PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Magus Combo: Fail or Success?

Chained Birds
2012-03-29, 07:48 AM
Just wanted to run a combo by everyone here to see if it actually works or not.

Character:

- Magus lvl 8.
- Vanilla Magus.
- Magus has Haste cast on him via spell or item.
- Has a +1 Spellstoring Scimitar.
- Spellstoring has Force Punch (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/force-punch) in it.

The Combo:

Magus begins his turn next to a medium-sized humanoid with fairly low AC (Basically a charger). The Magus starts up using his turn by using his extra Standard Action to deliver a Force Punch to the opponent sending him 40ft into the air (After passing the Concentration check).
The Magus then follows up with Spell Combat and casts Force Hook Charge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/force-hook-charge) on the the enemy allowing the Magus to fly up to him to continue his assault.
In the air, the Magus attacks the enemy with his melee attacks. If any hit, the Magus will activate the Spellstoring property of his Scimitar to hit the enemy with a new Force Punch sending him back down 40ft.
Magus will then make an acrobatics check to avoid some of the damage from the fall, and gloat about pulling off such a rediculous combo.

My question: Does this work? If not, is there a way to get this to work?

On a side note, if the Magus can't Force Punch the enemy up into the air, then he'll instead direct him towards a vacant area and then back to the starting point.

Drakoun
2012-03-29, 07:58 AM
In PF haste doesn't grant you another standart action, just one more attack.

Psyren
2012-03-29, 08:30 AM
Yep, and you only get the extra attack on a full-attack besides.

Chained Birds
2012-03-29, 09:07 AM
Oh bummer. I wish the Spell Combat would let me Melee > Magic > Melee. But it says I can't so I'm trying to find a way around it...

Any suggestions on how to make this work?

Cieyrin
2012-03-29, 09:52 AM
Oh bummer. I wish the Spell Combat would let me Melee > Magic > Melee. But it says I can't so I'm trying to find a way around it...

Any suggestions on how to make this work?

Quicken your first Force Punch, via Metamagic Rod, feat or Arcana, and it should work just fine. Finish with a Feather Fall, which'll suck up your swift for next round, or get a ring of feather fall and you don't even have to worry about falling damage. Quickening a 3rd level spell at 8th is a bit tough without shenanigans, though, like Magic Lineage and Spell Perfection.

jaybird
2012-03-29, 12:41 PM
Quickening a 3rd level spell at 8th is a bit tough without shenanigans, though, like Magic Lineage and Spell Perfection.

What I really want to know is how you can get Spell Perfection at level 8 :smalltongue:

Chained Birds
2012-03-29, 12:59 PM
I was afraid quicken would be my only option, how disappointing.

Blyte
2012-03-29, 01:14 PM
dang, that sounded like a really neato "air combo" bro.

perhaps use "pushing strikes" or a "greater bullrush".. I know it's not an air combo, but you could always fluff in the air combo

Cieyrin
2012-03-29, 02:10 PM
What I really want to know is how you can get Spell Perfection at level 8 :smalltongue:

Should I have emphasized "shenanigans"? :smalltongue: SHENANIGANS!

grarrrg
2012-03-29, 05:08 PM
Should I have emphasized "shenanigans"? :smalltongue: SHENANIGANS!

I believe the OP was attempting Shoryuken, not shenanigans.
:smalltongue::smallcool:

Crasical
2012-03-29, 09:32 PM
Force punch indeed launches a target straight back, so you can't use it as a launcher. Sorry.

EDIT: Tangentially related, but my 4e party does something like this with it's two Swordmages. They both mark the same target, so when it attacks anyone but them, the first teleports the target up into the air, then the second teleports to the monster, slashes it, then rides it to the ground.

Voyager_I
2012-03-29, 09:43 PM
Force punch indeed launches a target straight back, so you can't use it as a launcher. Sorry.

EDIT: Tangentially related, but my 4e party does something like this with it's two Swordmages. They both mark the same target, so when it attacks anyone but them, the first teleports the target up into the air, then the second teleports to the monster, slashes it, then rides it to the ground.

No, that just means we need to find a way to get under it to start the combo.

Then we need to find a way to keep chaining Force Punch and Force Hook to launch both caster and target ever higher into the air.

We're talking about magic here. There's nothing it can't break.

Crasical
2012-03-29, 09:53 PM
No, that just means we need to find a way to get under it to start the combo.

Then we need to find a way to keep chaining Force Punch and Force Hook to launch both caster and target ever higher into the air.

We're talking about magic here. There's nothing it can't break.

Take the free five foot step you're entitled to with a full attack to move into the Enemy's square with Acrobatics?

RndmNumGen
2012-03-29, 11:48 PM
Unless I'm missing something, Force Punch would also only send the target 20 feet up in the air, since it's 5 ft/2 caster levels.

grarrrg
2012-03-29, 11:51 PM
Unless I'm missing something, Force Punch would also only send the target 20 feet up in the air, since it's 5 ft/2 caster levels.

Correction noted.
But the basic effect is still the same, the main problem is seeing if this is even viable.

Take the free five foot step you're entitled to with a full attack to move into the Enemy's square with Acrobatics?

Monkey Style to the rescue!!

Specifically Monkey Shine (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/monkey-shine-combat).
On the turn BEFORE you Shoryuken you use a Stunning Fist and enter their square.

HIGHLY recommended you dip Master of Many Styles (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/master-of-many-styles) Monk. 1 level gets you 3 of the pre-req feats, a 2nd level will get you the fourth.
Then it's just a matter of Skill Ranks (unless you can afford another 4 levels of Monk).