was the old "friend or family member is kidnapped." I asked one player if his character has any brothers or sisters, parents, friends living in the city. He says he doesn't know. I soon find that, out of the five players present, they all know exactly what THACO, damage, spells, and magic items but they have never bothered to make up a background for the character. Most don't even have a name.

I tried a Champions game, which is a super hero game using the Fantasy Hero system. I made up a character which I thought was pretty powerful, he had a combat value of 10 and did 14 dice of damage with his attack. The other players were very good at twisting the character creation rules and exploiting loopholes, and there are a lot of loopholes in Hero. The average combat value was 20 and the average attack did 24 dice. One guy had a 20 dice area affect attack which only affected "enemies." Another was able to turn people into babies with one attack. The one who took the cake was a guy who bought all his powers at a hefty discount because they only worked "when he's touching the ground." Yet he could fly, and all of his powers worked while flying. How did he manage that? He had special shoes that were filled with dirt so he was always "touching ground".

In college, I ran a game for a new group. The players insisted that I use the optional psionics rules. They flatly refused to play unless we used them. And they used them very "imaginatively". One player insisted that he could kill a room full of bugbears in one round using "body expansion" because he would expand his body to fill the whole room and crush all of them. When I told him that he could not, he argued and would not drop it for a solid hour until I have up, gathered my books, and left.

These were the worst, but almost all of the games I tried were filled with monty haulers, munchkins, and power gamers. I actually quit RPGs for nine years becasue I was convinced that they were all nuts. I'm thinking of quitting again now becasue, at the last D&D game I went to, I pointed out to the DM that a magic user gets 1d4 HP per level but does 1d6 HP per level with a fire ball or lightning bolt, only MUs with a high Con bonus would last more than one round in a magic duel after fifth level. He became so angry that I was finding fault with the D&D rules that he ordered me to leave the game. I'm generally an easy going guy who has had no problems getting long with people except in RPGs.

Lucyfur
2008-03-26, 07:11 AM
I don't think they compare, but some of my worst gaming sessions:

I was running a character who was a smart ass. I figure that the other players know that my comments are IC and not personal, also all comments are directed at NPCs and PCs, not the players themselves. One woman became so angry at me that she not only killed that character, she killed the next six characters I ran in that campaign. I don't know why the DM let her.

A game run at Trinity University here in San Antonio, TX. The DM gets off on evil. He blatantly awards people for doing evil deeds and not for doing good. Soon he's got a competition going on who can be the most evil and, therefore, the GM's boy. As a month passes, they go from murder to rape to cannibiliasm to torture to child molesting (while making the parents watch) to even worse things, but I heard about this second hand. I had dropped out after one game.

A different Psycho DM. He held his games in his garage because he didn't allow people in his house. He was afraid that they would fall down or something and sue him. He yells at people, and I mean shouts, for the slightest reason. Two weeks in a row I show up late; he spends an hour yelling at me before the game can even begin. I want to drop out, but I'm the transportation for someone who wants to keep playing (God only knows why), so I hang around. Then I spill coke on the cement floor of the garage. He goes ballistic screaming at everyone, orders us all out of the garage, swears that he will never let me play again, etc. etc. I run into him in the hobby store three weeks later and he starts yelling at me all over again for the spilled coke.

BTW, this guys game was as bad as his attitude. The party was always accompanied by NPCs that were 10+ levels higher than the PCs. They would kill all the monsters and accomplish the missions while the players just watched. These NPCs were also all beautiful nymphomaniacs, too. (BTW, the most powerful player race in the game were people from the Empire of Arn. They got all kinds of special benefits that other PC races didn't. But they were "opposed" to wearing clothes...)When the party tried to sneak away without the NPCs so we could do some adventuring of our own, the NPCs tracked us down and insisted on tagging along for no apparant reason. When we tried to fire the NPCs, the GM flew into a rage, screamed at us, and docked us experience points for disrespecting the DM.

This happened two months ago. I'm GMing a game. Every time the party gets treasure, a player argues with me that I'm being too stingy. He e-mails me three or four times a week giving long convoluted arguments and qouting rules about CRs and treasure levels. He even has his wife e-mail me to argue on his behalf. When I don't reply to her post, she sends a ranting letter to all the people in the game, written all in capital letters, calling me a "male chauvenist piglet" because "I was ignoring [her] because I didn't think a woman's opinion mattered" and saying that I will not be allowed to set foot in their (where they insist that the group must hold games because hubby doesn't like to play anywhere else) house until I give her an official apology. I have not seen them since.

One DM I had was gay. I had no problem with that, but his characters kept "coming on" to my characters. They were pretty blatant and persistent. I suspected that he was using them as a cover to "come on" to me. When I gently informed him that, while I had to problems with gay people, I was straight and my character was straight, he stopped inviting me to his game.

In another game, we had a gay player. Once again, I had to problem with this. But when I mentioned to them that I couldn't come to a game on Sunday morning because I would be in church, he became very hostile. He's convinced that all religious people are gay bashing fundamentalist bigots. He kept lecturing me about how I should leave behind my "stupid superstition" and started lobbying the other players to have me ejected from the game behind my back. He eventually succeeded.

I go to one of the first gaming conventions held in Texas. In the open gaming room, I start a game for 5-6 level characters. The plot hook for the adventure was the old "friend or family member is kidnapped." I asked one player if his character has any brothers or sisters, parents, friends living in the city. He says he doesn't know. I soon find that, out of the five players present, they all know exactly what THACO, damage, spells, and magic items but they have never bothered to make up a background for the character. Most don't even have a name.

