PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The Epic Dread Necromancer [WIP]

RaggedAngel
2012-03-28, 11:24 PM
The Epic Dread Necromancer

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-3ZsWqQYEd9I/TqOA7WqfDjI/AAAAAAAAAdQ/fR8F03rbM0g/s1600/Lich.JPG

In light of the fact that the Wizards of the Coast never bothered to give an Epic progression for one of my favorite Tier 3 classes, I took the liberty of making a progression all my own, below. The Dread Necromancer's class features take an interesting turn with the application of the Lich template at level 20, so I did my best to improvise. (And yes, they get the Lich template at 20. Don't give me that CustServ crap; they've never slogged through 20 levels as a flavorful-but-mediocre caster.)

Hit Die: d12

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier. Add Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive, and Spot to their skill list.

{table=head]Dread Necromancer Level|Special

21st|Charnel Touch, Scabrous Touch 4/day

22nd|-

23rd|Negative Energy Burst 5/day

24th|Advanced Learning

25th|Bonus Feat

26th|Scabrous Touch 5/day

27th|Negative Energy Burst 6/day

28th|Advanced Learning

29th|-

30th|Demilich Transformation[/table]

Spells: The Dread Necromancer’s caster level is equal to his or her class level. The Dread Necromancer’s number of spells per day does not increase after 20th level. The Dread Necromancer does not learn additional spells unless he or she selects the Spell Knowledge feat, or by their Advanced Learning Class feature.

Familiar: The Dread Necromancer’s familiar continues to increase in power. Every two levels beyond 20th the familiar’s natural armor and Intelligence each increase by +1. The familiar’s spell resistance is equal to the master’s class level + 5. At 21st level and again every ten levels higher than 21st, the familiar gains the benefit of the Familiar Spell epic feat for a spell of its master’s choice.

Class Features: All the Dread Necromancer's level-dependent class features (Charnel Touch, Scabrous Touch, Negative Energy Burst, Advanced Learning) continue to advance, and their increased uses per day are shown on the class feature chart, as applicable.

Demilich Transformation: When a Dread Necromancer attains 30th level, she undergoes a further transformation, becoming a demilich (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/demilich.htm). A Dread Necromancer need not pay experience points or gold to create her eight soul gems.
A dread necromancer who is not a lich (possibly due to a True Resurrection spell) does not gain this class feature.

Bonus Feat: The Epic Dread Necromancer can select a bonus feat (selected from the list of Epic Dread Necromancer bonus feats) every five levels after 20th, excluding level 30.

Epic Dread Necromancer Bonus Feat List: Automatic Quicken Spell, Automatic Silent Spell, Automatic Still Spell, Energy Resistance, Enhance Spell, Epic Spell Focus, Epic Spell Penetration, Epic Spellcasting, Familiar Spell, Ignore Material Components, Improved Combat Casting, Improved Heighten Spell, Improved Metamagic, Improved Spell Capacity, Intensify Spell, Master Staff, Master Wand, Multispell, Permanent Emanation, Spell Knowledge, Spell Stowaway, Spell Opportunity, Undead Mastery, Zone of Animation

And that's it. Any advice on additional feat options or things to include in the table? Note that I intentionally did not advance any class features that are subsumed by the Lich template, like the DR or the bonus to mental saves.

bobthe6th
2012-03-28, 11:30 PM
add the demilich template (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/demilich.htm)after a while... its got to be an epic lich to!

SaintRidley
2012-03-28, 11:32 PM
add the demilich template (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/demilich.htm)after a while... its got to be an epic lich to!

Agreed. Make level 30 upgrade you to Demilich for free.

RaggedAngel
2012-03-28, 11:33 PM

I'm really debating whether this will be appropriate to add after ten levels; look at the LA on that template, not to mention all the bonuses you receive. And, remember, Epic progressions are meant to continue forever, and therefore usually only contain class features that follow repeating patterns. It's hard to claim turning into a Lich is a repeating pattern.

That said, if enough people are fine with it then I'll make the tenth level Special be Demilich Transformation. :smallsmile:

EDIT-
Agreed. Make level 30 upgrade you to Demilich for free.
I was swordsage'd by this. I think it's a sign. :smallamused:

bobthe6th
2012-03-28, 11:37 PM
its epic... just change the abilaties a little such that it gradualy grows into demilich hood. around level 30 or so.

sonofzeal
2012-03-29, 12:40 AM
Just a note - epic progressions that offer substantial features generally only give bonus epic feats every 4th level, rather than every 3rd. See Epic Barbarian, Druid, Monk, and Rogue. Contrast with Epic Cleric, Wizard, and Sorcerer, who gets the same number of bonus feats but zero class features.

Niezck
2012-03-29, 01:53 AM
I'd say that's a pretty packed epic progression. With all the class features and a free Demilich template... I'd say bonus feats every 5th or even more infrequent than that. Bonus epic feats for a spellcasting class are already really good nevermind all the other stuff.

Giegue
2012-03-29, 08:40 AM
As far as bonus feats I'm really, really surprised Undead Mastery and Zone of Animation are not listed there. If you don't know what those do, Undead Mastery(the epic feat, not the DN class feature) gives you a MASSIVE boost to the number of undead you can control while Zone of animation allows you to burn rebuke attempts to animate large amounts of undead. While those feats where initially made with clerics in mind, they are talior made for DNs, with their prerequisites being having rebuke undead and a certain charisma score, which the DN as a cha-based caster will have.(Thankfully, they don't have a wis requirement despite being made for clerics initially.)

Cieyrin
2012-03-29, 09:03 AM
I'd say that's a pretty packed epic progression. With all the class features and a free Demilich template... I'd say bonus feats every 5th or even more infrequent than that. Bonus epic feats for a spellcasting class are already really good nevermind all the other stuff.

I'd say ever 5th.

Also, Demilich says it's acquired at 20th, not 30th.

Circle of Life
2012-03-29, 09:43 AM
Given that this advances real class features and then some, I'd say a single bonus feat at 25th. Also, the wording of Demilich Transformation appears to have a copy/paste error from the DN entry, mentioning 20th level instead of 30th.

RaggedAngel
2012-03-29, 09:51 AM
Given that this advances real class features and then some, I'd say a single bonus feat at 25th. Also, the wording of Demilich Transformation appears to have a copy/paste error from the DN entry, mentioning 20th level instead of 30th.

The vast majority of the class features are just "more crappy saves vs disease per day!", but I switched the bonus feat to just level 25. Just remember that at this level any opponent worth his salt is going to ignore disease and will likely be able to shrug off 1d6/level negative energy, if not be outright immune to it.

I fixed the wording; that's what I get for making a class that late. :smallwink:

Circle of Life
2012-03-29, 10:17 AM
The table and text on Bonus Feats now contradict each other. :smalltongue:

[/nitpick]

RaggedAngel
2012-03-29, 10:31 AM
The table and text on Bonus Feats now contradict each other. :smalltongue:

[/nitpick]

:smalltongue: Fixed, and thank you.

Cieyrin
2012-03-29, 10:48 AM
Hmm, now I'm curious about an Epic Dread Necro with an Epic Destiny would look...