PDA

View Full Version : The Elric Brothers.

hushblade
2012-03-29, 06:19 AM
So I was reading Urpriest's new guide which linked to the BG monster class thread and saw the awakened iron golem (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9557.msg376262#msg376262) and instantly thought of Al Elric.
So I looked around the thread some more and saw the half golem template prc (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9557.msg354558#msg354558)

I was wondering how one would best build these brothers using these as a base. Al would probably be fairly straight forward, take the iron golem class for at least nine levels for the runed plating ability to imitate some alchemy, perhaps a sorcerer dip into a gish PRC? but overall he's a melee fighter with a little bit of alchemy. Ed on the other hand would be a bit harder to pin down. He's got a lot of transmutation spells, somewhat roguish, a fairly competent fighter. any ideas?

Prime32
2012-03-29, 06:27 AM
First, the old boards are out of date and may or may not be infested with viruses. Use the new ones. (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?board=34)

Second, Ed isn't so much a half-golem as a guy with a prosthetic arm. The Renegade Mastermaker PrC from Magic of Eberron is a better fit, and lets him keep up his casting. Maybe some enlightened fist, or Tashalatora?

Kogak
2012-03-29, 07:38 AM
I haven't checked to see what the mechanical differences would be, but wouldn't a "Dread Guard" from the MMII be a better fit for Al? It's basically an animated suit of armor as a construct. Advance it to large (11 HD?) and give it awaken as per the "Awaken Construct" spell or the living golem, whichever is more appropriate thematically. In the show/movie/whatever, Al had a rune inscribed in his armor that could not get wet or broken or his spirit would no longer be bound to the armor. If you are looking to replicate that... I am not sure off hand how you would.

I am not terribly familiar with the artificer, but might it make sense as a class for Ed? I know only they are masters of craft. Might be better for Winry.

INoKnowNames
2012-03-29, 07:55 AM
Advance the Golem to Large? I thought you'd need to play Ed as a Halfling Wizard! :smallbiggrin:

hushblade
2012-03-29, 08:09 AM
Al is the large golem, I'm fairly certain the half-golem template(Ed) I posted had no growth.

Nizaris
2012-03-29, 09:31 AM
Really the only magical ability that they have is the ability to use True Creation with a somatic component instead of a material one. Ed can't be a Renegade because of his inability to really repair his prosthetics. They're more of a Tashalatora psionic artificer with a modified power list of nothing but transmutations and a very early access to the True Creation power.

INoKnowNames
2012-03-29, 09:56 AM
I was making a joke that rather than to make Al bigger, just make Ed smaller. To emphasise him being the runt that he is. :smalltongue:

Cieyrin
2012-03-29, 10:02 AM
Really the only magical ability that they have is the ability to use True Creation with a somatic component instead of a material one. Ed can't be a Renegade because of his inability to really repair his prosthetics. They're more of a Tashalatora psionic artificer with a modified power list of nothing but transmutations and a very early access to the True Creation power.

True Creation is probably acquired through a template, considering everyone capable of that has to have seen the Gate and be changed by it, which describes a Template perfectly.