I tried a Champions game, which is a super hero game using the Fantasy Hero system. I made up a character which I thought was pretty powerful, he had a combat value of 10 and did 14 dice of damage with his attack. The other players were very good at twisting the character creation rules and exploiting loopholes, and there are a lot of loopholes in Hero. The average combat value was 20 and the average attack did 24 dice. One guy had a 20 dice area affect attack which only affected "enemies." Another was able to turn people into babies with one attack. The one who took the cake was a guy who bought all his powers at a hefty discount because they only worked "when he's touching the ground." Yet he could fly, and all of his powers worked while flying. How did he manage that? He had special shoes that were filled with dirt so he was always "touching ground".

In college, I ran a game for a new group. The players insisted that I use the optional psionics rules. They flatly refused to play unless we used them. And they used them very "imaginatively". One player insisted that he could kill a room full of bugbears in one round using "body expansion" because he would expand his body to fill the whole room and crush all of them. When I told him that he could not, he argued and would not drop it for a solid hour until I have up, gathered my books, and left.

These were the worst, but almost all of the games I tried were filled with monty haulers, munchkins, and power gamers. I actually quit RPGs for nine years becasue I was convinced that they were all nuts. I'm thinking of quitting again now becasue, at the last D&D game I went to, I pointed out to the DM that a magic user gets 1d4 HP per level but does 1d6 HP per level with a fire ball or lightning bolt, only MUs with a high Con bonus would last more than one round in a magic duel after fifth level. He became so angry that I was finding fault with the D&D rules that he ordered me to leave the game. I'm generally an easy going guy who has had no problems getting long with people except in RPGs.

No Frickin Way! I refuse to believe that a single person could ever go though all of those different horror stories.

Ecalsneerg
2008-03-26, 07:23 AM
I think that one horrific story (or stories) gives this thread a whole new meaning. :eek:

PersonMan
2010-06-01, 11:15 PM
Please don't necro threads. Seriously, read these again. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1)

The Glyphstone
2010-06-01, 11:17 PM
Um.....did you just necro a two-year old thread to ask someone not to necro the thread? Or was there a culprit who deleted his post?

PersonMan
2010-06-01, 11:19 PM
Yep. It got deleted. Fast, too!

...I guess we wait for threadlock, then?

Magikeeper
2010-06-01, 11:20 PM
Yeah, I followed a link. Didn't check the date. I deleted before someone told me even. :(

PersonMan
2010-06-01, 11:21 PM
Yeah, I followed a link. Didn't check the date. I deleted before someone told me even. :(

Classic mistake, it seems like this has been happening pretty often.

The Glyphstone
2010-06-01, 11:24 PM
The irony is that this thread has endured three consecutive necros, each of increasing length. Maybe the mods will feel ironic and let it sink back into obscurity untouched?

PersonMan
2010-06-01, 11:26 PM
Maybe. Let's stop posting and see, alright?

*Ironic pause, lasting for three years until someone necroes this thread again*

If you're reading this and want to post, check the date. If it is more than 2 months since that date, do not post!

Heliomance
2010-06-02, 12:02 AM
It is an epic thread, though.

Salbazier
2010-06-02, 09:38 AM
The OP was ... horror, indeed.

The continuation, and the revelation, is even more so.

What even more amazing is that this thread is around four years old and had gone trough mulitple reanimation! What is this thread? The Mummy? :smallamused:

*I just had to post before this thread got closed*

Bharg
2010-06-02, 10:38 AM
The irony is that this thread has endured three consecutive necros, each of increasing length. Maybe the mods will feel ironic and let it sink back into obscurity untouched?

Well, I am actually GLaD that I could also read That Lanky Bugger's story which is, indeed, very well written. Very creepy how it turned out in the end.

Gamerlord
2010-06-02, 10:54 AM
http://www.sw-fans.net/imagegallery/data/502/threadnecro.jpg

:smalltongue:

EDIT: Darn image is not working. Here is a link (http://www.thequietrevolution.ca/quiet/images/ThreadNecro.jpg)

ScionoftheVoid
2010-06-02, 10:56 AM
Probably already mentioned somewhere but there are more stories from the same person, including one in which he (as a player, not a character) is stabbed. Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93633) and here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95189). Sorry about continuing this necro.

Knaight
2010-06-02, 11:04 AM
Those links are just creepy. It really shouldn't have got worse, and some of the conversation in the third one is worrying.

2xMachina
2010-06-02, 11:41 AM
Ninja//necromancer?

Salbazier
2010-06-02, 12:59 PM
Uh, in the mid-reading of the third one until just now. That was really, really bad (though not an unertaining read, at least until the third thread and even more on the discussion)

A horror story with an aesop I think

Now, I''ll shy away from this untread bussiness and practice some decent magic instead

hangedman1984
2010-06-02, 02:28 PM
seriously, it seems like the universe doesn't want the OP to ever enjoy an rpg...ever

Irreverent Fool
2010-06-02, 03:42 PM
It lives (yet) again!

grimbold
2010-07-26, 05:16 PM
and here i was thinking that my dm making me lose my treasure and not giving me magic items for a whole campaign was unreasonable! this is just.. like beyond comprehension.
For the record the no magic item campaign was actually ok b/c my characters were overpowered and i had grimbold the barbarian...
in our campaign world grimbold the barbarian is currently a god of slaughter after killing nethryull :)

SurlySeraph
2010-07-26, 05:45 PM
This thread is four years old and the last two and a half pages are people mentioning that posting in it is thread necromancy. Why did you feel compelled to post?

Prodan
2010-07-26, 05:46 PM
But this new story is just so compelling!

Roland St. Jude
2010-07-26, 08:35 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: This thing apparently had four lives. Too bad it didn't have five. Feel free to create a new one, if you'd like, but this one's been dormant too long to be revived.